Master Tej - Help with NovaTrooper Elite Armor Build

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you know how snaps fasten and unfasten? Well, rivets definitely don't unfasten. They are permanent. I buy snap packs like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250583909380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 I also use the heck out of the snap pliers at Joann.

I recommend the heavy-duty rivet tool at Lowes along with small alluminum rivets. It takes some getting used to using the rivet gun. You will need snaps for your strapping along with extra plastic for snap plates. I use For Sale signs and cut up squares for the snaps plates from those. You likely want to use snaps to secure your belt to the abdomen plate. You will rivet the thigh ammo belt to the thigh and will probably use rivets on your helmet as well.

Snaps are like buttons similar to a jacket. You can use them to snap and/or unsnap an attachment. Rivets are used to permanently attach a part and/or a section. See below:

I have snaps on my suspender system that correspond to the armor parts.

IMG_3733b.jpg

IMG_3763b.jpg

For my setup, the holster is riveted to the belt.

IMG_3834b.jpg

The sniper plate is also riveted to the L shin.

IMG_3642b.jpg

Alright, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure (you don't even know how embarrassed I was asking that). On the 16th of March it will have been 6 months of a wait for my ATA set. Isn't that a little large for a wait?

- Master Tej -

Alright, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure (you don't even know how embarrassed I was asking that). On the 16th of March it will have been 6 months of a wait for my ATA set. Isn't that a little large for a wait?

- Master Tej -

Don't be embarrassed. We all learned this stuff too and sharing is part of the community fun! Now waiting? Ya, I've been there too. But, you should contact the seller and touch base...

• 1 month later...

I finally got it! I got home, and was actually thinking about it, wondering when it would arrive, and then I went up to my bedroom, and guess what was on my bed?!! Well, that was rhetorical (Izzi can guess if he wants to), it was my big brown box! I hurriedly tore it open, frantically calling friends to geek out to them, and pulled out all of the bubble wrapped armor pieces! Everything appears to be in perfect order, and I am ecstatic to finally begin my build! It only took me 5 1/2 pages of my build thread to get here, too! Pictures should be coming soon, I just can't quite post them yet.

First big armor question: what should I use to cut off all of the excess plastic from my armor? I've heard lexan scissors mentioned quite a few times, but I'm not sure if I should get some of those, or use a dremel, or if normal scissors will suffice, or if I need something else entirely? Thanks!

:NovaTrooper: Master Tej :NovaTrooper:

Congrats Nick...and so glad you can start your box party! Yes, Lexan scissors are a good choice. Some folks use a dremmel but I have always relied on a trusted pair of cutters.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/89_2048_1595/products_id/35631/n/Racers-Edge-Curved-Lexan-Scissors?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds&source=google_ext&gclid=CPeX5Ief1LYCFRRgnAodEgkA9g

I prefer to score with an exacto blade then snap. Gives me nice clean lines.

I have gone wrong with scoring too many times, but I have also done that with scissors and the dremel, so what does that really say. I will tell you, I trimmed most of my armor with a dremel because ABS is more annoying to cut through with scissors than HIPS.

My two cents... I used metal snips. They cut through the plastic like butter. the only issue I had initially was jaggys on the cuts. After the cut was made I would use my dremel to sand smooth the jaggies. The friction would create enough heat to fuse the micro-splits in the plastic on the edge so there would be no future durability issues and also crated nice clean lines.

Good luck and Congrats on the Big Brown Box :thumbsup:

Thanx bro..I used to paint trucks like the one i drive for my work now....

heavy1_zpsa9daa848.jpg

And no, :teehee: im not showing off....lol

I'm late on this so I'm going back to the truck... How much to paint my car with a kick-ass imperial design? And how far do I have to travel?!

-iz

• 3 weeks later...