Spec Ops Group Build

LaziFox

I didn't clear coat mine as it actually dulls the gold paint. I brushed on a clear coat with my Nova Medic, and that worked great. You could always try on a spare bit of ABS to see if joy like the result. I haven't needed it with my Nova really.

Todd is right, I didn't use clearcoat either. Although, when I made the tube "Hash Marks " I created them in my computer and then printed them out on water transfer decal paper. After I applied them I did spray on a clear coat over them to seal and protect, that worked really well since it was a small area. I masked around the gold stripes on the tubes when I did it to protect the rest of the helmet and coated the entire gold area so it would look even and smooth. Be careful though, some clear paints change the way the undercolor looks. It could make it look darker or dull. I mixed my own and airbrushed it on.

So on Friday I went to Lowes for the gold paint and I couldn't find Rust-oleum. But they did have valsper. So I got that. Did a test on a piece of extra plastic and it had a more brownish copper tinge to it. So! Went to home Depot and got the Rust-oleum. Way better! That gold looks awesome on the black. Taped off my tubes last night and painted them. Will almost certainly do center stripe next later today.

Yeah, that Valspar gold is way too copper. I tried that on my C-3PO stuff, and it was terrible. Smells weird too.

• 1 month later...

The cheek tube came out pretty clean. I always have a ton of cleanup on the tube. Nice work!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Just an update:

My guys and I have been plucking away at stuff every Wednesday evening for a couple hours. We figured if we set a specific time and day, and did a little at a time, it would get us steps closer to our goal. As of right now, we are all trimmed up for the most part, gonna set up a meeting with our GML to make sure he gives his thumbs up on everything and get insight on how to properly assemble and fit it to our bods.

10388633_10153175273711974_2121815765137534118_n.jpg?oh=675bc4e8c45ed3f94340ea3f055437a7&oe=5584E5D1

• Like 1

Cool photo. Slap some tube stripes on there and call that bucket done :)

Neat. Loving all the new Nova builds!

Just to touch on something brought up, yes the clear coat dulls the paint, but still gives a nice shine to it. That was the point of using it as to get it approved I had to match it to the source color which had a much darker gold than most paints achieve. (I did find one but it ended up being too soft for use in armor.)

• 2 weeks later...

I used the clear coat eventually. Without it, the paint was sucking the grease out of my hands when I handled the helmet trying to get my lenses in and it ended up looking gross. Personally didn't see too significant of a color change if any.

Question: what dimensions are the striping on the standard nova. My brother is behind but finally at a point where we are gonna start putting some silver stripes on his bucket

Used clear coat on the Silver for the Nova Sentinel, man that killed the chrome :P ... came out grey. So we are going to have to repaint that and ditch the clear coat for his armor. Or maybe we just over applied it.

• 3 weeks later...

We are shooting to gear up for the first time on May 30th for the Phoenix Comicon. Setting a deadline to light a fire under our butts. I won't have my backpack done by then nor a blaster, but should be able to assemble everything else.

• Like 1