LoneRanger's Mudtrooper build/interactive thread

Hello all! I said I was going to do this eventually, so here goes. I'm starting work on a Mudtrooper following the proposed CRL, and since I've planned for changes, most of the parts I'm using will be 3D printed. Thus is a change is made, I can simply print an updated version.

Now what's interactive about this? I'll be doing up the pieces based on YOUR feedback! Like how something looks? Let me know! Don't like how something looks? Tell me what you'd like to see changed! Aside that, as I said, I'll be following the proposed CRL as closely as I can unless something merits changing. So here's a list of what I've currently got:

Armor: (Dan Laws and 850 Armor Works)

Helmet: (Dan Laws)

Goggles: (Currently being 3D printed)

Telemetry unit:

Respirator: X

Pants:

Tunic:

Gloves: (Highlander spec ops gloves)

Boots: (Replica jackboots)

Military scarf:

Parka: (On order, waiting for delivery. Authentic Russian surplus Palatka)

Upper belt: (Stealing from my AT-ST driver outfit)

Lower belt: ✓ (making own)

Ammo pouch: (M49 pouch)

So check here often, I'll be posting a picture soon of my printed telemetry unit.... when my camera decides to work.

Update: Found a tunic that will work, after being modified. I'm also going to make my own belt, and StormyStormtrooper here is helping me with the boxes, so big shoutout to StormyStormtrooper! ?

Here's the tunic. It's a Belgian field jacket

43d677f05b.png

With the proper modifications, I feel this jacket will be suitable. When I have it in hand, I'll take pictures before and after the modifications are made.

The pants and scarf arrived today, both look fantastic.

As well, the armor maker has allowed me to share his identity. It is Dan Laws. I've also sourced a few parts from 850 Armor Works.

If anybody desires links to any of the components I'm getting, let me know and I'll gladly share some links with you! ? As well, prepare for a ton of 'improvisations'. I'm aiming to help out the people who can't afford to buy a custom tunic or custom pants, or the exact paints used. So when this build actually gets fully going, expect lots of pictures.

Sorry for the lack of updates otherwise, I'm waiting for my armor to arrive, along with the tunic and palatka.

Congrats on getting your build underway. Noticed you’re currently missing a belt box so hope it hasn’t been forgotten [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Congrats on getting your build underway. Noticed you’re currently missing a belt box so hope it hasn’t been forgotten emoji1303.png

Nope, not forgotten! The CRL states it's simply a standard dropbox, so I have one of those on order too.

• Like 1
Nope, not forgotten! The CRL states it's simply a standard dropbox, so I have one of those on order too.

The longbox, yes?

The longbox, yes. Oddly the CRL research thread picture also only has five boxes.
a0f923d069.png&key=afa7a2dfd7493f761654acd27df0e4275a7dd95aa05107cf0a61933db28d5751
Luckily in this picture here, it can clearly be seen.
130996c213.png&key=9e5b76ed0164f4cacb3a86e43fd865051890f9b49c149d65521fdfc95c7a6fe9

The CRL you’re referencing is old and does not reflect the current CRL under review. There will be all new reference pics and more accurate descriptions and wording.

17 minutes ago, JAFO said:

The CRL you’re referencing is old and does not reflect the current CRL under review. There will be all new reference pics and more accurate descriptions and wording.

I figured as such. I'm not following just the old CRL, I've been using images from various sources as well. Take the cardboard cutout too.

46f9204948.png

Though that's the beauty of it, I'm learning from this! And if things change, then I can easily adapt to what the new references are as well. ?

Super curious if the lower belt will end up being a required or an optional accessory though. Some of the troopers in the visual guide clearly don't have one..

So I finished up the biceps today, following the good ol' TK method.

58089306a9.png

I joined the two halves together with an interior strip of spare ABS as a 'reinforcement'.

0a2d1aabb3.png

Then using the most wonderful magnets the world has to offer, I let the E6000 cement the two halves together over the inner strip.

9c8fe955ac.png

Though sometimes, when you can't find where you put the rest of your magnets, you have to use THE CLAMPS!

35df978331.png

After all the glue had dried, I then attached the cover strips to both sides. By this point, I'd found the rest of my magnets. Also, wipe off any excess glue. ?

14c8c11f0d.png

And there you have it! Two beauuuutifully assembled Mudtrooper biceps. They'll be ready for a base coat of black paint by tomorrow.

• Like 1
The palatka arrived! Does anybody know how in the world I tie it together properly? The instructions are in Russian.... I think they're the instructions.

For the MT they appear to tie the Plash yo the should straps. In terms of finished look you’re aiming for something like this...30cfbd618aec0d4e0dda7251e983ceca.jpg

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

For the MT they appear to tie the Plash yo the should straps. In terms of finished look you’re aiming for something like this...30cfbd618aec0d4e0dda7251e983ceca.jpg

That helps a ton, thanks! I'm also delighted that my Palatka came with the leather grommets.

I finally got the armor painted. I started with a basic coat of black primer, and then went over it all with an olive drab color. I quite like how the end result came out!

841c99989e.png

e7eda6337f.jpg

c82f2958d8.png

a52323b3ee.jpg

I'm still waiting for my tunic, back plate, shins, and shoulder/boot straps, along with the goggles and respirator. But we're getting close here!

On another note, I'm not sure if any of you heard about Andrew McClary, AKA PasticArmsDealer. It's detailed out in this thread here, along with a coin/patch run to benefit him.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/19816-patchcoin-run-to-benefit-andrew-mcclary/

Could we show some support for our fellow TX trooper?

Great to see your build coming along.

Noticed that your medic bicep has three red stripes. Production reference so far has shown three gold or heavily weathered yellow stripes.

I did write this as part of my CRL updates and wait to see if it will be amended.

Just wanted you to know that a small repaint could be imminent.

12 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Great to see your build coming along.

Noticed that your medic bicep has three red stripes. Production reference so far has shown three gold or heavily weathered yellow stripes.

I did write this as part of my CRL updates and wait to see if it will be amended.

Just wanted you to know that a small repaint could be imminent.

Gold? Alright! I was using this reference picture here.

Mud-Ent 1.jpg

They looked red here, but now I see this picture here:

Mud - Book Medic.jpg

D'oh. I'll repaint them when I have a free moment. ?

[mention=5576]JAFO[/mention] Alright, repainted them to the best gold/yellow color I could find at my local shop.

b27ba93fa1.png&key=3a6998d7124a29898875dc7d87ef8f04d834a1c72c12efb3775dfd9c58e9bff8\

Thoughts? Too yellow? I do still have to weather them.

Once weathered I’m sure they’ll look fine [emoji1303]

• Like 1