New CRL Development - Val Mudtrooper (Complete)

i put the two together as a side by side .  Pretty close, and of course its a local camera vs a professional photo shoot under professional lights then modified and saved to web them view on our monitors....ad naseum.

5nZg9sX.jpg

• Like 1

Ok with the red comparison out there, and knowing that we need to add the bit about the pistol charge being silver ( I can quickly add that)  here is the next section.  I do not believe there will be many modifications to this text. 

TUNIC / JACKET

·         A long-sleeved, dark charcoal grey, jacket that falls between upper and mid-thigh.

·         It is of a darker shade compared to the regular Mudtrooper jacket

·         Has a high mandarin style collar with an open space in front.

·         Has two panels on either side of the front, extending to the bottom of the jacket.

·         Has a stitched "cuff" on the sleeve that extends to around the middle of the forearm. Look may be created with top stitching.

·         If side pockets are present, they are built into the jacket, with no covering flaps present.

·         No outer stitched pockets are acceptable unless they are fully covered by the armor.

·         Shall be moderately to heavily weathered.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

·         Jacket is made of heavy weight bull denim Twill material.

·         There is an imperial cog patch sewn on each shoulder and are made of an embossed 3D vinyl material.

·         There are code cylinder pockets on both outside panels of the jacket from about half way between the top and bottom of the seam where the arm connects to the body.

• 2 weeks later...

Just chiming in to say I'm really excited for this CRL, I've built this one as well as this Val's classic costume and am thrilled Val is finally being accepted by the 501st!

Here's another reference posted to SW's instagram on Thandie's birthday, it really helped me work out the knots on the blaster lanyard: 

Great work everyone and I can't wait for the CRL!

• Thanks 1

@Blackwatch I think we are set on the tunic amigo!

@jen0farc Thanks for that pic.  Will add it to references!  You have finished a build?  Cross-check it w/ what we have drafted (though some changes may still occur).  Great having you here!!!

EDIT: Jen...can you screencap that IG post (I don't use IG) and post it here so I can grab it and add it?

14 minutes ago, Raider said:

@jen0farc Thanks for that pic.  Will add it to references!  You have finished a build?  Cross-check it w/ what we have drafted (though some changes may still occur).  Great having you here!!!

EDIT: Jen...can you screencap that IG post (I don't use IG) and post it here so I can grab it and add it?

You bet!  Here the screen cap is attached.

And yep I'm following along as the CRL takes shape and making note of some needed adjustments so I can hopefully be ready not long after it goes live.  (I did mine for a con back before the mudtrooper CRL was done so I have lots of little fixes to make anyway.)

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 9.36.34 PM.png

• Thanks 1

good morning everyone! first let me apologize for ghosting.  I had to finish four costumes for delivery last week before I leave for a new job.  

We are settled on the Tunic.  I wan to move onto the armor, and put the chest and back together at the same time for review and commentary:

For discussion and review: 

Val chest..jpg

CHEST ARMOR

·         Chest Armor matches visual references.

·         Accurate shape/design to front of chest.

·         There is an indented area around the outer edge of the center flat section.

·         Buckles attache  attach to upper chest plate.

·         Shoulder straps are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

·         To the lower left side of the center flat panel is a recessed area angled inward from bottom to top with a raised rectangle greeblie and a recessed horizontal elongated oval.

·         Left of the recessed area is a raised square that extends from the center to the curved side of the armor.

·         On the top left side of the raised area is a raised oblong detail that protrudes outwards.

·         Chest and straps shall be painted field grey and be moderately weathered.

Val back..jpg

BACK ARMOR

·         Back Plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate.

·         Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

·         Black foam extends from the arm openings.

·         2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie.

·         Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside.

·         The walls and floor the recesses shall be matte olive green.

·         Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside.

·         Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. The floor of the cut out and the walls inside match the matte field grey color of the armor.

·         Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.

·         There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recess.

·         There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.

·         There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.

·         Shoulder straps are matte field grey with moderate weathering and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

·         Back plate is painted matte field grey with moderate weathering.

·         Black fabric or leather loop drop down from the bottom of the back plate through which belts must pass through.

@Blackwatch I have no issues w/ the chest/back.  Just need to make sure that whatever is done to the standard Mudtrooper (such as coloring) that applies carries over here as well.

We should be able to clear the other armor pieces as well (shoulders, biceps) and gloves and move straight to the belt.

Val's Belt

the one thing that does bug me is the cleanliness of the rope while everything else if dirty. 

Val belt..jpgval cartridges.jpgval grenades..jpg

BELT

·         The belt is constructed from a non-textured leather or a leather-like material.

·         Approximately 2" (50 mm) in width, up to 3" (76mm ) is acceptable.

·         There are no loops on the belt.

·         A single large snap or rivet is visible approximately 1" (25 mm) from the buckle.

