Imperial Super Commando - Gar Saxon (Rebels - Animated) CRL Discussion

1 hour ago, IcyTrooper said:

Thanks for typing that up, here are a few answers or things to ponder! :D :

1. Material type - I had derived the cotton or cotton blend from the BHG Super Commando Captain (https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:MW_Supercommando-Captain) since that was another animated series (Clone Wars vs Rebels); but if we think it could be described better I'm all for that!
  2. Flight suit color - I'm good with wording it a bit darker than the white armor, like a gray color? I can definitely tell it is darker, I may have copied that over from the grunt one, but I can't remember since it was like 2020 when I had wrote it. :lol:

The rest of it looks good to me!

that super commando captain you pointed to in your post, i have an approved super commando captain. Thats part of why i am wanting to do this costume. I want to do all three armours of Gar saxon through his live action appearences.

if that flight suit is grey, its a grey very very diluted.  it looks white on my monitors.  we talking stone grey which is lightest grey shade i can think of top of mind

• Thanks 2
20 hours ago, MisterxM said:

In my opinion that suit is also white. On a few photos looks little greyish, but its depend on monitor, photo quality etc. But its not grey color like in Maul's Commando suits. 

It's a tricky one. Seen in isolation it does often look white. But every time it is side by side with the white armour, it definitely looks darker to me. Would 100% agree it's nowhere near as dark as his Mauldelorian suit, but I'd be inclined to call it a very light grey or a dirty white. I think we definitely need to distinguish that the suit and armour are different shades.

11 hours ago, beren88 said:

more updates on the helmet. i only have the triangle there for illustrative purposes only. the final model wont have it since we have said its painted on.

Let me know if any changes needing to be made. Im open to all critiques.. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks mate, it's looking great on initial impressions. When I get the chance I'll look in greater detail a bit later.

Only minor issues I'm seeing so far.  I know you haven't put any recessed panel lines in yet so I won't include anything on those.

image.thumb.jpeg.480df3ee50f30ed5e91da2014a60bc24.jpeg

For the front I think the only shape issue is the bottom of the visor.  Compared to the references I think it is slightly too much of a pointed shape.  The bottom does need to taper in, but it is slightly wider at the base than in your current draft.

f1.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.a94c4f0c22d0c1af4fb59f8c139df6da.jpeg

For the back, I'm not sure about the gap outlined in yellow above (between the ear plate and the raised shape).  It should be straight, and a little narrower I think.

rear2.jpg

The oval greebles (left one highlighted in brown) need to be a bit narrower I think.

The central greebles (outlined in green) are raised up in your draft, and I think we decided that they should be flat but outlined by recessed panel lines.  Maybe you already planned to fix this when you put the panel lines in?

These small details aside, I think it looks spot on.  Great work!

On 5/30/2023 at 5:53 PM, beren88 said:

more updates on the helmet. i only have the triangle there for illustrative purposes only. the final model wont have it since we have said its painted on.

Let me know if any changes needing to be made. Im open to all critiques.. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Not to divert from what youre working on too much….but are you sure the triangle isnt recessed?

5 hours ago, RAIDER said:

Not to divert from what youre working on too much….but are you sure the triangle isnt recessed?

before i started the model. there was debate on it, and the consensus was that it was painted on.

is the triangle discussion being reopend for debate?

On 6/1/2023 at 3:50 AM, tipperaryred said:

Only minor issues I'm seeing so far.  I know you haven't put any recessed panel lines in yet so I won't include anything on those.

image.thumb.jpeg.480df3ee50f30ed5e91da2014a60bc24.jpeg

For the front I think the only shape issue is the bottom of the visor.  Compared to the references I think it is slightly too much of a pointed shape.  The bottom does need to taper in, but it is slightly wider at the base than in your current draft.

f1.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.a94c4f0c22d0c1af4fb59f8c139df6da.jpeg

For the back, I'm not sure about the gap outlined in yellow above (between the ear plate and the raised shape).  It should be straight, and a little narrower I think.

rear2.jpg

The oval greebles (left one highlighted in brown) need to be a bit narrower I think.

