BlueBantha Shadowtrooper "Final Photos"

Hi all! I recently finished up my shadow trooper kit from WTF, and wanted to post it here for some insight before I submit it for approval, and maybe for some help going forward! 

Although I've checked myself, any comments on aspects that may affect my approval would be greatly appreciated. I am aware my shoulders are slightly far away from the chest, but it is due to my broad shoulders rather than the kit. I trimmed NOTHING from the bells, and that's as close as they'll sit. The armor from the RoTJ molds seems to be smaller than that from the ANH molds. Im a larger guy, and the ANH one seems to fit better, but ill digress. Here are my pics!

81OEsi7.jpg

5VStc53.jpg

V6RrcrV.jpg

s0NRyQM.jpg

HWAxTsn.jpg

2P2WjAQ.jpg

ZzQlApK.jpg

May the force be with you!

• Like 3

Very good job! I can't really see the helmet details but there isn't anything major standing out! These are the only things I noticed:

Corrections:

• The two fasteners on the belt that hold the holster straps to the belt should be black and not silver.
  • The two leather/leather-like straps should be black, as it goes with the black leather scheming we have with it and as the CRL pic shows.

Suggestions:

• The shoulder bells aren't bad, but to improve appearance you may be able to heat them up a little to widen them so that they fit better, but I don't think that should prevent GML approval.

Simple things in the correction section. Great job!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Very good job! I can't really see the helmet details but there isn't anything major standing out! These are the only things I noticed:

Corrections:

• The two fasteners on the belt that hold the holster straps to the belt should be black and not silver.
  • The two leather/leather-like straps should be black, as it goes with the black leather scheming we have with it and as the CRL pic shows.

Suggestions:

• The shoulder bells aren't bad, but to improve appearance you may be able to heat them up a little to widen them so that they fit better, but I don't think that should prevent GML approval.

@IcyTrooper, thanks so much for getting back to me! Ill make those changes tomorrow, and reupload the pictures here for the "ok". After that, who should I contact?

• Like 2
15 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Corrections:

Suggestions:

@IcyTrooper, heres some updated photos. The photos of the backside looks odd, I was standing weird so the back isnt level, other than that, I fixed the things you mentioned!

sT6Tmp6.jpg

bVfi7HZ.jpg

jUapz2x.jpg

MUlu8Ke.jpg

9lciFJz.jpg

I07E2KK.jpg

46nDD0y.jpg

2MSw5TY.jpg

CLCzi7g.jpg

yq1anxm.jpg

4Aeg9DR.jpg

II0J5f8.jpg

Let me know what you think!

May the force be with you!

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 2:51 PM, IcyTrooper said:

Looks good! You'll reach out to your garrison/outpost membership liaison now to submit!

So big bummer this morning

I was not approved, and it looks like I cant be. They said due to the nature and size of the suit, it wont be approvable. My limbs are rather long, and the gaps are too large. This being the case, Im selling this current suit, and will need to buy another one, one larger than WTF. Ive found black plastic armor vendors are few and far between, so any guidance in finding a new kit would be appreciated!

2 hours ago, bluebantha said:

So big bummer this morning

I was not approved, and it looks like I cant be. They said due to the nature and size of the suit, it wont be approvable. My limbs are rather long, and the gaps are too large. This being the case, Im selling this current suit, and will need to buy another one, one larger than WTF. Ive found black plastic armor vendors are few and far between, so any guidance in finding a new kit would be appreciated!

Oh that's horse poop! You're telling us that the gap between your forearms and biceps is too much? What Garrison are you in? I'd go look at the other Shadows in your Garrison and I bet you see some worse looking suits than yours? Body size should not be a discriminator! 

Put some foam in your forearms and move them up closer to your biceps and your photo will look just like the CRL photo. Same gap at the elbows and at the wrists.

WTH.jpg

• Like 1

Im shocked it didnt get a base approval as well.  Garrison?

The suggestion by @Chaos is solid.  Foam in the forearms so theyre a bit more snug so you can adjust where they sit a bit better.

