Gar Saxon Helmet Modeling Discussion

I had time at lunch to start on the detailed exam, so here's what I have for the front view so far.  I put the front view side by side with the best screen we have, resized to match the scale.  I then took measurements to see how everything compared.  It's incredible how close you've already got so many of the features already!

image.thumb.jpeg.624f734df9758c6b76af2d26b6a42bdb.jpeg

I then prepared a summary of where I think we could get it more accurate:

image.thumb.jpeg.ff4d9f0bf1e9f9bd86b520f177c99065.jpeg

Don't worry about some of the tiny percentages, I'm not suggesting that if the right antenna isn't 3% shorter it's going to fail clearance 😁  So if it's going to take 12 hours to make a 3% change somewhere, please don't wasting your time on tiny stuff that no one will notice!  This is just to try and find out what the "perfect" helmet is, compared to what you've already created.  It's entirely up to you how close you want to get it.  I'm also very aware this is an animated helmet that we're recreating, so realistically you may need to change some of the proportions slightly so that it actually fits on a human head!

In summary though, the main points:

• Both antennae could be slightly shorter and thinner.
  • The dome needs to be slightly taller, while the lower half of the helmet needs to be slightly shorter.
  • Earcaps need to be a little narrower.
  • Central visor needs to be slightly narrower.
  • Top and bottom cheek panels need to be slightly less curved.  I think the hollow where the top and bottom plates meet is currently too deep and sharp.  The bottom edges of the helmet should look almost straight from the front view.
  • The recessed panel line above the eye visor could maybe be a tiny bit narrower.
  • Where the top panel lines run over the ears, they should be angle back gradually, not running straight up at 90 degrees.

Everything else looks great to me.  The main eye visor in particularly is absolutely perfect!

And just a little bit more on the shaping at the bottom of the faceplate:

image.thumb.jpeg.4ddd0767cdf7f94c7a50bb13e61057b3.jpeg

The bottom edges of the lower cheek plates should look like a straight line from the front.  The top and bottom edges of the teeth should be slightly curved.

Also, the bottom points of the red face plate seem to stick out slightly, so that they are lower than both the cheek plates and the bottom edge of the teeth.

12 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

I had time at lunch to start on the detailed exam, so here's what I have for the front view so far.  I put the front view side by side with the best screen we have, resized to match the scale.  I then took measurements to see how everything compared.  It's incredible how close you've already got so many of the features already!

image.thumb.jpeg.624f734df9758c6b76af2d26b6a42bdb.jpeg

I then prepared a summary of where I think we could get it more accurate:

image.thumb.jpeg.ff4d9f0bf1e9f9bd86b520f177c99065.jpeg

Don't worry about some of the tiny percentages, I'm not suggesting that if the right antenna isn't 3% shorter it's going to fail clearance 😁  So if it's going to take 12 hours to make a 3% change somewhere, please don't wasting your time on tiny stuff that no one will notice!  This is just to try and find out what the "perfect" helmet is, compared to what you've already created.  It's entirely up to you how close you want to get it.  I'm also very aware this is an animated helmet that we're recreating, so realistically you may need to change some of the proportions slightly so that it actually fits on a human head!

In summary though, the main points:

• Both antennae could be slightly shorter and thinner.
  • The dome needs to be slightly taller, while the lower half of the helmet needs to be slightly shorter.
  • Earcaps need to be a little narrower.
  • Central visor needs to be slightly narrower.
  • Top and bottom cheek panels need to be slightly less curved.  I think the hollow where the top and bottom plates meet is currently too deep and sharp.  The bottom edges of the helmet should look almost straight from the front view.
  • The recessed panel line above the eye visor could maybe be a tiny bit narrower.
  • Where the top panel lines run over the ears, they should be angle back gradually, not running straight up at 90 degrees.

Everything else looks great to me.  The main eye visor in particularly is absolutely perfect!

this is all amazing.

I will make all the changes.  Now that i see ti, if i dont make the changes, it will be stuck in my head forever that its not perfect

Will be a few days before i can get to it due to life, but i await the critiques for the sides and back. or should we wait for those until im done the front changes sicnce it will change the side profiles etc

Yes, I think you're right, it's probably safest to wait until we've double checked the sides and back before you start making any changes.  No point doing the same job twice if we can get everything done in one go!  I might get a little time in between work today, but if not then I'll try to find some time over the weekend.  I'm taking Del Meeko on a troop tomorrow, but I should have some time on Sunday with some luck.

The back is a lot harder due to the poorer references screens we have.  Measurements aren't possible, so I've had to eyeball it.

image.thumb.jpeg.d04f6be6ef02d0b303202b1db5238cd4.jpeg

First, in red, the top panel lines need to angle backwards from the front, like I mentioned on the last view.  Also, they should be raised up higher at the back so that all three lines are higher than the ear plates.

In blue, the panel should be a little narrower.

In green, the central plate should then be made wider to fill the space created by narrowing the blue plates.

In purple, this cut out should be moved to match the central plate growing.  It also looks to be a straighter line along the top than you currently have in the draft model.

In yellow, there seems to be a much smaller gap between the bottom of the central plate and the rim at the bottom of the helmet.

In pink, the three rectangles in the centre of the plate - I think the middle rectangle needs to be slightly shorter, with the top and bottom rectangles being slightly taller.

What do you think?

A quick run through of the sides (I'll leave the right ear cap until the next post)

image.thumb.jpeg.fa864aa805957c6dae709ea3d7fc2b56.jpeg

As before, the red shows roughly where the recessed panel lines above the visor should run.

Yellow shows where panel lines should continue.

Also, blue shows where maybe we should also add panel lines?

Finally, a detailed breakdown of the right ear cap and antennae.  I was able to get good measurements for these, so I've broken everything down as a percentage of the total height of the ear cap and antennae combined:

image.thumb.jpeg.7b8103ccc649bd055fcc640fc2101842.jpeg

I tried to make it as clear as I could, but please let me know if anything doesn't make sense!

EDIT!  I forgot to include it on the diagram, but the percentage for the depth (blue line marked 76px) is 7%

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, beren88 said:

@tipperaryred

im just off on holidays for anotehr week. but what do you think of the updates?

Sorry mate, been on my own holidays since Tuesday too! I'm back at the end of next week, so I'll catch up on everything ASAP on my return.

• Thanks 1
On 7/23/2023 at 2:39 AM, tipperaryred said:

Sorry mate, been on my own holidays since Tuesday too! I'm back at the end of next week, so I'll catch up on everything ASAP on my return.

no worries. we all lead lives. once its got the go ahead. i want to start printing it and painting it

Incredible work mate, you got that spot on.  I've been through the entire list and the only thing I can see that needs fixing is the angled panel line in the bottom corner of the right earcap.  You had it in on the early drafts but it is missing in the renders above.

Once that is back in, I think you're good to go :-)

• Thanks 1