Purge Trooper (Phase II) - Kenobi - Discussion

I'm guessing that FBFX made this kit as well? CTD just released their Mandalorian 501st Trooper CRL so I see those references that you posted were most likely the CRL phones before they were edited into that armor. I'm having a hard time seeing that in the images from the screen which is a small issue as the figurines/action figures don't have that "trauma plate" as I like to call it (from the R1 stuff). That CRL has the abdomen armor and front belt combined and then a separate section with the kidney armor and back belt. I don't think we need to specifically have those just like CTD though, since we are talking about one plate. I do believe that we should make it so that it connects only in the back, that is going to look at lot cleaner for most proportions and body types.

Abdomen Armor

• Armor is painted gloss black.
  • Two inset lines divide the abdomen armor into segments.
  • Four holes, approximately ¼ inch (6.35mm) in diameter, are present in each inset line.
  • Abdomen armor is completely contained under the chest and back armor.
  • Abdomen armor wraps around the wearer’s body and connects at the rear via a rectangular kidney armor plate which covers any visible seams.
    • There is no visible method of attachment for this kidney armor plate.
    • The kidney armor plate is made of the same material as the rest of the armor and is painted to match.

@dewannawanga I don't see any issue with that date. After we get the text finally completed we'll get the images curated and trimmed out and start putting the text and images into the CRL. From there the LMOs will continue to review it all and make sure there is nothing standing out. When it passes that it'll get in the queue and worked out by the LMO team with the GMLs whose garrison you're in to get it added. I'm tagging @ionicdesign in this so that he sees the process, but I know he has been monitoring.

@jakebullet welcome! To keep this thread focused on the CRL creation, you may want to post in this thread for that :D :

• Like 2

Onto the Cod Armor and Posterior Armor, deriving this from standard clone FBFX stuff which actually aligns with the on screen and action figure images.

Cod Armor

• Cod armor hangs from abdomen armor, separated from the posterior armor.
  • Cod armor is triangular in shape with a soft bottom edge.
  • Cod features a trapezoidal groove on the bottom area.

The only thing I can say about the posterior armor is that I cannot see it in any of the on screen shots or even in the action figure images. It appears to be present based on the way the Kama is sitting on the on screen images, but we can't confirm details other than "FBFX" did it. That is why I put that text in red. I don't believe the omitting it from it will give us the look that we are seeking, but I could be wrong.

Posterior Armor

• Posterior armor hangs from kidney armor, separated from the cod armor.
  • Armor features raised circular details on either corner facing closest to the cod armor.
  • Armor features raised details in the center.
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure it was there under the kama. You can tell there is something under the kama giving it shape. If it wasn't there the kama would look off in the back. On mine I just hung it from my main garter belt so it will sit under the kama and give it shape. Here is a photo of mine. 

Screenshot_20240221_235405_Gallery

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree that without the posterior armor it would not look right. My concern is that we can't really require specific details on the armor if we can't see it. Not sure if any of the inside people have any information on this.

On 2/23/2024 at 3:30 AM, IcyTrooper said:

Yeah, I agree that without the posterior armor it would not look right. My concern is that we can't really require specific details on the armor if we can't see it. Not sure if any of the inside people have any information on this.

Yes, if there's no visual reference for it my instinct would be to leave the wording as open as possible.  If more comes to light later, we can always make a tweak, or just add it in as Lvl2 detail.

• Thanks 1

I think we are good with both. For the Posterior Armor I think keeping the raised center part is good based on keeping the Kama look with what we see:

Posterior Armor

• Posterior armor hangs from kidney armor, separated from the cod armor.
  • Armor features raised details in the center.

We can push onto the next one which is the Belt. I'm also thinking that we split up the Thermal Detonator into another entry.

Belt

• Belt is painted gloss black.
  • Eight boxes are painted gloss black and two are painted gloss red to match the red found on other armor pieces.
  • Belt has is flat surfaced with raised edging on top and bottom that run along the remainder of the belt.
  • Front of belt has three vertical rectangular indents which are spaced apart by two raised rectangular smaller boxes. Left side box is red and the right side box is black.
  • The remaining eight belt boxes are attached with four on each side.
    • The two largest boxes in front are angled with top surface higher toward the center. There is a reversed "U-shaped" indention on the top half of the box with two horizontally recessed lines just below the indention.
    • There are two smaller boxes located on each outer side of the aforementioned largest boxes. These smaller boxes have a downward angular slope away from top to bottom. Each box has a small recessed square is located near the bottom edge. Recessed line runs through box just below the top of the square. The left side box is black and right side box is red.
    • There are two medium sized boxes that resemble a pouch with flap like top cover, one on each hip to the rear of the two aforementioned smaller boxes. A small raised rectangle runs near the bottom front of each box. There is a raised vertical rectangle on each side of each box.
    • There are two medium sized boxes on the rear of the belt on each side of the thermal detonator. Each of these boxes have two square buttons on the upper front corner of a larger raised rectangle. The bottom area is lower than the top area and sides of box angle up slightly. Two dashed indented marks appear near lower back corner on front of box closest to the thermal detonator.
  • The back of the belt behind the rear boxes may have horizontal ribbing.
  • A thermal detonator is centered and attached to back of belt.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• The back of the belt behind the rear boxes must have horizontal ribbing.

