Imperial Super Commando - Gar Saxon (Rebels - Animated) CRL Discussion

This will be the main listing and we'll tackle each part piece by piece (green is done, yellow is WIP, and red is not finalized):

• Helmet
  • Flight Suit
  • Chest Armour and Shoulder Pauldrons
  • Shoulder Straps
  • Abdominal Armour
  • Jet Pack
  • Gauntlets
  • Gloves
  • Hand Plates
  • Belt
  • Codpiece
  • Thigh Armour
  • Knee Armour
  • Shin Armour
  • Boots
  • Rifle

---------------------------------------------------------------

Description: Imperial Super Commando - Gar Saxon
Prefix: TX
Detachment: Spec Ops Detachment
Context: Star Wars Rebels

CHARACTER DESCRIPTION HERE

Special Notes:

• The armor parts are a [color description here], or as specified in each part description, and made from one of these (or similar) types of materials:
    • Fiberglass
    • ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
    • HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene)
    • PLA, ABS, PETG (3D Printing)
    • Polyurethane Rubber
  • 3D Printed parts are permitted but all print lines and other artifacts must be removed.
  • Blasters are not required for legion membership per our weapons policy.

Helmet

• Imperial Mandalorian Super Commando style helmet, matching visual references from Star Wars Rebel animated series.
  • Helmet should be painted and weathered to match references. Weathering/chipping of the red paint should match the light grey paint used elsewhere on the helmet.
  • Helmet dome and face plate to be painted red as per references.
  • Rear plate, raised rear panel detailing, the upper cheek plates, left ear plate and teeth must be painted light grey as per references.
  • Lower cheek plates, raised rear panel, must be painted white (or a lighter shade of grey), as per references. Additional detailing on rear plate must be painted white.
  • Ear caps and antennae may be painted light grey or a weathered white.
  • All recessed panel lines are black or dark grey.
  • There is an inverted white outlined triangle in the center of the forehead. This should be painted.  A weathered decal may be acceptable if achieving the look of having been painted.
  • Both visor pieces are black, and obscure the wearer's face. The lower visor tapers in slightly to its narrowest point at the bottom.
  • Left ear cap is oval, with a raised circular detail at the top, and a slightly tapered antenna with a circular profile.
  • Right ear cap is angled at the top, with a narrower half oval at the base. There is an angled recessed panel line in the bottom right corner of the cap. The cap has a raised circular detail at the top, and two antennae. The rear antenna matches that on the left side, while the front antenna is significantly taller.
  • Twin recessed panel lines (1 & 2) run around the upper visor, angle up over the ear pieces, and join together in horizontal lines across the back of the helmet. A third panel line (3) runs parallel and just above the upper of these two lines (2), joined to this same upper panel line at both ends, and running horizontally across the central portion of the rear of the helmet. The distance between 2 and 3 is approximately half the distance between lines 1 and 2 at the rear of the helmet.
  • Additional panel lines vertically bisect each ear plate, and run around their edges.
  • Rear bottom lip of the helmet has a raised, curved rim, running between the rear edges of each ear plate.
  • Back plate has a raised rectangular panel with details to match references. These are long vertical oblongs on both sides, a circle in the lower center, and a double striped rectangle within another rectangle in the upper center. Details are outlined by recessed panel lines.
  • The back plate is light grey, but has white detailing painted on either side of the raised rectangular panel.
  • There are six teeth, three on each side of the lower visor, with the recesses painted black or dark grey.

Flight Suit:

