Fivezero's '71 Chevelle Project

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad collects military vehicles. They are all vehicles he drove when he was in (he served in Desert Storm). We also have an M998 HMMWV, M108 Crane Truck, M925 5-ton, 2x M151 MUTTs (that he's restoring slowly) and my M1009 CUCV that I drive when I'm not driving the Chevelle. They're fun to take to shows, kids can climb in them and get pictures taken, etc. unlike most other regular cars. :D

• 4 months later...

Well winter is coming, so today was the last day I could really drive my Chevelle (which involved a nice car wash and filling the tank up). She now sits in the barn until I start working on her again (which should be soon, thanks barn!). Should be able to knock out some rust repair this winter though! ;) Maybe have her ready for some new paint by the summer?!?!?

Next big item mechanically to take care of is she needs a new radiator, the original one is tired and old and hasn't been doing a great job keeping the thing cool. Other than that it's all about making her look better now (you guys probably can't tell, but you can see it up close). :)

Fivezero

:D

Don't worry too much Tej, winter is brutal on automobiles up here in Michigan (the salt and snow rusts things out VERY quickly, just ask my truck, she's withering away slowly :(). I had to put the Chevelle away last year as well, the only difference this year is that our barn/shop is actually almost finished (concrete, electricity, heat, auto lift, etc.) so we can actually work on stuff through winter, last year the barn was just a big storage shed essentially. That and the weather is terrible for driving too, cold, dark, dreary, cold, snowy, cold.... It's nothing like driving on a nice summer day with all the windows down. :)

Fivezero

:D