Flametrooper tanks

Keep those photos coming please. How exciting. This is one of the most challenging parts of the costume IMHO. It is crucial to make it light enough so to not pull everything backward. I can't wait to see what you do with this.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, finally back from my very extended "2 week" work trip. Needless to say, I didn't get to far on the rest of my armour :( ON the bright side, made it back for opening night :)

Did manage to get some 3D work in while away, and came up with this:

Tank_brace_v2_zpsclb3oo6f.png

Haven't built it yet, but will try out some sizing today and post the PDO later today if I'm happy.

Here are a couple pics of the complete assembly. I think I'm done mucking-about with it for now and will start the unfolding process.

BackPack_02_zpsazlngvru.png

BackPack_01_zpsorhrfexx.png

Only the "seals" between the caps and canisters are a little impractical, and are better made with 3 layers of foam.

11148747_10152857716831167_2716667551411180141_n_zpsckaslluq.jpg

I would say based on this image it does appear to be a standard 2" gauge.

Anyone else care to chime in?

From this picture, compared to all the others we have seen, I'm leaning back towards at least a 6" tube. And around 4 to 4.5 inches on the smaller one. My models are 5 inch and 3.5 on the tubes.

This extra 2 inches overall would help with some of the scaling issues that have been bugging me while doing my models.

Going to rescale to a 6" tube on mine and see what that looks like. And will try 4.5 inches on the small one.

I'm also guessing on a tube length (without the caps on) of 20 inches. Giving the

That is looking great, and I agree that the small tube is just a tad large. Well-done!

well boys I'm a TK from the UK and this bad boy looks the nuts. Keep going with the build as this is one of those builds which will be a show stopper ! cant wait to keep in the loop with progress.

I've also been looking at the way this backplate sits with the tanks - I'm a scuba diver and first off whatever weight is on those tanks will not just be held with shoulder straps. I reckon looking at the armour there is likely to be a waist strap around the trooper, hidden by that armour where the base of the tanks joins it

So it'll be shoulder straps and a central waistband. This should allow the weight to sit centrally and not pull the shoulders up. I agree that I think the whole unit will lift on an off and that the back place is almost part of the armour - the rest sits on top and clips on.

Anyway dunno if that helps but certainly I think that within this build consider a waist band to help carry the wait. It may even have a cross strap from shoulder to waits and this is maybe why the chest armour sits proud and has armour sections across the chest and waist - underneath.

The trooper looks bigger built than the other TFA TK's and thats a reason I want to make this build as it'll suit me :)

Troop on boys awesome job so far !

Also just a quick one - is there any possibility of taking ideas from Super Soaker guns with back packs - I think you guys in the states have more of these than us - but provide some thoughts and sizing ??

I've also been looking at the way this backplate sits with the tanks - I'm a scuba diver and first off whatever weight is on those tanks will not just be held with shoulder straps. I reckon looking at the armour there is likely to be a waist strap around the trooper, hidden by that armour where the base of the tanks joins it

So it'll be shoulder straps and a central waistband. This should allow the weight to sit centrally and not pull the shoulders up. I agree that I think the whole unit will lift on an off and that the back place is almost part of the armour - the rest sits on top and clips on.

Anyway dunno if that helps but certainly I think that within this build consider a waist band to help carry the wait. It may even have a cross strap from shoulder to waits and this is maybe why the chest armour sits proud and has armour sections across the chest and waist - underneath.

Thanks for the tips :) There are a few pictures in the reference section that show how the entire backpack section connects to the back of the armour in 1 or 2 sections. From the looks, it seems there is something built into the armour holding all this on. I'm guessing some over-the-shoulder hanging system that is all part of the chest/back armour pieces. Put the chest/back on, then the brackets/backpack connects onto the back.

If someone else wants to do the armor then i can move on to something else hehe, if not i'll start making the bucket after i finish with the backtank.

I bought SGB bucket, but they don't really look screen accurate so i'll redo them from scratch.

I have Thorsson and Animefan lids. I think the Thorsson sculpt is not quite accurate, but the Animefan I'm quite happy with.

69D7CD86-944C-4E32-B9FD-1EF083141030_zpsfkmx7sqe.jpg

Thorsson on the left and Animefan on the right.

• Like 1

Here is the file I have been working on all unfolded and ready to assemble. No idea why the CommBox wants to sit way the heck down there, but it seems happy. Just attach it in the right area after assembly ;)

Just read the small note I added onto the layout; No need to printout all 90 pages unless your a Pep-Purist.

The large tanks are 23.3 inches tall. Still not to sure if this is the correct length, but seems fairly close when measuring down the back.

File link is under the picture.

BackPack_pdo_zps3lgah546.png

Update in post #90:

http://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/topic/3468-flametrooper-tanks/page__view__findpost__p__57445

Thanks for designing and sharing that file Rob. It looks good, and I can't wait to see it completed. Are you working on assembling it?

Thanks for designing and sharing that file Rob. It looks good, and I can't wait to see it completed. Are you working on assembling it?

Yes, I will start it next week I think. Will have some put together before I am sent off again for a couple weeks.

Be sure to take some photos as you go please. I can't wait to see them.

Wait a minute, where did you find those?

They are 30cm high waste bins, from b and q, so light, easy to mod and are 6" wide and 3.5" wide. Bullet bins I think they are called. Join 2 together maybe hide the join in that central section. Job done possibly!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk