BLACKFOX's CRLUpdate Proposal

Back at it again, after a busy month with work, becoming sick and my wife getting injured.  I guess when it rain it pours. LOL.  I was playing BF2 and took some photos with my cell phone. Sorry that they are not as good as how they looked  like on  my TV.  Another thing that  I noticed  is that with the last update the Rocket Trooper is now called "Legacy Appearance."

Here's the list of things that I noticed and would love to propose for  a CRL update.

1. The abdo plate has 4 blue and 4 black buttons, not 8 black buttons.

2. Add E-11 Blaster to the list of optional weapons.

2PVHddZ.jpg

3GWXtc5.jpg

3.  Change the "Black square" on the bottom portion of the main/center pack to: metallic in color.  It's all in the lighting and will show up  as dark gray-black in low light or the angle of the light hitting the rocket pack.

4. The  "black lines" are shadows. I'm not sure if they should be included or not. While I was playing the line color would change from off white to almost black depending on the light source and angle of the light.

5. The left rocket nozzle has a raised rectangle "black" change to metallic in color. It has the same issue as the black square.

c29lisH.jpg

Ul8i1Ro.jpg

cOG4mc1.jpg

875eEvE.jpg

6Q8jOZo.png

6.  The bottom of the exhaust ports during the game changes as well and also  appears to be metallic in nature. Suggest change it to dark metallic gray or  metallic black  color.

PQTKD9q.jpg

c29lisH.jpg

7. (The outermost part of the caps are painted the same gray as the helmet stripes to match references.) Change to metallic and maybe add weathered with black. Again, it's all in the lighting and here's a few reference photos.

1vuXtqc.jpg

IewW9r6.png

cOG4mc1.jpg

8. Add SE-44C Pistol

amsYorU.jpg

qwZJmDI.jpg

I included some game file images that another member was able to get. This is from the FISD thread that was created before it moved over to Spec Ops.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44353-rocket-trooper-crl-discussion/?tab=comments#comment-602210

YnyVKCH.jpg

RD89mUj.png

Cv6U8PB.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the proposals!

When I'm done with work today or during a break I can take the text from the CRL and paste it here with the proposed changes for each section.

I looked at all of the proposed changes and they are good points. The only one I'm a little hesitant on is the SE-44C because in the game it is listed as a standard issued First Order officer pistol, which would be a different era. That is interesting that it is available on the trooper screen that you have, is that from an instant action or what?

11 hours ago, BLACKFOX said:

Back at it again, after a busy month with work, becoming sick and my wife getting injured.  I guess when it rain it pours. LOL.  I was playing BF2 and took some photos with my cell phone. Sorry that they are not as good as how they looked  like on  my TV.  Another thing that  I noticed  is that with the last update the Rocket Trooper is now called "Legacy Appearance."

Here's the list of things that I noticed and would love to propose for  a CRL update.

1. The abdo plate has 4 blue and 4 black buttons, not 8 black buttons.

2. Add E-11 Blaster to the list of optional weapons.

2PVHddZ.jpg

3GWXtc5.jpg

3.  Change the "Black square" on the bottom portion of the main/center pack to: metallic in color.  It's all in the lighting and will show up  as dark gray-black in low light or the angle of the light hitting the rocket pack.

4. The  "black lines" are shadows. I'm not sure if they should be included or not. While I was playing the line color would change from off white to almost black depending on the light source and angle of the light.

5. The left rocket nozzle has a raised rectangle "black" change to metallic in color. It has the same issue as the black square.

c29lisH.jpg

Ul8i1Ro.jpg

cOG4mc1.jpg

875eEvE.jpg

6Q8jOZo.png

6.  The bottom of the exhaust ports during the game changes as well and also  appears to be metallic in nature. Suggest change it to dark metallic gray or  metallic black  color.

PQTKD9q.jpg

c29lisH.jpg

7. (The outermost part of the caps are painted the same gray as the helmet stripes to match references.) Change to metallic and maybe add weathered with black. Again, it's all in the lighting and here's a few reference photos.