Id attempt the minor adjustment and a resubmission before moving on from it

• Like 2

I'm interested to see the exact feedback that was given. While we cannot approve costumes at the detachment level when the costume is allowed to be GML approved we can also offer insight to the garrison if requested. Personally, I can find no reason why this wasn't approved. Hell, I'd even encourage a L2 submission (when approved) to see where you are at.

You can link them to this thread if you'd like and see if they have any other general questions. As @Chaos mentioned, body type SHOULD NOT be a discriminator for the costume. I'm 6' 2" and mine looks exactly like yours and to be honest, we look MORE like the action figures (I'm lanky!) ;)

I would do what @Chaos said and get some foam in there to raise them up if that is the gripe. Was there anything specifically that they said? I would advise against selling this kit and try what was mentioned above and see if it can pass the muster. Your kit is good and I have reviewed tons of shadow stormtroopers and I'm a GML for my garrison to boot.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, nanotek said:

@bluebantha I cannot see why you would not be approved for this costume. 

Please allow us to reach out to your GML, I have sent you a PM to confirm. Thanks

Thanks for working with me on this. Felt a bit odd, but seeing as this is my first costume, I didn't want to mess with the authority.

1 hour ago, IcyTrooper said:

I'm interested to see the exact feedback that was given. While we cannot approve costumes at the detachment level when the costume is allowed to be GML approved we can also offer insight to the garrison if requested. Personally, I can find no reason why this wasn't approved. Hell, I'd even encourage a L2 submission (when approved) to see where you are at.

You can link them to this thread if you'd like and see if they have any other general questions. As @Chaos mentioned, body type SHOULD NOT be a discriminator for the costume. I'm 6' 2" and mine looks exactly like yours and to be honest, we look MORE like the action figures (I'm lanky!) ;)

I would do what @Chaos said and get some foam in there to raise them up if that is the gripe. Was there anything specifically that they said? I would advise against selling this kit and try what was mentioned above and see if it can pass the muster. Your kit is good and I have reviewed tons of shadow stormtroopers and I'm a GML for my garrison to boot.

Thanks for the kind words, and for the encouragement. I was very sad when I got this info on Thursday, but this is all making me feel a bit more confident. I do agree with their assessment that there are gaps on my costume that are larger than others, its just the nature of my height, but I disagree with the comment that it is entirely too small. If you are interested in hearing more or talking about this, Id be happy to speak to you via PM. Again, I appreciate the encouragement. Ive been working on costumes since middle school, my first kit being an Anovos kit when I was 13. Im 19 now, and am hoping to have this be my first approved costume

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, bluebantha said:

Thanks for the kind words, and for the encouragement.  Ive been working on costumes since middle school, my first kit being an Anovos kit when I was 13. Im 19 now, and am hoping to have this be my first approved costume

Since you are tall, when you think about your next costume, I suggest the Death Trooper. I'd love to see more badass DTs in our ranks. Hold your head up with pride, you did a great job on your kit! Your Shadow is way better than my first Shadow, hands down. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Chaos said:

Since you are tall, when you think about your next costume, I suggest the Death Trooper. I'd love to see more badass DTs in our ranks. Hold your head up with pride, you did a great job on your kit! Your Shadow is way better than my first Shadow, hands down. 

That's a costume I've always had an eye on, so ill certainly keep that in mind going forward!

13 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

On 8/4/2022 at 2:03 PM, Chaos said:

Oh that's horse poop! You're telling us that the gap between your forearms and biceps is too much? What Garrison are you in? I'd go look at the other Shadows in your Garrison and I bet you see some worse looking suits than yours? Body size should not be a discriminator! 

Put some foam in your forearms and move them up closer to your biceps and your photo will look just like the CRL photo. Same gap at the elbows and at the wrists.

