Yiyo's First Order Flametrooper WIP

Hi team, after 8 approved 501st costumes, some being complex (wampa) and my last one being the First Order Snowtrooper, I thought the Flametrooper would be an excellent addition to my First Order addiction!

I am currently stationed at the Spanish Garrison, which I love :)

I know this is a difficult build due to the limited resources, but I hope you can invest some minutes of your busy lives in helping me out, even if it's just a cheer, as this advances.

Shopping List:

Bucket: SGB 

D93: Diversity Props (In transit)

Tanks: HomeMade

Boots: FO TK

Gloves: Endor Finders

Neck Seal and Undersuit: FO TK

Gaskets: Diversity Props

Armor: developing it with Diversity Props, and have been looking into 850 Armor Works.

Any advice as to where, after KB aren't doing so well at the moment, I can enquire regarding the armor. 850's version seems pretty decent.

So while the D93 is in transit, I began work on the SGB helmet - not too keen on the quality, but the sculpt is nice and the size is great.

Right out of the box:

zQNZkpv.jpg

3gxDic4.jpg

sQswAFJ.jpg

I immediately detected some issues with the mold and contacted Jason - problem is, that I am in Spain and shipping a new helmet means I would have to pay another 27% on top for import taxes again, so I decided to fix myself. It will add a couple hours work, but I enjoy the trip :)

QzGDqtJ.jpg

PBpw3Dv.jpg

Couple coats of oven cleaner and then I sanded the head opening, cut out the visor with my trusty old exacto knife and gave it all a 280gr wet sand.

YA2zhL4.jpg

zIkZoJA.jpg

Need to start filling and sanding next, which is the step I most hate in any build.....

The SGB helmet does require a lot of filling and sanding. I didn’t realize just how much until I went to paint mine. Once you get that all done, it ends up being one of the better looking flametrooper helmets available. I know Curtis Renninger found one that was just slightly smaller; big enough to look the proper size, but just small enough to allow for some movement without it always banging on the tanks and back armor. I can’t remember where he got it from though.

I’m going to have some measurements for pack frame coming your way later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Darth Pleatsalot said:

The SGB helmet does require a lot of filling and sanding. I didn’t realize just how much until I went to paint mine. Once you get that all done, it ends up being one of the better looking flametrooper helmets available. I know Curtis Renninger found one that was just slightly smaller; big enough to look the proper size, but just small enough to allow for some movement without it always banging on the tanks and back armor. I can’t remember where he got it from though.

I’m going to have some measurements for pack frame coming your way later today.

Many thanks!!

TBH; at 6.2-6.3 in boots, I appreciate the slightly larger version hjajaajaaj This is why I will build my own pack as well, just to get it to fit to size :)

Thanks for your help!

SGB does take some work have a shore and tie lid from him and might get the flame later.]

Just make sure you sand the seam down before filling. I use small batches of bondo, I prefer it over the glazing putty. I get my primer layer all close to perfect and sand the primer layer all the way up to 3000.

Helps first time around to use like a yellow or bright colored primer to find all the pinholes and imperfections. That and good lighting, or a flash light

Hey brother! Love the flame! I am almost complete with my own (need to update my build thread on here.)

If you need anything or have any questions, I have TONS of pics and such. Some from on here and others I got from other resources. I am going to see if I can make the first chick one. ;)

On 7/14/2018 at 2:54 PM, heartstopper85 said:

SGB does take some work have a shore and tie lid from him and might get the flame later.]

Just make sure you sand the seam down before filling. I use small batches of bondo, I prefer it over the glazing putty. I get my primer layer all close to perfect and sand the primer layer all the way up to 3000.

Helps first time around to use like a yellow or bright colored primer to find all the pinholes and imperfections. That and good lighting, or a flash light

THanks Sarge! Yes, I have worked on an SGB lid before and remember the hard work, but I definitely like this sculpt, the lid looks good and it sits well on me! IT will take me at least a week to get this ready :)

Just received my D93 from Diversity Props this morning, so another exciting part of the costume :)

12 hours ago, Scubacat said:

Hey brother! Love the flame! I am almost complete with my own (need to update my build thread on here.)