• Must be a two-piece garment, and must be properly fitted and shaped to the wearer.  If going with British military style pullover, material would commonly be acrylic.
  • Must not have any visible pockets, pouches or zippers.
  • The upper body part of the flight suit is maroon-colored, in a heavily ribbed style similar to British military pullovers. The neck area of the flight suit goes halfway up the neck of the wearer to conceal skin when the helmet is worn.
  • On each shoulder of the flight suit there is a white Imperial Cog emblem on a black background.
    • The cog is 3” (76.2mm) or 3.5” (88.9mm) diameter and 1” (25.4mm) from the shoulder seam.
    • The cog may be embroidered or vinyl.
  • The lower body part of the flight suit is colored to match the white of the armor pieces (in the references it looks more like a light grey, definitely a shade or two darker than the white armour?) .  The lower part may be a separate trouser garment, or part of a one piece flight suit.  If a one piece jump suit, the upper body jumper should be worn over the garment so as to obscure any view of the flight suit underneath.
  • The lower body part of the flight suit has the following seams:
    • On the outside of each leg there is a double-lapped seam which runs the entire length of the suit showing from the top of the shins up under the belt.
    • On the front just above the top of the knee armor which wraps around to the back of the flight suit and appears on the back.
    • On the back from the knee seam there is a seam that runs up the back of each thigh and then curves to the outside of the back under the belt. There is a horizontal seam that runs across the butt connecting both of these seams running up the back of each thigh.
    • On the back there is central double-lapped seam which runs from under the belt to the crotch of the wearer.

Chest Armour and Shoulder Pauldrons

• Armour is segmented with an Upper Chest Armour overlapping the Lower Chest Armour.  These may be permanently fixed together, or fitted separately so long as they as attached firmly together when worn.
  • The Upper Chest Armour also overlaps the Shoulder Pauldrons, which likewise can be permanently fixed, or able to be attached securely when worn.
  • Armour is painted white and red to match reference images, and to match the white and red paint used on the helmet and other hard armour pieces.
  • The front of the Upper Chest Armour has a semi-circular notch cut into the centre of the lower front edge.
  • The red painted inverted triangle at the front covers the entirety of the shoulders and the Shoulder Pauldrons.  The lower sides run from the front edge of each Shoulder Pauldron to meet at the semi-circular notch at the bottom of the Upper Chest Armour.
  • A circular white detail indent with black outline is present halfway along the lower left (as worn) side of the front triangle.
  • A linear detail indent borders the lower edge of the upper chest plate.
  • The red painted inverted triangle at the rear likewise covers the entirety of the shoulders and the Shoulder Pauldrons.  However the lower sides differ from the front as they run from the lower edge of the Pauldrons down to the bottom centre of the Lower Chest Plate, not the Upper Chest Plate.  Note that much of this will be hidden by the Jetpack.
  • The Lower Chest Armour has symmetrical, twin semi-circular notches cut into the lower front edge.  The notches line up with the details featured in the Abdominal Armour.
  • The lower edge of the Lower Chest Armour curves down to the sides from a arched centre point at the front centre.  The rear edge therefore sits much lower than the front, and covers almost the entirety of the Abdominal Armour underneath.
  • A linear detail indent borders the lower edge of the lower chest plate.
  • The two layers of the Chest Armour may be joined in a clamshell front and back design, so long as the connection point is relatively seamless.

Shoulder Straps.

• White painted hard armour "straps" sit on both shoulders connecting the front and back halves of the Upper Chest Armour.
  • The material and white paint of the straps should match those of the Chest Armour.

Abdominal Armour

• Made from the same hard material as the rest of the armour, and painted white to match all other relevant armour.
  • May be constructed in a clamshell front and back design, so long as the connection point is relatively seamless.
  • Is worn so that it is overlapped by the Lower Chest Armour above it.  The Lower Chest Armour curves down at the sides so that almost completely overlaps the Abdominal Armour at the rear.
  • Two symmetrical detail indents are present at the front, to match reference pictures.
    • The outer edges of each design must be aligned with the cut outs at the bottom edge of the Lower Chest Armour.
    • The inner details are rectangular, with a semi-circular top edge that sits just below the semi-circular cut outs on the Lower Chest Plate.
    • The inner details are split into four segments, divided to match reference images.

Jetpack:

• The same basic design as the Sabine Wren / Imperial Super Commando animated jetpack, but matching visual references for paint and markings.
  • Central thruster is painted a dark gunmetal.
  • Side thrusters are painted red and white to match other armour parts, with designs to match visual references.
  • Red areas show medium to heavy weathering to match visual references, white in colour to match other armour parts.
  • There is a curved bridge over the central thruster that is yellow/gold in colour with 3 white designs to match visual references.
    • The height of the bridge piece is approximately 1/5 the length of the central thruster, and the top of the bridge piece is located approximately this same distance from the top of the thruster.
  • Thanks 1

i see the helmet is yellow.  does that mean the info was started before? or because we are working on it right now for the build i am starting?

from what i can tell, 2 vendors have made the helmet, do3d, which isnt very accurate and skylu released a set.  Have they been viewed before? i dont think the do3d one is very accurate, as thats not what do3d cares about when they pump out the models.

skylu i havent looked at yet. so if you know, ill defer to your judgement and i can find that one.

