New CRL Development - Val Mudtrooper (Complete)

1 val front.jpg3 val back.jpg2 val side.jpg4 val right.jpg

Model: 80678

Photo by: Jim Tripon

Prefix: TX

Detachment: Spec Ops

Context: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Description:
We first encounter Val in the trenches of Mimban.  Wearing the armor of the 224th Imperial Armored Division, or more commonly called “Mudtroopers."  She fought alongside Han Solo, with Captain Beckett, Rio, and Korso, but there is more to this unit than meets the eye.

Val helmet front..jpgVal helmet side..jpgVal helmet back..jpg

HELMET

·         An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.

·         A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned with the rim.

·         The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is black.

·         The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.

·         A rubber trim, or the illusion of a rubber trim covers the edge of the helmet rim with the join made at the rear center of the helmet.

·         Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt. These may be weathered.

·         The helmet is to be painted in matte field grey to match the armor. The helmet paint finish may be slightly textured, and is moderately weathered.

·         Helmet has a black chin cup with tan webbing strap. Tan webbing should be lightly weathered.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

·         The helmet has a black/dark gray polystyrene inner liner consistent with that of a skate or          bike helmet.

·        Disks do not feature a notch or groove details.

HAIR

·         Seen underneath the helmet is dark, reddish brown curly hair in the Afro style

·         Wigs are acceptable

GOGGLES

·         Goggles shall have an aged chrome frame with detail painting, and weathering to match reference image. The knurled nose bridge adjuster is brass in appearance.

·         Goggles shall have a trim around metallic frame. Trim shall be rubber or foam.

·         Goggles have dark angled lens featuring two flat panels on each side.

·         Goggle Strap features two sizes of elastic - The thinner elastic strap attaches directly to the goggles and is sewn to the larger strap, which forms the main goggle strap.

·         The goggle strap features a number of buckles:

·         There are metallic buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 1" (25mm) elastic is threaded.

·         A large buckle greeblie on the lefthand side through which the 1.5" (40mm) elastic is threaded. This greeblie features a beige square.

·         Two black plastic tri-glides on the right rear through which the 1.5" (40mm) elastic is threaded.

·         Goggles may be worn over the eyes or on the brim of the helmet

·         Serrated 1" (25 mm) slide buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 1" (25mm) elastic is threaded.

·         Goggle straps are approximately 1" ( 25mm) and 1.5" ( 40mm).

Val scarf..jpg

SCARF

·         A apple- red color scarf is worn loosely around the neck.  Smooth in texture, matte surface.

val plash palatka..jpg

PONCHO

·         Plash Palatka Style Poncho.

·         Poncho is dyed or painted black.

·         Tied or otherwise attached under the chest armor and worn to cover the back plate.

·         Poncho shall be heavily weathered.

·         Ring Grommets shall be leather to match reference photo or metal grommets shall be covered with leather to mimic leather grommets.

Val tunic..jpg

TUNIC / JACKET

·         A long-sleeved, dark charcoal grey, jacket that falls between upper and mid-thigh.

·         It is of a darker shade compared to the regular Mudtrooper jacket

·         Has a high mandarin style collar with an open space in front.

·         Has two panels on either side of the front, extending to the bottom of the jacket.

·         Has a stitched "cuff" on the sleeve that extends to around the middle of the forearm. Look may be created with top stitching.

·         If side pockets are present, they are built into the jacket, with no covering flaps present.

·         No outer stitched pockets are acceptable unless they are fully covered by the armor.

·         Shall be moderately to heavily weathered.

·         Jacket is made of heavy weight bull denim Twill material.

·         There is an imperial cog patch sewn on each shoulder and are made of an embossed 3D vinyl material.

·         There are code cylinder pockets on both outside panels of the jacket from about half way between the top and bottom of the seam where the arm connects to the body.

Val chest..jpg

CHEST ARMOR

·         Chest Armor matches visual references.

·         Accurate shape/design to front of chest.

·         There is an indented area around the outer edge of the center flat section.

·         Buckles attache to upper chest plate.

·         Shoulder straps are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

·         To the lower left side of the center flat panel is a recessed area angled inward from bottom to top with a raised rectangle greeblie and a recessed horizontal elongated oval.

·         Left of the recessed area is a raised square that extends from the center to the curved side of the armor.

·         On the top left side of the raised area is a raised oblong detail that protrudes outwards.

·         Chest and straps shall be painted field grey and be moderately weathered.