If you need anything or have any questions, I have TONS of pics and such. Some from on here and others I got from other resources. I am going to see if I can make the first chick one. ;)

Excellent that you are so close! I am really in love with this costume and know it's going to be a real pain to wear taking into account my size, but it's so beautiful! LOL
Have been checking your build thread and the others and have a couple questions I can post on there.
Thanks for your support!

Been working hard the last couple days plus the extreme Summer heat in Madrid affects everything I do and would like to do!

I filled and sanded a couple times and added the first layer of grey primer to get all the dings and dangs that need fixing, visible.

B9uhqex.jpg

p2VRFrG.jpg

hmHiqdX.jpg

5fHZxQE.jpg

lf1dDBG.jpg

I also added a first layer of Motip Putty Spray to the air thingys, to get rid of the pinholes:

oMTFUu1.jpg

Airsoft padding arrived early :)

8SlXm2t.jpg

I also received my D93 kit yesterday, and will post a pic of all the pieces this evening.

D93 from Diversity Props - missing a couple of pieces, but they are on the way!

Absolutely stunning work from Wayne and Sebastian, I am pleasantly surprised by the smoothness of the pieces - even if they have been printed with the correct colors, I will still Motip Putty Spray and then spray paint.

Love this thing and it will look absolutely excellent in my hands taking into account the size.

yDSTY0K.jpg

• Like 1

At the boring stage right now, so will try not to post too many pics - have changed from a plastic bondo to a plastic putty for the smaller pinholes and such. Hope to get this nicely sanded tonight as soon as I get the kids to bed, and hopefully prime again to see what has to be filled in again hahahahaha the vicious cycle!

gLu02wy.jpg

F0iLYBc.jpg

Dk9bDzb.jpg

Got my gloves! Need to dig out the undersuit and boots from when I was going to my FOTK a couple years back.....will reuse for the TLJ FOTK I want to do next year hahahaha

udRqs9t.png

Still stuck at that point of filling and sanding....  I did set-up the D93 and prepared electronics, but I snapped 2 pieces that I will receive next week :)

aVhY84J.jpg

XdIuOEM.jpg

vYJld3U.jpg

3UQFIDJ.jpg

2kQgQDF.jpg

I will stop updating the helmet until it's ready for paint :)

D93 is like this right now:

dWcjK8v.jpg?1

3z5yX1K.jpg

zPJUclB.jpg

I had to reinforce some parts as I just know they won't stand to my active way of trooping

IelNIrw.jpg

For most of the pieces, I simplyu glued in a 20mm pipe to add some strength to the joints

731wdK1.jpg

For the back pack, I found some excellent thin pvc tubing in white, so this should be a plus, still have to think about the top and bottom caps, they seem to be the hardest parts. Will buy some 25mm pvc tube this afternoon for the back structure and start shaping. These white tubes are 150mm and 100mm diameter, I am very large and wide, so this will fit me perfectly - at last a costume, after 11 of them, that I can actually size to fit properly!

DHkfOL3.jpg

PG4dgGc.jpg

Make sure your tubes are 6” and 4” ;). Also I am going to have a friend vacuum form the half sphere caps for me. Want me to see if I can get a second set for you?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Scubacat said:

Make sure your tubes are 6” and 4” ;). Also I am going to have a friend vacuum form the half sphere caps for me. Want me to see if I can get a second set for you?

hi Torri!

6" is 152mm, my large tube is 150mm (0.09" less) and the smaller 4" is 101mm, mine is 100mm  (0.06" les) - these are standard EU measurements and I would say pretty precise :) Thanks for the reminder as I thought this was simply made to measure, i.e. Crl does not specify measurements and just like my Snowtrooper backpack is tiny on me and standard on others, I thought this was a little more "free build", but I have nailed the measurements!!! hahahahahahha

I also got all the measurements for the MLC Fibreglassing products and am using those, so fingers crossed  I can get through this!! I made the HWT backpack, so hopefully I can do this one :)

I would definitely be interested in the sphere caps - otherwise I will have to look at rubber footballs at the kids section or similar - let me know!

