PiotrRasputin's Death Trooper WIP

Hello everyone!

I am an active 501st member from the Midwest Garrison. Got approved back in May 2023 with my Imperial Security Officer (Non-Saga).  After doing a few troops around Chicago, and getting to know my fellow TK's, I decided I would commit to getting my first bucket.  I expressed interest to my garrison during a troop that I wanted to do a Death Trooper as we don't have one (that I know of), and me being 6'4", would be a natural fit for it.  Luckily, one of our TK's tagged me in a Facebook post from 850 Armorworks that they were selling an already completed set.  

After messaging the owner via email to confirm some details (already painted two-tone according to CRL, only worn twice, very close body measurements), we agreed on a price and they will be shipping it to me for delivery prior to Halloween.  

Included in the kit is:

-Helmet with NSM monitor, already wired with lights

-Full body armor ,strapping

-XL undersuit (Ordered replacement from Jim Tripon 11/12/23)

-Gloves - Ordered larger replacements from Endor Finders (Ordered 11/7/23- Delivered 11/10/23)

-Size 12/13 boots

-No weapons

FKBVblh.jpg 

Once I receive it, I'll inspect it and reach out to my local garrison to help me do a test fitting and get pictures for approval. I'll share the pictures he sent me when I get home tonight.

Right now, I'm just looking to get basic approval with the modified E-11D blaster.  Hoping to get everything ready before our big Chicago convention of C2E2 in April!

Pieces meeting CRL Criteria

Abdomen Armor

Back Armor

Balaclava

Chest Plate & Shoulder Straps

Codpiece

Forearms

Gloves/Handplates

Shoulder Armor

Replaced Left Forearm Rockets with new ones from Phoenix Props, resin ones broke. (Ordered 11/12/23, Delivered 11/17/23)

Jim Tripon Undersuit - (Ordered 11/12/23 , Delivered 1/8/24, tailored 2/24/24)

-Replacement boots from CrowProps - (Ordered 2/23/24, Delivered 4/1/24)

Parts On Order

-Replacement Posterior Armor made by 850 Armorworks to replace broken one completed 2/13/24. Will ship with thighs when those are resized.

-Thighs are being resized by 850 Armorworks.

-Helmet: All parts 3D printed with MCM Design's files  (in progress as of 4/16/24)

Parts to Review

-Double 3 canvas pouch sizes.

Parts to Redo

-Lower Back Thermal detonator : will need to get a new one, I count 18 grooves on mine, CRL states "approximately 14".

• Like 1

I’m equal parts excited for you and jealous of you. :)

I’m intentionally doing mine as a project, but I’ve got at least another month before it ships to me as an unfinished kit. 

I’m looking forward to seeing your kit, once it arrives. 

Well...Big Brown Box Day has arrived! After unpacking everything and reviewing youtube videos on how to put this on, here it is! 

DoFRQ2Z.jpg0MXZ4Ud.jpgW4oMGQ4.jpgVPhqQA1.jpgZcXkA9S.jpg

Granted this was a rough try on, but here are my initial thoughts. 

I am definitely going to need some adjustments with the under suit as it's a little baggy in the pants. Also, I have bigger thighs/calves and will need to figure that out as they aren't closing in place all the way.  Some trimming around the forearm ends will also need to be done since it was a little tight squeezing my hands through.
The toughest part is the helmet as I can only get it halfway down my forehead. I think it's an issue with the visors that are already attached. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I may have to find one in a bigger size and see if maybe I can return it to the seller for a small refund.

Unfortunately, the posterior protection plate arrived with a crack in it so I will reach out to the seller and see if there's anything he can do about it. And before anyone says anything, this guy bubble wrapped everything to hell very nicely.
It looks like an armor party with the Midwest Garrison is in my future.

• Like 1
On 10/26/2023 at 3:51 AM, PiotrRasputin said:

Granted this was a rough try on.....

Dan, hell there is a LOT to do with this one before going anywhere😅 I'm on holiday atm, but for a first review here are my initial thoughts:

Heat and form the biceps armor to bring more tightness to your arms and attach a holding strap to the shoulder bells. The butt plate sits UNDER the belt and is attached with a strap between your legs to the codpiece. Attach the thighs to the belt with straps to hold them up. The rear right canvas pouch is missing on the belt also the third rocket cylinder on the left forearm. Tuck in your shoe laces! I can't see the side buckles were the front and rear armor connect, don't know if they are in place?

These are the things you can do easily and quick at first. Try a new fitment and watch for the details! 

