Imperial Heavy Rotary Blaster

Hello guys,

I see there is life for Korso so, as I am currently working of perfecting the IHRB, I decided to share the info/mods on this weapon.

I think it would be great for our Detachment to have the weapon cleared, and hopefully added as an option for regular Mudtroopers.

First of all some reference pictures:

Promotional picture of Korso holding it (and still the best source of information):

RRvqkHC.jpg

Korso weilding it in the final cut of the movie:

tKfr3OB.jpg

1hevilR.jpg

Korso POV in the Deleted Scene:

I2CqGWT.jpg

IHRB concept in Art of Solo book:

jHxFblo.jpg

I only found one guy making this beast (although sold out at the moment), the awesome Sergey Kolesnik that goes under the name of 3dPicasso.

Here's his rendering:

QRbus44.jpg

As you can see it combines beautifully the front we see in Korso pictures with the back (that we never see) of the concept art, although with some poetic licenses (the DLT-like "wievfinder" and the inverted ammo cartridge in particular. Also the kit was not designed for a sling but we always see Korso with it (and so this must be, as the thing is damn heavy).

Here's the original kit that was on sale:

ihIk9JW.jpg

It only came with two small rings (as it was designed with two) so I had to ask for one more separately.

Now to the build:

First mod was inverting the ammo pack:

AU8c5c4.jpg

Then I added real screws to replace some sculpted one, a small thing I learned building my original E-11:

erCfa4C.jpg JwKgSkx.jpg

To add solidity, the central barrell was directly screwed to the action, and all different strategic part were mounted with sunken screws covered with green stuff:

qhKF5qv.jpg

HfPc4WQ.jpg

ITtUOdA.jpg

f0x6BjG.jpg

The sling attachment shapes and sized were deducted from the POV shots:

erCfa4C.jpg

gQNEFGC.jpg

Sling itself has correct oval hooks, 5cm size and correct black buckle.

kMQt7JB.jpg

Faq8yra.jpg

And that's the look of it at the moment:

dShRBRY.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great info!  Yes Korso (CRL would be named some generic type of trooper) is a viable option.  It looks like the switch from a regular muddie to this heavy version would be new helmet, chest, and coat...lose the shins and respirator.  Belt(s) are the big question.

As far as adding it to the standard CRL...based on references I dont think that would be a possibilty   This would have to be something specific to this trooper variant (much like the scout pistol is an option for only the Val style).

1 hour ago, Raider said:

Great info!  Yes Korso (CRL would be named some generic type of trooper) is a viable option.  It looks like the switch from a regular muddie to this heavy version would be new helmet, chest, and coat...lose the shins and respirator.  Belt(s) are the big question.

As far as adding it to the standard CRL...based on references I dont think that would be a possibilty   This would have to be something specific to this trooper variant (much like the scout pistol is an option for only the Val style).

I understand the point and it makes perfect sense, although I wish there was the possibility to add it (I know I'm comparing apple to oranges but recently Blizzard Force added DLT-19 and DLT-20a as optional Snowtrooper weapons, despite the fact that you never see thoese weapons on Snowies nor on the whole Hoth planet).

Anyway, I'll keep on building...this may be helpful for future Korsos or Mudtrooper Heavy Gunner ?

2 hours ago, SithThundercracker said:

I understand the point and it makes perfect sense, although I wish there was the possibility to add it (I know I'm comparing apple to oranges but recently Blizzard Force added DLT-19 and DLT-20a as optional Snowtrooper weapons, despite the fact that you never see thoese weapons on Snowies nor on the whole Hoth planet).

Anyway, I'll keep on building...this may be helpful for future Korsos or Mudtrooper Heavy Gunner ?

Yea Im aware of the Blizzard adds.  Theres a bit more to why they were added (which I can discuss with you via pm) and, unless the Battlefront video game is stretched as the reference, knowing what I know, Id say they should not have been added.

More pics of current progress...

Excavated the cartridges to host a 9v battery pack, and prepared the ammo block for wiring.

nbnhMuA.jpg

Sanded the now virtually invisible holes were I dug the screws:

JeWspHv.jpg

0ol1nkS.jpg

Wired up the 3 leds (very simple circuit, the same that goes with Darth Vader belt boxes).

I28cN8R.jpg

Mounted the ammo block to the rifle. I decided to have a solid block, with battery pack sliding up from the bottom, where I put two cover strips:

O0ZmdSE.jpg

wZ5gGzw.jpg

Started priming the whole stuff (pic before adding the ammo pack):

H31K2Z9.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Update time. 

Silver layer:

brrIYhz.jpg

Black coat:

M7EEZb4.jpg

I wasn't satisfied of the first look o f the thing:

2TQKW6G.jpg

So I went with Citatel Leadbelcher and put some masking paper to rip off the balck coat:

RifK4TQ.jpg

And here's the first look before weathering it with paint:

XB8OfMy.jpg

Some rusty effect:

Pdl2mpi.jpg

And here's the look today with glossy handle and buttstock, with burnt metal effect for the tip and flashlights:

fcNJmSU.jpg

Next steps: led lights

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the time, if I had the money....

This looks great overall.  Funny that its a -60D with the handle rotated and what amounts to the thrower end of a M61 tacked on. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

I have the time, if I had the money....

This looks great overall.  Funny that its a -60D with the handle rotated and what amounts to the thrower end of a M61 tacked on. 

Supercool! It's 100% m60....I just thought it was a pumped mg34/dlt19 because of the similarities on the ammo port. Interestingly original concept artist Matt Savage just posted this on IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/BppRUUNFLtR/?igshid=1luviezhg7fwu so I wandered why they had m60 parts laying around for kitbash and there it is, Roba M45 Repeating Ion blaster from R1's U-Wing! https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/M-45_repeating_ion_blaster