Val back..jpg

BACK ARMOR

·         Back Plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate.

·         Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

·         Black foam extends from the arm openings.

·         2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie.

·         Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside.

·         The walls and floor the recesses shall be matte olive green.

·         Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside.

·         Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. The floor of the cut out and the walls inside match the matte field grey color of the armor.

·         Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.

·         There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recess.

·         There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.

·         There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.

·         Shoulder straps are matte field grey with moderate weathering and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

·         Back plate is painted matte field grey with moderate weathering.

·         Black fabric or leather loop drop down from the bottom of the back plate through which belts must pass through.

val shoulder bells..jpg

SHOULDER ARMOR

·         Each shoulder bell is a mirror image of the other.

·         The detailing of each shoulder bell is asymmetrical.

·         Shoulders should have a longer flat edge that covers top of bicep with a shorter flat edge that connects to chest armor

·         Shallow grooves are present in a pattern matching the photo.

·         Shoulders are painted matte field grey with moderate weathering.

·      

val biceps..jpg

BICEPS

·         Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip layer on top.

·         Left bicep is matte field grey with moderate weathering.

·         Right bicep armor is painted red with three yellow squares on the cover strip, with moderate weathering.

·        Each bicep may feature a slanted fishook detail that is inset into the bicep top facing outward.

·         Right bicep color is similar to Toyota Red 3E5

·         Yellow color is Montana Yellow Cab.

Val gloves..jpg

GLOVES

·         Black gloves with black leather or leather-like material on the palm, thumb, and forefinger

·         The black oval detail is aligned with the index finger of each hand.

·         Gloves extend underneath the forearm armor.

Val pistol..jpg

EC-17 BLASTER

·         A modified EC-17 is worn around the neck, over the armor

·         EC-17 is modified with a conical muzzle, with a chrome finish.  The rest of the pistol is black

·         It hangs around the neck via 1/4" (6mm ) thick red paracord.  Tied around the back end of the pistol and attached to the front via a D-ring and latch from the Yugo back pack.

Val belt..jpgval cartridges.jpgval grenades..jpg

BELT

·         The belt is constructed from a non-textured leather or a leather-like material.

·         Approximately 2" (50 mm) in width, up to 3" (76mm ) is acceptable.

·         There are no loops on the belt.

·         A single large snap or rivet is visible approximately 1" (25 mm) from the buckle.

·         The belt may be worn with the snap to the right or left of the wearer.

·         The buckle is a standard officer buckle painted with matte olive green paint and is moderately weathered.

·         Buckle is adorned with an Imperial Code Disk at the center.

·         Please refer to the Imperial Buckle reference page for information on accurate and inaccurate style buckles.

·         Suspended from the belt on the right side, via 1” (25mm) leather loops with snaps, are two grenades as shown.

·         On the left side of the belt are 3 silver-colored EC-17 cartridges, suspended via leather holder as shown

·         Also on the left are the two ends of a 3/8" (10mm) red climbing rope, tied in a knot as shown.  Middle section of the rope is looped at the back

Val pants..jpg

PANTS

·         Black pants with double reinforced thighs.

·         They do not have visible pockets or other adornment on the legs.

·         Shall be moderately to heavily weathered.

·         Pants are made using heavy cotton

Val boots..jpg

BOOTS

·         Jackboot or kersey boot style, knee high smooth black leather or leather like material.

·         Free of laces, decorative stitching, buckles on the instep or any other embellishments.

·         Zippers on the inside of the boot are acceptable, so long as they are concealed.

·         Boots shall be tall enough to fit both shin straps.

·         Boots shall be heavily weathered.

·         Boots should form fit to the calf and not be loose.

·         Boots do not have a zipper.

·         Boots are made of leather.

·         Exact replicas of Soviet Officer Boots.

With the CRL live, I found it helpful (and more structured) to review the items piece by piece.  I feel if we do this from the start, we can progress through it more efficiently.  It also helps that we have the generic Mudtrooper completed as a starting point.  Would everyone be ok with this approach?

I would remove the following:

The telemetry unit may feature a tied length of elastic bungee cord, approx. 4-5mm in diameter, looped around the outer upper section.

Not applicable to Val.

I would also change reference of armour colour to Field Grey or Olive Green, or something similar. Pantone 350U only looks like the colour seen in all reference material once layered with Grey 433U, otherwise it is a bright green that looks nothing like a final MT.

