Imperial Super Commando - Gar Saxon animated costume

8 hours ago, MisterxM said:

Now i think about the color of the sleeves. Which color is correct - maroon or maybe dark brown, dark espresso? 

I allready buy the undersuit & I will remove visible pockets & zippers. 

To me it looks like a darker maroon/burgundy color.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Its hard to say at first glance without doing a side by side comparison (as best as we can muster) with the actual references.  No one has ever come close to presenting any progress or costume drafts that we have done that.

Starting with just the helmet, Id say its pretty close but not perfect.  Things that could be better:

-Gaps between the teeth seem to wide.

-The visor slit down the center is shaped like a thin inverted V while the reference is more straight or even slightly wider in the center (tho still thin all the way down).

EDC03F21-7D00-485B-8908-FF7AF4BB28EB.jpeg

image.jpeg

-The helmet face appears to slope outwards in the 3D model…but this shot makes it seem more flat/almost no slope from the face.

3C747E44-B0A9-420E-93EA-0DAB87775E30.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cant find a good reference shot on file to show the back.

Are those details deal breakers?  I cant say…but just things I noticed on the bucket to start.

107FE62B-B254-4033-9153-33EDF27C9DAD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanx for answer! Of course I see much more 3d models of bucket in etsy etc. But I think that the helmet will be my last step in this costume. I will start at gauntlets, hand covers & jetpack, little less problematic parts i hope.

I forgot to say about my soft parts. Now my tailor works on remaking a white work suit. I will post photos soon. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MisterxM said:

Thanx for answer! Of course I see much more 3d models of bucket in etsy etc. But I think that the helmet will be my last step in this costume. I will start at gauntlets, hand covers & jetpack, little less problematic parts i hope.

I forgot to say about my soft parts. Now my tailor works on remaking a white work suit. I will post photos soon. 

Yea…we (or you) just need to look at the the rest of the parts and make comparisons to what we see in the actual references.  Take a look at those parts and compare n post what you think you see

• Thanks 1

Fine, let's start at gauntlets. Unfortunately i cant download the photos & post them here. 

First thing is two button's on the outside. In this model they are at center position, but in every photo which i've seen this button's is placed lower. 

Maybe I'm wrong but this "V" shaped lines placed also on the outside is little bit to sharp. But it's only my opinion. The rounded edges seems to be ok, but I need more opinion's. 

52 minutes ago, MisterxM said:

Fine, let's start at gauntlets. Unfortunately i cant download the photos & post them here. 

First thing is two button's on the outside. In this model they are at center position, but in every photo which i've seen this button's is placed lower. 

Maybe I'm wrong but this "V" shaped lines placed also on the outside is little bit to sharp. But it's only my opinion. The rounded edges seems to be ok, but I need more opinion's. 

Im just screen capturing on my phone and cropping.

BCC9AFAF-24D1-4CAA-B014-35BFF07F068A.jpeg

5A9F2E0E-6C35-42A3-B034-A5D478ED8252.jpeg

Here I think you’re right that the squares should probably go lower closer to the wrist.

image.jpeg

One thing I noticed is that Gar’s armor is not identical to the others in a few spots and these forearms are the first example.  No angled V section at all (though I do agree with your assessment that the V in the 3D model is sharper than what we see on the grunts).

29644B58-61BA-4A4A-B8FD-2A460DA3AE7A.jpeg

And while we are looking around the hands, Id say the hand plate is a little wider and shorter…the triangle larger…and the triangle is just a painted icon, not a raised detail (or etched).  On the forearm it looks like painted white lines outlined in black.  Comparing that to the helmet lines…those look to have depth and seem etched and I think you could make the case that the forehead triangle outline is etched.

9BBF2121-9999-4FC6-87F4-9573B7882BF6.jpeg

It's not clearly visible whether this triangle is painted or maybe etched but it's absolutelly possible that you have right. However, I don't think it looks like in this 3D model.  Of course I must adjust the hand plates to my hand's size. 

I look at the photos & I have a feeling that hand plates could be attached to gauntlets but I never see such a case in any Mandalorian armor or even in Storm/Clonetroopers. I found this info about attached hand plates in Mandalorian Merc's forum. That would maybe explain why they look shorter on this photos. 

2 hours ago, MisterxM said:

It's not clearly visible whether this triangle is painted or maybe etched but it's absolutelly possible that you have right. However, I don't think it looks like in this 3D model.  Of course I must adjust the hand plates to my hand's size. 

