RAIDER S.C.A.R. Squadron Cav WIP

Starting a WIP thread here.  This build wont be a start-to-finish project as I picked up a nearly-complete Sandtrooper ATA kit that I will be modifying.  Once all of the weathering is cleaned off and I finish building the thighs, I will start posting pics along with some of my research from the comic panels.  This will be interesting as I’ve only built 3 costumes that had prior CRLs (Shadow Scout, TK, and TD) and I am doing the groundwork research from a slew of inconsistent comic panels.

• Helmet/Armor - ATA Armor Works
  • Chest/Abdomen/Shoulders - 3D Printed
  • Clone Belt Armor - Imperial Surplus
  • TK Canvas Belt - Imperial Issue
  • Thermal Detonator - Anovos
  • Boots - Imperial Boots
  • Neck Seal - Trooperbay
  • Undersuit - Dr. Skin (Amazon)
  • Gloves - Dishwasher Gloves/Nomex Flight Gloves (Amazon)
  • Sheaths/Pouches - Darman’s Props (Custom)
  • Knives - 3D Printed @Fivezero
  • E-11 - DoopyDoo

EDIT: Cav's armor (along with all of SCAR Squadron) progresses/evolves as the timeline progresses.  While some parts maintain consistency throughout, there are some noticeable differences.  In particular, Cav has a bionic arm that would be difficult to replicate in a costume.  HOWEVER, in Issues #59-61, Cav's arm is covered in standard TK armor, so these panels will be the primary references for my build (and eventual CRL proposal (and will pull details as necessary from secondary references/panels though that will be minimal if at all):

IMG_2909.JPG IMG_2912.JPG IMG_2922.JPG IMG_2925.JPG IMG_2931.JPG IMG_2932.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2932.JPG IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2944.JPG IMG_2945.JPG

Anyways, the goal is Celebration Anaheim ‘22!!!  Let the fun begin...

• Like 4

First picture updates...

I started the bondo work on the chest to smooth it out per the references which should give it a more solid mounting area for the knife sheaths.  Here are some progress pics.  Not quite done yet.  Need to put some filler in some spots, then prime and paint.

2mU2NTW.jpeg

5XjgW18.jpeg

fROe3WV.jpeg

4flSYap.jpeg

@nanotek If you can assist…I copied links and pasted and hit enter but pics aren't showing.

Other than this chest update, here are other general updates.

-Cleaned off all of the TD weathering on all parts.  Boots, I couldn't get it all off, but this trooper I think will have some weathering to it along with the cuts and battle damage and so will get some feedback later on whether I need to paint boots or can leave as is.

-Trimmed out the arm parts a bit more to fit my muscular arms (hahaha).

-Constructed thighs (waiting on last cover strip to dry).

-Cleaned up the chest trim job as well.

-The shins had some weird shim construction to them.  Going to need to redo those.

-The previous builder also did some ab-to-kidney plate suspender system I have never seen before and so I will need to remove that and restrap.

-Ordered replacement shoulder straps and TK knee plate to replace the TD work.  When those arrive, can finish off the shin and will need to restrap the chest/back.

-Ordered an animated clone belt (which will need some slight modification)…once I have that in hand and can get some measurements on it, I will order a canvas belt to mount it to.

-Ordered leather knife sheaths for chest and thigh and 2 medium Spanish pouches (with a custom tab).

- @Fivezero has graciously stepped up to help 3D model the unique left shoulder bell and knives. (THANKS!)

I think that's it…going to start uploading the primary and secondary references now.

• Like 2

Looking good!

FYI I got your images fixed. For Imgur you'll have to right click the image on the Imgur page and select "Copy image address" and then paste into the thread box. It should have a .jpeg at the end of it to work. Then you can double click that image within the thread and add the URL for the actual Imgur link in the pop-up box to allow for someone to click it for full size. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 3

Updated original post and reference pictures thread (though they may need sorting by issue to separate the different variants).

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I've sorted the reference pictures thread by issue arc to separate the different versions.

I should also have some update pictures shortly on my progress.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Chest Update:

Attached newly ordered shoulder straps (previous kit being a Sandtrooper did not have any).

Do3QhKW.jpg

• Like 2

Abdomen Update:

This is going to be the most challenging mod.  Initially, I tried to just fill everything with bondo.  It didn’t work.  Extremely heavy and the bondo would not adhere well particularly around the edges.  Easily cracked. So I did just that and cracked all of it off and hit the reset button.

So then I tried a similar method as @darthRivera but less invasive because I am just not as brave lol.