Thanks for following the build, I appreciate the support!

• Like 1

Hi Spec Ops folk!

First things first, I cut the pvc tubes, I have never been good at getting straight cuts with pvc, even with the plastic guide thingy you can get at hardware stores. I discovered this method online and it works wonders, at least for me. After using tape for the measurements I am looking for, I simply add a round clamp of these and cut away, excellent method :)

prR2Icz.jpg

NEPIN14.jpg

yON8xV0.jpg

I wasn't able to do much this weekend, and as an avid follower of Darth Pleatsalot's build thread, I decided to also design the central pieces that keep the tanks together. I will be honest with you all, this took me about an hour to get correct and all measurements matching..... I am no architect, engineer or similar..... just a regular mortal! Exciting part is that I will have to start looking up the rest of the pieces shortly, with the end caps being the most difficult, so fingers crossed I can get some off Torri :)

1p28u9q.jpg

I have more or less already cut one out of 5mm sintra, but it's difficult when it's so think - I didn't remember my mando armor being so difficult to cut, so patience, and I can hopefully have both pieces done tonight!

Hi!

Pressure gauge arrived and when I went to temporarily place all elements together, I realised I had made 2 major mistakes..... and these are real noob mistakes I am ashamed of after so much cosplay :)

1. Tubes are too close together, too bunched up, so I have had to create a new template which looks a lot better. What I hate is the time taken to carve away at the 5mm sintra.

mQft28J.jpg

New template is the one at the bottom, which I am a lot happier with!

F2OPrgR.jpg

2. I cut the tubes way too short, so another trip to Bricomart and 16€ later, I have another 6" tube. Have read they are 700mm from top to bottom, but will await Darth's response to se how long his are and will see if Torri can get me some caps :)

Just when I thought I was moving along, this happens.....

Hey bro! What is the size of the template you have. Getting going on mine and I can’t seem to find the size for the box anywhere in my notes. Also, hopefully going to be making caps this weekend. ;)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Scubacat said:

Hey bro! What is the size of the template you have. Getting going on mine and I can’t seem to find the size for the box anywhere in my notes. Also, hopefully going to be making caps this weekend. ;)

Hey Torri!!

Measurements are in cm on the actual photo, so if we take the photo reference above (it's the second template below), we have 39.2cm, 11.7cm, 7.7cm and 17cm. The large are 150mm or 6" and smaller one is 100mm or 4". I am not cutting out the "back" tube yet as I am not certain of the diamater, visually, it looks like a tube with a 50mm diameter would sit nicely because a 70mm looks too large.

Good luck on those caps, and thanks for even thinking about me :)

That is awesome! I am going to be hopefully making some progress this weekend. Last weekend it was all about weddings here in Colorado. Apparently this is the summer for it. 4 total. Lol

• Like 1
On 8/9/2018 at 1:14 AM, Scubacat said:

That is awesome! I am going to be hopefully making some progress this weekend. Last weekend it was all about weddings here in Colorado. Apparently this is the summer for it. 4 total. Lol

Sounds great, enjoy your weddings Torri!!!

I haven't gotten much done lately, been really busy with life stuff, you know, the stuff that gets in the way :)

I managed to break a couple pieces on the D93, easy fixes, but still annoying:

GrcyweR.jpg

nkF3auJ.jpg

This is the second piece I broke off, the trigger guard - 3D is great stuff, but it also breaks so easily......I have made a replacement from aluminum and will get it in place soon.

6y5jFQP.jpg

Based on various photo references, I decided to add tubing inside the barrels

AxKb2bY.jpg

I managed to get it more or less motipped this morning with putty, ready for a couple hours of sanding :)

AXBEic9.jpg

Tanks are coming along nicely, will take some pics asap!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scubacat said:

Hey bro, any progress on your build? ;)

None at the moment Torri! I hope to paint the D93 this weekend - to be honest, I am waiting for Diversity Props to print and mold the armor, as their design is amazing. I also got sidetracked by my 181st Pilot and OT SnowTrooper builds hahahhahaha I will be back on the pack very soon -  did you get anywhere with the caps? I didn't understand your post on Facebook :)