Purge Trooper (Phase II) - Kenobi - Discussion

Since you are working on the Kama this weekend we can go out of order on the finalization of text. I had to look around to make sure I could find it in all these pages, but I finally did! :D

I did any changes in purple for now, but I do have a question about the red text. I'm having a hard time figuring out where this is.

Kama

• The exterior is a black leather or leather-like material.
  • Any stitching that is used is black.
  • The exterior is divided into 4 large panels and has the following details:
    • Three small pleated panels, roughly 1.5 inches (40mm) per panel, of equal height are stacked vertically at the bottom of the Kama.
    • There is a slit separating the back center of the Kama that runs from the bottom and stops a third of the way from the top.
  • A red corded seam runs along the front edge on both sides and matches the red used on the armor.
  • The inner lining fabric has a pattern representing black cogs on a red background (vinyl material acceptable) and has the following details:
    • The inner lining is divided into 4 large panels that run top to bottom.
    • Black repeating cog pattern covers the entire interior.
      • Each row is offset from the row above and below and are roughly 1/2 inches (12.7mm) in diameter.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• The exterior is black leather.
  • The red on the inner liner fabric is raised, giving the appearance of an embossed pattern.
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Since you are working on the Kama this weekend we can go out of order on the finalization of text. I had to look around to make sure I could find it in all these pages, but I finally did! :D

I did any changes in purple for now, but I do have a question about the red text. I'm having a hard time figuring out where this is.

Kama

• The exterior is divided into 4 large panels and has the following details:
    • Three small pleated panels, roughly 1.5 inches (40mm) per panel, of equal height are stacked vertically at the bottom of the Kama.
    • There is a slit separating the back center of the Kama that runs from the bottom and stops a third of the way from the top.
  • A red corded seam runs along the front edge on both sides and matches the red used on the armor.
  • The inner lining fabric has a pattern representing black cogs on a red background (vinyl material acceptable) and has the following details:
    • The inner lining is divided into 4 large panels that run top to bottom.
    • Black repeating cog pattern covers the entire interior.
      • Each row is offset from the row above and below and are roughly 1/2 inches (12.7mm) in diameter.

• The red on the inner liner fabric is raised, giving the appearance of an embossed pattern.

Sorry mate, I should have told you I've already updated the "final text" thread with everything done to date. Should make it easier to find stuff next time!

• Thanks 1

Maybe tweaked slightly to make it slightly clearer?

"The rear center of the Kama has a slit that runs from the bottom and stops a third of the way from the top."

• Thanks 1

Hey Ryan, I'll post a few references of the Kama and the slit/opening on the back. Since I've had input into writing or contributing into all  of the pieces, I've stepped back a little during the review. All of your input has been spot on and has definitely made it sound consistent with all of the standing CRLs I've worked with as a GML, so thanks for all of your work so far. 

• Thanks 1

@dewannawanga Thanks for the clarity! I guess I was trying to figure out if it was a true split or if it was hemmed so that it was a fold-over on a seam? I've looked for proper sewing definitions, kind of like how I that piping was really a "corded seam".

@tipperaryred Ahhh, okay, I was wondering. I usually move the stuff over from the later pages into the main once we are good with the text. If you have done that on a few that is good, just want to make sure it gets carried over right so that when we get to the Wiki we don't have to go back for a major error. I see what you did now, so we are good!

@smoszer I appreciate you guys taking the helm on this and apologize for the oversight in getting staff members in the review process. I didn't realize that we were absent from it! As a fellow GML, I too appreciate more clear writing that's for sure! :D If you can get those references for me that are clearer that'll help ease my mind and we can proceed.

• Thanks 1
On 2/5/2024 at 11:24 AM, dewannawanga said:

So what is the next part on the list?

Howdy! I'll hop into the Back Armor this evening.

4 hours ago, dewannawanga said:

Sharing photos of my lvl 2 kama liner fabric me and a buddy made. The red is screen printed with several layers of ink. This built up the red on the fabric making the black cogs appear lower and embossed. 

20240205_132810 20240205_132836

I am so jealous of this fabric. I wish I would have been able to make it for my kama. My solution will work, but definitely not close to the same level of cool.

• Like 1

I'm going to finalize this for the Kama:

Kama

• The exterior is divided into 4 large panels and has the following details:
    • Three small pleated panels, roughly 1.5 inches (40mm) per panel, of equal height are stacked vertically at the bottom of the Kama.
    • The rear center of the Kama has a slit that runs from the bottom and stops a third of the way from the top.
  • A red corded seam runs along the front edge on both sides and matches the red used on the armor.
  • The inner lining fabric has a pattern representing black cogs on a red background (vinyl material acceptable) and has the following details:
    • The inner lining is divided into 4 large panels that run top to bottom.
    • Black repeating cog pattern covers the entire interior.
      • Each row is offset from the row above and below and are roughly 1/2 inches (12.7mm) in diameter.

I think the Back Armor looks good with the text that was presented with a slight tweak for the slotting of the detail ridges like we did for the chest:

Back Armor

• Painted gloss black.
  • Backpack radio is permanently attached to back armor.
  • Chest and back armor match together at the sides with no gap and a seam line is present.
    • The connection between the chest and the back armor may be fabric, elastic, plastic or rubber, so as it closely matches the armor color.
  • Shoulder straps are slotted into the detail ridges of the top connection points or attached behind them.

• Shoulder straps must be slotted into the detail ridges of the top connection points.

I'll need to update the Chest Armor then to match what we have for the Back Armor then. I put that text in purple.

