Beginning work towards a Shadowtrooper from Battlefront

Hello! I have not yet worked on a costume but have always wanted to make some sort of imperial trooper. After some thought I decided to work on a Blackhole trooper, but had realized there were differences (minimal or major) between the current Shadowtrooper and the Battlefront Shadowtrooper. Therefore I decided to take some initiative and acquired in-game photos of the trooper. (Thanks to my brother for the help!)

Shadow%20Trooper%207.1_zps2nbuarfr.png

Shadow%20Trooper%204.1_zpsyoncsees.png

Shadow%20Trooper%201.1_zpsrvuivjog.png

Shadow%20Trooper%206.1_zpsow3gljop.png

Shadow%20Trooper%2011.1_zpstvvn5ajv.png

Shadow%20Trooper%203.1_zpsr3ua6idg.png

Shadow%20Trooper%202.1_zpst5gpkvnz.png

Shadow%20Trooper%208.1_zpskfvarmhy.png

Shadow%20Trooper%2010.1_zpscpac7hol.png

Shadow%20Trooper%209.1_zpsqyymav3d.png

Shadow%20Trooper%205.1_zpsjen0zgru.png

Shadow%20Trooper%2012.1_zpsgvm4ubjw.png

Here are the differences I have noticed between the CRL Shadowtrooper and the Shadowtrooper from

Battlefront;

The helmet

- The "ears" are only black, including the body of each ear.

- The lenses are only bubble and, on top of obscuring the eyes, are mirrored

- The tube stripes are only blue

- The stripe above the eyes is black but noticably different from the material of the helmet.

- The aerators and screening are both completly and only black

- The Vocoder is only silver

- The frown must only be silver

The abdomen armor

- There is a vader-like "box" of 9 lines with a single button underneath these lines. to the right of these lines and button is a series of 4 verticle lines. This box is the same as the one on the CRL, except it is flipped and turned upside down.

- Unlike the CRL, there is no material that protrudes past the base material of the abdomen armor that follows the box or any sort of pattern, but rather there is a line that follows the length of the abdomen armor to the left and right of the "box".

- To the right of the box and across the line is a verticle, thin "box" that has three buttons with amable space between.

- To the left of the box is a knob-like buldge that seems to protrude from the armor itself.

Hand plates

- The handplates and their shape are, unlike the pentagonal shape on the CRL, a squared, rounded-edges shape.

The gloves appear to be the same material as the under-armor.

The kidney/back armor

- The kidney armor is niether flush with nor under the back armor.

- As a side note, it appears to me that the kidney and the posterior armors are a singular and connected piece, yet are not connected to the abdomen.

The belt

-There IS 6 rectangular boxes on the belt, but there are no buttons like the belt on the CRL.

- The material holding the boxes appears to be a sort of material similar to the rest of the armor, but the back half of the belt seems to be the same material as the under-armor and gloves.

The thighs/lower legs

- The left thigh follows the shape of the left knee closly and is more dramatic than the CRL trooper, causing the knee to nearly fill the gap when bent upwards.

- The legs and their knees keep the gap between the upper and lower legs to a minimal, and the gap on the right leg is the same all the way around.

And I know, this MAY be a bit tough to see, but there is also a white imperial cog/symbol on the left of the chest-plate in case you couldn't see it :)

I would like the CRL team, and anybody interested in this project as well to, if possible, review my observations in case I missed any observations or interpreted any incorrectly, and to make recommendations on my next step. As a non-standerd Shadowtrooper, I understand the difficulties of finding an exact, or even close, kit and would like guidance on how to make this into a reality. As I am entering the 501st for the first time, any guidance or help is greatly appreciated! :)

• Like 1

The armor appear to be ROTJ style and the hand plates are ESB style. The large "ab" plate is upside down . Those are a few differences I see.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So i take it this would be getting its own CRL than?

Cool had no idea about the battlefront version.

No worries folks will help out best we can.

I'll try to start crl stuff soon :)

Please refer here for CRL work

A lot of it is kept simple and will rely on the visual aids for verification. The style of the armor is definitely ROTJ

http://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/topic/4957-battlefront-shadow-stormtrooper-crl-work/

Thank you very much for starting work on the CRL! I'm really glad it'll be getting it's own, Ive always thought the two costumes were different enough.

I'd like to start working on this physically so that there can be reference pics of somebody in the costume rather than the game, and I also just really want to start work on a Battlefront shadow trooper haha. So as someone who hasn't worked on any costume before, where should I start? I'd assume start by ordering the armor, but since this is a mix of Shadow Trooper and ROTJ, should I purchase a stormtrooper kit from ROTJ (And, if I can, special order it black or do the painting on it after I receive)? Would that be step 1?

• Like 1

No worries I enjoy writing CRL's and its always great to see more costumes added to spec ops.

That is a great question actually. Ya know you have a lot of options so I will give you some thoughts and see what you think.

There are soo many vendors available now so its not going to be to hard tracking down some ROTJ armor. I am unsure of your budget so I would suggest shop around.

So you have an options:

1. of getting armor pulled in ROTJ style in the gloss black so speak with vendors or

2. like you said get a TK ROTJ style and get it professionally painted at a body shop for super gloss or paint it yourself.

So again really depends on your budget and what will work best for you. I am hoping that it wont be such a chore to get this done but i think it will be fine.

Once you decide and order your kit and I know you will have to wait start getting your gloves, canvas belt if one does not come with your kit, supplies to put it together, boots other items you might need.

Also research the construction on this is (shadow stormtrooper build threads/ assembly videos)really going to be the same as any other shadow storm trooper just the noticeable differences like for instance

the imperial cog placement will be left up to getting it as close to the reference pics as possible and then once we have that measurement we can add that to the CRL.