13 minutes ago, Lt. Dan said:

Dan, hell there is a LOT to do with this one before going anywhere😅 I'm on holiday atm, but for a first review here are my initial thoughts:

Heat and form the biceps armor to bring more tightness to your arms and attach a holding strap to the shoulder bells. The butt plate sits UNDER the belt and is attached with a strap between your legs to the codpiece. Attach the thighs to the belt with straps to hold them up. The rear right canvas pouch is missing on the belt also the third rocket cylinder on the left forearm. Tuck in your shoe laces! I can't see the side buckles were the front and rear armor connect, don't know if they are in place?

These are the things you can do easily and quick at first. Try a new fitment and watch for the details! 

Appreciate the feedback! Yeah, these were just a "put it on now to see what has to be adjusted" set of photos. No beauty contest winner here. 😁

I have one of our resident TK's from my garrison setting up time with me to go over everything piece by piece in person.  Biggest issues is the helmet right now, so he's going to look over that with me first.

Also, one of the rocket cylinders cracked off in transit so I'm going to get some E6000 to reattach it, unless you can suggest another adhesive.

Fantastic build, I am in the slow process of building mine, I have my helmet mostly complete, I have posted my last update in recruit area I believe. Did you get your soft parts from Jim Tripon? I have tried to message him for prices and have gotten no reply yet. I dont want to send to many messages. It's going to be a while as I continue building my armor. always looking here for tips and advice.   

16 hours ago, SaltyGoat357 said:

Fantastic build, I am in the slow process of building mine, I have my helmet mostly complete, I have posted my last update in recruit area I believe. Did you get your soft parts from Jim Tripon? I have tried to message him for prices and have gotten no reply yet. I dont want to send to many messages. It's going to be a while as I continue building my armor. always looking here for tips and advice.   

Just FYI - I ordered my Soft parts and kit from Jim Tripon in mid-september (hasn't shipped yet).  At the time he told me he had a 2 month wait for soft parts.  However, he was fairly responsive.  I think almost every message was responded to within 1 business day, if not sooner.

On 10/28/2023 at 9:13 PM, SaltyGoat357 said:

My purchase included the soft parts: 2 part tunic, boots and gloves.  I DEFINITELY need the pants taken in by a tailor, so right now I have them pinned closer with safety pins.

One concern I have at the moment is the helmet. I have a fairly big head, about 24.25" around and after taking the green visor out and padding that was installed out, I find my nose is still pressing up against the inside (where i'm pointing in the pic). Has anyone else experienced this or should I consider looking for a larger helmet?

Gab6RVK.jpg

• Like 1

Been going over each piece against the CRL and making progress.

-Balaclava ordered and received today.

-Undersuit/gaskets: I knew tailoring was going to be needed to fit me better, mainly taking in excess in the arms and legs. But in addition, the neck gasket ribs are not the specified thickness of about 3/8". They are closer 3/16". Additionally, the Abdominal/Kidney gaskets were installed in the wrong direction, going upward back to front at to higher an angle.   Considering all the time/labor/material to fix and match what I currently have, I will be reaching out to Jim Tripon this weekend for a suit.

F3YUA2H.jpgecKJrlk.jpgUExLkli.jpg

-Gloves: I have big hands and need to go up a size. I can re-use the armor plates that came with my order.  Ordered an XL pair from Endor Finders.

• Like 1

Replacement gloves from Endor Finders came in and fit me perfectly and extend much further down my wrist. Worth the upgrade.lc1xnH6.jpg

Also did more CRL reviews over the weekend and here's where I'm at:

Pieces meeting CRL Criteria

Abdomen Armor

Back Armor

Balaclava

Chest Plate & Shoulder Straps

Codpiece

Forearms

Gloves/Handplates

Shoulder Armor

Parts On Order

-Left Forearm Rockets from Phoenix Props, current resin ones broke unfortunately. Ordered 11/12/23.

-Soft parts shirt and pants combo from Jim Tripton, ordered 11/12/23.

-Replacement boots, will order "Killer" style boots from KeepTrooping in December's wave.

-Waiting for replacement Posterior Armor pieced that got damaged while in transit. 850 Armor Works will provide for free.

Parts to Review

-Helmet: may have to 3D print this and sell current one as it is a very tight fit for my head with no padding.

-Lower Back Thermal detonator : will need to get a new one, I count 18 grooves on mine, CRL states "approximately 14".

-Double check belt buckle and 3 canvas pouch sizes.

Parts to Redo

-Thighs: Not surprised they barely fit me, as I have very large, muscular legs. Additionally, there are parts along the bottom that just don't match with the CRL at all.

buz1nPg.jpg

Will have to chat with my local garrison to see about 3D printing replacements using MCM Designs files.

