Storm Commando Discussion

TX3637

These pics are a big help.I've seen these pics before,but never noticed the storm commando does not have the drop boxes.Now I have to also question if the commando wears the det pack?It doesn't look like it on the figure,but the 501 also says do not go by an action figure exclusively.

• 4 months later...

IN the WEG pics it almost looks like he's got thigh armor.

In the WWII sort of looking one, the arc and cut of the chest/shoulder straps as well as the cod/butt they appear to be TK as well. I would guess that the back is a TK back as well. Other than the helmet and having the ab pouches I would assume that the WWII storm commando is mostly TK pieces. Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

I am well into my storm commando build. I would have all the armor pieces cut out by now,but my dremel died on me,and,I have remodeling I have to get done. But I plan on picking it back up in a week or so. I am not going by the WW2 looking pics,but rather the bigger pic of the commando.The outlining the cammando components for a game? I just have a few of the smaller armor pieces to cut out and form, a little sewing to do, and attaching all the armor,and it'll be done.

• 1 month later...

Do you have any pics yet Dave?

No pics yet. I usually wait till it's all done before I take pics. But I will post them on here first before submitting to the legion,just to get y'alls opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The problem with that is that the action figures can't be used as an official reference, only as a guide. Hasbro has license to make slight altercations to get the best fit mold they can and still make their toys moveable therefore they aren't allowed as a reference due to the slight mods they sometimes make.

Although this drawing kinda looks like the reference they used.

stormCommandoArmor.jpg

When looking at all of the current references http://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/topic/30-storm-commando-reference-pics/ there appears to be some discrepancy there. Some have it, some don't...some.. can't tell. If you plan to try to do this costume the best bet would be to go with a version that has the clearest reference pics with both front and back detail. That doesn't guarantee the LMO's will approve it, but that will be one of the first things they look for. they'll also want all the given references at time of application to be as uniform as possible. Meaning...if you go with an armored leg version...don't show them one without it. hope that helps.

as for building this. No one has done one to my knowledge and I'd love to see one! approved or not it would be a kick ass costume! cool.gif

Alright I may give this guy a go. Now because weapons are not mandatory with the 501st does that mean I would just need holsters? Not saying I would build the blasters but just asking. Here is a list of Items needed, please help with feed back are things I missed

1. Gloss black scout armor

2. Ab pouches

3. Cod piece (original)

4. forearms (original)

5. Shin/knee armor (original)

6. hip holsters and belt rings

7. boot armor

8. flight suit (black)

9. looks like a neck seal, tk style, could be wrong though

Please add anything I missed

1. Gloss black scout armor

2. Ab pouches

3. Cod piece (original)

4. forearms (original)

5. Shin/knee armor (original)

6. hip holsters and belt rings

7. boot armor

8. flight suit (black)

9. looks like a neck seal, tk style, could be wrong though

Agree, neckseal does look TK style.

Most of the references have some form of thigh, though I think your best bet is something simplified:

Sc2.jpg

You can also see it here:

Sabotage_Operation.jpg

I also notice forearm armor in most of the images. I think you need to decide what references you are going to try and build off of.

• 4 months later...

I am actually using vader shins modified. I filled in the grooves and added to the knee plates. If y'all think the forearms are tk that makes my job easier. I've been struggling with making forearms from scratch. I made 1 piece front thighs from scratch and have attached them directly to the flight suit. Guess i'll have to break down and take some pics and post em, see what everybody thinks.

• 9 months later...

I got pulled in other directions before I could start my Storm Commando build, but now I've almost cleared my other projects and am starting some planning on this again. I was reading through the Snow Scout thread about all the hurdles for initial approval. Understanding that nobody could speak for the LMO and it'd be a gamble regardless, what are your thoughts on the source material and approvability of the Storm Commando? (I don't have any experience with 501st approvals, so I'm interested in your opinions)

My biggest concern is the inconsistency of the source material out there. I'd think it comes down to picking a source and sticking to it, but at that point there's very little references for some details. I'm leaning towards the WEG reference since it seems to be the most complete IMO, but it has no back view and several unique items.

Helmet: The visor seems in general alignment with other sources. The the ears look like the normal scout, but the other sources appear to be consistently squared off.

Forearms/Elbows: It looks like there isn't anything covering the elbows but the forearms have armor that isn't supported (that I can see) aside from the SW Databank image (does this count as reference since the official source is no longer available?).

Chest: Does not have the indentations from the typical scout and is more squared off on the outer edges, again only supported by the SW Databank image.

Cod: Unique to Storm Commando. Also visible in the SW Databank image.

Knees/Shins: Shape supported by the action figure (realize that this doesn't have much weight). Partially visible in the SW Databank image but not support the shape.

Boots: Plate on top of the foot, or perhaps the lower portion of a spat extending below the shin armor. Only supported by action figure.

501st approval certainly wouldn't be my only motivation for building this, but it'd be great to have the right expectations going in. I think there's be a solid front image to work from with partial support from other sources, though the only back view I can find from any source is the action figure...

Thanks!

Getting this one approved will probably be a bit hard because of the lack of consistency, but I'm not saying that it can't be done. I'd check out the GG bust and the WEG references. The lower body is going to be the main issue at this point.

• 1 year later...

Going to insert my $0.02 here, just because this thread has been brought back up.

I like to think there's already a bunch of approved Storm Commandos running around. They're so similar to the black scouts in a lot of ways...