Back Armor

• Painted gloss black.
  • Backpack radio is permanently attached to back armor.
  • Chest and back armor match together at the sides via a connection piece:
    • The connection between the chest and the back armor may be fabric, elastic, plastic or rubber, so as it closely matches the armor color.
  • Shoulder straps are slotted into the detail ridges of the top connection points or attached behind them.

• Shoulder straps must be slotted into the detail ridges of the top connection points.
  • Like 1

For the Backpack Radio I was trying to see what we could see within the screen images but as we know, they are VERY hard to see. We can utilize the model images as supporting images for the basis of the CRL text and should place them within the gallery of the CRL (which is why I added a line about that).

Backpack Radio

• Backpack Radio is painted gloss black.
  • Please also reference the gallery images when referencing the below details.
  • Radio consists of a horizontal top panel and front panel and vertical side panels. Front and side lower panels angle inward to meet bottom panel.
  • The top plate has rectangular recessed area that includes the following details:
    • Clips on the left and right side appear to attach the backpack radio to back armor. The center of these clips have a screw, rivet, or similar method of attachment that is painted black and does not need to be functional.
    • A short, thick antenna with a funnel-like base is mounted on top left. 
    • Large slide switch near right of antenna base.
    • Next to slide switch is 1 long vertical rectangle, 2 shorter horizontal stacked rectangles and 1 long vertical rectangle.
    • Right of the long vertical rectangle is a raised cone shaped cylinder with a flat top and a recessed round button.
    • Next to the round button is a small vertical rectangular button.
    • A beveled edge runs around the outside of the top panel.
  • The front plate has the follow details:
    • Recessed band runs horizontally across center.
    • On the upper left side within the recessed band there is a square with shallow slope angled downwards.
    • Long horizontal recessed rectangle sits above 3 circular inset shapes. The rectangle is divided in half by a diagonal bar and is filled with recessed diagonal bars. The 3 circular inset shapes each have 2 inset rings.
    • Bottom angled panel has a circular button on bottom left corner.
  • The left side panel has the follow details:
    • Horizontal recessed band aligns with band on front and ends at raised side panel.
    • Raised side panel runs from the center of the bottom angled panel and extends just above the top panel.
    • Slightly raised vertical rectangle with 5 equally spaced horizontal raised rectangles with beveled bottoms.
    • Horizontal rectangular red lens at bottom of side panel. The lens may be painted to give the effect it is lit or it may be electronically lit producing a steady, non-blinking, light that is red in color.
  • The right side panel has horizontal recessed band that aligns with recessed band on front. 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Horizontal rectangular red lens at bottom of side panel of backpack is lit using LEDs or the equivalent, in a steady, non-flashing manner.
  • Like 1

That looks good. Here are some photos of my radio. I still have to make the dial greeblie. This is the jinta studios kit witch is said to be made as a direct copy of the 3d files made by FBFX for the purge trooper. Sharing incase they help with any specific details.

20230912_214015 20230912_214023

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Ryan.  Unless we see more of these guys on screen in the near future, I don't think we'll get closer than that.

Cheers for the extra images Brent, this has definitely been the most challenging CRL I've worked on due to the reliance we've had on non-screen references.  Without yourself, Scott, and all the others chipping in here, we would have never got so far.  Also, nice models in the background there 😉  That a Mark V?

• Like 1

The amazing thing is that Brent and I have very similar kits that have come from different studios. Mine from Yosh and his from Jinta. Brent has had an incredible eye for detail and we've been scouring the internet, and I've watched Kenbi scenes with the pause button wearing out. Lol. Our backpacks are exactly the same in every way but the control panel on top. We both have a large, short antenna on the left as your looking at the back. The other knobs and switches are different. Mine are similar to the hot toys scaled toy. This is where we'll have to either dig deeper by contacting the 501st members that were on the show (that we worked with on the helmet) or see if we can get verification from someone at FBFX. Otherwise what would be our options?

• Like 2

Thank you for those extra images! I can see about moving forward on the next piece. With regards to the details, if we can't see it on the screen then we can use the action figures/models as the supplementary reference and we take the closest matching amongst the models.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2024 at 3:51 AM, tipperaryred said:

Great stuff Ryan.  Unless we see more of these guys on screen in the near future, I don't think we'll get closer than that.

Cheers for the extra images Brent, this has definitely been the most challenging CRL I've worked on due to the reliance we've had on non-screen references.  Without yourself, Scott, and all the others chipping in here, we would have never got so far.  Also, nice models in the background there 😉  That a Mark V?

Sure is! It's the meng kit with the full interior. Took me over 2 years to build lol.

• Like 2

Onto the Abdomen Armor now! I see that it is pretty much identical to the P2 realistic armor, so this makes sense why it was derived from that.

Abdomen Armor

• Armor is painted gloss black.
  • Two inset lines divide the abdomen armor into segments.
  • Four holes, approximately ¼ inch (6.35mm) in diameter, are present in each inset line.
  • Abdomen armor wraps around the wearer’s body and is sealed at the sides or back.
  • Abdomen armor is completely contained under the chest and back armor.

Looks pretty good. I don't know if it's worth mentioning but the new one goes together in a corset style like the new TKs. Also should we mention the back cover plate with the ab plate or with the belt? I've attached some reference photos of mine and another one to show more detail.

20231015_185310 20231012_000259 Screenshot_20230909_231736_Chrome Screenshot_20230909_231537_Chrome Screenshot_20230909_231529_Chrome