·         The belt may be worn with the snap to the right or left of the wearer.

·         The buckle is a standard officer buckle painted with matte olive green paint and is moderately weathered.

·         Buckle is adorned with an Imperial Code Disk at the center.

·         Please refer to the Imperial Buckle reference page for information on accurate and inaccurate style buckles.

·         Suspended from the belt on the right side, via 1” (25mm) leather loops with snaps, are two grenades as shown.

·         On the left side of the belt are 3 silver-colored EC-17 cartridges, suspended via leather holder as shown

·         Also on the left are the two ends of a 3/8" (10mm) red climbing rope, tied in a knot as shown.  Middle section of the rope is looped at the back

19 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Val's Belt

the one thing that does bug me is the cleanliness of the rope while everything else if dirty. 

@jimmiroquai did some weathering to it...looks better...can see that image on page 1.

@Blackwatch Belt description looks good to me.

My bad...we accidentally skipped over the EC-17.  That can be next and then boots.  I've looked at pants...doesn't seem to be anything different.

good deal on the weathering.  

I feel that since the EC17 is a weapon, it belongs at the bottom, not in line with the rest of the Uniform. While it is appropriate, there are Garrisons where weapons are a no-go. 

I would also remove the jackboot term since jacks tend to be short.  In Darrens post he suggested removing the term regarding soviet replica boots. 

Val pistol..jpg

EC-17 BLASTER

·         A modified EC-17 is worn around the neck, over the armor

·         EC-17 is modified with a conical muzzle, with a chrome finish. The cartridge and top spine / ridge are also  bright silver or  chrome finish.   The rest of the pistol is black

·         It hangs around the neck via 1/4" (6mm ) thick red paracord.  Tied around the back end of the pistol and attached to the front via a D-ring and latch from the Yugo back pack.

Val boots..jpg

BOOTS

·         Jackboot or kersey boot style, knee high smooth black leather or leather like material.

·         Free of laces, decorative stitching, buckles on the instep or any other embellishments.

·         Zippers on the inside of the boot are acceptable, so long as they are concealed.

·         Boots shall be tall enough to fit both shin straps.

·         Boots shall be heavily weathered.

·         Boots should form fit to the calf and not be loose.

·         Boots do not have a zipper.

·         Boots are made of leather.

·         Exact replicas of Soviet Officer Boots.

3 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

EC-17 is modified with a conical muzzle, with a chrome finish. The charging knob is also chrome finish.   The rest of the pistol is black

I'd change "charging knob" to cartridge or canister,  since its one of the cartridges loaded as described with the belt. On top the spine/ridge is also part silver. I've been doing some digging into this R1/Solo variant since I'm working on a model for it, but details are scarce. These are pretty much the best shots available - I still need to do a screengrab pass on the movie, but that probably wont get much more detail. I also included the patrol trooper shot since its the same one just all black. It is noticeably larger than the classic RotJ scout blaster particularly in the grip area and muzzle, but the patrol trooper CRL didn't mention the size either - currently nobody is making this variant and there are no models available, so most people would need to stick to the classic version with modifications to the color and muzzle.

ruSXjJo.jpg

@Blackwatch You are right.  The EC-17 will have to be optional as it is a blaster.

Boot adjustments sound good.

Additional note, I contacted @jimmiroquai and requested that he add the foam “wings” to the back plate as we have it as a Level 1 requirement at the moment.

@areilly interestingly as I was flipping through FB today I saw a vendor offering 3d printed scout blasters and then offering to scale them up for R1/Solo versions

4 hours ago, jimmiroquai said:

Thanks for all the work on this!  Here are the updated pics:

HZNFy2.jpg
n9NVbi.jpg
iazZvg.jpg
NoKmB5.jpg
6X6br0.jpg
ml1aEt.jpg
ue0VO3.jpg
dYjv7b.jpg
5QNHlN.jpg

Thanks Jim!!!  I see you added the foam in the back plate as well.  Great!

Would you be able to reshoot the other armor pieces (chest, shoulders, biceps) in the same lighting effect by chance so they match the backplate?  Will you be editing these to white backgrounds or shall I find someone to do that?

Lastly, with all CRLs now, we are building CRL galleries with additional shots of items.  Most of the items I can pull from the Mudtrooper CRL gallery pics that are being processed by @rickyboyblue but there are a few I would like from you please.  Would it be possible to get the following shots (edited if you are doing it):

• -Helmet all 4 sides (no goggles)
  • -Other side of the blaster
  • -Up close shot of cartridges by themselves
  • -Up close shot of grenades by themselves

I know you did those last 2...but maybe reshoot w/ same lighting and editing as the rest of the pictures.

wow....this is coming together and Im so happy to see those photos~~~!

made the change to the blaster as advised, and we can look forward to this being a published up to date CRL soooooon!

