Dye Testing - Rit Brand - Aldhani Soft goods

Then again, it depends what the BTS shots were taken with, right? I've only had one phone that seems to accurately represent the colours on the screen as I see them in real life.
If that's not bad enough, the greens look different on my phones compared to my laptop.

I mean....  you've seen the last pics I posted, right? Will you take a look at this poop  ;)
(edit - apparently, the censor bot on the forum is a little on the puritanical side! :D )

KwmPpyF.jpg  

Taken on a bus with the same phone. If you didn't know better, you'd say these were legs from different people / dye batches.
I know this is the opposite of super-helpful.  :)

But... it does demonstrate that given the difficulty of getting things to match accurately on screen, maybe the definition of the colour range should remain.. not vague, per se, but not especially specific.

"Olive green... blah blah... screen references... blah.. aim for this range.. blah.." 

Edited by stormachtig
naughty words
21 hours ago, Vanedor said:

Here's my result so far. The green is certainly too vibrant. What do you think, @TeaJay?

One pic is outside, the other is under neon lignt in my basement.

vert1.jpg

vert2.jpg

Agreed with you that this is too bright. The formula for RIT's Olive Green is made up of three colors. It looks you may have had a little too much "Apple Green" in the mix. If you're okay with some shrinkage on the uniform, I'd recommend washing it in hot water and detergent once, let it dry, try it on to see if it's getting too small, if not wash it one more time in hot water and detergent again. This will help pull any excess dye in it out.... Once you've pulled out as much excess as you can, prep a new dye batch making sure your water is at least at 60C/140F, add in the same amount of salt as you did in your original batch, 1 teaspoon of Dawn Dish liquid, and stir. Prep your dye into the hot water, but use less "Apple Green" and focus on the "Dark Green" and "Pearl Gray" colors. 

Repeat the same amount of water, use 1/4 less - up to 1/2 less of your original amount of Apple Green and use the same amount of Gray and Dark Green -- Stir thoroughly. You'll still want some Apple Green in the dye batch to prevent things from getting too dark. 

Take your time and make sure everything soaks for at least 30-40 minutes. Keep stirring every 10 minutes for at least a minute. 

20 hours ago, stormachtig said:

I know you're only asking for @TeaJay 's assessment @Vanedor , but that green looks way too vibrant/lime/neon. Then again, the camera can be tricksy. On the plus side, since you're on the light side, it's easier to dull/darken down with more dye.

I tested my stuff in trooping conditions today. Freakishly cold winds, but bright sunlight.
Before this, I was ok with the shade.. not 100% certain. Now I'm very happy with it. Again - 2 pods of Dylon Olive Green for hat, top, and bottoms, in one washing machine load.
K4WMOfe.jpg

This seems just a tad dark to me, but it could be the lighting angle. That's just my opinion though... I guarantee that if you wash it in warm to hot water with detergent or something like oxyclean (depending if you're okay with some shrinkage of the material), you'll get the color a small shade lighter. Ironing the costume on a high heat with moisture also helps fade specific high parts (like pocket flaps) and makes a subtle (and nice if you ask me) weathering effect... assuming you'd want that effect.

Overall, I feel what you have still fits the color range of what we're looking for. I feel like a wam/hot wash would work some magic if you're willing to give it a go.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, stormachtig said:

You're using Rit, right? I'm no expert in dyeing stuff (this is the first time the process hasn't ended in a semi-disaster for me), but I guess there's only two variables - amount and shade. 
TeaJay's swatches are all much deeper/darker greens, and assuming you're using Olive Green like he is, it should just be a case of doing the process again but with more dye? Plus maybe adding a little brown? 
If you have spare fabric, play with that. Always a risk doing everything at once. 

(I do that, but I'm stupidly impatient :D )

((also, thank you for the compliment on my green! :) ))

I would recommend holding off on using brown at the moment for @Vanedor's re-dye. He should be able to get the color he is looking for using less Apple Green. 

The bummer about his situation is even if he has extra undyed test fabric it will not fully mimic how the dye will take on his already dyed uniform that has the lighter green coloration. As you mention, he can test with any extra fabric he has... still might be worth testing hue of his latest dye batch color...

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Detaleader said:

spacer.png

y077u2zdi22a1.jpg?width=828&format=pjpg&

Honestly, looking at behind the scenes photos (gotta consider just how heavy the color grade on the show is!), I think that's a pretty good color .

This is my personal opinion, and you all do you... but I encourage folks to avoid Taramyn's color scheme as it appears to be drastically different from all other cast members. Unless folks are specifically trying to recreate his costume.

1 hour ago, TeaJay said:

This is my personal opinion, and you all do you... but I encourage folks to avoid Taramyn's color scheme as it appears to be drastically different from all other cast members. Unless folks are specifically trying to recreate his costume.

Considering how bashed together most of the costumes look on the show, I don't think it should matter too much at the end of the day. I personally prefer the somewhat browner uniforms. 