• Like 1

Thats a good point Darren.  All of these costumes are very heavily weathered.  And while Pantones are supposed to match, in practice they do not when you get paint at a hardware store, etc.  and lighting changes everything. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, JAFO said:

I would remove the following:

The telemetry unit may feature a tied length of elastic bungee cord, approx. 4-5mm in diameter, looped around the outer upper section.

Not applicable to Val.

I would also change reference of armour colour to Field Grey or Olive Green, or something similar. Pantone 350U only looks like the colour seen in all reference material once layered with Grey 433U, otherwise it is a bright green that looks nothing like a final MT.

Understood.  I'm assuming this is going to be a proposed change to the Mudtrooper CRL as well when we get to it?

Anyways, I'm trying to zoom up on the reference pic...don't see the bungee but it is fuzzy when I zoom up that close.

@jimmiroquai tagging you here so you can make note of any suggested adjustments.

As we discuss this piece by piece let's make note of any adjustments that the model would need to make in order to achieve the agreed upon Level 1 requirements.

HELMET

@Blackwatch you can proceed w the suggested text adjustments.  @jimmiroquai based on references, I feel we need to get more weathering on this.  Text says "moderately weathered" and she is looking pretty clean at the moment...esp when I compare to references.  This will probably need to be carried over to all armor pieces as well.

HAIR

I'd like to move to optional for now...I believe we will need to do helmet on/helmet off tabbed versions.

GOGGLES

I've requested additional pics of the goggle separate from @jimmiroquai  Regarding the goggles on the model...it appears that the bridge adjuster needs to be bronzed.

SCARF

I'm of the opinion that the scarf needs to be a dark red.  Granted, I'm not the best person to get opinions on color for...but the one being used by model appears much lighter when compared to references.

Thoughts?  Then we can move forward.

All noted! I did try to match the weathering i  the reference pics. It's mostly on the pants, boots, grenades. What i did forget to weather are the ropes. Perhaps that's why it looks too clean still?

I can't recall if there was a scene of Val in MT without the helmet...hair could be optional, but it's just so iconic of the character and wigs are easy to obtain anyway. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Raider said:

SCARF

I'm of the opinion that the scarf needs to be a dark red.  Granted, I'm not the best person to get opinions on color for...but the one being used by model appears much lighter when compared to references.

I agree that the scar needs to be dark red.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jimmiroquai said:

All noted! I did try to match the weathering i  the reference pics. It's mostly on the pants, boots, grenades. What i did forget to weather are the ropes. Perhaps that's why it looks too clean still?

I can't recall if there was a scene of Val in MT without the helmet...hair could be optional, but it's just so iconic of the character and wigs are easy to obtain anyway. 

In the references the armor parts just seem more dingy and scuffed than what these appear.  I see you did some weathering there, but it seems light compared to references...particularly on the bigger pieces (helmet, chest, back, shoulders).  Your weathering is more noticeable on the biceps.

Again...I'm a horrible judge of color (so more opinions on it are welcome), but in regards to the cords...the blaster one looks to be very light in color as well in relation to the reference material (it should be a dark, dirty red).  Likewise, it looks like it is a very similar color to the belt cord, which currently looks very clean and bright on the model compared to the dark, dirty red in the references.  I will hold on any further feedback though on those parts and any wording adjustments to the CRL till we get to them.

David Ill CCP the updated text here.  Also I will make the changes to the measurements.  

this will be version 1.1. 

HELMET PROPOSAL 1.1 

HELMET

·         An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.

·         A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned with the rim.

·         The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is black.

·         The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.

·         A rubber trim, or the illusion of a rubber trim covers the edge of the helmet rim with the join made at the rear center of the helmet.

·         Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt. These may be weathered.

·         The helmet is to be painted in matte olive green to match the armor. The helmet paint finish may be textured, and is moderately  weathered.

·         Helmet has a black chin cup with tan webbing strap. Tan webbing should be lightly weathered.

·         The helmet has a black/dark gray polystyrene inner liner consistent with that of a skate or bike helmet.

·         The telemetry unit may feature a tied length of elastic bungee cord, approx. 4-5mm in diameter, looped around the outer upper section.

·         Disks do not feature a notch or groove details.

·         Green color is similar to Pantone350U

Leaving this here for now for discussion.  We will take things one section

• Like 1

@Blackwatch That looks good to me though I was ok w/ the word "moderately"...it matches the original Mudtrooper CRL and I think that consistency is good.  I was more talking about the model's weathering.  What is your opinion?  Is the weathering amount acceptable?  Open to the community's feedback on this before @jimmiroquai goes weathering crazy on it.