1vuXtqc.jpg

IewW9r6.png

cOG4mc1.jpg

8. Add SE-44C Pistol

amsYorU.jpg

qwZJmDI.jpg

I included some game file images that another member was able to get. This is from the FISD thread that was created before it moved over to Spec Ops.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44353-rocket-trooper-crl-discussion/?tab=comments#comment-602210

YnyVKCH.jpg

RD89mUj.png

Cv6U8PB.png

Excellent!  I will respond to each point here.  Regarding the naming...if anyone ever built the new skin, then we would need to explore either adding "Legacy" to this variant OR adding a tab to the current CRL as a "Version 2" so the name is shared.  The other option is to use "Jumptrooper" as that is what the new skin was named in Rebels (no hose version).  Either way, we don't need to address that until the other version is built.

1) Ab buttons...will need to add these to references.  The primary up close shot we had of the ab did indeed appear to be all black.  This will need to be a Level 1 adjustment.

2) I don't remember the E-11 in gameplay.  Likewise the SE-44C.  Interesting.  Correct me if I'm wrong...the weapon options for this class are static right?  Unlike the standard classes where you can cross-use weapons from different eras.  The SE in particular is a FO weapon...that's where I hesitate a bit and ask about the weapon options for the class.

3) We would need to define "metallic" more.  You can have black mettalic...dark gray...silver...chrome.  That has to be nailed down more.  Lighting is a two-edged sword...the gloss of black can give a white "bright" reflection...so while it might not appear black in some screens, it does in others.  I have a feeling we may be stuck with no fully correct answer on this and come to an consensus on interpretation. 

4) See point 3 on lighting.

5) See point 3 on lighting.

6) Connected to point 3 on lighting...but the weathering is definitive.  For this, I think we can safely leave black as an option.  Whether some version of metallic is added is a separate discussion.

7)  See point 6.

You didn't mention the mohawk here...but I think that's worth noting so I will add a numero 8:

8.  Mohawk.  Would need to figure out wording, but the question is would we make that a Level 1 or Level 2 adjustment (continuous slope from forehead to mohawk)?

If you notice anything else, please drop  em in here.

when we wrote it, it all appeared black. I saw nowthing that looked metallic.  

I think it would be easy enough to add "black or dark, weathered metallic grey. Weathering and appearance must be consistent". 

1 hour ago, IcyTrooper said:

Thanks for the proposals!

When I'm done with work today or during a break I can take the text from the CRL and paste it here with the proposed changes for each section.

I looked at all of the proposed changes and they are good points. The only one I'm a little hesitant on is the SE-44C because in the game it is listed as a standard issued First Order officer pistol, which would be a different era. That is interesting that it is available on the trooper screen that you have, is that from an instant action or what?

When  the  character was released it was one  of the options that I remember playing with. I think it might have been the default option. I totally get  how  it's the  wrong era. I'm more partial with the E-11.

1 hour ago, Raider said:

Excellent!  I will respond to each point here.  Regarding the naming...if anyone ever built the new skin, then we would need to explore either adding "Legacy" to this variant OR adding a tab to the current CRL as a "Version 2" so the name is shared.  The other option is to use "Jumptrooper" as that is what the new skin was named in Rebels (no hose version).  Either way, we don't need to address that until the other version is built.

1) Ab buttons...will need to add these to references.  The primary up close shot we had of the ab did indeed appear to be all black.  This will need to be a Level 1 adjustment.

2) I don't remember the E-11 in gameplay.  Likewise the SE-44C.  Interesting.  Correct me if I'm wrong...the weapon options for this class are static right?  Unlike the standard classes where you can cross-use weapons from different eras.  The SE in particular is a FO weapon...that's where I hesitate a bit and ask about the weapon options for the class.

3) We would need to define "metallic" more.  You can have black mettalic...dark gray...silver...chrome.  That has to be nailed down more.  Lighting is a two-edged sword...the gloss of black can give a white "bright" reflection...so while it might not appear black in some screens, it does in others.  I have a feeling we may be stuck with no fully correct answer on this and come to an consensus on interpretation. 

4) See point 3 on lighting.

5) See point 3 on lighting.

6) Connected to point 3 on lighting...but the weathering is definitive.  For this, I think we can safely leave black as an option.  Whether some version of metallic is added is a separate discussion.

7)  See point 6.

You didn't mention the mohawk here...but I think that's worth noting so I will add a numero 8:

8.  Mohawk.  Would need to figure out wording, but the question is would we make that a Level 1 or Level 2 adjustment (continuous slope from forehead to mohawk)?

If you notice anything else, please drop  em in here.

The wording on Metallic would have  to be defined, but I'm unsure of the correct word. There's a few images where it appears to be the same color as the sliver on the chest box gear greeblies, but weathered a little.

