IAT Patches

I'm starting an Engineer build, and I've been reading about the supply issues with the patches.

I've looked into options to do a custom run of the patches myself - I can convert and prep the artwork into the correct formats, and I've got some rough cost estimates for a 50-100 piece run. (Due to setup costs, it costs nearly as much to do 10 vs 50). After that I'd just want to recoup my costs with the remaining patches.

I don't mind taking the up-front risk in case it doesn't turn out well, I just want to make sure nobody would object to me doing this before I invest in the idea. 

One thing I needed to confirm - is the overall width of the patch 3", 3.1", or 3.25"? (assuming it's one of those three since those seem to the most common imperial uniform patch sizes)

I JUST  posted a topic about this! I managed to order several for our local group but the need is definitely there and people are on hold at this time. 

I have my patches in front of me and they are 5.00" tall overall, and 2 7/8" wide overall.  I think 3" would be realistic without noticing a difference in the overall shape of the patch. I  personally really would like to keep the colors consistent so that people joining now with new patches would match Sebastions original run.  I will go ahead and add your name to the post I made since you are "seeking patches" at this time. 

• 3 weeks later...

So it seemed like the existing supply issue was getting some attention, but who knows at this point - so I'm going to go ahead with this. Here's my plan:

1. Next couple days, I'll finish the drawing and post it for review (it's going to be a close-as-possible copy, just in vector format)
  2. If it passes review I'll order a run of patches (probably 100)
  3. Once I get a finished item in-hand I'll post pictures for approval
  4. If they look good I can also, if needed, send a sample to someone to compare with the previous version.
  5. If/when approved, I'll spin up an etsy store for people to order from.

• Like 3

Here's the first draft. Made a couple small tweaks, that probably aren't noticeable at arms' length, but might as well clean things up while I'm at it:

• Made lines a consistent width
  • Straightened side edges
  • Updated Imp crest with a more accurate version - this one should match what i'm seeing elsewhere in  501st patches

The colors are the tricky bit now - I used the picture of the patch from the CRL and sampled those colors for the redesign. I need to compare them against the available thread colors to find the closest match.

Here's a link to a PDF, that will print the patch on US letter at the same 3" wide by 5" tall size, just have to check that you aren't scaling the printout, if anyone wants to compare the size. If we need to scale it up/down that's easy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qE9s3j0ABU7LEkgf_G9c9l044G2GiWFY/view?usp=sharing

comparison.png

• Like 2

These are the same size as the original run. I would however, like to go back and revisit the size. I always felt that these may have been a bit too large compared to those shown in the comics. If we can have another run with a greater accuracy, that would be best.

DH03 IA Trooper.jpgDH08 IA Trooper.jpgDH18 IA Janek Sunber.jpgDH24 IA Janek Sunber.jpg

Though the size does change from panel to panel, I don't believe any of them are as large as our current patches are. Maybe I'll play around with resizing this image and see if I can print something out that looks closer to the reference images. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...