Trimmed out all of the raised details.  Added plastic behind the armor.  This will allow for less use of filler material...meaning less weight (though it will still be heavier than a standard TK ab).  Disregard the interior bits...may have to redo some of that.

zn37OZG.jpg

WLLDGsv.jpg

K5xAo7n.jpg

Then I started filling using this instead of bondo...

x6FJocT.jpg

This was suggested by a local friend.  It works just like bondo but adheres much better to the plastic and is lighter.  It also has some flexibility which will resist cracking (hopefully) while trooping.

And so...I’ve started filling/sanding and will post pics when this portion is finished.

• Like 2

Knives Update:

KNIVES!!!  3D printed by my dude @ShadowDriver using the files designed by @Fivezero

These were printed using the original specs and will used for the chest and thigh sheaths.  Size-wise they did feel small (at least for my hands) and so I will have a couple slightly larger ones printed to hold while trooping.  Will need to smooth out lines and paint.

kxcz8jH.jpg

• Like 2

Random Updates (no pics):

-Installed TK knee plate (removed Sandtrooper knee plate)

-Installed right thigh ammo using split rivets.

-Finished removing previously installed shin shims.

-Trimmed clone belt.  Will order canvas belt once I finish the ab/strapping so I can get proper size.

-Started painting this weekend.  Hopefully weather is good so I can start re-strapping this up asap.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RAIDER said:

Then I started filling using this instead of bondo...

x6FJocT.jpg

This was suggested by a local friend.  It works just like bondo but adheres much better to the plastic and is lighter.  It also has some flexibility which will resist cracking (hopefully) while trooping.

And so...I’ve started filling/sanding and will post pics when this portion is finished.

This is a great idea.  I could not find anything similar to this product here.

I avoid cracks in my abdomen because I have a fiberglass base inside, but it makes the piece heavier.  Still, I do not 100% prevent that at some point I have cracks due to trooping.

These mods are not made by many people, you are already brave modifying this armor.

Vas muy bien, sigue adelante. 

• Like 1

Polyflex is awesome stuff! I used that for my Royal Guard helmet after recommendation from some clones. It smooths out perfectly, the only thing you have to watch is very small amounts at a time because it hardens so damn fast! Other than that, it is great!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Back with an update!

After working an reworking the polyflex on the chest and ab, ive found im just not happy w how its turning out…in particular the weight of it. The armor is really heavy.

So for the torso parts I shifted gears and hopefully will have a 3D printed product to work on soon.

For now, I received my first pics of the custom Spanish Medium Pouches for the belt!  White tabbed per reference!

812DAEFB-0D00-4F65-92D1-EBF69B90F966.thumb.jpeg.9e1a706e0a969def549b78c96f317500.jpeg 

JFrUhxo.jpg

DWgxoWW.jpg

8N1lxIi.jpg

DC987890-4E33-4230-B45E-39B9C3F6AFD5.jpeg

0AD8D80E-C92D-4B04-8ED5-3782A3A0C1B1.jpeg

7DD84155-19C0-4132-B617-EAFE783D67EE.jpeg

• Like 1
On 8/21/2021 at 7:29 AM, RAIDER said:

Back with an update!

After working an reworking the polyflex on the chest and ab, ive found im just not happy w how its turning out…in particular the weight of it. The armor is really heavy.

So for the torso parts I shifted gears and hopefully will have a 3D printed product to work on soon.

For now, I received my first pics of the custom Spanish Medium Pouches for the belt!  White tabbed per reference!

812DAEFB-0D00-4F65-92D1-EBF69B90F966.thumb.jpeg.9e1a706e0a969def549b78c96f317500.jpeg 

JFrUhxo.jpg

DWgxoWW.jpg

8N1lxIi.jpg

DC987890-4E33-4230-B45E-39B9C3F6AFD5.jpeg

0AD8D80E-C92D-4B04-8ED5-3782A3A0C1B1.jpeg

7DD84155-19C0-4132-B617-EAFE783D67EE.jpeg

I'm glad you posted that about the Polyflex, I never thought about it adding a ton of weight. I had used a bunch of it on my Royal Guard helmet but I think I didn't notice it as much because the plastic was thicker than other plastic I've used.

21 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

I'm glad you posted that about the Polyflex, I never thought about it adding a ton of weight. I had used a bunch of it on my Royal Guard helmet but I think I didn't notice it as much because the plastic was thicker than other plastic I've used.

it works good.  better than bondo…but the amount im needing to use to get that ab smooth was insane n would probably cause snaps to pop or armor to crack at the shoulders/chest w the weight.

once i get the 3D print i will start posting on that again

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Armor update.  After attempting the modification of TK parts and not being pleased with achieving the unique details nor the overall weight of the armor, I opted for some custom 3D modeled parts…

The chest…unassembled…

pPmF1tb.jpg

Assembled with fiberglass backing…view to show upper details.  The squared neck line w recessed area (similar to a Shoretrooper). The notches in the shoulders are just guidelines for the shoulder straps.

