TK 21814's Purge Trooper Build - Electrostaff Version

This post is to catalogue my build of the Purge Trooper Electrostaff Variant. This character proved difficult in Jedi Fallen Order and I am drawn to bringing it to life. I am a Centurion Level ANH Stunt TK and this is my first 'Clone' build. I will gladly accept any hints, advice, or links to other posts to guide me in building a proper Clone. My Build was originally posted on the Clone Trooper Detachment but will now be hosted here. My build goal is to correct errors in the current CRL and build the finest Electrostall Purge Trooper possible.

Below are my Parts List:

Armor: 850 Armorworks

Handplates and Knee clips: Imperial Surplus

Boots: Crowprops

Helmet: Galactic Armory

Helmet Vovoder: Calvin Kam file, scaled to fit GA Bucket

Undersuit: Custom Build

Ammo Boxes: Ruthar's files from Clone Detachment

Gloves: Amazon

Red Visor: Kalevala

Suspenders: Amazon

Belt for Thigh Straps: Amazon

Visor light: Amazon

Clear shield: Amazon

Helmet padding: Amazon

Pauldron: Christopher Speer

Fans: ukswrath's Cooling Fan Kit from whitearmor.net

My pictures from the Clone Detachment that contains the reference pictures from the game have been moved to this forum.

Cheers, Brad

• Like 3

To begin my Electrostaff, I grabbed some screen shots, and other pics I found online. Thankfully folks are taking some good shots of this trooper! Below are some of the images I am using to build my Electrostaff.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

With some scaling and tracing, I created a CAD file for basic layout and sizing, so I could go shopping in my local Plumbing Supply shop for parts. My staff will be close to this, but the sizing of available fittings and parts will dictate the ultimate length and details, so don't take what's below as 100% accurate.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Deciding the route of electricity. Got to finalize the route before painting & weathering can be completed. Yes, I plan to have lighted purple-electricity!

spacer.png

Electrostaff is nearing completion. Only wiring is left. I also have to determine a transportation case. It breaks down into 3 pieces.

The ends are 1/2" thick rubber instead of an accurate material and size (which would have been 1/8" steel/aluminum). I did this to allow me to set the staff on the ground or lean it or hit something without damaging something, or injuring someone should the end ever come into contact with someone. #consafety

spacer.png

• Like 2

I originally had a 3D printed helmet from Calvin Kam, however it needed to be printed at 110% sizing to pit my head. It ended up looking way too big, so I switched to files from Galactic Armory.

spacer.png

Unboxing of the BBB ... 850 Armor Works Realistic Clone kit in Black ABS with Black Rubber Belt. I will begin some general shaping, trimming, and edge softening while My undersuit comes together.

spacer.png

• Like 1

For an easy start, I'm bringing the shoulder bells into spec. Bell on the left is as supplied. Bell on the right is trimmed (oversized) and sanded, ready for primer. I'll trim it down to final once I have more complete.

The tailored shoulder bell shape is missing from the CRL.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Completing some surface work on the abs armor, as every piece has imperfections. The satin black paint will show ripples, indents, bumps, etc, so I'm looking to get all the individual parts smooth before joining them together. I can't do that until my under suit is done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Also, working on the bucket. Smoothing 3D printed items is a onerous task, but I am getting very close to paint now. I found this drywall patch screen that is perfect for reinforcing the joint in by helmet (printed in 2 pieces). It's now bondo's, smoothed, and plasti-dipped black. Visor mounts are also installed.

Here's a picture of the drywall repair patch before all the interior helmet finish work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's a side by side of my two buckets. On the left is the Galactic Armory printed at 100%. On the right is the Calvin Kam printed at 110%. I will finish both, but will only be installing helmet fans etc in the GA bucket, as I will be wearing that one. The GA bucket is ready for it's first coat of paint. The CK bucket needs finish sanding.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Here's the undersuit at 80% complete. Once I've sized my armor, I can then go back and cut in mesh where it will not be seen. The bottom edge of the shirt is currently not finished, so I'll have to finalize the length as well. I may have to bring the shoulders of the bib in too, but I'll have to see how the armor interacts with it. It's comfortable and not being pleather, it's not brutally hot either. Time to trim some ABS and suit up with some painters tape!

spacer.png

• Like 2

I ordered in a buckle which I have started to build towards the in-game model. Some more fussing to do, but this is the start.

spacer.png

1.5" Brass Centre Bar Buckle

spacer.png

Remove the prong

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rough cut of aluminum for the small panel on the buckle

spacer.png

My buckle is almost finished. Some silver paint and some black felt (so it doesn't scuff on my armor) and it will be done. This was harder to create than it looks. The buckle is missing from the CRL.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I've got about half of the armor joined together and once all done, I'll post a tape up fill kit to see where I stand. For now, I'll temp you with the fine details of a Purge Trooper knee plate. 