Aleternatively, if the skylu is ok, but not perfect, i can always design a new helmet and then the detachment can pour over the model as i build it to ensure its perfectly accurate. im open to that option. that way many eyes will make a model perfect

Sorry yes, the yellow just meant we'd start with the helmet. I had time to create the thread, but not to put some draft text for the helmet up yet! I'll hopefully get a chance to do that tomorrow, but in the meantime feel free to continue in your WIP thread!

Starting point for the helmet:

• Imperial Mandalorian Super Commando Style helmet, matching visual references from Star Wars Rebel animated series.

• Helmet should be painted and weathered to match references. Weathering of the red paint should match the light grey paint used elsewhere on the helmet.

• Helmet dome and face plate to be painted red as per references.

• Rear plate embossed and recessed detail, upper cheek plates, left ear plate and teeth must be painted light grey as per references.

• Lower cheek plates, lower rear plate, ear caps and antennae must be painted white (or a lighter shade of grey), as per references.

• All recessed panel lines are black or dark grey.

• There is an inverted white outlined triangle in the centre of the forehead. This may be a decal, or painted.

• Both visor pieces are black, and obscure the wearer's face. The lower visor is curved at the top, and tapers in slightly to its narrowest point at the bottom.

• Left ear cap is oval, with a raised circular detail at the top, and a slightly tapered antenna with a circular profile.

• Right ear cap is angled at the top, with a narrower half oval at the base. It has a raised circular detail at the top, and two antennae. The rear antenna matches that on the left side, while the front antenna is significantly taller.

• Twin recessed panel lines (1 & 2) run around the upper visor, angle up over the ear pieces, and join in horizontal lines across the back of the helmet. A third panel line (3) runs parallel and just above the upper of these two lines (2), joined to this same upper panel line at both ends, and running horizontally across the central 1/3 of the rear of the helmet. The distance between 2 and 3 is approximately half the distance between lines 1 and 2 at the rear of the helmet.

• Additional panel lines vertically bisect each ear cap.

• Rear bottom lip of the helmet has a raised, curved rim, running between the rear edges of each ear plate.

• Back plate has a raised rectangular panel with embossed details to match references. These are long vertical oblongs on both sides, a circle in the lower centre, and a double striped rectangle within another rectangle in the upper centre.

• The back plate has grey recesses around all four edges of the raised panel, with additional angled recesses to either side.

• There are six teeth, three on each side of the lower visor, with the recesses painted black.

1 hour ago, tipperaryred said:

b1.thumb.jpg.69de04deffd153d85d4337393029e9da.jpgb2.thumb.jpg.75e1645109ce4a3c2ef3e3e6f957ffd4.jpgb3.thumb.jpg.732ff541cc36895efc38e0c963cb6674.jpgb4.thumb.jpg.f70da2d4b0cb709c082f58c3ce54c363.jpgf1.thumb.jpg.b294f3f2211576b5fc05a237a18987d1.jpgf3.thumb.jpg.4b77a17c5ed5d6995831f5e4691b7cc3.jpgf4.thumb.jpg.096ff7087e9e5349b3212301e79c927d.jpgf4a.thumb.jpg.ccd06d9926614eb4ae77ed8dcc31cb09.jpgf5.thumb.jpg.58865ed431f3b49e9d4855c436381777.jpgf6.thumb.jpg.1ba138030afd39d089c1587f944e6fe3.jpgf7.jpg.45c4fb729404945c128fdd06e4174527.jpgf8.jpg.3941326cbc038e125923a9db267f3bcb.jpgf9a.thumb.jpg.7365f1cda6ddc2e8d161128ef6bb3248.jpgf9b.thumb.jpeg.e88d787a9f3b9c735836f642d1204d7f.jpegl1.thumb.jpg.b2d4f98284676d4b0e09de00aedcd7ad.jpgl5.thumb.jpeg.7f14f5a39d93b815714a761a6bfc1979.jpegl6.jpg.baa7b827c4c51882564a86ba0189a6da.jpgl7.thumb.jpg.b0284275cedfcdb5ddc20e249940d6f5.jpgl8.thumb.jpg.68429b10b8d585f97447e5754bdf097b.jpgl9.thumb.jpg.03e5748f8b9f2eb5339e5fc0a78d7087.jpgt1.thumb.jpg.425e22ab82ffdd65ed9ddd716d0de553.jpgt2.thumb.jpg.a1c457e93f3bdea6094d5d9b2b998a7c.jpgt3.thumb.jpg.94fd711d6764574e46597b00ca8c338f.jpgt4.thumb.jpg.8f1a02e35ba3e8f4b754d312146f847c.jpga1.thumb.jpeg.d93116aae6957a890280aaee28c4783b.jpeg

