Imperial Super Commando - Gar Saxon (Rebels - Animated) CRL Discussion

So with regards to the torso armour, is it safe to summarise it as being in 3 segmented overlapping pieces - upper chest, lower chest, and abdominal? Plus the shoulder plates hinged underneath the upper chest plate?

Screenshot_20230629-114750-432.thumb.png.80ebe61ad578020baf38b1a2f6fda7d4.png

The vertical designs on the abdominal plate seem to always sit inside the cut outs at the bottom of the lower chest plate.

Screenshot_20230629-115519-617.thumb.png.a6fbc73d66d9e9df3339bd0c0125d888.png

So maybe aim for a TK style construction with the lower chest plate fixed under the edge of the upper chest plate with snaps or velcro? Same with the abdominal plate and lower chest plate? Each of the three compromising of a front and back plate joined as invisibly as possible at the sides with snaps or velcro?

In my opinion it's a Stormtrooper type construction - 3 pieces, just like its written. And we must use the same techniques with velcro & snaps. This is the best option. 

I never prepared this armor before, but I hope i can handle it😀

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MisterxM said:

In my opinion it's a Stormtrooper type construction - 3 pieces, just like its written. And we must use the same techniques with velcro & snaps. This is the best option. 

I never prepared this armor before, but I hope i can handle it😀

I'm sure you'll handle it no trouble 😉

A lot of TKs leave the pieces attached semi-permanently and just leave it open at the sides so they can put the whole piece over their head. It's probably the easiest option for this too.

maybe i am off base, but i feel like its a two piece. look below the armpit, the piece that you guys are ferencing as the upper chest disappears into the lower plate. 

my concern with that as its own plat is it wont have any structure there and would give rise to floating.

From a strength standpoint, i think an upper and lower will be stronger. and if you look where the chest comes to, its a good inch or more above the belly button, so will give room for bending over still

• Like 1

making it a two piece would then be a clam shell construction, and would be a little easier from a design standpoint too. i have some ideas on the 3d model and how to design all the chest and abs so they look seamless and will assemble properly for front and back plates etc

• Like 1

It's a good spot Kevin 👍

From other angles you can see that the "upper" piece is continuous:

gar-saxon-2_6b5889cf.jpeg

However I think you're still correct that structurally it would be compromised.

From the references, we could approach it from either direction. 2 piece is structurally stronger, 3 piece potentially allows more movement.

I'd say we can proceed with it as you originally planned. However do we also leave it open for builders to construct it in 3 pieces if they wish? I can't see anything in the references to contradict either approach.

Hmmm, that is very interesting when it comes to whether or not we have it as a 2-piece or 3-piece. I thought about this from a few perspectives, such as considering how animated clone armor is setup as well as it just occurred to me that the MMCC may have a CRL for it (and they do). MMCC has it broken into a 3-piece setup with a chest piece, upper ab section and low ab section.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Hmmm, that is very interesting when it comes to whether or not we have it as a 2-piece or 3-piece. I thought about this from a few perspectives, such as considering how animated clone armor is setup as well as it just occurred to me that the MMCC may have a CRL for it (and they do). MMCC has it broken into a 3-piece setup with a chest piece, upper ab section and low ab section.

Good catch, thanks! We were using MMCC for some of the early reference points, but I forgot to check back on them for this.

Their interpretation fits with how I originally saw the 3 layers, but I do still take Kevin's point about the structural integrity of the top layer if it's built as a separate piece. Equally, while some screens clearly show movement between the upper and lower ab pieces, I don't think there's never any real evidence of the chest piece and upper ab piece moving separately?

Personally I'd be happy to leave it accessible and allow a build using either method. Potentially narrowing down to one of them for Lvl2?

• Like 1
On 7/1/2023 at 3:50 PM, tipperaryred said:

Good catch, thanks! We were using MMCC for some of the early reference points, but I forgot to check back on them for this.

Their interpretation fits with how I originally saw the 3 layers, but I do still take Kevin's point about the structural integrity of the top layer if it's built as a separate piece. Equally, while some screens clearly show movement between the upper and lower ab pieces, I don't think there's never any real evidence of the chest piece and upper ab piece moving separately?

Personally I'd be happy to leave it accessible and allow a build using either method. Potentially narrowing down to one of them for Lvl2?

I'd be fine for allowing more layers for basic and then less for L2.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 11:40 AM, tipperaryred said:

Grand 👍 I should get a chance tomorrow to draft up the text for the torso armour, so we can take it from there.

