Master Tej - Help with NovaTrooper Elite Armor Build

Sorry I haven't posted, I've been waiting unitl the end of this week. You see, for our final project in English 11, we had to demonstrate a process. It was really open ended in terms of project directions, so I decided to do "How to Build a Novatrooper Elite Helmet." I made a video tutorial, just below 20 minutes, which roughly explains the process. I also built my helmet in one week, the only prior work that I had done to the helmet being the trimming of auxiliary plastic and cutting out of the eyes and teeth. Therefore, I wanted to wait until I finished it to post here.

I have to say, I have mixed feelings about how the helmet turned out. On the one hand, I'm proud of it, because I am the one who made it, and that's pretty awesome. On the other hand, it's not that clean of a piece of work. The teeth and eyes weren't cut out as cleanly as they should be. The mohawk had paint bleed, so I had to use black paint to touch it up. My tube stripes are pieces of electrical tape, not paint or decals. The helmet hasn't been polished yet. The ear bolts need another few coats of black.

The largest two mistakes involve my neck trim and aerators. For the neck trim, I just plain couldn't figure out how to attach it! It just wouldn't attach well, kept bending out of shape, and I finally just set it aside. For the aerators, I actually lost one of the main aerator pieces. I had taken the pieces and my E-6000 outside to my garage so that I would have a well-ventilated space in which to glue the mesh in. I went back inside to grab something, and when I came out, one of them was gone! All of our animals were inside at the time, so I suspect it was blown under some shelves in our garage by wind. Anyways, I finished the other one, but didn't attach it.

So here are some pics. Please tell me all that's good and bad about it, and if it's even approvable!

IMG_2415_zps765f71e9.jpg

IMG_2417_zpsa0d00715.jpg

IMG_2420_zps2a5585a5.jpg

IMG_2422_zps1d56fc1b.jpg

IMG_2424_zpsb211c584.jpg

IMG_2426_zps154bf69f.jpg

IMG_2429_zps81442998.jpg

Sorry, I know it's pic heavy, I just couldn't help myself from posting those pics.

- Master Tej -

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nick,

I think it's going to be fine. For approval you definitely need the aerators and neck trim of course. I would replace the tube stripes as well. Aside from that, shine it up and call it a day bro.

I was reviewing the CRL and some other Nova builds, and I think I spotted a new problem with my helmet. The mohawk isn't supposed to continue all the way down the back of the helmet, is it?

- Master Tej -

good catch. you are correct about that.

Okay, I think I found another thing. Looking at the Nova in the forum's background photo, the gold on the sides of that helmet is a stripe: it doesn't continue down to the bottom lip of the helmet. Mine does. Should I correct that?

- Master Tej -

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I think I found another thing. Looking at the Nova in the forum's background photo, the gold on the sides of that helmet is a stripe: it doesn't continue down to the bottom lip of the helmet. Mine does. Should I correct that?

- Master Tej -

I would/did. haha.

Another thing I'm noticing, the consistency of the paint texture isn't there. IF you're going to correct this, I'd HIGHLY recommend using Rustoleum colors instead. I've used them on my Merc and my Nova, and get nothing but compliments on the paint jobs. In my experience, Krylon sucks. No offense to any of you, but I've never had anything but bad luck. It runs very easily and doesn't last nearly as long. So, as much as a pain in the butt it might be, I'd recommend a repaint with LOTS of coats (like three) of black and gold. If you'd like, I cost snag a picture of the colors I use?

I would/did. haha.

Another thing I'm noticing, the consistency of the paint texture isn't there. IF you're going to correct this, I'd HIGHLY recommend using Rustoleum colors instead. I've used them on my Merc and my Nova, and get nothing but compliments on the paint jobs. In my experience, Krylon sucks. No offense to any of you, but I've never had anything but bad luck. It runs very easily and doesn't last nearly as long. So, as much as a pain in the butt it might be, I'd recommend a repaint with LOTS of coats (like three) of black and gold. If you'd like, I cost snag a picture of the colors I use?

Yeah, a pic would be very much appreciated! And I have noticed too many problems with the paint, I was planning to just redo it. Which brings up another question: would heavy use of mineral spirits to get the gold paint off damage the ABS? I used some amounts to get rid of unwanted paint on the first job, but I'm not sure if really heavy use would be damaging.

Then again, I might just go ahead and get an ARAKYEL. Although there is a pride in knowing I put together a helmet, his look so badass . . .

- Master Tej -