OK, made final edits to the proposal, and notwithstanding a line saying "The EC-17 is approximately XX% larger than the typical ROTJ Scout EC-17".

I have taken the previous discussion as well as the suggestions for edit to the Mudtrooper CRL into account writing this. 

Please review:

Val Mudtrooper Final Proposal:

Prefix: TX

Detachment: Spec Ops

Context: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Description:
We first encounter Val in the trenches of Mimban.  Wearing the armor of the 224th Imperial Armored Division, or more commonly called “Mudtroopers."  She fought alongside Han Solo, with Captain Beckett, Rio, and Korso, but there is more to this unit than meets the eye.

HELMET

·         An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.

·         A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned with the rim.

·         The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is black.

·         The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.

·         A rubber trim, or the illusion of a rubber trim covers the edge of the helmet rim with the join made at the rear center of the helmet.

·         Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt. These may be weathered.

·         The helmet is to be painted in matte field grey to match the armor. The helmet paint finish may be slightly textured, and is moderately weathered.

·         Helmet has a black chin cup with tan webbing strap. Tan webbing should be lightly weathered.?

·        The helmet has a black/dark gray polystyrene inner liner consistent with that of a skate or bike helmet.

·        Disks do not feature a notch or groove details.

HAIR

·         Seen underneath the helmet is dark, reddish brown curly hair in the Afro style.

·         Wigs are acceptable.

GOGGLES

·         Goggles shall have an aged chrome frame with detail painting, and weathering to match reference image. The knurled nose bridge adjuster is brass in appearance.

·         Goggles shall have a trim around metallic frame. Trim shall be rubber or foam.

·         Goggles have dark angled lens featuring two flat panels on each side.

·         Goggle Strap features two sizes of elastic - The thinner elastic strap attaches directly to the goggles and is sewn to the larger strap, which forms the main goggle strap.

·         The goggle strap features a number of buckles:

·         There are metallic buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 1" (25mm) elastic is threaded.

·         A large buckle greeblie on the left hand side through which the 1.5" (40mm) elastic is threaded. This greeblie features a beige square.

·         Two black plastic tri-glides on the right rear through which the 1.5" (40mm) elastic is threaded.

·         Goggles may be worn over the eyes or on the brim of the helmet

·         Serrated 1" (25 mm) slide buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 1" (25mm) elastic is threaded.

·         Goggle straps are approximately 1" ( 25mm) and 1.5" ( 40mm).

SCARF

·         A apple-red color scarf is worn loosely around the neck.  Smooth in texture, matte surface.

PONCHO

·         Plash Palatka Style Poncho.

·         Poncho is dyed or painted black.

·         Tied or otherwise attached under the chest armor and worn to cover the back plate.

·         Poncho shall be heavily weathered.

·         Ring Grommets shall be leather to match reference photo or metal grommets shall be covered with leather to mimic leather grommets.

TUNIC / JACKET

·         A long-sleeved, dark charcoal grey, jacket that falls between upper and mid-thigh.

·         It is of a darker shade compared to the regular Mudtrooper jacket

·         Has a high mandarin style collar with an open space in front.

·         Has two panels on either side of the front, extending to the bottom of the jacket.

·         Has a stitched "cuff" on the sleeve that extends to around the middle of the forearm. Look may be created with top stitching.

·         If side pockets are present, they are built into the jacket, with no covering flaps present.

·         No outer stitched pockets are acceptable unless they are fully covered by the armor.

·         Shall be moderately to heavily weathered.

·         Jacket is made of heavy weight bull denim Twill material.

·         There is an imperial cog patch sewn on each shoulder and are made of an embossed 3D vinyl material.

·         There are code cylinder pockets on both outside panels of the jacket from about half way between the top and bottom of the seam where the arm connects to the body.

CHEST ARMOR

·         Chest Armor matches visual references.

·         Accurate shape/design to front of chest.

·         There is an indented area around the outer edge of the center flat section.

·         Buckles attach to upper chest plate.

·         Shoulder straps are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

·         To the lower left side of the center flat panel is a recessed area angled inward from bottom to top with a raised rectangle greeblie and a recessed horizontal elongated oval.

·         Left of the recessed area is a raised square that extends from the center to the curved side of the armor.

·         On the top left side of the raised area is a raised oblong detail that protrudes outwards.

·         Chest and straps shall be painted matte field grey and be moderately weathered.

BACK ARMOR

·         Back Plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate.

·         Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

·         Black foam extends from the arm openings.

·         2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie.

·         Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside.

·         The walls and floor the recesses shall be matte field grey.

·         Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside.

·         Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. The floor of the cut out and the walls inside match the matte field grey color of the armor.

·         Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.

·         There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recess.

·         There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.

·         There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.