A0iJpRb.jpg

Lower view to show the return edge seen in references…

9sCgYFA.jpg

Straight on view…

ucH3YSY.jpg

• Like 1

I need some quick feedback on this part if possible please @IcyTrooper @Blackwatch @nanotek @darthRivera The left shoulder.  As per the usual, the references are inconsistent and I need to see what the consensus is on this part and if anything needs adjusting.

In this shot notice the angled look of the bell aat the bottom as it wraps the arm (angled all the way across…not smooth like a normal TK. Also note the shape of the raised area…and that this seems to just be a shoulder bell by itself…

E6034F52-229C-42A7-81D3-11468753A7C7.thumb.jpeg.bf47fc22d530ca87c37c9eb132bc26b9.jpeg

Here is the opposite side of the bell…notice we cannot see the underside of the bell and so dont see the angled look but here the bell appears smooth instead lol which contradicts the previous reference. The shape of the raised area is also different with the “cutout” in the center.  Note that it still looks like just a shoulder bell though.

0216DB7E-27BA-4B8A-A4E6-9035B2E4EEA7.jpeg.cdfbae2e57b317aa5c84d0693d0fb06d.jpeg

Here…tough to make out anything really.other than the raised area which seems to have the cutout.

AE071093-5F72-4344-AE74-30B271764462.jpeg.3ef93315bc4d8687489f0c0b1b6f40c4.jpeg

Here we see not a whole lot other than it looks like a shoulder bell with a bit extra size.

DBCC12B6-1188-49F7-958D-1B93AAA5CD47.jpeg.94d621dfbfb3a62352cc7c86024e67f1.jpeg

Now heres where it gets weird…this image is from a faraway look so i had to zoom quite a bit…raised area is entirely different and looks more like an attachment to the bell.

0914B7D3-3F03-4894-B198-64F5C5A63F6F.jpeg.e9f01e7b67ba151bade398bc784f73de.jpeg

And finally…this shows an angled armor part as a bell covering…again taken from another faraway shot.

4F8A4AB6-1D07-4CD4-86AB-C4DF52E821F2.jpeg.23353faa22db619b266851c8b4fdeda2.jpeg

NOW…here is the current model i have…

LcVGbC5.jpg

gPPMDOA.jpg

First…its a decent bit larger than a standard TK shoulder bell.  Smooth in that it has no ridge line.  Does have a raised area that is smooth across the top.  This one uses the cutout in the center-side…make note of the “swoop” upwards.

It has the side-look shape which i think is right…and is using the angled (as opposed to rounded/smooth) arm opening at the bottom.

My biggest questions…

Does the raised area and style of the cutout look good or does anyone see something that may need adjusting?

Does the angled arm opening (and then how that angles the lower parts of the bell) seem ok?

I believe that we should go with the detail on the largest panel for what detail was trying to be achieved as the smaller panels probably had some of the weirdness added to make it appear stand-out as opposed to looking like a normal TK shoulder bell.

My honest opinion is that you nailed the look with what you have thus far. I'd assume the other side of that shoulder bell raised part looks like that of the 1st pic you have?

• Like 1

Frist. Welcome to the world of inconsistent references ??

It's complicated, but I think your model interprets the correct version.

spacer.png

I agree that it is larger than a regular TK shoulder armor.  The raised area and style I see it very well, I imagine that both sides are the same?

I see in the drawings, it has a thick edge. I do not know how thick the edge on your design.

• Like 2

@IcyTrooper @darthRivera

Yes both sides of my 3D print are the same.  Do you think one side should have U cutout and the other filled in or same on both sides?

Here is an underside look of the thickness..

1zjsaH6.jpg

As I look at it, it seems like the raised area cutout doesnt really swoop up…should it be more like this?

FA1C1C5A-136A-4BB3-BEA9-80A15E564F9F.thumb.jpeg.c22be2fcd17254545cda598f527bd42f.jpeg

And finally the issue of scale…these show a comprison to a normal TK bell and then over a bicep piece.  Thoughts on scale/proportions compared to what art is showing?

r1v2bta.jpg

Qp88TVn.jpg

Right shoulder bell.  Has no ridge like a standard TK.  More closely resembles a scout trooper bell.  The scale on this was pretty big and so I had to cut the armor down to get it closer to a normal TK size.  Not exact but alot closer than the original print…

Before trimming…

mCrXZvl.jpg

6iGlrLf.jpg

After trimming with comparison…

HSF9EVp.jpg

IH1OsMu.jpg

I'd say that the larger scale wise seems good. In that first panel it looks like if it was lowered down the shoulder would cover most of the bicep.

I also agree with that raised detail not swooping up.