Sithtrooper Boots & Boot Armor - Draft CRL Development Discussion

This section is now pending agreement. Once agreement has been reached then I will add this to the main CRL text.

Boots & boot armor

• Boots:
    • FO style boot finished in a gloss or semi-gloss red that closely resembles the armor
    • Sole is black rubber with no visible heel
    • No visible buckles or laces
  • Boot Armour
    • finished in a high gloss deep red that matches the colors of the entire costume
    • Fixed to the top of the boot and sits under the spats
    • divided into 3 sections that
      • the top front section has a number recessed lines running vertically as shown
      • the outer section has diagonal lines running parallel to the edge of the armour as shown
      • the inner panel is smooth/flat and has no recessed lines
      • the front panel is of equal width to and lines up with the front section of the shin

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• The boot color and gloss shall match the armour
  • Top front section of the armor has approx 10 recessed lines
  • Outer section of the armour has at least 14 visible recessed lines
  • Rectangular section on the toe and the heel of the boot that is knurled
  • Stitching at the top of the sole runs the entire diameter of the boot
  • There is a seam down both sides of the front that swoops out to the side of the foot
  • There is a vertical zipper on the inside that spans the height of the boot.

5vnPUzo - Imgur.jpg

Will we be allowing Magma trooper boots as that style (white) are in FISD's FOTK CRL for basic approval?

• ANH/ESB TK boots are allowed.

I ask as I've always thought it odd, really you should have the boot that is seen on that particular trooper but in this case there is a boot cover plate.

Great work BTW ?

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Will we be allowing Magma trooper boots as that style (white) are in FISD's FOTK CRL for basic approval?

• ANH/ESB TK boots are allowed.

I ask as I've always thought it odd, really you should have the boot that is seen on that particular trooper but in this case there is a boot cover plate.

Great work BTW ?

I saw that in the FOTK and wondered about why you would considering they are different boots. One has a heel and the other does not. It’s up for debate, however it could be an opportunity to “fix” it? 

For me personally, I think it should be what’s on screen or display. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, nanotek said:

I saw that in the FOTK and wondered about why you would considering they are different boots. One has a heel and the other does not. It’s up for debate, however it could be an opportunity to “fix” it? 

For me personally, I think it should be what’s on screen or display. 

I agree, the FOTK CRL will be undergoing an update soon and I'll be pushing for the removal of the ANH and ESB boots option

I think it was first added as there suppliers of the FOTK boot where scarce but not an issue these days ;) 

8 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I agree, the FOTK CRL will be undergoing an update soon and I'll be pushing for the removal of the ANH and ESB boots option

I think it was first added as there suppliers of the FOTK boot where scarce but not an issue these days ;) 

Im not up on FOTK suppliers...but if the correct boots are readily available Im of the opinion we limit the CRL to that even for Level 1 and would support that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Raider said:

Im not up on FOTK suppliers...but if the correct boots are readily available Im of the opinion we limit the CRL to that even for Level 1 and would support that.

?

Well I know IB have them:

Select red https://www.imperialboots.com/product/trooper7-first-order-stormtrooper/

cJL4LNx.jpg

IB may have to make a minor change to their Magma boots. It looks like the Sith boot's toe is more rounded. Very close however. Unless the photo angle makes the toe look narrower.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

IB may have to make a minor change to their Magma boots. It looks like the Sith boot's toe is more rounded. Very close however. Unless the photo angle makes the toe look narrower.t

Would be the camera angle I would say, their magma boots are different though, that image is for the FOTK red version but from the side ;) 

Would be the camera angle I would say, their magma boots are different though, that image is for the FOTK red version but from the side ;) 

Good to know, thank you.

• Like 1
On 7/29/2019 at 7:27 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Now ya just need it in patent leather. I spit shined boots for 30 years. LOL

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 7:58 AM, JoeShoe said:

Boot Section looks good.  Perhaps we make glossy boots L2?  Not sure how hard this'll be to do - im experimenting this weekend on some practice pieces of leather to see what i can do. 

On 1/1/2020 at 8:36 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

I've tried a few different things so far mostly shoe based polishes and Vaseline, Dubbin appears to give the best shine with a little heat so far but not a deep gloss, will keep experimenting though

https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/high-gloss-vs-matte-patina/

Also here is an article on how patent leather is created

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Patent-Leather.html

"In the United States, a common finishing technique used to be a spray application of the polyurethene and/or acrylic. "

I can see evidence of masking in one reference picture on the boot. So I imagine the above is correct

• 3 months later...

is anyone besides IB making this boot, since we want it in a high gloss for L2, it has to be obtainable either by purchase, or by working it at home. 

57 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

is anyone besides IB making this boot, since we want it in a high gloss for L2, it has to be obtainable either by purchase, or by working it at home. 

There has been some discussion that the company in Poland that have been making the production used trooper boots since TFA were seeking a licence to sell them. I'll see if there is any update. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JAFO said:

There has been some discussion that the company in Poland that have been making the production used trooper boots since TFA were seeking a licence to sell them. I'll see if there is any update. 

Looks good, I would still like to see "high gloss" for boots as L2 as commonly available boots don't have that finish

I personally hope the Polish company got permission, it would be great to get the correct finish.

We can certainly look at relaxing the rule in the short term if there are no viable options, but would prefer to get the closest match possible.

Possible text would be:

• FO style boot finished in a gloss or semi-gloss red that closely resembles the armor

OPTIONAL Level 2:

• Boot and armour must match in appearance

Or something like that

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, nanotek said:

We can certainly look at relaxing the rule in the short term if there are no viable options, but would prefer to get the closest match possible.

Possible text would be:

OPTIONAL Level 2:

• Boot and armour must match in appearance

Or something like that

Sounds good

If the boot is high gloss, I don't think you are out of bounds requiring it as such for Level 2.  Level 2 doesn't block any basic approvals...it's a representation of higher visual accuracy.  Normally I'm in lock step with @Blackwatch but this is a point I may disagree in (don't get mad at me man lol).  So for what it's worth, I'd say you can require that at L2 regardless of whether the boots are readily available or not.  Either builders will find ways to meet that requirement or the the demand by builders will cause vendors to produce the product.  Right?  That's my opinion anyways...as I always say, feel free to out-vote me ?

4 hours ago, nanotek said:

Updated text

Cool thanks!  Is the vertical zipper hidden anyways by the armor?  L2 if so I think as a GML wouldnt see it.