The knee plate is not a standard realistic clone piece, as it differs from inner leg to outer leg. The outer leg side has straight edges from the central rib, and the plate does not extend towards the back of the knee where the clip attaches. Note where the clip attaches, that the knee plate is a straight cut up-and-down. The bottom edge features a "high-arc" cut in it. I mention this because the inner leg side is different. The CRL is missing the details of the knee plates.

spacer.png

The inner leg side of the knee plate has a curved top edge (vs the outer's straight), and the plate protrudes further back towards the back of the leg. This side of the knee plate is actually longer than the outside. Note that where the clip connects, there is a gentle curve in the plate. Also note the "low-arc" cut at the bottom of the knee plate.

spacer.png

The top-down view below illustrates the differing lengths between the inner leg side vs the outer leg side. The inner side is definitely longer, which confirms that the outer side has that straight cut where the clip attaches, effectively lopping off the portion of the knee plate that would have extended back towards the back of the knee per a standard trooper.

spacer.png

Image below shows the standard knee plate rough trimmed on the left, and a purge trooper on the right. This view highlights the details of the inner leg side.

spacer.png

Image below shows the standard knee plate rough trimmed on the left, and a purge trooper on the right. This view highlights the details of the outer leg side.

spacer.png

Image below shows the standard knee plate rough trimmed on the left, and a purge trooper on the right. This view highlights the different lengths of the inner and outer sides of the knee. The longer side is the inner, the shorter side is the outer. Note the locations where the clips will attach. The inner has the gentle curve. The outer has the straight cut.

spacer.png

• Like 2

It's all about the details. A Purge Trooper's compad is slightly different than standard. Reference pic and my forearm (in primer) shown below. Rubber compads are great for their flexibility, but a pain to finish.

spacer.png

Mine, at 80%. Still messing with that small groove. The addition to the side of the compad is missing from the CRL.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Brilliant to see another hugely detailed build thread up, thanks a million Brad. This will be a huge help for any necessary CRL revisions, and in inspiring other builders. I'll also be curious to see the evolution to the P2 Purge Trooper and see how your's and Chris' work informs that CRL.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

• Like 1

Great thread! Im glad we got to see your scaling efforts, you are using Armorsmith?  I will remember that mesh trick for when I start assembling a helmet I am printing. 

The two helmet files are clearly different, both in original size and how they are laid out, I have to see, I prefer the GA file over the enlarged CK file, just from the look of it. 

• 2 months later...

Prior to the weather turning I got everything painted. Below are some pics showing my chevron masking. The tape is long to show my visual placement vs the images from the in-game model.

Also, the CRL references light grey chevons. I believe they are actually white. In the pictures below they look grey'ish due to the photo mode with a digital spotlight.

Thigh. The inner end of the chevons appear to align with a projected point from the knee triangle.

spacer.png

Back of the thigh.

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bucket is getting closer. Helmet padding and some interior finishing to be completed. Fans are installed. Visor does light up, but I'm not satisfied with the output so I might rebuild the visor.

Pics...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Note the squared off detail at the base of the helmet dome is a different tone of satin black. This is missing from the CRL.

Here's a ref pic with a strong light to illustrate the difference in blacks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Red blocks missing from CRL

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Note, the "fins" on the vocoder are missing from the CRL.

I'm really happy how this 3D printed helmet came out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting on the details, as you know, we inherited this costume from CTD and all CRLs are living and breathing documents. I'd be happy to start the process of a possible CRL update with any new-found/discovered details that would further enhance the costume!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Belt Clip & Kama Straps

Ref Pic from in-game

spacer.png

Mine

spacer.png

The straps are free to slide in the belt clip. They won't come off as the leather strap prevents them from moving far enough. I added a hinge to the drop bracket to add some flexibility to setup. The hinge will be hidden behind the belt and (I hope) will reduce possible wear on the cod armor while improving my overall mobility/flexibility.

CRL Items:

The straps in the game appear to be leather

The Belt Clip in the CRL is incorrect.

Belt Kama clips have beveled edges.