Best Death Trooper kit

Sadly,my initial project for my certification,my TR, has been put on indefinite suspesion,i'm making a TIE reserve for the certification.Next I would like to make the death trooper,only problem is prices,so I figured that buying a kit would be cheaper than a fiberglass or custom 3D-printed armor.I've been looking at kits from 850 and IB mainly.I'm not really on a budget but it might take me years to finish this,but what ABS kits do you recommend? I haven't put together a kit before but fortunately my friends will help me.

I'm currently working on my 850 DT and so far I have no complaints. I personally like ABS compared to FG & 3D Printed. I has been really easy to deal with and my kit was shipped the next day. Extremely fast shipping. I will definitely be buying another kit from them again.

• Thanks 1

Did you buy the kit with the helmet? I was thinking of buying the helmet from Armory Props because I want to put it some LEDs,can you do that with the 850 helmet?

Also,where did you get the soft parts? I was looking at IB's set and my only problem is with the boots and maybe the gloves,as a friend could make me the shirt and shorts

I did buy the helmet from 850. It’s a resin helmet so all I did was drill out the holes to add my LEDs.

For the boots bought them off the Doc Marten website:  Doc Martens Talib

Gloves: Endor Finders.  Awesome gloves!!

I will be making most of my soft parts, so I can help you there. 

10 hours ago, BLACKFOX said:

I did buy the helmet from 850. It’s a resin helmet so all I did was drill out the holes to add my LEDs.

For the boots bought them off the Doc Marten website:  Doc Martens Talib

Gloves: Endor Finders.  Awesome gloves!!

I will be making most of my soft parts, so I can help you there. 

I was thinking of ArmoryShop's helmet as it already has the LEDs integrated,but I'm not sure if I should get the kit with the helmet as I have never made a kit and I don't want to screw it.Do you have a link for the boots and the gloves? I've seen the websites and there are many models that look like the ones in the CRL.

Also what soft parts will you make? My friend could make me the shirt and shorts,but I'm not sure about how does the panel on the boots must be attached?

https://www.drmartens.com/ca/en_ca/p/mens-boots-brando-talib

There’s different ways to attach the covers to your boots. Just go through peoples WIP (work in progress) threads in the Death Trooper section within the forum.

https://www.endorfinders.com/costume-accessories/rogue-one-trooper-gloves

As for the soft parts. I’m making everything, minus the hard ribbed sections (ribbed mat supplied from 850 with the kit-I just need to trim to size).

The best thing to do is to start a WIP post and write down all of the components. That way you can see what you have, need and is completed.

Here’s my WIP thread for reference.

• Thanks 1

II havent't bought anything to start a WIP thread and I'm aware it will take me years to finish this.I'm gonna talk with my friend to see what soft parts he can make and buy the rest from IB or Endor Finders.

I'm still not sure about the 850 helmet,free time to make a kit is already a luxury for me and more if you add a helmet to the list.I could start buying the boots though,small progress but it's a starting point at least.Has anyone bought the finished AS helmet?

How did you attach the panel on the boots? I was thinking of a simple elastic or glue.

For my boots I made a leather strap that goes over the islet hole in the boots and attached velco to the leather. This way I don't have to glue anything to my boots and can wear them out of costume. If you click on my WIP link you can see how I made them.

• Like 2

To be honest, the weight difference of a fiberglass resin type kit is not that much. I have Jim Tripon's kit and it's weight is negligible. I am a 5'9" 54 year old medium build man and I can troop in that thing for hours. I've even walked in several holiday parades for over 2 miles in it. The secret to weight distribution is to use a good strapping system so that the parts move with you securely. Most people think of fiberglass as a multi-layered heavy material. The fiberglass resin that people like Jim and Andy use in their kits today are lighter than you would think, easy to work with when building, have higher details, AND more durable than ABS. You should try and find someone near you that has a kit and see for your self. 

"Chaos"
Chris Walker
TX 96706
Death Trooper
Shadowtrooper
ERWKps0.png

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Chaos said:

To be honest, the weight difference of a fiberglass resin type kit is not that much. I have Jim Tripon's kit and it's weight is negligible. I am a 5'9" 54 year old medium build man and I can troop in that thing for hours. I've even walked in several holiday parades for over 2 miles in it. The secret to weight distribution is to use a good strapping system so that the parts move with you securely. Most people think of fiberglass as a multi-layered heavy material. The fiberglass resin that people like Jim and Andy use in their kits today are lighter than you would think, easy to work with when building, have higher details, AND more durable than ABS. You should try and find someone near you that has a kit and see for your self. 

