Master Tej - Help with NovaTrooper Elite Armor Build

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I emailed ATA, and got an interesting response. He says he makes ATA armor, and that TE2 is an armor maker retired these days. I guess I phrased my request improperly, because you guys said he makes TE2 sized kits, meaning that his ATA kits are the same size as the TE2s were, right? He also says that his ATA kits would fit about the same as an AP kit.

So I looked at some images he gave me, and I now have a decision to make. I believe that the one offered from Mightytank is already trimmed, so that is a plus. Also, I don't know if ATA offers lite kits, because I really would like to buy the ARAKYEL lid, as I want to avoid as much assembly and trimming as possible to minimize that amount of mistakes I make, as working with this kind of assembly and whatnot is all fairly new to me. However, they are both black abs already, and if you think that the ATA kit will fit me better, that's something to consider. I'll have to see what ATA's price for a lite kit is, if he does offer one at all.

- Master Tej -

I apologize for the confusion. Totally my fault. The correct terminology would be "ANH derived" armor. TE2 and AP are sculpted based off of "ANH" armor which was made for a 5'10" 165lb male. If Mightytanks kits are based on AM armor then it is best fit for someone 6' 200+. both kits can fit any size trooper with the right amount of trimming and shaping with a heat gun but you'll end up with less work on the smaller armor. Also, the "pretrimmed" word I would assume means the flash (excess plastic from the vac-forming process) is trimmed off not meaning trimmed to your size. If you go with the larger kit be prepared to do alot more trimming and heatgun shaping as the arm/leg armor will probably be too large to fit flush to your body without some reshaping. You'll be cutting off inches versus centimeters on the thigh's guaranteed.

Like I said before I've worked with both and I would definately recommend the smaller armor at your height and weight. ATA does in fact offer a light kit but if you want to save cash get the whole kit from one guy. The lid may seem difficult but there's some great tutorials on FISD.net that would walk you right through with no problem. Also, if you do buy from arakyel and ATA be sure to find out exactly what type of paint ARAKYEL uses to make the gold stripes so you don't end up with funky off color stripes on your helmet and armor.

Hope this helps :NovaTrooper::thumbsup::NovaTrooper:

You know, I think I will follow your advice. I was beginning to get a bit concerned that purchasing from two separate armor manufacturers could create paint discrepancies and, although it may seem like more work to trim off all the excess from the armor, I would rather do that than have to do a lot of extra trimming for an overall fit. However, be prepared for lots of (sometimes stupid) questions! :teehee:

- Master Tej -

You can not go wrong with a bucket from ARAKYEL. And for a first timer, the lite kit from Mightytank is a good choice. Those are what I have, and I love them. If you ask ARAKYEL, he will send you your helmet with the gold unpainted but MASKED for painting, so you can use the same gold paint on your helmet AND your Armor. Mightytank is also in Garrison Tyranus, so you can't go wrong there. Plus, go in FISD (www.whitearmor.net) and find TKRestonva, Brian our XO. He was an enormous help to me in my build...

You can not go wrong with a bucket from ARAKYEL... Mightytank is also in Garrison Tyranus, so you can't go wrong there.

ARAKYEL definately has the best TX buckets out there... If Mightytank is in the same garrison that you are hoping to join maybe you can swing a discount on shipping and such. Either way Good Luck with your build and if you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM :thumbsup:

Well, Evilboy, if you don't mind me asking, what are your dimensions? I do want to be sure that the kit will fit me with minimal trimming, although I would note that ATA was not sure how much better his kit, as opposed to Mightytank's would fit me. Still have to measure my head, though, to be sure that my head will fit the helmet nicely.

- Master Tej -

Alright, I have a question about measuring my head. For the length, I did from one ear to the other. For depth, from my nose to the farthest back part of my head. For height, though, I used from my chin to the top of my head. Here are my results -

Length: 7 in.

Depth: 9 in

Height: 9 in

Do these all sound about right, just as conceivable head measurements? Did I use the right places for measurements? Does anything make my head sound like it would be the size of a watermelon?