Hey everyone! I am happy to announce that I have successfully fixed my shade consistency issue with the uniform. It took one Dylon olive green pod for both the jacket and cap and it successfully meshed well with the pants. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Wasrovv Slociw said:

Hey everyone! I am happy to announce that I have successfully fixed my shade consistency issue with the uniform. It took one Dylon olive green pod for both the jacket and cap and it successfully meshed well with the pants. 

spacer.png

Excellent! That pod is magical!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Vanedor said:

Well, this week-end I finally had the time for take two.

At least, it's certainly darker.

PXL_20230328_001529800.jpg

Much better than the neon green you previous had!  ;) ;)
Definitely in the ballpark now. I think. I've been looking at so many shades of green over the past few weeks, I think I've gone green-blind.

• Like 2

Hey guys, question.

I procured some accidental dye stains on my jacket. I was able to get rid of it with alcohol/vinegar but it sort of left a dark spot where the stains at after drying.

I was thinking of redying the jacket specifically and see if it will even out the color. What do you guys think?

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

oh wow thats unforatunate, but tbh now that you have used vinegar on teh fabric I do not know that it would absorb the dye at the same rate. I tried that with a Jawa and it completely changed the shade.   This is one of the main reasons Ill be doing the black uniform.  

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

oh wow thats unforatunate, but tbh now that you have used vinegar on teh fabric I do not know that it would absorb the dye at the same rate. I tried that with a Jawa and it completely changed the shade.   This is one of the main reasons Ill be doing the black uniform.  

So I did a solution of dylon dark brown and even though the stain is still somewhat present. It's definitely blended better than what it originally was. I'm gonna keep experimenting but I think the color looks pretty cool to be honest.

spacer.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Wasrovv Slociw said:

So I did a solution of dylon dark brown and even though the stain is still somewhat present. It's definitely blended better than what it originally was. I'm gonna keep experimenting but I think the color looks pretty cool to be honest.

spacer.png

I would recommend using a non-chlorine bleach based color remover similar to this: https://www.ritdye.com/products/color-remover-2/

There are similar products on the market that you can use to pull the color out of the fabric without excessive damage to it.  Here are instructions on its use: https://www.ritdye.com/instructions/how-to-use-rit-color-remover/

I would suggest using a "color remover" like the product above which will lighten the dark brown and then thoroughly wash it, then use the dylon olive color again. 

As for the stain spots that you currently have, the color remover will help with this, but not fully remove it.  It will also depend on what the stain is from, oil, specific chemical?

I would definitely consider getting some green tones back into the uniform when you are able.

As Blackwatch noted, it will be a bit more of a challenge for dyes to absorb in the same manner with the introduction of various acidic washes such as vinegar and even this non-chlorine bleach color remover, but it will still allow you to get more green back into the uniform.

45 minutes ago, TeaJay said:

I would recommend using a non-chlorine bleach based color remover similar to this: https://www.ritdye.com/products/color-remover-2/

There are similar products on the market that you can use to pull the color out of the fabric without excessive damage to it.  Here are instructions on its use: https://www.ritdye.com/instructions/how-to-use-rit-color-remover/

I would suggest using a "color remover" like the product above which will lighten the dark brown and then thoroughly wash it, then use the dylon olive color again. 

As for the stain spots that you currently have, the color remover will help with this, but not fully remove it.  It will also depend on what the stain is from, oil, specific chemical?

I would definitely consider getting some green tones back into the uniform when you are able.

As Blackwatch noted, it will be a bit more of a challenge for dyes to absorb in the same manner with the introduction of various acidic washes such as vinegar and even this non-chlorine bleach color remover, but it will still allow you to get more green back into the uniform.

Working on it. I ordered two pods of Dylon Olive Green. I will have it restored hopefully with minimal staining. I will try out the Rit Color Remover.

• Like 2

Sooo... Good news and an interesting take! @TeaJay

The Rit Color Remover absolutely solved my stain issue! 

It appears my whole uniform went from the brown/green color to an indigo blue.

So I guess my next question is, can I go ahead and redye it or should I continue using the color remover until I get a more satisfied result?

spacer.png

• Confused 1

Great news on the stain!

The base denim used by KeepTrooping / ImperialBoots is a dark indigo. As we all know, the uniform ships with the normal outside material on the inside... it looks like that dye has made its way to the other side of the fabric when using the dye remover. Yes, you can do it another time if you'd like. It may lighten the blue some more, but if you notice that the texture/feel of your fabric is becoming more rough or "fuzzier" than before. Be careful not to over do it.

Do not use bleach even if you want to lighten it a lot, it will do much more harm than good.

Looking forward to seeing the green dye added back in.

Good luck!

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, TeaJay said:

Great news on the stain!

The base denim used by KeepTrooping / ImperialBoots is a dark indigo. As we all know, the uniform ships with the normal outside material on the inside... it looks like that dye has made its way to the other side of the fabric when using the dye remover. Yes, you can do it another time if you'd like. It may lighten the blue some more, but if you notice that the texture/feel of your fabric is becoming more rough or "fuzzier" than before. Be careful not to over do it.

Do not use bleach even if you want to lighten it a lot, it will do much more harm than good.

Looking forward to seeing the green dye added back in.

Good luck!

Sweet! Then I'll go ahead and start to redye it!

• Like 1