Jen's Lady Mud Build

jen0farc

Hey all, I've finally got my mud trooper into a place where I'd love some feedback on how it's looking. This is an 850 kit I modified (replaced the recessed section in front and the two in the back) and with Andrew's respirator.  Soft parts I all sewed myself.  I also have a pre-weathering shot of the back without the plash but I forgot to put the collar on and it was  taken during a test fit before I attached the hoses.  This is my fourth armor build and has definitely been by far the most challenging.  Let me know where I need to improve!

OiZ2ilh.jpg

DZYZnsD.jpg

U1iQX3N.jpg

4hrBlNC.jpg

CLm2Vaf.jpg

• Like 3

@jen0farc At first glance I'd say you did a great job!

The things that stand out to me off the bat are that the shoulder bells seem large for you...the mask as well.  The bells might be trim-able.  Not sure you could really do much w/ the mask.  Some weathering on the mask couldn't hurt either to match a little better w/ the worn look of the armor.  Possible to lengthen your tunic arms a bit to close that gap at the wrist a bit?

Color is the one thing I can't really give you good feedback on.  Can't tell shades apart very well.

If I notice anything else, I will post.   Thanks for asking for feedback!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Raider said:

@jen0farc At first glance I'd say you did a great job!

The things that stand out to me off the bat are that the shoulder bells seem large for you...the mask as well. 

Thanks so much for the feedback!  I think the bells are big too but the shape and grooves made me a little stumped as to how/where to trim them so they still have the correct shape/lines.  Maybe a little off both the top and bottom? What would you recommend?

Not sure what to do about the mask either ... the 850 one was unusable and this was the only one out there to buy ... maybe having it a little higher up (shorten the neck strap) will make it appear less gigantic?  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, jen0farc said:

Thanks so much for the feedback!  I think the bells are big too but the shape and grooves made me a little stumped as to how/where to trim them so they still have the correct shape/lines.  Maybe a little off both the top and bottom? What would you recommend?

Not sure what to do about the mask either ... the 850 one was unusable and this was the only one out there to buy ... maybe having it a little higher up (shorten the neck strap) will make it appear less gigantic?  

You're right about the bells.  If you trim them the grooves (at the bottom especially) will be cutoff.  No bueno.

The mask...yea sometimes it's just perspective.  In the references there are some masks that look big on the troopers and others not so much.  The tensioner on the goggles is bronzed yes?

How did you replace the chest indent?  I'm assuming that it wasn't slanted (that's what most of the early makers had in their kits).

31 minutes ago, Raider said:

You're right about the bells.  If you trim them the grooves (at the bottom especially) will be cutoff.  No bueno.

The mask...yea sometimes it's just perspective.  In the references there are some masks that look big on the troopers and others not so much.  The tensioner on the goggles is bronzed yes?

How did you replace the chest indent?  I'm assuming that it wasn't slanted (that's what most of the early makers had in their kits).

What if I trimmed the bells along the top/shoulder so the bottom grooves stayed intact? A little gentle boiling water shaping could make them still lay right.  

Will do on the sleeves, there's plenty of seam allowance on the cuff to lengthen.

Tensioner is bronzed but it's photographing a little bit on the gold side so I will hit it with some more weathering, aa you suggested.

You are correct, chest indent was a plain rectangle, so I (carefully!) cut it out, and glued in a new angled piece from the reverse side.  Same with the back vents.

Will try another set of photos shot straight on, see if that helps the look of the mask, will also take one with the mask up and goggles down.

Thanks so much again for your help!

• Like 1

@jen0farc Another idea to help w the bells maybe...they dont need to be rotated forward as much as u have them.  Some space showing tunic between bell and chest is ok.  That might hide some of it under the plash as well.  Maybe....

And yes is if u trim and shape somewhere the top and sides are the safe spot so long as u dont hit the grooves.

• Like 1

First-

Welcome!

Second

GOOD WORK!  

Third, this is a beast of a build, and you are on the right track.  Agree about the bells and other issues addressed.  Arethse the boots you plan to use? make sure if you do use them the upper strap stays in place, its flopped down in the back pick with the plashk off.    

I like the color, it feels right to me, but a bit more weathering will tie it all together.  Looking forward to seeing more of your build photos. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

HI @jen0farc.  At a glance, and initial impression, this is a good Mudtrooper profile.

