ScaryGuy’s Imperial Army Trooper WIP

I’m doing a Imperial Army Trooper with the hat option instead of the helmet and goggles. I already have the pouches which I bought more then a year ago. I wanted to do an IAT with the armor option, but then the CRL was changed and that was no longer an option, so I put the project on hold. For Celebration next year I want to bring a costume that would fit in my luggage, so I decided to continue with this one.

Pouches and belt are from Condor:

• 1x MA33-001: Triple AR/AK Mag Pouch OD Green
  • 2x MA47-001: Double Handcuff Pouch OD Green
  • 1x G.I. Style Nylon Pistol Belt OD Green
  • 1x MA67-001: G.P. General Purpose Pouch OD Green

I also have the French Army gloves. They are quite thick so I removed the inner liner. Maybe I will be looking for some other gloves with the level 2 stitch lines.

I have 2 inch webbing, but the green is a bit off from the pouches and belt so I’m still looking for other options. One of the biggest issues with this costume is that you end up with a lot of different shades of green.

Luckily I could still find the Hunter Bay boots on Amazon. I bought them in size 8 which fit perfectly. The next available size was 14, so if it wouldn’t fit I would have to find other boots or just use jack boots which I also have for other costumes. 

The jumpsuit is going to be custom made so I’m searching for a fabric to use. It’s not easy to find a fabric that matches the pouches. I have several samples and currently these two are the best options. They vary a lot depending on the lighting conditions or the camera used, so I took pictures on different conditions.

The right one is more olive but looks more brown or grey under low light conditions. Any opinions on these?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yay! another IAT~~

I went to Mchaels and got a couple of cans of the Montana Gold Olive Green and sprayed Everything on the web gear including the belt and H strap.  I painted the boots with Angelus olive green leather paint, then sprayed them and my helmet with the Montana gold.  It will soak in when you spray the green, so be prepared for that. I don't like mismatch--its a huge issue with me so I made sure to paint everything to match.

I kept the liners in my gloves, and yes they are THICK and WARM.  To me they are slick and hard to grasp anything, which I don't remember from the gloves I had in the Army. 

For your suit go to Joanns and find the twill aisle. There is a green bottom weight twill there called--Army Green.  Its SIMILAR TO but not the same as OG107 green, but for bulk, its close.  

Here is my WIP and you can see the steps I went through.  The Black version (Sapper) is certainly easier with no painting involved. 

https://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/topic/6018-iat-green-trooper-wip/

• Like 1

Looks like you’ve got a great start on your build. I’ll be following this thread to see how you tackle your kit. I hope to build an IAT in the future for the same reasons you stated: Full armor kits don’t travel long distances well. 

8 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

I went to Mchaels and got a couple of cans of the Montana Gold Olive Green and sprayed Everything on the web gear including the belt and H strap.  I painted the boots with Angelus olive green leather paint, then sprayed them and my helmet with the Montana gold.  It will soak in when you spray the green, so be prepared for that. I don't like mismatch--its a huge issue with me so I made sure to paint everything to match.

I kept the liners in my gloves, and yes they are THICK and WARM.  To me they are slick and hard to grasp anything, which I don't remember from the gloves I had in the Army. 

For your suit go to Joanns and find the twill aisle. There is a green bottom weight twill there called--Army Green.  Its SIMILAR TO but not the same as OG107 green, but for bulk, its close.  

Here is my WIP and you can see the steps I went through.  The Black version (Sapper) is certainly easier with no painting involved. 

https://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/topic/6018-iat-green-trooper-wip/

Thanks for your suggestions!

I went through the WIP threads here and the Montana Gold Olive Green looks really different from the suit and gear. It could be due to lighting conditions but the color really looks off to me, not a fan of using that color.

I'm planning to use the Angelus paint for the boots and gloves. I want to color mix the Angelus paint to match it with the color of the suit. If the suit/boots and gloves are the same shade, then it will be less an issue if the gear has a slightly different shade. I want to match the harness color to the belt and pouches, so I might have to paint that one too.

I'm from the Netherlands so I'm looking for local fabric options. What do you think of the fabric in my pictures?

• 3 weeks later...

honestly the fabric is going to be up to the GML in your garrison.  What we like , and what your GML will approve may be two different things. 

The Montana Gold is what we found that works to match the colors, but also don't forget that these troopers are VERY dirty. I have mud and clay rubbed into all of my gear.