Thermal Detonator

• Thermal detonator is painted gloss black with the following details:
    • Detonator tube is about 2 1/4 inch (57.15mm) diameter with two wider detailed straps near the end caps.
    • Seven vertical rectangular buttons are on left side of tube, facing backwards.
    • Ends of the detonator have an inset circle. Rectangle shape cuts through circle and is slightly raised. Small round cap extends above rectangle.
  • Like 1

As far as the models go me and Scott are both available. My kit is done minus the soft parts witch I'm currently waiting on from IB. Once they show up I'm 100% done. My kit however  is built to LVL 2 standards and wasn't sure if this would be better or worse. Would it be better to reference a base line build or a lvl 2 build showing the more fine details? Just wanna make sure you guys have the photos from me or Scott for when you need them.

• Like 1
On 2/29/2024 at 2:43 PM, dewannawanga said:

As far as the models go me and Scott are both available. My kit is done minus the soft parts witch I'm currently waiting on from IB. Once they show up I'm 100% done. My kit however  is built to LVL 2 standards and wasn't sure if this would be better or worse. Would it be better to reference a base line build or a lvl 2 build showing the more fine details? Just wanna make sure you guys have the photos from me or Scott for when you need them.

I'd say whoever's armor we have had the cut out images (starting around page 13 of this thread) is probably the one for the CRL model.

For the next one we have the Thigh Armor which looked pretty good. I took a look at a realistic CTD CRL to see if we could shape it up a bit:

Thigh Armor

• Front of thigh armor has a flat triangle area above the knee which transitions to a ridge line that runs up the front of the thigh to the top edge.
  • Rear of armor has an indented area.
  • There should be a visible seam down the inside and outside of the armor.

I also dropped in the Knee Armor to get us finalized with that:

Knee Armor

• Knees have a protruding flat area in front oriented towards the top of knee.
  • Knees bend around the front and connect to black detail clips that connect the strap on each side.
  • A black colored strap, about 2 inches (50.8mm) wide, wraps around back of leg.

I'm redoing my helmet,  which is the exact same one as Brent's. I also am redoing the shin armor. It wasn't accurate on the back of the heel. I can have both done in the next 2 weeks. I'll have to figure out what other detail photos we have to take so I can get them shot and clipped out. Will that work for where we're at in our timing? Otherwise I can shift my focus. I'm currently wrapping up building my Patrol Trooper for approval  submission. 

Do we need to outline the material that is used for the knee strap? It looks to be rubber or silicon. Would it be okay for someone to use just black plastic or fabric? Should the material in the outline be set for just the level 2 approval? I don't know if we talked about this for the elbow strap too. But they should be written the same way since they both look like the same material/solution. 

2 hours ago, smoszer said:

Do we need to outline the material that is used for the knee strap? It looks to be rubber or silicon. Would it be okay for someone to use just black plastic or fabric? Should the material in the outline be set for just the level 2 approval? I don't know if we talked about this for the elbow strap too. But they should be written the same way since they both look like the same material/solution. 

Unless it has an incredibly obvious texture or shine to it, I'd be happy to allow any generic strap for basic clearance.  If there is some decent evidence that we're dealing with rubber/silicone rather than fabric, I'd agree to place that in Lvl2 as per your suggestion.

• Like 1

All of the references that we've been basing our decisions on, it looks too smooth,  and I can't see any texture that would indicate that it's fabric. The raised edges on the top and bottom look like it's made from one solid piece. The elbow and knee straps look like the same design and material. 

They were cast rubber. Being the same as the clones you can see them very well in the Adam savage video. My suggestion would be since the clones require that specific rubber strap it should be included in lvl one. I can send some detail photos of my straps for reference. The thickness can very from 1/8 thick to 1/4 thick. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, dewannawanga said:

Another option is for level 1 to allow just flat rubber straps and lvl 2 add the details of the strap like the ridges and stuff. 

I think this is the way to go for the straps, thanks folks

• Like 1

Great discussion for the Knee Armor, here are the changes:

Knee Armor

• Knees bend around the front and connect to black detail clips that connect the strap on each side.
  • A black colored rubber or rubber-like strap, about 2 inches (50.8mm) wide, wraps around back of leg.
    • The strap may be smooth or feature ridges the run the length of the strap on the outer edges.

• The strap features ridges the run the length of the strap on the outer edges.

I think this is what we are looking for?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

Great discussion for the Knee Armor, here are the changes:

Knee Armor

• Knees bend around the front and connect to black detail clips that connect the strap on each side.
  • A black colored rubber or rubber-like strap, about 2 inches (50.8mm) wide, wraps around back of leg.
    • The strap may be smooth or feature ridges the run the length of the strap on the outer edges.

• The strap features ridges the run the length of the strap on the outer edges.

I think this is what we are looking for?

Looks spot on.  Just a typo in two places maybe?  "ridges *that" run the length..." ?  Looks like it copied and pasted down into the optional part too 😉

• Thanks 1