Hoda's Soft Build

Link to CRL in progress.

Eventually I'll get to armor and printing the rifle :) 

• Like 1

Let's be real here, this is not really a "build" thread as it's really mostly just a ... "see what I did!" thread.

The soft parts for this costume is relatively easy. There are a few vendors out there making this suit, I happen to have gotten mine from Vince @ KeepTrooping (formerly ImperialBoots).

Eventually, KT will be offering Ferrix set as well (black version of this costume), so I look forward to that.

I WILL say, @sonfield turned me onto the Dylon dye pod, and it was the easiest dying job I have ever done (and I've dyed a lot of things in the past, mostly with RIT). This baby here, all you need to do is open the top, and drop them into the washing machine (follow instructions), and throw in your hat, trousers, and jacket, and you're good to go.

617d5k6gqML._AC_SL1239_.jpg

To ensure even-ess, what I did was pausing the wash cycle every once in a while to swirl the fabric around, to make sure you get good coverage. With their preset amount, you don't have to worry about ratios like when it comes to other powder dying approaches.

These are the suits after they came out of the wash, already looking pretty good

QZbWB6cl.jpgvYc2n7zl.jpg

I THINK eventually I might want them to be darker, but for now I'm satisfied!

• Like 3

Let's talk belts. 

One of the differences between these new non-OT Imperial belts, with the OT ones, is the code discs that people have on them. I know it's not usually super noticeable for most people, but I'm sometimes nitpicky with the details, so calling it out here.

The CRL text states this:

Buckle is adorned with an Rogue One type Code Disk without grooves at the center. The belt is worn above the top of the lower pocket flap top edge.                          

What does that mean? Well, it means this

DHQVmDel.jpg

No "grooves". The original code disc had grooves because they were turntable pulleys. Check out the specs here: https://tk3493.com/tie-armoury/tie-fighter-pilot-anh/imperial-code-disk/

See the difference?

• Like 1

Eric when I first joined you saw more of the no-- groove style Mitchell style greeblies than with the grooves. People were turning these in aluminum, or even back in those days stacking washers, and then making casts of them. I just found a whole scad of the casts I made all those years ago, with no grooves or center dimple.   

now you are ready for your E10.5 blaster! 

3 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Eric when I first joined you saw more of the no-- groove style Mitchell style greeblies than with the grooves. People were turning these in aluminum, or even back in those days stacking washers, and then making casts of them. I just found a whole scad of the casts I made all those years ago, with no grooves or center dimple.   

now you are ready for your E10.5 blaster! 

Dude I know! But now I feel like I'm seeing more of the groove ones. Crazy.

I'll get printing on the 10.5 one of these days ... need to get the ventilation sorted in the basement hahahaha don't want to accelerate dying 🤣