I look at the photos & I have a feeling that hand plates could be attached to gauntlets but I never see such a case in any Mandalorian armor or even in Storm/Clonetroopers. I found this info about attached hand plates in Mandalorian Merc's forum. That would maybe explain why they look shorter on this photos. 

When I zoom up on the hand plate triangle it just looks like weathered paint.  No elevation or recession that I can see.

I would say the handplate is just attached to the glove, not the forearm armor.

But yea, if you are building Gar, that forearm armor is different than the 3D model for sure.

• Like 1

I agree, it's looks like triangles is painted. I've found something interesting. Please take a look at left gauntlet. This white lines look completelly different than on the right. Could it be some kind of mistake?

03deefffc589a416ec819088d9c07ef8--hands-history.thumb.jpg.985aca5c6cc0d4d27b2735da69c775a9.jpg

On the other photos this gauntlets looks  like a Super Commando grunts model. 

EbzhtYWXgAEnEFK.jpg.a7de623c5c5a7f0d6ce0f8bc654bfa87.jpg

The right arm looks the same in both pics to me, but yea I see that the pic w the dark saber the left arm does look different than the the duel w Sabine.   Eek lol.  This happens all the time w/ comics, not as much on screen.  That may mean we should dig and find some more references from the show and see if there’s some “progression” or evolution the armor takes thru the episodes.  I dont know.  Could just be an error/inconsistency.

I found more photos with this strange paradox & one with the same problem but on right forearm (third photo). Just why Gar should have two different forearms? This left forearm painting looks absolutely stupid ?

Gar_Saxon_meets_Ezra.jpg.dedf82f144c1097f1d937ad1b0adcc24.jpg

clan-saxon_ccab9c13.thumb.jpeg.109f5d0f37673019829a144a382e3d37.jpeg

ImpMando.thumb.jpg.e4ecc155a692c95c83e06510e8303fb5.jpg

So now i must find someone who can correct mistakes in this 3D model. I'm not good in 3D graphics. 

Which part needs to be fixed in the model? From what I can see it's just paint/markings that look different or am I missing something?

[edit] I think I see now, the model has ridges where it appears the on-screen versions the lines are painted. Are there any high quality large format pics we can look?

So you are talking about this detail here:

image.thumb.png.3e3fc962027db4bbe5fa60e48cbc3938.png

When I zoom in as far as I can, I cannot see any indented/raised areas. From what I can see the only thing that fits that description is the buttons as you said.

image.thumb.png.a82b66d2ffbfb2ffe13db8d5f789f892.png

Bearing in mind that the colour red bleeds, I cannot see any raised or recessed areas for this part. 

@MisterxM if I could make a suggestion…if you are 100% a go, Id say lets get the CRL wordsmiths and any that would like to help on this with you to draft a version based on what we find as we find it.

That should help you prep your build and help avoid some surprises while you are building.  @IcyTrooper @Blackwatch @Chaos @tipperaryred and any others are the best at wording the details and requirements. @nanotek whatcha think?  that sound ok?

• Like 4

I think I may have some text drafted on my computer back home for this character but I won't get a chance to check it out til I'm back home hopefully sometime next week by end of the week :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RAIDER said:

@MisterxM if I could make a suggestion…if you are 100% a go, Id say lets get the CRL wordsmiths and any that would like to help on this with you to draft a version based on what we find as we find it.

That should help you prep your build and help avoid some surprises while you are building.  @IcyTrooper @Blackwatch @Chaos @tipperaryred and any others are the best at wording the details and requirements. @nanotek whatcha think?  that sound ok?

11 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

I think I may have some text drafted on my computer back home for this character but I won't get a chance to check it out til I'm back home hopefully sometime next week by end of the week :) 

@RAIDER more than happy with the approach I am happy if people wanna get started although I think it might be worthwhile seeing what @IcyTrooper has already drafted so we don't have to reinvent the wheel! I'll leave it up to you guys!

• Like 2

Definitely feel free to start collaborating! I don't think I have a TON of stuff for it but I also may be thinking of another costume. My brain is potato this week. ?

41 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

Definitely feel free to start collaborating! I don't think I have a TON of stuff for it but I also may be thinking of another costume. My brain is potato this week. ?

For now we will just keep picking at details and see what you have later.  THX!

• Like 1