- Master Tej -

Unfortunately I currently don't have a bucket to tell you if those measurements would suffice. But, I'll tell you this, an AM sized lid I'm pretty sure would fit even Andre the Giant if he were ever to dawn a TK so no worries there. An ANH sized IE: ARAKYEL is tight on pretty much anyone. WhenI would put mine on I would turn it sideways, slide it on and then slide it back into place. I had almost no nose room but it still fit me and looked much better on my 5'10 frame then the AM. There's positives to both sizes but in the end it all depends on what your looking for. :NovaTrooper::yes::NovaTrooper:

Alright, I've decided which armor I want to buy. I will be buying my kit from ATA, because Acjay personally said it would probably fit me with less trimming, so I don't want unnecessary adjustments to have to happen if I choose the suit from Mightytank. Also, ATA offers his cheaper. Now, though, the real question. Do I get the Nova Elite bucket offered from Arakyel, or do I just go ahead and get the full kit from ATA, and assemble the helmet myself? Arakyel messaged me and said that, with my measurements, the helmet could potentially require a good bit of trimming. There are pros and cons in either, but, when I finally do have the money (soon now) I want to be sure I'm getting the right lid. What do you guys think?

- Master Tej -

Don't know much about trimming the lid but if you put it together yourself you can put padding into it that will fit whatever size head you have. I bought my second lid from ARAKYEL and it was awesome but I put my first lid together with no costuming experience and it turned out pretty good too so either way you should be fine. If total cost is the issue go ATA. If your really worried about assembly go ARAKYEL. :thumbsup:

I have assembled a bucket and bought one a assembled. I will say, assembling can be a bit of a pain compared to having the bucket complete like the one I currently have from Arakyel. If you do buy from Arakyel I would advise that you either get it without padding or you ask for the padding not to be installed. I bought the full padding, but I have shifted and removed so many pieces to make it work for my head I wish I would have just had him send it to me separately. I will say, I believe Art had the padding installed by Arakyel and it fit him like a glove.

No, measurements like that are to fine-tuned to be possible from so far away. Steve was suggesting that if you purchase the helmet with padding you have ARAKYEL leave it out of the bucket for you to install later sort of ala carte. That way you can get the pads in there the way you need them to have the bucket fit you like a glove. I just got lucky that the way ARAKYEL put my padding in fit my head just right

:NovaTrooper::yes::NovaTrooper:

Well, I just got a message from Arakyel about both the padding and paint. I asked if they were already on the helmet, he said yes. So, I don't think I can ask for them off, which makes me think the whole process may involve less worry - potential differences in paint, differences in plastic, helmet size, etc. - if I just buy the full kit from ATA.

- Master Tej -

So, I expect to have enough money to buy the armor by next week. Wow, that was exciting just typing that. Anywho, I will be buying a full kit from ATA, as I believe that stands to be my best choice. In the meantime, here is a list of what I still believe I need to buy -

Construction materials (E-6000, Clamps, possibly some more Dremel materials)

Armor

Helmet

Thing that goes on the helmet above the face to conceal the joint between the dome and faceplate pieces, what is it?

Lenses

Mesh for behind the frown

Mic Tips

Padding

Fans

I-Comm

Speakers (Type Recommendations?)

Pauldron

Neckseal

Pouches

Body Glove

Backpack

Gloves

Boots

Blaster (a whole new post for that sometime)

Gold Paint

Did I miss anything, particularly in construction materials? I really want to be sure I get everything, without any other trouble.

- Master Tej -

Yeah, I saw he has another thread that recently resurfaced, but I think, rather than worry about it and stress, and also for cost reasons, I will just go with the full kit, and I will also gain the experience of building a helmet for myself. By the way, did you manage to finish your BH in time for the Celebration, Shade?

- Master Tej -

Alrighty then, I have been put on an estimated 5 month waiting list for the ATA armor . . . in the meantime, due to the missed opportunity with the DLT-19 from igrover, simply didn't get to it fast enough, I have decided to post about blasters. I have given this considerable thought and, although my first choice would've immediately been an E-11, that option is not available to Nova Elites. So, that leaves me with the 4 there. DLT-19, RT-97C, T-21, or a replication of the blaster held by the Nova Elite in the only reference.

DLT-19: I like the Sniper look of it, reminds me of the Snipers in Battlefront, and I think it overall looks cool. Don't like how large it is and how impractical it might be to wield.

RT-97C: Out of all the 3 shown in the CRL, this one and the DLT tie for best look. I like that the DLT appears as if it could be wielded by perhaps a more Commando type soldier, while the RT looks just plain mean and heavy, like you could mow down 20 Rebels, no problem (then again, I do that for breakfast every day . . .) Anyways, don't like, once again, the size.

T-21: Probably my least favorite. Don't really like the look, and don't like the size.

Reference Pic Nova Blaster: This one has some interesting attractors to it. I feel fairly neutral about the look, but I like that, in terms of size, it appears only a little larger than an E-11. Plus, the idea of building a new Blaster never before seen . . . well, it's both alluring and daunting at the same time. How much freedom would I get to design this if I chose to?

So, I really don't know. They all, except the T-21, have something I like. Any particular reason why I should go for one above the others?

- Master Tej -