DoggyDoc’s Jimmiroquai Imperial Death Trooper Build Thread

I decided to redo the tusks on the helmet to allow for easier placement of the EL panel to light it up.  The ones that came with the kit seem to be a different shape from the screen used ones and would be very hard to rig up with the EL panel. 

My first attempt was too squared off, so I redid them a bit smaller, angled down slightly and rounder. 

MDTTMhF.jpg

u4MiB0s.jpg

Se48N35.jpg

RJg0vOO.jpg

Do these look ok, or are they still just a bit too large?

I went ahead and printed a slightly smaller set of tusks, and I think these look closer to the screen used ones.

bBc7wsz.jpg

Here are the 3 versions I have printed. The lower right is the one I think looks best.

UabtjWO.jpg

• Like 3

Started paint today. First primer and filler coat is on. Will touch up sand and fill then reprise before starting the black. 

Set up a tent outside to reduce mess and smell in the basement. 
AVSUVoW.jpg

Went with dupli-color primer and filler instead of the tremclad I have used before. Seems to work a bit better with less splatter. 

BUPJqz6.jpg

First coat done  

6bFN3PD.jpg

• Like 3

Working on the lighting in the tusks. I had planned to use EL panels, but the ones with the wire that can tuck into the tusk are too small, and the size up ones have a big port in the corner for the power wire that can not be hidden.  

I switched to an LED diode and did a test run on one of the trial tusks that I won’t be using.  I diffused the bulb by wrapping it in white tissue paper (green LED) and filled the space between the green filter and the light source with opaque hot glue.  The diffusion works well,but there is still a right spot in the centre.  

Is this ok, or is there a better way to do this?

yzhmVdx.jpg

qRMBwwv.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting that they did not fit. Which El Panel's did you order? The round ones?

For the current setup, maybe you can test it with so called Gel Filters in green (on Amazon). Never tested it, but read in the forums some using it to diffuse the light and cover up a bit the center light of the bulb.

9 hours ago, TookBreaker said:

Interesting that they did not fit. Which El Panel's did you order? The round ones?

I actually ordered the rectangular ones.  Maybe I need to look at the round ones?

I actually have a green Gel filter on there as well. 

• Like 1

Big day of painting today. Got the black completed on the E-11D, as well as all of the armour pieces except the helmet, chest and ab pieces.  Tomorrow it will be silver on the helmet, then the black on the helmet, ab and chest, then clear coat. Getting close now. 

DacvQ4M.jpg

dNHVyBY.jpg

syOW3ZT.jpg

• Like 2
On 8/20/2023 at 7:20 AM, DoggyDoc said:

Working on the lighting in the tusks. I had planned to use EL panels, but the ones with the wire that can tuck into the tusk are too small, and the size up ones have a big port in the corner for the power wire that can not be hidden. 

Is this ok, or is there a better way to do this?

Gerald,

To be honest, the only CRL requirement is this "Each tusk may be optionally fitted with back lighting which is green when illuminated."

Since we never see them illuminated in the movie, it really shouldn't have been a CRL requirement. I remember seeing one scene in the cave that was cut from the movie where they were illuminated and of course there is the concept art which has them illuminated. To be honest even it has a bright spot it doesn't matter, my Anovos helmet which was designed from an original helmet has 5mm holes in the tusks for an LED to be inserted, so that tells me they used LEDS and not light panels. Save your money, and go with what you did here. That's how mine looks.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2023 at 11:37 AM, DoggyDoc said:

Started paint today. First primer and filler coat is on. Will touch up sand and fill then reprise before starting the black. 

Set up a tent outside to reduce mess and smell in the basement. 
AVSUVoW.jpg

Went with dupli-color primer and filler instead of the tremclad I have used before. Seems to work a bit better with less splatter. 

BUPJqz6.jpg

First coat done  

6bFN3PD.jpg

What a smart idea to setup a little booth like that I definitely need to start doing this!!! Is the weather or just outside in general not a concern or do you plan around knowing you can paint on certain days?

7 hours ago, J47555 said:

Is the weather or just outside in general not a concern or do you plan around knowing you can paint on certain days?

I like this setup because it keeps the smell out of the house.  I have a booth in my basement as well but the house still smells afterwards.  This one helps with bugs and dust, but if it is windy, it can be a bit of a challenge.  If it is very windy or rainy, I don’t paint, but lately we have been lucky with the weather on days thatI have available for painting.  

• Like 1

Got the first coat of clear coat on most of the pieces. I had to touch up the black on a few pieces, so they will be getting clear coat tomorrow. 

pSlWciA.jpg

Also have been working on the E-11D  I just need a few screws that should be here in a few days to finish putting it together  I have the lights working in the back end of the barrel and put on the pinstripes but I am not happy with them  I bought the 1.4’’ one and should have used the 1/8” one.  I ordered the 1/8” roll and it should be here in a couple of days  

cqHJgMs.jpg

eccvutc.jpg

cNHglAq.jpg

ClLm3s0.jpg

tS6zhne.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DoggyDoc said:

should have used the 1/8” one

Yes Gerald, that should look way better, it is meant to be more than a pinstripe style!

Also, the decals on the left side of the blaster are set wrong. They have to be on top of the barrel. I´ve attached a pic of my blaster to clarify!

20201209_101934.thumb.jpg.35b4391b2301e33867cfbd7ce5ef59e9.jpg20201209_102005.thumb.jpg.b1316b757255caa66745571674285a30.jpg

Thank you @Lt. Dan

Looking at the reference pictures of the screen used blaster, I see the one on the top, but it looks like the left side pinstripe is there as well.

E-11D - 2.jpg

E-11D - 1.jpg

But this one does not show any striping on the left side.

Aj5ZTzx.jpg

It also looks like I missed a second stripe on the top of the back of the stock. 

OAzXeFz.jpg

So, is there one on the left, one on top and one on the right side of the front of the barrel or is the one on the left not supposed to be there?  

Also, should there be 2 sets of stripes on the stock?

In my opinion the blaster in the lower reference picture section is not correct. Look at the SWCE 2016 Display pics or the two close ups from Rogue One screen shots, there you can see the lining on top and on the right side of the barrel. Also the E-11D pics in the CRL "optional accesssory" section show the lining very clear. NO lining on the left side of the blaster! I have attached that picture and highlited the lining with yellow for better view. I got my lining set from @Chaos in the past and he delivered a visual guide how to attach the lining correctly.

Tx_imperial_death_trooper_e11d.thumb.jpg.53c3a85eee2f572376e58e34cd09fce3.jpg