WTH.jpg

I took the advice both of you gave me, and made some changes which I hope makes this look a bit better. Forearms have been moved up, biceps have been moved down. The kidney was brough up so it touches the bottom of my back armor, and the shoulders have been heated so they sit a bit closer to the chest and back armor. Admittedly, I wish the thighs sat up a bit higher, but to be perfectly honest, they don't look too far off. This is still a work in progress in regards to approval, but in my personal amateur opinion, this is pretty damn close. Let me know what you all think.

fxp5AZO.jpg

o6obZPz.jpg

BLC1kR7.jpg

oiLGUpy.jpg

i0hB8bj.jpg

2JxiUm0.jpg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, bluebantha said:

I took the advice both of you gave me, and made some changes which I hope makes this look a bit better. Forearms have been moved up, biceps have been moved down. The kidney was brough up so it touches the bottom of my back armor, and the shoulders have been heated so they sit a bit closer to the chest and back armor. Admittedly, I wish the thighs sat up a bit higher, but to be perfectly honest, they don't look too far off. This is still a work in progress in regards to approval, but in my personal amateur opinion, this is pretty damn close. Let me know what you all think.

fxp5AZO.jpg

o6obZPz.jpg

BLC1kR7.jpg

oiLGUpy.jpg

i0hB8bj.jpg

2JxiUm0.jpg

Great job staying positive and working on the feedback, I hope that you're able to join us soon.

• Like 2

@bluebantha Just for record here as a sorts of "pre-approval", but I have reviewed your costume from a detachment level with the L1 (basic) requirements found in the following CRL: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TX_shadow_stormtrooper

• Helmet
    • No corrections required.
  • Neck Seal
  • Under Suit
  • Shoulder Straps
  • Shoulder Armor
    • Suggestion for improved look (will not effect approval): May want to see about slightly opening up the shoulder armor via heat or other methods (be careful) so that they don't "squeeze" the biceps which in turn pushed the shoulder bells out. However, over time wearing the costume it may do that on its own, so you may want to elect to do that. Again, be careful because heat can be very quick to ruin a costume.
  • Biceps
  • Forearms
    • Suggestion for improved look (will not effect approval) was taken by you to move the forearms up a bit on your arm. Very nice.
  • Hand Plates
  • Gloves
  • Chest Armor
  • Back Armor
  • Abdomen Armor
    • Correction required: I just noticed that your center button panel is upside down, flip it 180 degrees. [THIS HAS BEEN CORRECTED WITH THE NEW PICS ON 08/08/2022]
  • Kidney Armor
  • Posterior Armor
  • Belt
    • Suggestion for improved look (will not effect approval), see about making sure it doesn't dip down so far on the middle of your abdomen plate and is closer to that center button.
  • Thermal Detonator
  • Holster
  • Thigh Armor
  • Lower Leg Armor
  • Boots

Here are the images for the button plate:

Yours: abplatebutton.PNG.a2d1d2e2836e7a939f205e47d6faa9a9.PNG vs CRL: crlbutton.PNG.395ab3062695c73050b9462e164f31c5.PNG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

@bluebantha Just for record here as a sorts of "pre-approval", but I have reviewed your costume from a detachment level with the L1 (basic) requirements found in the following CRL: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TX_shadow_stormtrooper

• Helmet
  • Neck Seal
  • Under Suit
  • Shoulder Straps
  • Shoulder Armor
    • Suggestion for improved look (will not effect approval): May want to see about slightly opening up the shoulder armor via heat or other methods (be careful) so that they don't "squeeze" the biceps which in turn pushed the shoulder bells out. However, over time wearing the costume it may do that on its own, so you may want to elect to do that. Again, be careful because heat can be very quick to ruin a costume.
  • Biceps
  • Forearms
    • Suggestion for improved look (will not effect approval) was taken by you to move the forearms up a bit on your arm. Very nice.
  • Hand Plates
  • Gloves
  • Chest Armor
  • Back Armor
  • Abdomen Armor
    • Correction required: I just noticed that your center button panel is upside down, flip it 180 degrees.
  • Kidney Armor
  • Posterior Armor
  • Belt
    • Suggestion for improved look (will not effect approval), see about making sure it doesn't dip down so far on the middle of your abdomen plate and is closer to that center button.
  • Thermal Detonator
  • Holster
  • Thigh Armor
  • Lower Leg Armor
  • Boots

Here are the images for the button plate:

Yours: abplatebutton.PNG.a2d1d2e2836e7a939f205e47d6faa9a9.PNG vs CRL: crlbutton.PNG.395ab3062695c73050b9462e164f31c5.PNG

Changes have been made and updated photos will be posted tomorrow morning!

