Darth Emphatic Bucket

Alright, so I have been working on painting my bucket from scootch's run. I have sanded, painted, resanded because it sucked, painted again, and sanded. I tried something knew this time, a rollbar gloss black spray paint. It actually went on pretty well, but it still isn't perfectly smooth. I just can't seem to get this to where I want it.

dscn2883b.jpg

dscn2884lx.jpg

Darth - That looks pretty good. But I think it will all depend on what the helmet and kit look like together. If you're looking for really shiney maybe try a high gloss clear coat of the same brand as your main colour.

- I should mention that I suck at painting and that I shipped out the only bucket I've ever painted, so my advice probably isn't the best.

LOL - And, uhm ... how do people feel about your freshly painted lid sitting on the "good table runner" or the brass candle stick? People around my house don't care for that kind of thing ... not one bit ;).

Yeah Darth I think a couple coats of Automobile primer sanded from 800 to 2000 grit then use Rustoleum premium high gloss black and that should do the trick. I saw a good tutorial on a white bucket and used the method for my suit. Worked really well on my IG helmet too. I'll try to find the link on FISD

Hope that helps :yes:

If you can find it that would be great. I have followed advise from many others, but so much seems to fall back on luck to keep a smooth coat, even if the bucket is smooth before you paint. The paint itself can rough up in spots as it builds and I just dont know how to avoid that. I really want to get this bucket done, I have been sitting on it for far too long.

• 2 weeks later...

With the one I am working on, I tried primer, clear coats, and several kinds of paints, for me, Harris Paint, Gloss, worked fine, no primer, just a lot of sanding to smooth the surface.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my bucket painted. What do you think? I think it came out quite well. The back of the bucket in the side pictures looks funny, but that's actually from the reflection, this think is nice and shiny.

Now I have to do the rest. Not sure how I am going to do the teeth yet. Painted them last time, which I can probably do again. the lenses will come out of my old bucket, as will the interior fans. I have aerators, they just need to be painted. Looks like I have a weekend project planned. Can't wait to get out of my giant TX bucket which I will probably end up selling.

dsc0083vr.jpg

dsc0084e.jpg

dsc0085iq.jpg

Oh, I know everything I said is acceptable, I was curious what others thought about the look. I worry about not getting that distinction in the areas by keeping them gloss. Flat black I think is best but I have to paint on my nice new shiny bucket. I am not inclined to go gray again.

Your paint job is Outstanding Darth. Almost looks shinier than the ABS lid you've got there. Dunno if the black aerator mesh is ok by standards but it would look super stealthy :thumbsup:

Your paint job is Outstanding Darth. Almost looks shinier than the ABS lid you've got there.

Thanks man. You really can't beat going the autoshop route. I would do this from the beginning next time.

Dunno if the black aerator mesh is ok by standards but it would look super stealthy :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's what I was curious about. I have metal mesh for it as well. Do we have any closeup film screens of the aerator? There are different kits floating out there, I am just curious what is actually most accurate.

Thanks man. You really can't beat going the autoshop route. I would do this from the beginning next time.

Yeah, that's what I was curious about. I have metal mesh for it as well. Do we have any closeup film screens of the aerator? There are different kits floating out there, I am just curious what is actually most accurate.

You had that done at an auto shop? cool. how much was it if you don't mind me asking.

The black aerators are being discussed. ;)

I've done my screen in black for the time being. Its easy to switch out so I justed wanted to see how it would look. I will post pics tonight.

The paint job cost me $80. I know, you can get lucky with it being cheaper. Matt got one done for $50. I liked this guy and trusted him to do a good job so considering how crappy my own paint job had been, I was okay with spending the extra money.

I had to add some fiberglass/resin to the inside of the dome since it had some flex to it (I also did this in the aerator holes). That was done yesterday. I will post pics tonight. I also have some lenses cut from a motorcycle visor that I am trying to get the proper curvature out of right now. Will be seeing how those came out tonight.