Mandalorian DarkTrooper Gen 3

kishdr

"The dead speak!"

Hello all, its been a while in a half. 

Since I've last visited, I have created a completed model of the Darktrooper Droid that shows up in StarWars Rebels:

unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

As well as a few other things, but that's not what I'm here to show. After all, you cant costume as this thing!

Behold!

unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

Originally my plans was to wait until the HotToy's replica figure came out, but that doesn't come for another year! 
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/star-wars-dark-trooper-hot-toys-907625

I don't want to wait that long, so I decided to tackle the project myself. As well, I maaaaybe got some possible behind the scene model stuff that I'll be using to help with the references. 

Yesterday, I spent all day compiling almost every picture and frame I could find of them. Concept art, screenshots from Mando, HotToys promo pics, etc.

Hope you enjoy! Feel free to voice your opinion is something looks off, and I'll be down to see if I can fix it.

Previous Darktrooper thread: 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, RAIDER said:

Very cool!  Ill have to take a compare these references when I have some time, but initial reaction..WELL DONE!!!

I compiled dozens and dozens of reference images if you wanted to take a look at the gallary for comparison. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IcyTrooper said:

So cool to also see that Sideshows is doing that 6th scale one!

I threw my wallet at the screen...

...then I picked it back up, defeated, knowing that its not coming for another year

• Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@kishdr Brother if you were able to get those "behind the scenes model stuff" I'd be interested in seeing anything you might like to share. Going to need all that is out there to start the possible CRL process. And figure out a way to add in wearable items to account for the CGI effects they used on the actors.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi!  I'm also thinking of building a Dark Trooper from the Mandalorian.  I'm sort of tempted to 3d print the armor and then make polyurethane castings.  So it will be super flexible. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Trachta said:

Hi!  I'm also thinking of building a Dark Trooper from the Mandalorian.  I'm sort of tempted to 3d print the armor and then make polyurethane castings.  So it will be super flexible. 

Very cool! We'd have to check to see if that would be able to be approved by the LMOs since joints were CGI. @nanotek @RAIDER I can't remember if we already had that discussion with them or not.

Just now, IcyTrooper said:

Very cool! We'd have to check to see if that would be able to be approved by the LMOs since joints were CGI. @nanotek @RAIDER I can't remember if we already had that discussion with them or not.

oh, let me know what they say!  I noticed there were rubber joint sleeves on the mannequin at Celebration. 

• Like 1
Just now, Trachta said:

oh, let me know what they say!  I noticed there were rubber joint sleeves on the mannequin at Celebration. 

Will do! I meant to clarify in my post that scenes in the movie were CGI but that I was aware that at one point they had a costumed up Dark Trooper for one of the scenes. Sorry!

As far as I know there was discussion about it and an informal decision made that it was not a costume as some parts were CGI. I'm more than happy to raise it through the new process, however we would need evidence to support the application. I remembered a lot of people posting pics of the display at Celebration this year, if we can get as many high quality pics from different angles we might be able to make a better case.

@IcyTrooper @nanotek I also have screenshots of where the grey suits are still in the actual episode and used.

fthK2We.jpg

ZL8ujkE.jpg

DK8SMkI.jpg

The Hangar Droid you clearly see the actor's suit showing, namely at the elbow, hip, and back.

MEHaj1h.jpg

The camera droid you can see a the hip clearly.

lYqiqfd.jpg

RP6eyEb.jpg

S8lpVmL.jpg

Then in the Hallway seen on a close-up, you can see the droid in front of the camera, their grey suit is showing at the hip (an absence of CGI pistons), the back of the right elbow, and the armpit of their left arm. 

• Like 1