PaulM DT Build

21 hours ago, Devolver said:

Wow man, that is great work on that undersuit, especially considering you made your own pattern! 

Thanks Zac, It defiantly took some time to get it right. A lot of practice pieces before I cut into the good stuff.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Hi there, how is the project comming along?

I'm currently working on Jims DT kit myself anw was hoping you could share your process on sdanding and filling the armorpieces?
I sanded with 120 and 240 and now applied 2 thick coats of filler primer, but the little potholes are still around. I think I'll sand it all down with 120 and start filling everything by hand216065255_IMG_20200519_211027(1).thumb.jpg.1a305b6478ca04b5363c45a0d06e6b95.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2020 at 2:55 AM, Ins71a said:

Hi there, how is the project comming along?

I'm currently working on Jims DT kit myself anw was hoping you could share your process on sdanding and filling the armorpieces?
I sanded with 120 and 240 and now applied 2 thick coats of filler primer, but the little potholes are still around. I think I'll sand it all down with 120 and start filling everything by hand216065255_IMG_20200519_211027(1).thumb.jpg.1a305b6478ca04b5363c45a0d06e6b95.jpg

Sorry didn't get back to you I haven't been on for some time now. All I did was I used a scratch putty compound to fill holes. Then just sand , prime , repeat until the holes were gone.

Very time consuming. 

1 hour ago, PaulM said:

I'm trying to load more photos but it won't let me. Any suggestions. 

Use imgur... there is an option to paste bcc codes for your photos, it's how I post all my photos

lmThMlU.jpgOne more. I inserted a piece of a coat hanger on the front of the covers so it would form to the boot better. Also incorporated the laces and velco to hold it better to the boot. Hopefully it won’t shift around to much. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there. TK 87109 here. I am looking into a DT build and Jim's kit is high on my list. What paint did you use?

Also, if I go with Jim it will be my first fiberglass kit. Is it as easy to work with and trim as ABS plastic? What do you use to trim it?

14 hours ago, willeywonka said:

Hi there. TK 87109 here. I am looking into a DT build and Jim's kit is high on my list. What paint did you use?

Also, if I go with Jim it will be my first fiberglass kit. Is it as easy to work with and trim as ABS plastic? What do you use to trim it?

Hi,

Jim’s kit is pretty easy to work on. It’s all trimmed and easy to sand if you cut to much off it’s easy to fix. Most of the trimming I had to do I used a dremel. The only real issue I had was the shins. I had to mod them to get a better fit. The paint I used was Rustoleum appliance paint. It went on easy and I didn’t have to clear coat it. Hope this helps you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask I’ll try to help you anyway I can. 

On 8/5/2020 at 6:25 AM, PaulM said:

Hi,

Jim’s kit is pretty easy to work on. It’s all trimmed and easy to sand if you cut to much off it’s easy to fix. Most of the trimming I had to do I used a dremel. The only real issue I had was the shins. I had to mod them to get a better fit. The paint I used was Rustoleum appliance paint. It went on easy and I didn’t have to clear coat it. Hope this helps you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask I’ll try to help you anyway I can. 

Thanks for the info! Did you have to mod the shins to a larger size? I have pretty large calves so there is a good chance I will need to do so as well.

50 minutes ago, willeywonka said:

Thanks for the info! Did you have to mod the shins to a larger size? I have pretty large calves so there is a good chance I will need to do so as well.

Yes that’s what I had to do. The problem was is that I couldn’t get them to close around my ankles with the boots on. I might down the road 3D print some new ones. 

On 7/17/2020 at 12:52 AM, PaulM said:

lmThMlU.jpgOne more. I inserted a piece of a coat hanger on the front of the covers so it would form to the boot better. Also incorporated the laces and velco to hold it better to the boot. Hopefully it won’t shift around to much. 

I recommend gluing the front of the spat to the boot

• Thanks 1
On 8/8/2020 at 8:38 PM, nanotek said:

I recommend gluing the front of the spat to the boot

I’ll most likely  shape the front of the spat to the boot and then secure it better so that it won’t move around. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, PaulM said:

Its been a long road but I finally submitted my pictures. It's been a great journey on this build with lots of ups and downs. I will defiantly take on another project

like this. Thanks to everyone on and off this forum it's been a trip.

https://imgur.com/17IMgrd

Well I typed a response last night n it didnt save lol. Weird.

Anyways...best wishes on ur submission!  Please keep us posted on the result!