As for the #8, I totally forgot about that as I'm  currently  finishing the jet pack. Since the new update the default Rocket Trooper (and Commander) has changed and has a different Mohawk when compared to the Legacy appearance. I'm not sure how that would change the wording.

The three different variations on the BF2 Rocket Trooper.

A. Default appearance:

y4EdwNF.png

B. Commander:

bAQ0vlB.png

C. Legacy  Appearance:

Ug6nt30.png

Would this require a different CRL or just as variant tab within the same  CRL? The helmet has some noticeable differences as well as the lack of chest box.

z9NcZBm.png

Regarding different CRLs...we can approach it as either or.  I think if the helmets have enough difference, we could lobby for a new CRL.

Edit:  Clarifying...between Commander and default prob tabs.  Between Legacy and the updates...probably new CRL.

• Like 2

I went in game...for Supremacy (which doesnt allow cross-era character play)...only the E-11 is an option now...along with the rocket launcher

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Raider said:

Regarding different CRLs...we can approach it as either or.  I think if the helmets have enough difference, we could lobby for a new CRL.

Edit:  Clarifying...between Commander and default prob tabs.  Between Legacy and the updates...probably new CRL.

I'd say for the Commander and Default they would be a new CRL as from the looks of it with the helmet and shoulder bells they are beginning to cross into the FO era. That may be the reason the SE-44C was an option at first. The shoulder bells are reminiscent of the FO TKs. There are enough changes with the Default/Commander with that between the lack of chest box, hose changes, helmet changes and shoulder bell changes to warrant a new one.

The legacy one I'd say should stay its own.

• Like 1

9. There is a raised weld seam that runs vertically across the fuel tank which intersects in the middle of the orange/amber oblong depression. It looks like it's at the right angle of the pack.

I would also suggest that the oblong depression be at the right angle as well.

ZVTMA9w.png

1iiNyst.png

10. When you look at the rockets mounted they have a rectangle shaped spacer between them and the main pack box:

Suggested wording: The rockets are mounted to either side of the pack center box, by a rectangle approximately 5 1/2 by 2 7/8 by 9/16 (140mm by 73mm  by 14mm). They are mounted ½" (12mm) below the surface of the pack center box.

ZVTMA9w.png

PQTKD9q.jpg

vVJv2D6.jpg

Alright so I'm going to address each of the points you have above for edits (orange for changes) and then we can move to an official CRL adjustment thread if needed:

1. AB Buttons - Change

Abdomen Armor

• The abdomen armor has a button area with 4 glossy blue buttons and 4 glossy black buttons. Correct sized buttons are approximately 7/16" (11mm) in diameter.
  • Abdomen armor button area detail matches reference photos.
  • A white flexible U-shaped gasket or molded lip is present around all edges.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• There should be no gap between the ab and kidney plate, a single visible seam line is ideal. Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor shall be no more than ½" (12.5mm). Any shims used to achieve this effect shall have a similar material and color as with the abdomen and kidney armor. Shims should be flush and seams are allowed.
  • Abdomen armor buttons are integrated directly on the armor. No separate buttons are allowed.

2. E-11 - Addition

E-11 Blaster

Manufactured by BlasTech Industries, the E-11 is standard-issue for many Imperial troops. Light, compact yet powerful, the E-11 blaster is always in high demand throughout the galaxy.

• Based on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster.

• Folding stock.
    • Stock does not need to function.
  • A real or replica ammo counter - based off of a Hengstler counter - should be present.
  • D-ring mounted on the rear.
  • Correct style scope.
  • Two power cylinders on the magazine.
  • Scratch-built, resin cast, Hyperfirm rubber cast blasters should have a total of 6 t-racks on blaster (leaving the lowest row on the Hengstler side un-covered).
  • If using the Hasbro E11 toy blaster, it is modified to have the correct number of T-tracks (6 total), with a lower row of open vent holes on the magazine housing side.
    • This is accomplished by covering the pre-existing rows of holes with T-tracks, then grinding off the lower integrated T-track on the magazine housing side, and drilling a new row of holes in its place.