Another is the length of the drop boxes which we need to figure out.

So since you being the first it has to be right and do it well :)

Just always ask questions if you are unsure, try not to be overwhelmed and just take it one step at a time.

I wish you best of luck on your build this is very exciting :D

Thank you very much for starting work on the CRL! I'm really glad it'll be getting it's own, Ive always thought the two costumes were different enough.

I'd like to start working on this physically so that there can be reference pics of somebody in the costume rather than the game, and I also just really want to start work on a Battlefront shadow trooper haha. So as someone who hasn't worked on any costume before, where should I start? I'd assume start by ordering the armor, but since this is a mix of Shadow Trooper and ROTJ, should I purchase a stormtrooper kit from ROTJ (And, if I can, special order it black or do the painting on it after I receive)? Would that be step 1?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! So a quick update on where I'm at:

I've begun my search (Had a couple of things in the real world to deal with first) and have contacted an armor maker, WTF (Walt's Trooper Factory). He informed that they don't do ROTJ, are there any other specific recommendations for makers that I can get into contact with?

Hi everyone! So a quick update on where I'm at:

I've begun my search (Had a couple of things in the real world to deal with first) and have contacted an armor maker, WTF (Walt's Trooper Factory). He informed that they don't do ROTJ, are there any other specific recommendations for makers that I can get into contact with?

I believe Walt's Armor can definitely be used. All that needs to be added is the trim. Glue your plate in upside down.

The Battlefront TX helmet to me does not look too much like ROTJ style. May just be me though.

Only item that would need to be outsourced is the hand guards.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is what my brother and I were thinking as well. I brought this up to my local garrison, and they mentioned the overlaps/coverstrips. As I am new at trying to figure out which kit I need to purchase, I do not know what these terms mean at the moment, and will these affect how I proceed and if I should still consider WTF?

WTF makes some awesome quality armor. It can really withstand the wear and tear of trooping. Also it looks like the armor has U shaped gasket around the edges of it like the Stormtrooper Commander.

This is what my brother and I were thinking as well. I brought this up to my local garrison, and they mentioned the overlaps/coverstrips. As I am new at trying to figure out which kit I need to purchase, I do not know what these terms mean at the moment, and will these affect how I proceed and if I should still consider WTF?
It depends if the crl is going to call for the overlap method. If it is Walt's may not work.

Oh and over lap is just gluing the pieces directly on top of each other. Instead of the anh/ESB style of having both haves attached by the coverstrip.

At this point the WTF kit would be fine because again its mostly just adding the gaskets well as the inverted button detail. So in these aspects it is ROTJ style but not overkill if you know what I mean.

Please refer to the work in progress CRL.

http://forum.501stsp...ooper-crl-work/

No overlap method is required the regular method is fine for closing the shins.

The standard helmet should be fine as long as it is not FX.

The drop boxes are not the standard size so that will be something to look into as well as the hand plates. These two items are definetly the ones that will require some thought as they are not the standard items. Honestly not too bad when it comes down to it.

Again we are not trying to reinvent the wheel and keeping it as simple as possible for members.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, just ordered from WTF! I'm very excited to start working on this, though it may take a couple of months to arrive. Nevertheless, before the end of the year (most likely within a few months) I'll begin working towards a Battlefront Shadowtrooper! Thanks for the help so far everyone, I can't wait to get started!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Alright, so I have received WTF's armor set and laid it out here. Below are two pictures with different lighting, as discussed this will be based off the Battlefront Shadowtrooper and I will update this once again when construction has started. Any tips before I begin (likely won't be for a couple weeks) would be greatly appreciated, though I know for a majority of this build it will be a normal Shadowtrooper, just some differences here and there. Thanks again everyone!

37263264122_4394b371e6.jpg

37435249135_7d2d26dd06.jpg

• Like 1
Alright, so I have received WTF's armor set and laid it out here. Below are two pictures with different lighting, as discussed this will be based off the Battlefront Shadowtrooper and I will update this once again when construction has started. Any tips before I begin (likely won't be for a couple weeks) would be greatly appreciated, though I know for a majority of this build it will be a normal Shadowtrooper, just some differences here and there. Thanks again everyone!

I just got my kit in today too! ✊

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

where would I go to purchase WTF armor? and how much does it cost?
  • Like 1

Hey! So I haven't made much progress, though I'm ready to start building the helmet and putting it together. All of the pieces are sittin in the work area and ready to go, it's just that I have two weeks left in this semester of college then winter break, so that's probably when I'll get the most progres to be honest. Expect some update photos within the either just before or after Christmas!

(Side note, I'll be starting with the helmet and probably either work my down or from outside in)

As far as purchasing, I contacted him through Facebook. Just look up Walts Trooper Factory Facebook and you'll find it. Message him directly and you'll be able to make a purchase request directly and quickly there. That's how I did it atleast. He will direct and guide you through the process :)

• Like 1

I hear ya on that i just finished this semester last friday. I still have yet to touch anything for my shadow evo trooper. Looking forward to seeing your progress and good luck with your final exams and/or projects :D yay

Hey! So I haven't made much progress, though I'm ready to start building the helmet and putting it together. All of the pieces are sittin in the work area and ready to go, it's just that I have two weeks left in this semester of college then winter break, so that's probably when I'll get the most progres to be honest. Expect some update photos within the either just before or after Christmas!

(Side note, I'll be starting with the helmet and probably either work my down or from outside in)

As far as purchasing, I contacted him through Facebook. Just look up Walts Trooper Factory Facebook and you'll find it. Message him directly and you'll be able to make a purchase request directly and quickly there. That's how I did it atleast. He will direct and guide you through the process :)