im currently working on creating the 3d models to match these same photos.  can we discuss the trianle on his forhead?  in some photos, i feel like it is indented, and others i think its painted on.

hwo should i model the helmet? with or without the indent?

1 minute ago, beren88 said:

im currently working on creating the 3d models to match these same photos.  can we discuss the trianle on his forhead?  in some photos, i feel like it is indented, and others i think its painted on.

hwo should i model the helmet? with or without the indent?

My instinct is definitely without moulded detail.  As far as I can tell, the helmet is exactly the same model used by the grunts.  Yet Saxon has the outlined painted white, while the grunts have the interior painted red (decals could also work fine).  So if you wanted to sculpt that detail on, you would need a different sculpt for each helmet.  I say leave it smooth and go with paint/decals.

Just now, tipperaryred said:

My instinct is definitely without moulded detail.  As far as I can tell, the helmet is exactly the same model used by the grunts.  Yet Saxon has the outlined painted white, while the grunts have the interior painted red (decals could also work fine).  So if you wanted to sculpt that detail on, you would need a different sculpt for each helmet.  I say leave it smooth and go with paint/decals.

ok, i liek that better.  Then people can just paint as they see fit.

the grunts looks the same to me when i look at it, only paint seems different

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tipperaryred said:

rear1.thumb.jpg.787bcbf6133c1da180881e7ac42830c4.jpg

Would you agree the greys markings with the yellow arrows are recessed?  And that the grey markings with blue arrows are raised/embossed?

that top yellow throws off what i was going to say originally, but when i think about that top yellow and follow the line, yeah, i would say that its recessed. the blue i dont get the sense of raised, i get the vibe of it same height as around it, but the lines are cut around the pieces inside. kind of like the lines inside din djarins mohalk

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, beren88 said:

that top yellow throws off what i was going to say originally, but when i think about that top yellow and follow the line, yeah, i would say that its recessed. the blue i dont get the sense of raised, i get the vibe of it same height as around it, but the lines are cut around the pieces inside. kind of like the lines inside din djarins mohalk

Thanks, I know what you mean.  The lines around the the "blue" grey areas is what is confusing me.  I'm not sure if it's a drawing style that is supposed to make the interior details look raised, whether it is just supposed to be a painted black line, or whether it is a recessed panel line like you suggest.  My instinct is you are correct:

rear2.thumb.jpg.2105b68a26b5785135b9e17a13785b69.jpg

The most important thing is to keep it consistent.  So anything that appears with the similar dark lining, we treat as a recessed panel line.  Would you be okay with that?

1241245587_rear2-Copy.thumb.jpg.97861d4e6e3b2d9463b577b76ab04396.jpg

4 minutes ago, tipperaryred said:

Thanks, I know what you mean.  The lines around the the "blue" grey areas is what is confusing me.  I'm not sure if it's a drawing style that is supposed to make the interior details look raised, whether it is just supposed to be a painted black line, or whether it is a recessed panel line like you suggest.  My instinct is you are correct:

rear2.thumb.jpg.2105b68a26b5785135b9e17a13785b69.jpg

in this pic, if you look on the bottom front portion of the ear cap, it has a similar line. i feel liek its just a design aesthetic, to give shape  and depth in 2d animation. not raised, just lines in the design

2 minutes ago, tipperaryred said:

The most important thing is to keep it consistent.  So anything that appears with the similar dark lining, we treat as a recessed panel line.  Would you be okay with that?

