Crookknight's Shadow Scout Build Thread

@CrookKnight I told u i was gonna get a pair of those bolts to test lol.

They work perfectly...are flat...and they are aluminum and should be more than durable.  Also attached pic of specific ones I purchased.

31758A5B-E14E-4842-A8D0-CE759A8D72EC.jpeg

92143E84-46E7-4E82-AF57-5519F2F57EC7.jpeg

FCF81E47-DEC5-429B-9F42-A754AA84D492.jpeg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Raider said:

@CrookKnight I told u i was gonna get a pair of those bolts to test lol.

They work perfectly...are flat...and they are aluminum and should be more than durable.  Also attached pic of specific ones I purchased.

31758A5B-E14E-4842-A8D0-CE759A8D72EC.jpeg

92143E84-46E7-4E82-AF57-5519F2F57EC7.jpeg

FCF81E47-DEC5-429B-9F42-A754AA84D492.jpeg

Looks great @Raider.  I ordered some yesterday and they should be here tomorrow.  I will send pics.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I drilled the holes in the sides of the visor and helmet and then attached the accurate bolts.

I started with a small pilot hole.

Tmn8N9k.jpg

Then I drilled a much larger hole that allowed for the bolt plus the square piece under the bolt to fit.

16DWOx6.jpg

I then tested the visor to the helmet and it could not open far enough, so I had to trim more off the left and right top of the visor to allow it to open close to 90 degrees.

mOMkNyf.jpg

Once that was complete on both sides, I attached the visor to the helmet as a test fit and it did very well.

Right side:

ERqs4ef.jpg

Left side:

RNnKuDG.jpg

Next I added the silver reflective material for the lenses.

I cut it down a little and then added the glue.  I needed something to weigh it down, but still allowed it to expand while the E6000 to expand while it dried.  So I went very scientific and used towels to weight it down.  haha.

zITBr9Y.jpg

Here are the towels weighing it down.

74CMhLS.jpg

Once it dried, i cut off the excess:

Czwhn74.jpg

Here is a picture from the front:

WAb0zOT.jpg

Now that the faceplate is done, I decided to add the faceplate to the visor and then attach everything to the helmet.

Here is a test look, before I attached everything:

HBXTGG9.jpg

Before I glued the faceplate, I tested the visor to make sure it did the 90 degrees (or close to).

NuZsw9J.jpg

I then glued the left and right sides of the faceplate to the visor.  I used high powered earth magnets and vice grips to hold it in place until it dries.

rG2hctc.jpg

8bWGURx.jpg

Now I let it dry:

Lv7kodG.jpg

My cat is getting bored...lol.

sXQjtv9.jpg

Once I add the decals and interior harness for my head....I can get started on the rest of the armor which is the easy stuff...haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to speed this up...Going to work on this while I am working on commission.

Today I worked on the back and the tank.  I have trimmed both and have some questions.  Does the tank have to site perfectly flush with the back piece.  In other words. can you see a gap between them?  I have been trying to trim the tank to the contour of the back piece, but I cannot get it exact.  Also, how far from the opening on the back piece do I mount the tank?

Pictures of back piece trimmed:  All pieces will be painted later.

I still need to trim the slots on the sides for the fabric that will connect to the chest plate.

VVisjGh.jpg

Y9wPbvR.jpg

YlPclUg.jpg

UaPXGhe.jpg

tank trimming:

I rounded the top a little to fit the contour of the back piece.

oXSvd07.jpg

M1eVBYP.jpg

BgBcNkv.jpg

HDhIXJu.jpg

k4GbjSl.jpg

Is this the right distance from the open portion of the back piece to the top of the tank.  From the CRL it looks pretty close.

mle59sJ.jpg

JTjpr28.jpg

Side shots of tank on back piece.

zuEfbc9.jpg

XbHi0Ly.jpg

Once i confirm this is correct, I will attach the tank to the back piece.  From what I can tell (from other threads) is I bend a piece of plastic 90 degree and attach it to the back piece.  Then I use (1) rivet to attach it to the tank through the resin detail piece.  Is this correct?

Thank you for your input.

• Like 2

That looks good. Walt did a video on the tank trimming and notching. I think I have some pics on my imgur of my back and tank, if not I will take some. I am slowly trimming it to have no gaps between.

you are also correct on the single river and  angled plastic or whatever material you use for the top half.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:49 PM, tgreen0626 said:

That looks good. Walt did a video on the tank trimming and notching. I think I have some pics on my imgur of my back and tank, if not I will take some. I am slowly trimming it to have no gaps between.

you are also correct on the single river and  angled plastic or whatever material you use for the top half.

Do you know where I can find Walt’s Video?