3 - 7. Rocket Pack - Change (Black square, black lines, left rocket nozzle, exhaust ports, caps)

Rocket Pack

• Styled after the pack as seen in the Battlefront II video game. An interpretation of the pack is allowed, but screen accuracy is encouraged.
  • It is mounted to the armor back-plate “0 II”.
  • Comprised of the main pack box, fuel tank at the top of the pack and exhaust ports at the left and right bottom of the pack.
  • The backpack fuel tank shall not rise above the bottom of the helmet lower edge.
  • The fuel tank is barrel shaped and no wider than the backpack. The center barrel section is as wide as the center section of the main backpack box, and is mounted directly on top of it.
  • The ends of the barrel feature flat depressed caps with raised rings inside the flattened ends. 24 to 40 total rectangular grooved depressions are seen near the ends of the tank, 12 to 20 on each side.
  • The back side of the tank features two vertical oblong depressions ⅜" by 1.5" (10mm by 32mm) long,  light orange/amber in color. This is not the same color used on the helmet and shoulder bell.
  • The outermost part of the caps are painted the same gray as the helmet stripes to match references.
  • The fuel tank may be supported by plastic structure as seen in reference material to help hold it stable.
  • Main pack box is rectangular in shape, flat at the top and beveled at the bottom, stopping above the thermal detonator.
  • The main box features a depressed center area inset approximately ½" by 7/16" (12mm by 19mm) deep divided into five segments.
  • The upper half of the depression features three horizontal lines approximately ½" (12mm) thick, and are dirty white or light weathered gray. 
  • Three black buttons are located below the horizontal lines, to the right of the depression. Buttons are ¼" to 5/16" (8mm to 9mm) in diameter. 
  • The bottom right side of the center of the pack features a 2" by 2.5" (50mm by 62mm) silver rectangle, which has recessed lines extending horizontally to the left. 
  • The rockets are mounted to either side of the pack center box, curved at the top and are beveled at the bottom. They are mounted ½" (12mm) below the surface of the pack center box.
  • The bottom of the exhaust ports feature black rectangular nozzles, and may extend ½" (12mm) beyond the housings. 
  • There are two black or silver rectangles ¾" by 2" (19mm by 50mm) just above the exhaust nozzles.
  • The left rocket nozzle has a raised silver rectangle approximately 2.5" (62mm) wide by 4" (100mm) long.

• The backpack is as close to screen accurate as possible.
  • A total of 40 thin rectangular indentations are seen near the ends of the tank, 20 on each side and must be equally spaced.
  • Fuel tank cylinder end cap layout should match reference photos as closely as possible.
  • The orange/amber segments on the barrel shaped fuel tank shall be illuminated to match reference images, not painted or decals.
  • There is a raised weld seam that runs vertically across the fuel tank which intersects in the middle of the orange/amber segments.

8. Helmet - Change (Mohawk)

Helmet

• Lenses must be sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer’s eyes. They are either flat or bubbled. Acceptable colors are black, smoke, or dark green.
  • Rubber black trim runs the length of the brow from the left to right front helmet traps. The brow shall go under the widows peak of mohawk.
  • The “ear” bars have three or four bumps, and are gray or painted gray, with a black outline. 
    • Painting the bumps with rank stripes (Highlighted) in black is optional.
  • The frown must have 8 teeth cut out and the coloring must not leave the indented area.
    • The frown must be black.
    • Black mesh must be used to obscure the face of the wearer.
  • Tube stripes are medium blue and can be between 9 and 16 per side with the curve bends extending backwards.  These can be either hand painted or decals.
  • Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is painted black or gray.
  • Two hoses are attached to the helmet, one on each side of the vocoder in the indentation where the aerators would be.
  • Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) can be hand painted or decals.
    • The tears must be gray with black outlines and have 5 vertical black lines.
    • Note: The helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official references. 
  • A mohawk runs across the top of the helmet from the brow to just before the curve at the rear bottom of the helmet. 
    • Width of the mohawk is approximately 1.5" (38mm) and tapers slightly towards the base.
    • At the front of the mohawk is a widows peak approximately ½" (12mm) and matches reference photos. 
    • The bottom of the widows peak overlaps a portion of the brow trim. 
    • A solid orange line approximately ⅜" (10mm) in width runs the length of the mohawk matching the reference photo. 
    • The line terminates near the rear of the mohawk and is followed by two squares of the same width and color. 
    • The color of the line matches or is similar to the orange used on the left shoulder bell. 
  • Gray stripes run parallel to the mohawk and end at the base of the rear traps and are approximately 1" (25mm). 
    • Two long triangles protrude from each stripe matching reference photos and are approximately 2" (50mm) in length.
  • A gray rectangle is painted on the rear of the helmet below the mohawk and is approximately 1.5" (38mm) by ½" (12mm).