1241245587_rear2-Copy.thumb.jpg.97861d4e6e3b2d9463b577b76ab04396.jpg

yep, totally ok with that. we are inline on same thoughts

• Thanks 1

rear4.thumb.jpg.64f37613448af5af883040e51376e798.jpg

To simplify matters, maybe we should go with MMCC description and treat back plate as grey with raised white panels, instead of white with grey recesses.  I guess this will be simpler to sculpt too?

The biggest remaining question here is the white areas marked by green arrows.  Is this simply paint?  Or are the white areas raised slightly above the grey (but obviously not as high as the raised white panel in the centre)?

993302654_RearHelmetTopogr.thumb.png.9e1bc91b5519486b4d1d6791978f11b4.png

This quick and basic sketch probably explains what I mean better!  Is the white detail either side of the large raised panel just painted on (right image), or is it raised up slightly (left image)?

l9.thumb.jpg.6e9c96b69d62d0a1185e59ceeee7fa8f.jpg

44 minutes ago, tipperaryred said:

rear4.thumb.jpg.64f37613448af5af883040e51376e798.jpg

To simplify matters, maybe we should go with MMCC description and treat back plate as grey with raised white panels, instead of white with grey recesses.  I guess this will be simpler to sculpt too?

The biggest remaining question here is the white areas marked by green arrows.  Is this simply paint?  Or are the white areas raised slightly above the grey (but obviously not as high as the raised white panel in the centre)?

yeah, i agree, i thought it was white on the back with just grey or weathering in the recesses, but you migth be right its grey not weathering.

i wuld say they are raised, but like a mm or 2 tops

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tipperaryred said:

993302654_RearHelmetTopogr.thumb.png.9e1bc91b5519486b4d1d6791978f11b4.png

This quick and basic sketch probably explains what I mean better!  Is the white detail either side of the large raised panel just painted on (right image), or is it raised up slightly (left image)?

l9.thumb.jpg.6e9c96b69d62d0a1185e59ceeee7fa8f.jpg

i feel its a slight raise to it, but minimal, we talking .5mm to 2 tops. i feel like 1mm is best

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, beren88 said:

i feel its a slight raise to it, but minimal, we talking .5mm to 2 tops. i feel like 1mm is best

Perfect.  If we say decals or a decent coat of paint on top then, would you feel that's enough?

Just now, tipperaryred said:

Perfect.  If we say decals or a decent coat of paint on top then, would you feel that's enough?

i would say the raised parts should be painted. decals makes stuff look cheap fast i feel.  I also feel like it wouldnt be decals. They are still mandalorians, they take pride in there painting of armour

• Thanks 1

Its hard to say if that triangle is painted or not. Most of the models I've seen it's indented, but it's looks more like painted. We must also determine the details of this triangle like dimensions etc. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, MisterxM said:

Its hard to say if that triangle is painted or not. Most of the models I've seen it's indented, but it's looks more like painted. We must also determine the details of this triangle like dimensions etc. 

yeah, skylu and do3d have the indent.  but i personally dont think they are correct.  The flaking in the triangle makes me think paint.

• Like 1

Yes, I would agree that it looks painted in the references. There are one or two side on screenshots which show pretty conclusively that there is no change in elevation I think:

l7.jpg

8 hours ago, MisterxM said:

For the size of the triangle, we might need to test on a helmet to make sure? Simply cut out some paper triangles of various sizes and see what range looks correct?

7 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

Yes, I would agree that it looks painted in the references. There are one or two side on screenshots which show pretty conclusively that there is no change in elevation I think:

l7.jpg

perfect, i agree it is painted..  This photo very much affirms that.  I will continue modeling. as long as things keep going as they are this week with nothing stopping, i should have first version of the helmet modeled up. doing a may the 4th give away of the new imperial commando blaster, so trying to bang that out first.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

For the size of the triangle, we might need to test on a helmet to make sure? Simply cut out some paper triangles of various sizes and see what range looks correct?

i might also see if i can make an svg file of the triangle, and then can just cut it on my cricut, to act as a paint guide as well, so the triangle goes on perfectly

• Like 1