@CrookKnight the back tank does not have to be perfectly flush (esp at the bottom). Get it as close as u can.  Ive attached an original TB so u can see how off they were in fact on screen.  That said, the close u can get it the better looking it will be.  Additionally, the bottom rivet will help in pulling the tank to the back.208D8DBF-598F-463A-B933-A4F8E2F0CB20.jpeg

• Like 1

and yes the angled plastic will give the tank a contact/resting point at the top.  u can glue it to the back tank...in my kit i actually cut a slit and put the angled plastic through the back plate to the interior...then riveted it as well so it wont ever pop off

On 6/14/2020 at 3:43 PM, Raider said:

and yes the angled plastic will give the tank a contact/resting point at the top.  u can glue it to the back tank...in my kit i actually cut a slit and put the angled plastic through the back plate to the interior...then riveted it as well so it wont ever pop off

Sounds good.

Hopefully after this, I can start moving faster.  I am going to slow and this is going to take me forever.

I went ahead and heated a piece of ABS and made the L-Bracket.  I attached it with E-600 and used high powered magnets to hold it in place until the glue dried.

XZPcMfM.jpg

Once the glue dried i removed the magnets and did a test fit.

SMO9i0t.jpg

RBij5Ll.jpg

Based on the fit.  I glued the tank to the L Bracket and placed the top greeblie on the tank to check fit.  I will rivet the top greeblie in place and then add the rivet to the bottom...

TuVpbNR.jpg

IBGqszQ.jpg

cEcLtq0.jpg

FZ6dTJ6.jpg

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Raider said:

Yes indeed that looks pretty good to me!

Thank you.  Glad to be done with what I consider to be the hardest parts.  Now I am going to start with the chest and work my way down.

Yee haw.

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2020 at 1:05 PM, tgreen0626 said:

I will send them to you on messenger bro.

I have been following this thread, and I caught a little of Walt’s builds, but I got lost as to where specific biker scout parts were within his lectures (I didn’t catch the back piece build, and I saw the boot holster one, but lost it in all the other info). Would you be willing to share these links for those of us using this particular thread as a guideline for our own builds?  TYVM.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:53 PM, CrookKnight said:

Sounds good.

Hopefully after this, I can start moving faster.  I am going to slow and this is going to take me forever.

I went ahead and heated a piece of ABS and made the L-Bracket.  I attached it with E-600 and used high powered magnets to hold it in place until the glue dried.

XZPcMfM.jpg

Once the glue dried i removed the magnets and did a test fit.

SMO9i0t.jpg

RBij5Ll.jpg

Based on the fit.  I glued the tank to the L Bracket and placed the top greeblie on the tank to check fit.  I will rivet the top greeblie in place and then add the rivet to the bottom...

TuVpbNR.jpg

IBGqszQ.jpg

cEcLtq0.jpg

FZ6dTJ6.jpg

Is there any way you could show a photo of the river on the tank topper?  Also, did you end up putting a red pinstripe or a black one (for the TX) on that topper?  Thank you for sharing your progress photos.

10 minutes ago, Rowen said:

Is there any way you could show a photo of the river on the tank topper?  Also, did you end up putting a red pinstripe or a black one (for the TX) on that topper?  Thank you for sharing your progress photos.

red tank topper stripe is not permitted on shadow scout...thats a standard biker scout thing

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Rowen said:

I have been following this thread, and I caught a little of Walt’s builds, but I got lost as to where specific biker scout parts were within his lectures (I didn’t catch the back piece build, and I saw the boot holster one, but lost it in all the other info). Would you be willing to share these links for those of us using this particular thread as a guideline for our own builds?  TYVM.

@Rowen I will see if I can get the videos grouped and shared here.  I have a folder I saved all my Scout videos in from Walt's Build processes.

Thanks

Tom

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Wow. I cannot believe it has been a year since I posted.  Anyway, I have done more work on it and am getting close.  Will post pictures soon.  I have most of the soft goods, other than the flightsuit and gloves.  I found gloves at Wampawear, but cannot tell if the one they have listed as the Biker Scout Racing Suite meets 501st minimum requirements.  Is there another source that also includes the suede pieces?  It appears suede pieces will need to be added per the link below.

Below is the link to the suit.

https://wampawear.com/product/biker-scout-racing-suit/

501st pictures of suede areas.

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TB_scout_trooper-suitdetail

Thank you for your assistance.

• Like 2
On 10/13/2021 at 4:45 PM, CrookKnight said:

Wow. I cannot believe it has been a year since I posted.  Anyway, I have done more work on it and am getting close.  Will post pictures soon.  I have most of the soft goods, other than the flightsuit and gloves.  I found gloves at Wampawear, but cannot tell if the one they have listed as the Biker Scout Racing Suite meets 501st minimum requirements.  Is there another source that also includes the suede pieces?  It appears suede pieces will need to be added per the link below.

Below is the link to the suit.

https://wampawear.com/product/biker-scout-racing-suit/

501st pictures of suede areas.

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TB_scout_trooper-suitdetail

Thank you for your assistance.

I am making my own suit, but it looks like the WW suit does not have any suede on it.  The Biker TB suit is identical to the TX Scout suit from what I have seen so far.

Thanks

Tom

• 6 months later...