Hair...we can bypass for now and move to optional.  It's unseen with the helmet on...should only be required if the helmet is off (which can be a separate tabbed version).  Now...do you think a requirement of no visible hair is necessary for helmet on or is that nitpicking?

Feel free to tackle goggles and scarf text...they are fine.  Only adjustments that probably should happen are on the model herself.

Im ok with the word moderate to, which is compleley open to interpretation. I can fix it back.   In all the photos I see both in the visdic images  and behind the scenes i dont see big clumps of mud, mostly staining. 

• Like 1

Re: Ropes

Definitely red, not dark red. But weathered.

Re: Scarf

It might be the settings on my camera but the scarf is a deep red but i don't think it should be a dark red. But will look for a darker one if necessary.

Re: weathering

It might not be showing up as much, again due to camera settings but i can weather it some more. 

Thanks!

Here are the scarves next to each other.  I know lighting can be an issue...but these just don't seem close.  If lighting is the issue, it will need to be corrected to match the reference so future builders (and GMLs) know what the correct color should be.

58375244_1659487334183716_5524600751919202304_n.jpg Val scarf..jpg

Same issue in my eyes regarding cords.  We aren't really to the blaster yet, but is the CRL model blaster painted black or all silver?  It seems very shiny.

57606634_737386463323135_4088972899182968832_n.jpgVal pistol..jpgVal belt..jpg

On 4/29/2019 at 9:18 PM, Blackwatch said:

Im ok with the word moderate to, which is compleley open to interpretation. I can fix it back.   In all the photos I see both in the visdic images  and behind the scenes i dont see big clumps of mud, mostly staining. 

For all armor parts (including helmet) let's adjust the Pantone out and get the different color wording in there.  I looked up olive green and there are some pretty bright variations that can be had from that... @JAFO suggestion of Field Grey seems the safer choice...unless we do a combo of both?

Agree with field grey as well. When I saw this costume for the very first time thats the only color name that came to mind, from my years of painting military models and figures. 

regarding the models pistol to meit looks glossy black, reflecting.

I will make the color changes to the helmet, and as we go along.    

On 4/29/2019 at 8:12 PM, Blackwatch said:

David Ill CCP the updated text here.  Also I will make the changes to the measurements.  

this will be version 1.1. 

HELMET PROPOSAL 1.2

HELMET

·         The helmet is to be painted in matte Field grey olive green to match the armor. The helmet paint finish may be  slightly textured, and is moderately  weathered

·         The helmet has a black/dark gray polystyrene inner liner consistent with that of a skate or bike helmet.

·         The telemetry unit may feature a tied length of elastic bungee cord, approx. 4-5mm in diameter, looped around the outer upper section.

·         Disks do not feature a notch or groove details.

·         Green color is similar to Pantone350U

Please review for discussion before moving to the goggles. 

• Like 1

Good to me @Blackwatch.  Goggles are good too...but would like to add inch measurements to this in addition to mm.

Scarf...color needs to be settled.

• Like 1

I found a set of colors. Since international names as well as monitor settings may vary, I suggest (and I may be wrong!)

I suggest the color "apple" from the following chart. No, thats not an international color, but its a description and I know theres more than one shade of 'apple red" just as this chart shows us 20, so its a direction. I compared the refernces pictures to my phone with htis image on it.  Lighting changes this color dramatically as we see from the reference shots. 

oMKI4ie.png

@Raider  regarding the pistol finish, its black with a chrome muzz lethat has been modified, so, "yes" to your black or chrome query. 

updated colors in the original CRL text, fixed sizes, added "apple" to scarf as discussion point.  

That brings us down to the Poncho, which may be good as-is

PONCHO

·         Plash Palatka Style Poncho.

·         Poncho is dyed or painted black.

·         Tied or otherwise attached under the chest armor and worn to cover the back plate.

·         Poncho shall be heavily weathered.

·         Ring Grommets shall be leather to match reference photo or metal grommets shall be covered with leather to mimic leather grommets.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!  Thanks for all the input!  I've weathered the chords with some mud and i've taken a pic of the reds.  Pic levels have been adjusted to match how the reds look like in person as my camera seems to like to adjust to make the red pop out too much.  Also of note is the round cartridge butt on the pistol should be painted silver as well.  

iJ85BS.jpg

• Like 1