New CRL Proposal: Imperial Army Trooper (SW:E) *Will go live on 7/23*

I would agree with having the option for either a left- or right-handed holster. I don't think any of the other non Face Character CRLs specify which side the holster needs to be on, and we do see them on both hips in the reference material.

Also, in the one panel of the Trooper with the cross-draw holster that was posted, that blaster looks suspiciously like a DL-18. The curve of the grip matches, and the fact that the receiver ends where the back of the grip ends leads me to believe that it at minimum is not an E-11 or a DH-17.

• Like 2

Wasn't my intent to raise the question of which side to wear the holster on, as the references show it can be worn on either side :D

It was more about wearing the holster and blaster backwards in the cross-draw style. Cool to see that everyone seems agreed that this would be acceptable.

Also Josh I agree with your assessment that the blaster in the reference I included above is a DL-18. As you pointed out the grip is far too curved and far too fat, and the stock/receiver far too short, for it to be an E-11 or DH-17. I also noticed that the bottom face of the grip also appears to be flat like a DL-18, while the same areas on the E-11 and DH-17 are significantly angled.

As well as this I took a closer look, and I believe the holster worn by the DL-18/cross-draw Trooper is the same one worn by the Dress Army Officers/Staff Officers, showing that at the very least they carry very similarly shaped blasters. With both of these points in mind it's very easy to picture a mix of both DL-18s and DH-17s among both Troopers and Officers.

For example:

Officer Holster

The front face is flat and covers the entire length of the blaster. The back face is shaped to match the blaster, and most likely features a cutout that means the handle of the blaster is not covered. The back face also appears to taper to a curve that meets the front face and covers the tip of the blaster, meaning that the barrel does not protrude from the holster. The top is flat and features a flap closure secured by a single snap. The outside face which faces the Officer's arm is also flat with the exception of the flap.

UHNUkPC.jpg

Trooper Holster

Same flat top with flap closure and same shaping in place on the back edge. Also shows that the back edge, at least on Troopers, does indeed have the cutout for the handle. The only difference appears to be the colour of the leather.

Trf7ylt.jpg

vGiZCQK.jpg

DL-18 Trooper

wKTNg9z.jpg

DH-17 Trooper

Dmx4wgm.jpg

Seems that Troopers wear either a black or green holster, on the left or right, facing forwards or backwards, and made of leather or nylon. Talk about spoilt for choice lol.

I think it would be great to have the DL-18 as an extra option for a sidearm. Also as far as I can tell, we now have about as much evidence for Troopers carrying DL-18s as we do for them carrying DH-17s, so why not more pew-pew? :thumbsup:

Someone please let me know if I seem like I'm starting to ramble ;):turned:

Can't say for sure as I haven't really paid this much attention to specific sidearms before, but I'm convinced the cross-draw Trooper is packing a DL-18. If we're right then this might be the first confirmed instance; has to start somewhere I suppose :D

I looked them up and like the DH-17 and E-11 they're manufactured by BlasTech, a major supplier for the Empire, so I think it's quite a reasonable explanation.

That's fair, I understand your reasoning. I still think that the points regarding the holsters might be good for some Level 2 requirements, similar to the olive green boots.

If so I might look at having one made to go with a DH-17 :D

That's fair, I understand your reasoning. I still think that the points regarding the holsters might be good for some Level 2 requirements, similar to the olive green boots.

If so I might look at having one made to go with a DH-17 :D

It would definitely look cool!

So nylon holster is accurate?

I'll make one asap :) let's see how it looks, and it's 100% accurate that the overall has 2 cargo pockets on the knees?

Enviado desde mi CLT-L29 mediante Tapatalk

We are suggesting that a nylon holster would be acceptable on the grounds that there are green holsters shown which match the color of the pouches. However, we can not state for sure that the LMOs will agree.

The coveralls do however have two pockets on the outside of the thighs above the knees. You can reference the approved IA Engineer CRL for the correct placement of those, as the jumpsuits are identical except for the color.

Here's my thoughts on stuffing pouches, as a ten year Legion member, past GML, past Det commander and former RL Infantry judge and with a lot of CRL experience;

When you put something into a CRL, there is a percentage of GMLs worldwide who SHALL read CRL as costume REQUIREMENT Library despite its description. Ive seen it happen dozens of times. If there is no precedence for it, then I could not in good judgement add it to the CRL even as an option. The requirement is simply stuffed to appear full, not what is required to go in them. I have found in the past that keeping things as simple, clear and to the point as possible regarding CRL descriptions, and leaving it to the wearers descretion AFTER approval, is far more prudent than trying to get something without a canon source included and past the Development team and LMOs.

• Like 1

Wow! I am seriously amazed at the research and review of these new costumes. I sadly have not had the time of being able to do some research myself to make one other than acquiring the patches for the arms. Keep up the amazing work everyone!