·         Shoulder straps are matte field grey with moderate weathering and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

·         Back plate is painted matte field grey with moderate weathering.??

·         Black fabric or leather loop drop down from the bottom of the back plate through which belts must pass through.

SHOULDER ARMOR

·         Each shoulder bell is a mirror image of the other.

·         The detailing of each shoulder bell is asymmetrical.

·         Shoulders should have a longer flat edge that covers top of bicep with a shorter flat edge that connects to chest armor

·         Shallow grooves are present in a pattern matching the photo.

·         Shoulders are painted matte field grey with moderate weathering.

BICEPS

·         Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip layer on top.

·         Left bicep is matte field grey with moderate weathering.

·         Right bicep armor is painted red with three yellow squares on the cover strip, with moderate weathering.

·        Each bicep may feature a slanted fishook detail that is inset into the bicep top facing outward.

·         Right bicep color is similar to Toyota Red 3E5.

·         Yellow color is similar to  Montana Yellow Cab.

GLOVES

·         Black gloves with black leather or leather-like material on the palm, thumb, and forefinger

·         The black oval detail is aligned with the index finger of each hand.

·         Gloves extend underneath the forearm armor.

EC-17 BLASTER

·         A modified EC-17 is worn around the neck, over the armor

·         EC-17 is modified with a conical muzzle and features a silver or chrome finish on the spine ridge and cartridge at the rear.  The rest of the pistol is black

·         It hangs around the neck via 1/4" (6mm ) thick red paracord.  Tied around the back end of the pistol and attached to the front via a D-ring and latch from the Yugo back pack.

BELT

·         The belt is constructed from a non-textured leather or a leather-like material.

·         Approximately 2" (50 mm) in width, up to 3" (76mm ) is acceptable.

·         There are no loops on the belt.

·         A single large snap or rivet is visible approximately 1" (25 mm) from the buckle.

·         The belt may be worn with the snap to the right or left of the wearer.

·         The buckle is a standard officer buckle painted with matte field grey paint and is moderately weathered.

·         Buckle is adorned with an Imperial Code Disk at the center.

·         Please refer to the Imperial Buckle reference page for information on accurate and inaccurate style buckles.

·         Suspended from the belt on the right side, via 1” (25mm) leather loops with snaps, are two grenades as shown.

·         On the left side of the belt are 3 silver-colored EC-17 cartridges, suspended via leather holder as shown

·         Also on the left are the two ends of a 3/8" (10mm) red climbing rope, tied in a knot as shown.  Middle section of the rope is looped at the back

PANTS

·         Black pants with double reinforced thighs.

·         They do not have visible pockets or other adornment on the legs.

·         Shall be moderately to heavily weathered.

·         Pants are made using heavy cotton

BOOTS

·         Jackboot or kersey boot style, knee high smooth black leather or leather like material.

·         Free of laces, decorative stitching, buckles on the instep or any other embellishments.

·         Zippers on the inside of the boot are acceptable, so long as they are concealed.

·         Boots shall be tall enough to fit both shin straps.

·         Boots shall be heavily weathered.

·         Boots should form fit to the calf and not be loose.

·         Boots do not have a zipper.

·         Boots are made of leather.

3 hours ago, Raider said:

text wise i believe we are set EXCEPT i wanted to ask @areilly do you know the %age larger the ec-17 is than the OT ec-17s?

I don't have any accurate numbers yet. I just got an exact reference for the singlepoint scope, which appears to be the same with both (apart from the lack of windage knob covers seen on the OT), so I'll be using that to extrapolate the measurements. It's not a straight scaling, it's more of a redesign since the proportions have changed. Now that I have the scope, I'll try to do some measurements in the next day or two so we can get a rough estimate.

@Blackwatch Reviewed and made some minor typo edits.

Let's leave the size of the EC-17 for a later time when we have a more solid idea of the proportions.  We can update that in as a Level 2 requirement even post-publishing.

At this point, we simply wait for photos from @jimmiroquai and review that common parts w/ the Mudtrooper are aligned (w/ the Mudtrooper update) where applicable.  Thanks everyone!!!

49 minutes ago, Raider said:

Let's leave the size of the EC-17 for a later time when we have a more solid idea of the proportions.  We can update that in as a Level 2 requirement even post-publishing.

I'm making progress, but it will likely take a few weeks. When I do have results I'll post them for review.

• 2 months later...

LMOs determined that this is a disguise costume and as such will not be permitted as a stand-alone CRL named "Mudtrooper Val."  However, we are permitted to add the trooper type as a Mudtrooper tabbed version.  This will be published as "Version 4."  Any unique parts to this build will be added to the main CRL and specified as being allowed for this version only.  Requesting LMO unlock of CRL for publishing and addition.  Thanks for everyone's work on this.

• Like 1