• Eye lenses are bubble style and tinted green.
  • Ears have no visible screws.
  • Ear bars have four bumps only, not three. 
  • Ear bars have only two bumps painted in black (rank stripes), they shall be the first and third bumps (from front to back of helmet). 
  • The ends of the frown are rounded, not tapered to points (not like ANH/ESB) and not square ended like the ESB MKII.
  • Mesh must be used behind the frown to obscure the face of the wearer. 
  • Tube stripes must have 13 per side.
  • The vocoder base is black and the tubes the same color as the hoses. 
  • Traps/tears and tube stripes are decals (with the correct ROTJ details), not hand-painted.
  • Traps/tears are a slightly bluer shade of ANH gray. 
  • The mohawk runs across the top of the helmet to the brow and slopes down into the brow. There is no overhang of the mohawk over the brow.

9. Shoulder Straps - L2 change

Shoulder Straps

• No visible rivets are allowed to secure the straps in the front.
  • These shall be glued in front.
  • Rear of shoulder straps are secured at the back using Velcro or magnets and do not free float.
  • Shoulder straps shall not have a flat end at the ends of them. They shall be ribbed 100%. 

10. Thermal detonator - L2 change

Thermal Detonator

• Thermal detonator belt clips are positioned half way between center of detonator and the end cap. 
  • The thermal detonator control panel is centered and has correct SWBF2 details with 8 raised sections on the panel.
  • The detonator is attached to the canvas belt with 1" (25mm) white metal or metallic-appearing clips.
    • The clips are seen at the bottom of the thermal detonator when viewing from behind.

Looks great. I noticed in the reference photos that these two rectangles appear to be the same color gray as the one on the top of the helmet, beside the mohawk. They both seem to get darker and lighter depending on the lighting.

• There are two black or silver rectangles ¾" by 2" (19mm by 50mm) just above the exhaust nozzles.

The exhaust ports appear to be silver weathered black or vice versa.  Like a it has been burned, charred. [Oh another note... how would you create a charred look?]  (They have the  same coloring/glare as the fuel tank outer caps)

• The bottom of the exhaust ports feature black rectangular nozzles, and may extend ½" (12mm) beyond the housings. 

These caps appear metallic/silver with weathering and similar coloring to the exhaust ports.

• The outermost part of the caps are painted the same gray as the helmet stripes to match references.

I just looked over the proposal, this looks very reasonable. For the charred look, I do a lot of burnt metal on models.  You can paint silver,  but for scorching use dark blue, as either a stain or wash over the part.  Let that dry the apply less wash/stain of dark brown. Let silver show through.   With practice you get a great effect.  On motorcycle pipes I sprayed clear bue Tamiya paint followed by Clear Smoke through my airbrush, but I dot see the blue look here. 

I noticed something else. The shoulder strap is  different then the one used in the TK armour. It doesn't have the wide segment on the ends like the TK's do.  Would that need to be mentioned on the CRL?

crfOKGb.png

lJJK58G.png

9dHqhUN.png

• Thanks 1

For L2 we could add "Shoulder straps shall not have a flat end at the ends of them. They shall be ribbed 100%."

That is how it is for L2 for video game TK commander in FISD.

• Like 1

I'm wondering  about the Thermal Detonator. When I look at it closely it doesn't appear to be the same as ROTJ. The ring in ROTJ has a raised center and it appears to have 6 raised teeth (for lack of a better  word). It Rocket Trooper has an indented ring center like ANH. The only thing is that I think the ANH TD has 7 raised teeth. When you look at the Rocket Trooper TD it shows 8 raised teeth.

The similarity between ROTJ and Rocket  Trooper  TD is that they are centered, when compared to the ANH which is off set to some side.

ROTJ TD:

BBTTyWr.jpg

fu385uQ.jpg

CFO's: F207mTp.png

Rocket Trooper TD:

149fcu5.png

wZuEktB.jpg

1OsD64v.jpg

ANH TD:

FdHY7Uu.jpg

• Thanks 1

That is an interesting find. We could definitely take a look at correcting the L2 details for it! I'll edit my post above to include that as item #10.

Here's the finished armour.  A few things popped (good old trim)  that I  will have to fix as well as play around with my harness system. I'm planing on making an new thermal detonator to match  the reference photos. I just need sometime  to 3D render and print  it.

skAxhX0.jpg

JH1fAMh.jpg

• Like 1