"Chaos"
Chris Walker
TX 96706
Death Trooper
Shadowtrooper
ERWKps0.png

Thank you very much,reconsidering prices I might have to suck it for the weight,do you have any link for their kits? Most vendors in Mexico use a very heavy resin.

I have Jim Tripon's kit , he is on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/jim.tripon

Also you can get with Andrew over at The Plastic Arms Dealer - https://www.etsy.com/shop/PlasticArmsDealer

Both are awesome fiberglass resin kits. 

Keep in mind that unfinished kits are less expensive than finished. Raw kits may seem daunting at first but they are actually fairly easy to assemble and finish. Key thing is to always take your time, measure twice/cut once, sand, sand, and sand again, and always triple any recommend cure times for any paint product.

Best of luck we are here for advice if you have any issues or questions.

• Thanks 1

I will throw in my .02

I went through Armory Shop on Etsy and here is why.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArmoryShop?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=720922722

Watch his Etsy page, he has sales. I personally got the Raw DT kit. 

It is custom to my size, I'm 6'4 perfect for a DT, I was a TK back in the day and had more black showing that I liked because the armor was "one size fits most".  This is no longer the issue with 3d printing. All of Armory Shops communication is via Etsy so you are protected, he sends you a size chart and get it done twice, by 2 different people to make sure your measured correctly.

(insert Sith wisdom of measure twice, cut once)

His English is perfect and your transaction is via Etsy/paypal so you are protected. He is also a one stop shop if you are interested. It took about 30 days to get it and I got the notification it was ready and on my door step in about  7 days, from Russia. The rubber wrist bands, the rubber shoulder straps, Rockets, Scanner and some stickers and patches are included. If you want I can post some pictures of what "raw" looks like. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Trooper3306 said:

I will throw in my .02

I went through Armory Shop on Etsy and here is why.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArmoryShop?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=720922722

Watch his Etsy page, he has sales. I personally got the Raw DT kit. 

It is custom to my size, I'm 6'4 perfect for a DT, I was a TK back in the day and had more black showing that I liked because the armor was "one size fits most".  This is no longer the issue with 3d printing. All of Armory Shops communication is via Etsy so you are protected, he sends you a size chart and get it done twice, by 2 different people to make sure your measured correctly.

(insert Sith wisdom of measure twice, cut once)

His English is perfect and your transaction is via Etsy/paypal so you are protected. He is also a one stop shop if you are interested. It took about 30 days to get it and I got the notification it was ready and on my door step in about  7 days, from Russia. The rubber wrist bands, the rubber shoulder straps, Rockets, Scanner and some stickers and patches are included. If you want I can post some pictures of what "raw" looks like. 

Sean, so your the DT in the Carolina Garrison. I'm transferring in from the Pacific Outpost. I saw a DT in the CG's gallery and was like "YES" another DT! We just bought a house in Wake County and I'm overseas. Hopefully within the next 6 months or so I can finally get back to trooping. How many DTs are there in the CG? 

• Like 1

How could I have forgotten about Denis?! Geez it must have been a long day at work. Yes The Armory Shop is another great source for your kit. He has some new filament designed for his 3D prints which looks to be just as durable as resins.

I'm getting my Sith Trooper from him once he finally gets his "Sith" together! :laugh1:

Thank you all for your responses,they've really helped me more than you could imagine.As of right now,ArmoryShop is my favorite choice for this,money is the problem,but I'll have a few years to save some money for it.Thanks for the link to the Etsy page,that would save me like 50 dollars compared to buying from the official page.My second option will be fiberglass and the last will be ABS.Do you know of any particular times or seasons when AP has sales or how to get promo codes?

On 9/12/2019 at 10:32 AM, Arminius said:

Thank you all for your responses,they've really helped me more than you could imagine.As of right now,ArmoryShop is my favorite choice for this,money is the problem,but I'll have a few years to save some money for it.Thanks for the link to the Etsy page,that would save me like 50 dollars compared to buying from the official page.My second option will be fiberglass and the last will be ABS.Do you know of any particular times or seasons when AP has sales or how to get promo codes?

@Spiel will be able to help you out with your DT armour

• Like 2