Helmet: Will probably get to upsizing this with 3D printing MCM Designs files after I'm done with the thighs since it's more complex.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought Tom's 3D Print files for the Helmet today.  From what I've seen on the forum, it looks like resin printing is the way to go.

I will probably need to upsize them as my forehead circumference is about 25.25", which caused issues with my 850 Helmet. 

Question for the group is, when it comes to 3D printing helmets, how did you go about it? Just trial and error, or did your 3D printing programs allow you to choose the dimensions?  I don't have a 3D printer myself, but members of my garrison do, so I will ask them to print the parts for me. 

Dan, you might want to use a software program called Armorsmith Designer. It allows you to make an avatar to your body dimensions and then scale a 3D file to fit. Someone in your Garrison may have it and can do it for you. I don't have Tom's helmet file or I could do it for you. Another option is to straight line measure your head front to back and side to side and then scale the assembled file in something like 3D Builder (a Window's program) or Blender, and use the measuring feature to scale the file to your measurements. Try and error could waste a lot of material until you get it correct.

• Thanks 2

So it just so happens that my garrison's Din Djarin has a 3D printer and lives pretty close to me. We just had a troop this past Saturday and brought the current helmet I have with and showed him the issue with it. Fits him fine as expected since his head is smaller than mine. 

I sent him the files for the helmet and gave him my forehead circumference in centimeters, so he will do a scale up slice print and let me know when its done to see how it would fit. I also mentioned to him there are files out there to 3D print calipers for properly measuring heads if he wants to try that.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update:

Messaged 850 Armorworks about the thigh sizing and the owner said to send them back with my measurements so he can refit them for me. I'll be shipping them out this week.  They will also be getting work on the replacement posterior armor piece that cracked in shipment to me in January when they start another run of Deathrooper orders at the same time.

Additionally, my Din Djarin managed to print off the biggest part of the helmet for me, scaled up a bit, so we are going to coordinate a meetup and see how it fits before printing the rest out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the long wait is over and today I received my 2 piece undersuit from Jim Tripon!

gwSuOhw.jpg

HsuoMBK.jpg

Pld3U3P.jpg

bA5GCyF.jpg

I think I'll need to take in the area around the calves a bit as I did a test fit with the shin armor and there was bit much fabric left over.  Also, I think I will have to trim the ends of the forearm armor as the have a slight curved, inward lip that is catching on the sleeves.  Would a dremel cutting tool be best for this?

Otherwise, VERY happy with the end result!  

Now to pay some bills and move on to getting the boots next.  I wanted to get in on the January wave from KeepTrooping, but they only went up to size 12.5 US and I wear size 13.  If I don't see them in that size in February, I might just go with CrowProps instead.

• Like 1

Awesome. If I could give you some advice. I put elastic straps on the bottom of the legs, so that I could put them  under my foot arch when I put my boots on. It keeps the legs from riding up out of the boots. Also I put an elastic strap on the ends of the sleaves that lined up with my thumbs. This keeps the ends of the sleaves from pulling out of the gloves. I got the idea from a photo that Victor Botha posted, his undersuit had sleave thumb holes. Just a suggestion.

fb2XikZ.jpgsupyt4t.jpg0uuuFD6.jpg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Chaos said:

Awesome. If I could give you some advice. I put elastic straps on the bottom of the legs, so that I could put them  under my foot arch when I put my boots on. It keeps the legs from riding up out of the boots. Also I put an elastic strap on the ends of the sleaves that lined up with my thumbs. This keeps the ends of the sleaves from pulling out of the gloves. I got the idea from a photo that Victor Botha posted, his undersuit had sleave thumb holes. Just a suggestion.

fb2XikZ.jpgsupyt4t.jpg0uuuFD6.jpg

Yep, definitely will do that!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Helmet progress!

My garrison's Din Djarin stopped by and dropped off the biggest pieces of the upscaled Tom's file helmet he 3D printed for me.  

Here's a shot next to the 850 Armorworks helmet that is too small for my head.  I will probably sell it if and when I get approved with everything. For now, it will be filling, sanding, filling sanding, etc. for some time.  Right now its about 10 degrees in Chicago, so I'll need for things to warm up above freezing as I don't have a heated or insulated garage.

GeEbAf2.jpg

The printed one fits me MUCH better and after running to the hardware store to get most of the screws to hold the pieces in place, I found the issue of the 850 one pressing against the bridge of my nose completely gone, and I can easily take the new one off my head now.  

bG7FHHK.jpg

I did have one question though about the screws.  On the inside, there are 4 M3 x 8mm screws in the cheek area.  Just wondering, what is purpose of the screw in the area I circled? The screw isn't grabbing onto anything as there.

ukl0ETN.jpg