Visor crack repair, going flat black?

Hi everyone,

I tried digging around for some tips and didn't see much (maybe I overlooked it?).

1. Can anyone tell me how to repair a visor crack? I can get pics later (I'm about to leave for work). The cracks are small.

2. I'd like to go about taking my kit and repainting it flat black. Its black at the moment, but I love the look of the flat black. Any tips and suggestions for doing this would be greatly appreciated. I don't feel spraypaint would be the way to go, as I want something that would last for awhile...maybe I'm off on this sort of thinking? Thanks in advance.

58 minutes ago, Red43j said:

Hi everyone,

I tried digging around for some tips and didn't see much (maybe I overlooked it?).

1. Can anyone tell me how to repair a visor crack? I can get pics later (I'm about to leave for work). The cracks are small.

2. I'd like to go about taking my kit and repainting it flat black. Its black at the moment, but I love the look of the flat black. Any tips and suggestions for doing this would be greatly appreciated. I don't feel spraypaint would be the way to go, as I want something that would last for awhile...maybe I'm off on this sort of thinking? Thanks in advance.

Hey Red!  First up…what type of kit are we talking about?

Spray paint can work just fine. Can also out a clear coat on it to seal it a but more.  Thatll be your cheapest approach unless you can find someone who will do a pro paint job kn the cheap

• Thanks 1
On 1/28/2022 at 1:35 PM, RAIDER said:

Hey Red!  First up…what type of kit are we talking about?

Spray paint can work just fine. Can also out a clear coat on it to seal it a but more.  Thatll be your cheapest approach unless you can find someone who will do a pro paint job kn the cheap

Hey there Raider!

Dunno if it would help, but the kit is a Studio Creations kit. Its been a pretty good kit, as I've been using it since 2017, if memory serves me right?

So a Shadow Scout then…sorry thats what I meant lol.

Yea mine is spray painted.  It’s def do-able and much cheaper than finding someone to pro spray (which Ive done as well).

• Thanks 1
On 1/29/2022 at 5:34 AM, Red43j said:

Hi everyone,

Please post a pic of the cracks if you can. It's really hard to provide advice about something when we cannot see the extent of the damage. In most cases it is pretty easy to repair, can be as simple as sanding back and painting, sanding and using primer-filler and painting or may need more intensive repair if the cracks are larger.

I painted my whole kit Satin Black using the Rustoleum2X Satin Black. It was a really simple job, just used some 1200 grit wet sanding to prepare the surface for paint. Just make sure to clean the surfaces correctly before applying the paint.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

i hae EXTENSIVE use of spraypaint and always use Rutoleum2x. Clear coats can be really touchy and may frost on you dependng on how cold the can is, how warm the plastic is, whether today is green or purple and what flavor car tires are today.  I haven't had a lot of luck with them over the years.  That said just regular spray paint when applied warm has served me well. yes, it will eventually scuff, but thats normal and expected. 

• Like 2