If I may suggest some areas of improvements aside from what's already been identified by @Raider and @Blackwatch:

• Poncho/plash -- might need another round of dye.  Registers to me as a bit on the brown tone.  Needs some weathering.
  • Hose might be a tad too long.  I can't fully determine though, until your mask is on.
  • Right bicep armor -- Can you post a separate photo of that piece?  From your pictures, it comes to me as too chalky-white, and not the logical weathering you'd get as a Mudtrooper.
  • Belt buckle / Belt  - same concern as your bicep armor.  just looks like something white was just smeared all over it.  
  • Boots - needs more weathering.  I'm a stickler for "logical weathering."  Boots of the Muddies would be one of the dirtiest part of the costume.
  • Weathering -- aside from your white smears, your pieces can benefit from added "colored dirt" -- some browns, a little bit of black.  Don't be too heavy-handed though as I observe with most Mudtroopers.

That's it for me as I look forward to having you among the roster of Muddies all over the galaxy! 

;)

• Like 1

I just re weathered my IAT yesterday and did exactly as you advised.   two colors, then blending a third color for the mud, and applying as if I were moving through the terriain, as much as over it.  Or just look back at pics of how muddy I was when I was in the Army.   

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

I just re weathered my IAT yesterday and did exactly as you advised.   two colors, then blending a third color for the mud, and applying as if I were moving through the terriain, as much as over it.  Or just look back at pics of how muddy I was when I was in the Army.   

Awesome @Blackwatch!

Essentially those were my Muddy concoction, in the following order:

1. Black  -  smears, and misting of spray paint, a bit heavy on the edges (gives that "singed" look)

2. Dark Brown - older mud

4. Light Grey - to evoke old, caked mud

3. Light Brown - light, on differrent spots, to connote fresh mud splatters

I apply using combination of tip of a thick brush, and at least 2 different sponges.  Both for hard armor and soft goods.

Most Muddies I see apply "weathering" and "mud" with what looked like random hand smears.  Does not come off as natural to me.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

throw an old blanket on and dive into some mud.  Photograph how you come out and where he mud is, thats fairly accurate.  Also account for the splatter effect from above.  The artillery bombarded mud fields of France in WWII left nothing visible for miles besides mud. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thank you so much everyone for all your helpful tips and suggestions! Life got in the way a little bit these past couple months but I finally made all the suggested changes: blackened my plash, trimmed and reshaped my bells, trimmed my hoses, lengthened my sleeves, shortened my mask strap, fixed my shin armor straps, and re did all my weathering with a three-color method (gray, black and brown) which turned out SO much better!  Great tip!

Anyway I just found out tonight I am officially approved as both Version 1 and Version 4, Val! I'm really excited, I've been working on this one on and off for a full year now and it feels really good to be crossing the finish line.  Thank you again everyone who helped me, I'm so proud to be a TX!

3hD35xRl.png

dz7hcJW.jpg

LafcsNQ.jpg

• Like 5

Congrats @jen0farc!  It looks great!!!  Im glad to see you went for that Val version as well.  Great to see that the advice was used and the results worked well.  Thank you for the update and again congratulations!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, xAlpha said:

Congratulations! It looks great.

4 hours ago, Devolver said:

Congrats! The Mudtrooper is one of the coolest looking kits in the Legion and yours absolutely does it justice!

8 hours ago, Raider said:

Congrats @jen0farc!  It looks great!!!  Im glad to see you went for that Val version as well.  Great to see that the advice was used and the results worked well.  Thank you for the update and again congratulations!

Thank you Zac, Robert and David! I'm really excited!

I only wished I'd posted more of my build here but I've gotten used to quick chronicling builds in my Instagram stories and I just never got around to moving all the many many photos here as well.  Hardest part was modding the 850 armor and getting everything to fit decently.  Had I limitless resources I think a 3D print scaled to my measurements would look much better on me but I'm proud of how much I was able to tame this beast and get it to work.  On the hunt now for some sweet Siren merchandise!! 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, jen0farc said:

Thank you Zac, Robert and David! I'm really excited!

I only wished I'd posted more of my build here but I've gotten used to quick chronicling builds in my Instagram stories and I just never got around to moving all the many many photos here as well.  Hardest part was modding the 850 armor and getting everything to fit decently.  Had I limitless resources I think a 3D print scaled to my measurements would look much better on me but I'm proud of how much I was able to tame this beast and get it to work.  On the hunt now for some sweet Siren merchandise!! 

Sirens???  Hit up @Hydra (Rosemarie)!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...