PiotrRasputin's Death Trooper WIP

My garrison helper got back to me and did inform me the seam was held together with CA glue.

So I'm actually going to keep the parts that are still attached intact and order what he used from GlueMasters to reconnect the seams after cleaning them up slightly. Then I'll get the 2 part epoxy mix to line the inside of the helmet for additional strength.

In the mean time, I'll start the blackwash of the silver parts tonight to give them their weathered look.

• Like 1

While waiting for the CA Glue to arrive, I whipped up a batch of blackwash paint for weathering the silver parts.  I just used the Rustoleum Flat Black, sprayed it in a disposable cup, and mixed in a generous amount of water and mixed thoroughly.  Gave it a test run on the underside of the side grill as those won't be seen. I applied it lightly with a sponge brush then wiped with a shop rag I had.

Thoughts?  Definitely cuts down on the metaliacity as @DoggyDoc coined the term.

MtXtB78.jpg

• Like 1

Had the day off from work, so I was able to attempt the dome repair.  Cleaned up the seams that split slightly with a dremel sander for a straight clean surface and applied CA glue and held it in place for a good minute.  Most areas took it well, so I added more on the front and back sides of the seams, wiping them down for a clean fill.  Once those held, I reinforced those areas with bondo and am currently letting it cure. 2 part epoxy will be applied after I give the bondo a light sanding on the inside.

ykHCt5I.jpgOtrjGvt.jpgsTzamlt.jpgjALF6mc.jpg?1

While that is going on, I also finished up weathering the silver parts thanks to the feedback on the blackwash mix I made.

JTjNyO7.jpg

And to the wrap up this update, I cut and put in the wire grill under the side grill pieces with E6000. Will put the weed guard cloth underneath it when the adhesive cures.

Cl6n1VE.jpg

@PiotrRasputin Dan, good thing you used E6000 for the side vent screens, that gauge is too big, the screening is much smaller.

here is a reference photo

mkw6cyS.png

I and a few others have used this type of metal screen mesh patch before:

https://www.amazon.com/Window-Screen-Repair-Aluminum-3-Inch/dp/B000BQUTC2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Happy 501st Day!

It's been a long month of sanding the helmet, followed by lining the inside with UV resin to add strength. But I'm pushing forward and was happy enough with the smoothness to give the dome a coat of the gloss black paint yesterday.  Checked on it this morning, and while it is very smooth to the touch, it has a hazy look to it.  This is the Enamel Gloss Appliance Spray from Rustoleum I used.    Not sure why it came out this way. It has been over 60 degrees up here around Chicago the past week with not too bad humidity. 

psH3oUt.jpgVkX1Fcy.jpg

5rj5e1p.jpgx9ak7Y0.jpg

In other updates, I attached the "nose grill" and updated the smaller vent grills on the side. 

btrnGGT.jpgrIegvCs.jpg

And just to change things up, I tried on my Jim Tripon leggings with CrowProp boots to give the shins a walk test around the house. 

mZ5HAfJ.jpgfyKOZK7.jpgVfcntKA.jpgJt7lJ32.jpg

It was a pretty comfortable walk and I didn't fall down. I do think some trimming on the top back area is in the future, but I'm not focusing on that right now. More so want to get the helmet done than anything. 

• Like 1

So I decided to try a 2nd coat of the gloss enamel spray paint on a small area of the main helmet I already sprayed 2 days ago to see if that would help with the haziness, and that seemed to do the trick in terms of making it have that smooth, glossy look.  I'm at work right now, so I'll post a picture later tonight.

• Like 1

So after letting the 2nd coat dry while I was out trooping for May the 4th events, I checked the dome out in the sun today and I'm still seeing the haziness when I initially saw clear, smooth coats after applying it.  I'm also noticing specks every so often.  

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I'm starting the spray before going over the dome, and hitting it lightly, with multiple passes.  As this point, should I just consider priming it white and start over?  This is the last part I need to paint before I can truly assemble the helmet.

x9ak7Y0.jpgOHDmyr2.jpg58nYped.jpgcHXg00F.jpgLW9yghM.jpg3XVLYWD.jpg

I had a bunch of problems with my clear coat not being very shiny and found that using a car polisher with a cutting compound followed by a buffing polish made it really shine.  Not sure if this is the solution for you but it saved me repainting. 

if you used the Appliance enamel, let it cure for a week and then hit it with a polisher and polishing compound. its just like a car paint finish.  Also the Appliance enamel is designed to go on as a "wet" coat. Light coats without a complete wet coverage will create spotty areas. I had to practice 4-5 times on a scrap piece of plastic I had before I sprayed my armor. Also the recoat times are different than your standard spray paints, recoat withing 30 minutes (I usually use 10-15) or 1 week. If you recoat outside of 30 and before a week you'll get an orange peel look.

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

if you used the Appliance enamel, let it cure for a week and then hit it with a polisher and polishing compound. its just like a car paint finish.  Also the Appliance enamel is designed to go on as a "wet" coat. Light coats without a complete wet coverage will create spotty areas. I had to practice 4-5 times on a scrap piece of plastic I had before I sprayed my armor. Also the recoat times are different than your standard spray paints, recoat withing 30 minutes (I usually use 10-15) or 1 week. If you recoat outside of 30 and before a week you'll get an orange peel look.

I did use the Appliance enamel to give the outside more strength per your experience.  

So basically, light coat it with the enamel paint, wait less than 30 minutes, spray again, repeat until glossy?

Can I recoat it with the enamel paint at this point to fix this, or would I have to use the primer/filler to coat it all over, and resand it before trying again? 

Since I sprayed it before the 4th, I'll wait until Sunday before trying again.

In the mean time, i'll be getting my snap button kit for the armor by Wednesday, so I'll start connecting the shoulder and biceps together.

Dan,

If you are going to put another coat of the Appliance paint on the helmet, I would wet sand it done to 800 or 1000 grit, looks like you have some orange peeling. Clean it really good with mild degreaser let dry and sit for 5-7 days, then apply another coat using the "wet coat" method. You don't need a filler/primer, you just need a really smooth surface.

I would also spray it in an area void of dust and flying particles. Since the paint is thicker than most it dries slower and susceptible to things sticking to it.

• Thanks 1