DoggyDoc’s Jimmiroquai Imperial Death Trooper Build Thread

I am noticing another discrepancy between the images in the photo reference library and the CRL as well as screen shots. 

The red highlights on the barrel and the stock are slightly different. I followed the photos of the blaster in the reference library images.  Will this be okay, or do I need to repaint them?

Photo reference library picture

KTP6a4b.jpg

CRL photo

aES5TIg.jpg

Screen shot

JQL5FVn.jpg

SWCE display

MAc34oO.jpg

My blaster

Q4h2rSu.jpg

@Lt. Dan @Chaos Thank you both again for helping to clarify this. It looks like the one that I modelled mine from may have been from the Mandalorian episode. I think I may change the red markings still though because it is going to bug mE. LOL

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DoggyDoc said:

Blaster is complete, please let me know if you see anything that looks incorrect. 

fqGaZr0.jpg

That looks amazing, were it mine, the only thing I would do is change the red rubber switch cover to black on the counter, and paint the laser pointer wires both black.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Chaos said:

That looks amazing, were it mine, the only thing I would do is change the red rubber switch cover to black on the counter, and paint the laser pointer wires both black.

I agree. This looks a lot better,  thanks for the recommendation

hx8JHPE.jpg

The 3 cm button EL panels came today and they work much better than the previous ones. I have a green gel filter over the EL panel to deepen the green.

KEwEkbp.jpg

bDVs49l.jpg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, DoggyDoc said:

Getting close. Just finishing up the helmet and hopefully will be doing submission photos in a few days. 

Did an upper body fit test today and was happy with everything. 

HMgnqTt.jpg

WRfpLWm.jpg

Looks great!  I'm about halfway through reading your process/progress.  Im looking at working on the same kit, so I'm going to be reading through your process in detail.  Thanks for the detailed postings!

• Like 2

@DoggyDoc, I see you 3D printed a number of things (straps, blaster, etc.).  They look very clean.  Do you have a resin printer or a filament printer?  What kind is it?

EDIT: As I continued reading, I realized that you used both a resin printer and filament on the straps.  

Which did you use for the blaster?

Edited by Mal86
On 3/4/2023 at 8:07 AM, DoggyDoc said:

Hey Kyle. @nanotek has a good guide for these. 

Here is a link for the holster

Here is the link for the Pouch.  The dimensions are listed on the CRL.

Progress update: Leather leather leather!

Warning I am a first timer with leather!

So I went to Leffler Leather last Friday on my day off to spend $$$ on leather and leather crafting tools. I picked up some leather, hole punch, dye, conditioner, rivets, snaps, and various tools to begin the works. 

I had to create a woodblock mould for one of the belt pouches. Was a fairly simple exercise except I got my measurements wrong the first time. However. I progressed with my second mould and with a little love and attention I got my first pouch. 

First you thoroughly soak the leather in water and then basically stretch and mould to the block. You need to trim excess gathering and it's a bit random but it works. Once you have the leather shaped you clamp it or tack it. I chose clamping. 

Then it's just wait for it to dry. 

I also had a crack at the speed strap for the SE-14r. Testing out skills...

tlrhLWA_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Last night I cut out the back/front flap and tried my hand at dyeing the leather:

UccHrd6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

I have plenty of leather left over so will continue making these until I have none left. If they're good enough I will sell some to recoup costs :)

I happy to post more detailed pics of the build later if anyone is interested.

I've done leather working (made bracers, breastplate, and some other stuff), but I haven't done anything that involves stitching yet.  Can you post some final pics of this and show where you stitched it?  I was struggling to understand the CRL: 

• There is a leather or leather-style pouch, approximate dimensions 4.75" x 2.25" x 1" (120mm x 60mm x 25mm), with a single press stud and no visible stitching located between front pouch and the belt box on the wearer's left.
2 hours ago, Mal86 said:

I see you 3D printed a number of things (straps, blaster, etc.).  They look very clean.  Do you have a resin printer or a filament printer?  What kind is it?

EDIT: As I continued reading, I realized that you used both a resin printer and filament on the straps.  

Which did you use for the blaster?

Yes. I have both filament and resin printers. The shoulder straps and the barrel of the E 11D were printed on the filament printer. I used TPU for the shoulder straps as the Tenacious flexible resin was not soft and flexible enough. The barrel was printed using PETG and I used the filament printer as the pieces were too big for the resin one. Everything else including all parts for the SE-14R blaster were printed on the resin printer. 

2 hours ago, Mal86 said:

I've done leather working (made bracers, breastplate, and some other stuff), but I haven't done anything that involves stitching yet.  Can you post some final pics of this and show where you stitched it?  I was struggling to understand the CRL: 

There is actually no stitching on the leather pouch. It is just 2 pieces of leather glued together. The front piece that is molded around the wooden form and the back/flap which is glued to the back of the front piece and folds up over the top to create the flap. 

1 hour ago, DoggyDoc said:

There is actually no stitching on the leather pouch. It is just 2 pieces of leather glued together. The front piece that is molded around the wooden form and the back/flap which is glued to the back of the front piece and folds up over the top to create the flap. 

That's interesting.  I didn't consider that.  My initial thoughts had been to stretch the leather over a mold, have a little extra and tuck it under the back/flap and stitch it from behind.  I'll investigate glue options.  Everything leather that I've made thus far as been connected with snaps, rivets, or eyelets.