Question regarding painting of highlighted sections on chest and abdomen

For those of you that ordered a kit and painted it by hand, I have a question about order of operations with regards to the chest and abdomen painting:

Did you paint the highlighted (Metallic black/silver) areas, then hit it with coats of clear gloss, or did you tape off these areas so they were not exposed to the clear coat?

I personally painted these areas on top of my already finished gloss.  They definitely shouldn’t be receiving a gloss coat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, lancer said:

I personally painted these areas on top of my already finished gloss.  They definitely shouldn’t be receiving a gloss coat.

Ok, that had been my original thought and plan, but I was worried that the gloss coat might prevent the paint from properly adhering, and for the more fine areas like the small recesses I had no idea how taping that or even sanding it was plausible.

22 hours ago, Tiderion said:

Ok, that had been my original thought and plan, but I was worried that the gloss coat might prevent the paint from properly adhering, and for the more fine areas like the small recesses I had no idea how taping that or even sanding it was plausible.

If you are using the Tamiya paints, they will adhere beautifully.

I used a ridiculous amount of tape to get the recesses right haha Just take your time. I did one section at a time so that I did have to worry about bleeding or tap covering spots I wanted painted. https://www.instagram.com/p/CVRHCr4sezY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

-Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/3/2022 at 2:39 AM, Tiderion said:

For those of you that ordered a kit and painted it by hand, I have a question about order of operations with regards to the chest and abdomen painting:

Did you paint the highlighted (Metallic black/silver) areas, then hit it with coats of clear gloss, or did you tape off these areas so they were not exposed to the clear coat?

• Get some painters plastic or rubbish/trash bags and some masking tape.
  • Make sure that your base gloss black is fully cured!  Otherwise nightmares
  • First run of masking just use tape
  • 2nd run you tape the plastic to the 1st masking tape to ensure you have protected the rest of the armor
  • Spray metallic black 
  • Maybe do a second coat
  • Done

There's no need to gloss over the top

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This may be tabu, but I used automotive vinyl wrap material for my highlighted areas. I figured I'd give it a try and if it didn't look good I could simply peal it off. It did turn out really well. I used 3M gun metal wrap. I made a template for the shapes and when I applied it, I gently hit it with a heat gun and it conformed perfectly. It has a sort of semi-gloss appearance. I even used it for the striping on the biceps and other areas. Those I did seal down with clear lacquer. Here is a quick photo of it, pay no attention to the shoulder bells, I put them on backwards...IMG_1237.thumb.jpg.4221be1ab0e453a6ea33e4502bdef6af.jpg