Please remember that nothing is set in stone until the CRLs are complete. This may save some from making that expensive purchase and finding out that it was never needed. I myself have quite a few costume parts in my house that may forever gather dust. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow! I am seriously amazed at the research and review of these new costumes. I sadly have not had the time of being able to do some research myself to make one other than acquiring the patches for the arms. Keep up the amazing work everyone!

Please remember that nothing is set in stone until the CRLs are complete. This may save some from making that expensive purchase and finding out that it was never needed. I myself have quite a few costume parts in my house that may forever gather dust. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isnt THAT the TRUTH!

When we were hashing out the Resistance Troopers and especially the Battlefront Commandos there were some bent feelings because people went out and ordered something, just to find out that the CRL team did not agree with their initial assessment that what they bought would fill the bill. And in each of those cases there either was a different real-world example that was used by the film costume team or something that just worked better overall.

additionally...the patches ARE a problem. They are no longer procurable with the initial run of 200 patches going quickly(100 uniforms, or more lie 85 uniforms and patch collectors getting the rest because three were left at the end) . That is one thing we do need, is a stable source for patches in future.

• Like 1

On the point of any item that would need to be olive green the suggested Montana Gold acrylic spray paint works fine on both cloth and nylon. I made my Army harness out of three different components ( I had to stitch two belts together and they were different shades) plus the nylon strapping I used for the harness is completely different. I painted it with the Montana Gold olive green Tarrif suggested in the Army Trooper Parts list, and now its all the same shade.

The same could be done to holsters or boots or any pouches that are shades off from the other components.

• Like 1

Here's my thoughts on stuffing pouches, as a ten year Legion member, past GML, past Det commander and former RL Infantry judge and with a lot of CRL experience;

When you put something into a CRL, there is a percentage of GMLs worldwide who SHALL read CRL as costume REQUIREMENT Library despite its description. Ive seen it happen dozens of times. If there is no precedence for it, then I could not in good judgement add it to the CRL even as an option. The requirement is simply stuffed to appear full, not what is required to go in them. I have found in the past that keeping things as simple, clear and to the point as possible regarding CRL descriptions, and leaving it to the wearers descretion AFTER approval, is far more prudent than trying to get something without a canon source included and past the Development team and LMOs.

I don't believe there was any talk about added something unseen to the CRL. Just asking if they were allowed to put the detonators in the pouches.

My stance on it, is that I really don't care what goes in the pouches, as long as the pouches can fully close so they don't change the look as defined in the CRL.

-iz

• Like 1

On the topic of painting items, I can attest to the usefulness of the Montana Gold olive green.

Just a few minutes ago I sprayed the Commuter ankle boots (credit to Ronan) using the Montana Gold. Thought I'd post here to see what people think, as I know quite a few people might not have seen my build thread. :D

cf937d7c01c0463c247415f4e2eda25f.jpg

d5056dc5cfc83d3af7dcff57a2fe270d.jpg3a28139be33f1da1bad223b9b0ac8ab7.jpg224b158abb63b3671a0f3136317f0697.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On the topic of painting items, I can attest to the usefulness of the Montana Gold olive green.

Just a few minutes ago I sprayed the Commuter ankle boots that Ronan found using the Montana Gold. Thought I'd post here to see what people think, as I know quite a few people might not have seen my build thread. :Dcf937d7c01c0463c247415f4e2eda25f.jpgd5056dc5cfc83d3af7dcff57a2fe270d.jpg3a28139be33f1da1bad223b9b0ac8ab7.jpg224b158abb63b3671a0f3136317f0697.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Love them!!! What make are those? I'm looking for boots like that ones :)

Love them!!! What make are those? I'm looking for boots like that ones :)

They are Hunters Bay Commuter Boots. Never sprayed anything before, but I think they turned out alright :D

Ronan originally found the boots and I grabbed a pair on eBay.

Guys, what are your thoughts on these boots? 392ea97d9974896a0c165cbb3796dbbb.jpg

Enviado desde mi CLT-L29 mediante Tapatalk

The soft looking parts in the back give me concerns. The front looks okay, but the soles look a bit thick. If it were me, I'd keep looking. The hunters bay boots right now seem to be the best match and they're on eBay.

ive been searching Ebay and Im not coming up with a "hunter bay commuter boot"

Using that search term Im getting otter box phone covers and TV screens!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=hunters+bay+commuter+boot&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=hunter+bay+commuter+boot&LH_TitleDesc=0

Hmmmm close....

I have to wonder about getting a pair of cheap boots and cutting them down to size then adding the top strip arounf the boot. I really need zippers and the commuter style boot would be perfect if I can find it in my size

The Commuter boots are fantastic but unfortunately they appear to be quite hard to find. eBay/Amazon/similar sites draw blanks at the minute sadly.

It seems I was exceptionally lucky to find a pair in my size.

On the topic of holsters, I'm talking with Burkbench about having a holster made that matches the images I posted above to fit a DH-17, which I should be ordering soon.

I'm thinking that I should have the holster made in black leather then spray it with the Montana Gold so that it matches the boots and other components rather than try to source a matching green leather, which I imagine would be very difficult.

Thoughts/issues with this idea?

• Like 1