Apologies, I got wrapped up with getting work sorted before I took my holidays. Will get back to this ASAP on my return.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

so here are the boots i ordered for the costume.

if you need better photos or closer up, let me know. i have 2 more weeks or i have to return them. I ordered them as they matched the crl we discussed and there was only a couple left in my size and didnt want to miss out.

but i only want to keep them if they are worthy enough for the crl we building.

ZQ56tw9.jpgKSZaDUK.jpgOdrf3zv.jpgH8pXjV1.jpg

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, beren88 said:

so here are the boots i ordered for the costume.

if you need better photos or closer up, let me know. i have 2 more weeks or i have to return them. I ordered them as they matched the crl we discussed and there was only a couple left in my size and didnt want to miss out.

but i only want to keep them if they are worthy enough for the crl we building.

ZQ56tw9.jpgKSZaDUK.jpgOdrf3zv.jpgH8pXjV1.jpg

I think those look perfectly fine mate.  We have very few good reference images for the boots, but these are entirely consistent with what we can see.  I see no reason not to go with them.

Chest, Shoulder and Abdominal Armour (First Draft)

• Armour shall be painted white, with a red inverted triangle design painted over the upper chest and shoulder to match the visual references.  This red paint scheme continues over the shoulders and is mirrored on the back plate.  Oblong shoulder pads shall be painted white.
  • Paint shall be weathered to match the visual references.
  • Segmented construction, wrapping completely around the wearer.  The front and back plates should appear to join seamlessly.
  • White oblong shoulder pads sit above both shoulders, made of the same material as the chest armour.  Edges should be rounded.
  • The curved shoulder armour can be cast as a part of the upper chest, or attached underneath.  It should be of the same material as the chest armour in either case, and painted the same red used on the chest armour.
  • The upper and lower chest pieces may be cast together, or separately so that the lower chest sits under the upper chest.
  • Semi-circular notch in the centre front of the upper chest.
  • White circular detail with black outline on the front left of chest.
  • Two semi-circular notches at the bottom front of the lower chest.
  • Abdominal plate is overlapped by the lower chest, and features two rectangular details that align with the notches at the bottom of the lower chest.  All detailing matches the visual references.
21 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

I think those look perfectly fine mate.  We have very few good reference images for the boots, but these are entirely consistent with what we can see.  I see no reason not to go with them.

wahoo. so excited i have the boots for the costume.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

Chest, Shoulder and Abdominal Armour (First Draft)

• Armour shall be painted white, with a red inverted triangle design painted over the upper chest and shoulder to match the visual references.  This red paint scheme continues over the shoulders and is mirrored on the back plate.  Oblong shoulder pads shall be painted white.
  • Paint shall be weathered to match the visual references.
  • Segmented construction, wrapping completely around the wearer.  The front and back plates should appear to join seamlessly.
  • White oblong shoulder pads sit above both shoulders, made of the same material as the chest armour.  Edges should be rounded.
  • The curved shoulder armour can be cast as a part of the upper chest, or attached underneath.  It should be of the same material as the chest armour in either case, and painted the same red used on the chest armour.
  • The upper and lower chest pieces may be cast together, or separately so that the lower chest sits under the upper chest.
  • Semi-circular notch in the centre front of the upper chest.
  • White circular detail with black outline on the front left of chest.
  • Two semi-circular notches at the bottom front of the lower chest.
  • Abdominal plate is overlapped by the lower chest, and features two rectangular details that align with the notches at the bottom of the lower chest.  All detailing matches the visual references.

just checkign though, there can be a seam at the join right? ill design it to be as seemless as possible, but a seam line is going to be there, cant get into the armour otherwise im worried

4 minutes ago, beren88 said:

just checkign though, there can be a seam at the join right? ill design it to be as seemless as possible, but a seam line is going to be there, cant get into the armour otherwise im worried

Yes, that was some wording I think I took from the MMCC text originally, but it did catch my eye too.  Realistically there's always going to be a seam if you look hard enough, so we might just tweak that wording down to be less demanding.

@tipperaryred

i found this

https://www.bbiyers.top/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=11673608&pr=46.88

i was thinking of using this for the upper torso. i have been to 5 different fabric stores and cant find the fabric.

So was thinking of buying two of these sweaters, then salvaging the second one for fabric to make the half turtle neck.

how does that sound?