Slightly off topic, but for those who like the accessories with their TX, are you limited to the ANH style shoulder pauldron, or are the angled RO style ones allowed?

Hello, my name is Carter Sachse, and I'm requesting pre-approval for my Shadow Trooper

1. Name - Carter Sachse

2. Future Garrison - Garrison Carida (Eastern Pennsylvania)

3. Armor Maker - Walt's Trooper Factory (built by me)

4. Helmet Maker - Walt's Trooper Factory (built by Walt)

5. Belt Maker - Trooper Bay

6. Neck Seal Maker - Darman Props

7. Boot Maker - Kenneth Cole on Amazon

8. E-11 Blaster Maker - Unknown (3D printed and painted by me)

9. Height - 6'2"

10. Weight - 205 lbs.

11. TX Type - TX Shadowtrooper

WECgRWF.jpg

HEZ0t63.jpg

DO5jqW9.jpg

3vLmt48.jpg

v2i8J4d.jpg

q8xCE5a.jpg

VzKK6DO.jpg

ecs2uFu.jpg

pOJH0tw.jpg

• Like 3
22 hours ago, bluebantha said:

Changes have been made and updated photos will be posted tomorrow morning!

Slightly off topic, but for those who like the accessories with their TX, are you limited to the ANH style shoulder pauldron, or are the angled RO style ones allowed?

The above pics look good and I recommend for approval.

As for the quoted information that I have in this post. The pauldron should match what is seen in the CRL pic, which is more of an ANH style. I believe the RO ones have more of curvature and padding is segmented more.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

The above pics look good and I recommend for approval.

As for the quoted information that I have in this post. The pauldron should match what is seen in the CRL pic, which is more of an ANH style. I believe the RO ones have more of curvature and padding is segmented more.

Awesome. That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to confirm. Thanks!

• Like 3

Carter has directed me to this thread. I am the current GML for Garrison Carida in Eastern Pennsylvania. 

Carter's submission was reviewed by myself and our staff of eleven Academy Advisors. I'd welcome the chance to discuss this costume with the Spec-Ops Command Staff. For privacy reasons, I would like to move the discussion off this public thread, as local review information is protected.

Please let me know your preferred method, perhaps through PM or via the Legion GML costume review forum. Spec-Ops has assisted greatly in the past in both costume reviews at the GML forum, as well as personal advice on my own Spec-Ops builds. As a GML staff we certainly want to consider the Detachment's advice. 

• Like 1
On 8/5/2022 at 11:30 PM, bluebantha said:

Thanks for working with me on this. Felt a bit odd, but seeing as this is my first costume, I didn't want to mess with the authority.

Dont fear the "authority".  Its a plastic spaceman club.  Hell, Look at me! Seriously go check out my Legion profile. Im a Spec Ops CRL model, first Engineer in the Legion.  Body shaming doesnt cut it with me. 

• Like 1
On 8/10/2022 at 11:45 AM, HaringJr said:

Carter has directed me to this thread. I am the current GML for Garrison Carida in Eastern Pennsylvania. 

Carter's submission was reviewed by myself and our staff of eleven Academy Advisors. I'd welcome the chance to discuss this costume with the Spec-Ops Command Staff. For privacy reasons, I would like to move the discussion off this public thread, as local review information is protected.

Please let me know your preferred method, perhaps through PM or via the Legion GML costume review forum. Spec-Ops has assisted greatly in the past in both costume reviews at the GML forum, as well as personal advice on my own Spec-Ops builds. As a GML staff we certainly want to consider the Detachment's advice. 

I have PM'd you