The central greebles (outlined in green) are raised up in your draft, and I think we decided that they should be flat but outlined by recessed panel lines.  Maybe you already planned to fix this when you put the panel lines in?

These small details aside, I think it looks spot on.  Great work!

thank you. ill get started on these.

can you confirm that we have for sure settled on the triangle being painted on? 

6 hours ago, RAIDER said:

l7.jpg

That seems the most conclusive angle we've seen so far, and there doesn't seem to be any recess there. What do you think?

• Like 1

I saw many photos & it's hard to say... On the front view looks like that could be recessed, but if we look at the details from the different angles - painted option is more possible. Same situation like with the hand plates. There we have the same triangles as on the helmet. 

• Like 1
On 6/2/2023 at 1:45 PM, tipperaryred said:

l7.jpg

That seems the most conclusive angle we've seen so far, and there doesn't seem to be any recess there. What do you think?

yea i agree

• Thanks 1
On 6/2/2023 at 12:45 PM, tipperaryred said:

l7.jpg

On 6/3/2023 at 2:33 PM, beren88 said:

More upates. Again, Just leaving the triable there as a place holder. Especially now that the discussion as reopened about the triangle.

I'm getting close to finishing the helmet, can we get a for sure answer to the tringle recessed or painted?

spacer.pngNr69l2L.jpgspacer.pngspacer.png

any feedback on latest renders?

4 hours ago, beren88 said:

Sorry for delay mate, it's been a crazy busy last week. Can say we're happy with painted triangle rather than recess though. Will check the latest renders when I can, but first impression again is great!

• Thanks 1
On 6/6/2023 at 8:57 AM, beren88 said:

Do you have a render pic of the left side of the helmet? I'm not seeing that center line that is on that ear cap from the rear-quarter view.

in regards to the flight suit. im talking to teresa who goes by soulart 41307 on the forums, she has written a few crls, and she says that cotton isnt a good option for the suit. she said as tight as the suits are, cotton is not viable as a fabric choice.

she says need to be a spandex or spandex cotton blend

also, thsi might be jumping the gun, but i found these shoes on amazon which fits the description for the shoes.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0995Y3LYS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A6BRE0HD1NAMI&psc=1

what do you guys think? would these be a viable option for my shoes to the costume?

i want to buy before they sell out. red chelsea boots are hard to find apparently

56 minutes ago, MisterxM said:

They looks pretty good in my opinion & similar to Stormtrooper type boots. But the soles shouldn’t be black? Or maybe i was wrong. 

when i looked at the photos it looked like a beige sole with red boots.

Not that we are goign by it as the be all end all, but the mercs crl says red shoes beige sole too

On 6/13/2023 at 1:47 PM, beren88 said:

in regards to the flight suit. im talking to teresa who goes by soulart 41307 on the forums, she has written a few crls, and she says that cotton isnt a good option for the suit. she said as tight as the suits are, cotton is not viable as a fabric choice.

she says need to be a spandex or spandex cotton blend

That is interesting, I do agree that it looks tight in the pictures. I'm not sure that that just isn't a product of the animated style of Rebels. I did pull up a TIE fighter pilot and it looked somewhat similar, pretty form-fitting but perhaps a little larger. One thing we also have to consider is that the arms appear to have pleating on them or rows of stitching. It is more evident on the pictures of the "grunts" but I do see it in a few of the other pictures of Gar Saxon.

imperial-super-commandos01.jpg 

Here is Sabine as a TIE pilot with the fitting arms:

sabinetie.thumb.jpg.4bf300a64ff8b30d9b611f0f2535ac10.jpg

Also, on the brief topic of the soles. In this shot, Gar's boots appear to have a beige/tan sole:

imperial-super-commandos09_75deb930.jpeg 

and

Cod_zps2gpuorlm.jpg

You may have to click it to enlarge it.

• Thanks 1