Presenting the EVO Trooper

Fivezero

Well, got some shoulders finally made, but some surgery was required.... This was my last resort if nothing else worked, so unfortunately had to split the shoulder in half to get some vac formed parts.

DSCF0007_zps4bba1a56.jpg

First pulls!

DSCF0008_zpsc7de4813.jpg

My shoulder bells.

DSCF0009_zps06352fd3.jpg

So as you can see, they have to be made in two parts and then put together. There will be a little bit of filler needed to cover the seam, but shouldn't be anything major. They also came out a bit thinner than I wanted (it'll work for me, not for you guys), so I'm going to get some thicker plastic for these things. But with this hurdle overcome, everything is just about in place to finally get some kits out the door!! I have a little bit of repair to do to the shoulders and a little bit of refining to the knee and we are all set!

Fivezero

:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Dorothy! Sending you a PM in a sec on a helmet. I've got a spare lying around. If anyone else needs one, let me know. I make them up as I go!

As for parts, still need to figure some things to get you guys the best stuff. I probably won't have time to work on that stuff and get parts made up for you guys for awhile though, gotta do some thinking/possible rebuilding (I know it's been taking forever, just want you guys to have good stuff). :D

• 3 weeks later...

After trying to decide what Nova I wanted to bring to CVII, I decided I wanted to do something different, the EVO Trooper. I've never trooped with the thing unfortunately, so it seems fitting for its first outing to be with you guys at Celebration. So here's the journey to get this guy back together in the next few weeks.

I must say I am quite disappointed with myself. I am actually quite close to having this thing back together (much closer than I thought/should've been done long ago). Anyway here's the progress from last night.

Started off easy with some painting; chestbox, handplate and the finger plates (all the white stuff). Ran out of paint for weathering so couldn't get them weathered (they still need to cure anyway).

DSCF0003_zpskmxgsm2b.jpg

Then moved on to redoing the pouches on the belt. They had the correct "shape" before but they had no form, they kinda flopped around and didn't look crisp like the reference pics. So with some cardboard and glue here is the result.

DSCF0009_zpsxm5dactn.jpg

Finally and most importantly started bondoing the new vacuum formed shoulder bells to make them seamless. Lots of sanding last night, lots more sanding tonight. :)

DSCF0008_zpsxj5h5zkg.jpg

Kneeplates are the next things on the list. Once the shoulders and knees are done that's really it. Then it is on to getting the new stuff weathered and getting it put back together. See why I feel kinda dumb for not working on it for so long. :( Anyway I think this thing will definitely be ready for Celebration, no doubt in my mind. :thumbsup:

Fivezero

• Like 2

Ty, have you ever considered that the EVO helmet might provide a base if you wanted to try casting the TFA Stormtrooper helmets? I've absolutely no knowledge about the casting of helmets or how any of that works, so this may be a very stupid suggestion, but I thought I'd go on ahead and make it because the idea just struck me.

StormtrooperHelmetProp_large.jpg

- Master Tej -

Ty, I had a big day at work today with a corporate visit, but I just kept thinking about how psyched I am to see the EVO in person.

Nick there are no such things as stupid suggestions! However you can't really "cast" a helmet into a different shape. Basically I could take a helmet casting of an EVO helmet and then chop it up and resculpt it to match the EP. 7 helmet. That is not the most ideal route though. It'd be better to start off from scratch. There are so many differences between the two that it is better to start off from scratch. WAY back when I tried sculpting a Phase II Darktrooper helmet using a TK helmet as a base, didn't work out too well since the shapes are different. Not saying it can't be done, anything can be done with a lots of determination and bondo, just sometimes it is too much work (hence why I don't bother with cardstock/resin based pepakura anymore). That's what I'd do if I was making one, starting from scratch, but I'm not interested either. We have enough troopers around here to keep me busy. :D Always keep thinking of ideas Nick, some work out great, others not so much, 'tis the way of life. I do see where you were going though! :thumbsup:

And Toddo, glad to hear you are looking forward to seeing it!! I'm super stoked to finally get this thing back together. It sits right next to my workbench, staring at me, haunting me everyday, very pleased to finish it up...again... My Nova armor needs some rest for a bit too. The Elite Nova helmet needs some new paint bad, it was my first helmet I painted and well it shows....... Anyway Celebration seems perfect for the EVO to make its debut (really help show off the trooper diversity of Spec Ops), super excited to finally troop with it too!

Fivezero

Nick there are no such things as stupid suggestions!

Good! Because I suggest you take the EVO helmet and cast it with the snout of a wombat and the fins flying fish covered in cheesecake and a little Easter Island head sculpture. Sounds oddly delicious, eh?

Here ya go izzi! Quite majestic actually! I think the wings are bit oversized, the snout is a little lacking of detail and I think the swirls could be a little cleaner on the cheesecake, but overall not too bad. Ready to submit to the LMO!!! :P

Evo_StormTrooper03_zpsfnulkruo.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Been awhile but this thing is almost done being put back together!

Here's the knee plates after some fresh flat black!

3bcc9a41-493e-48ed-82f2-6396c1079f19_zps7mreyelf.jpg

Kneeplates mounted!!

581f4a5b-3dc5-481f-a385-b9059b83d6f6_zpsaowhrnkn.jpg

Chestbox mounted and hose inlets glued on! Edge trim replaced too, it's all weathered now too!

DSCF0010_zpsklwz93sr.jpg

Finished up the painting and weathering on my bucket too!

DSCF0004_zpsj7pnj0is.jpg

The handplates/fingerplates are all mounted and weathered. I revamped the weathering a bit too. It was too plain and boring and didn't make a whole lot of sense. Basically it was brown spots with perfectly clean armor just inches away. The EVO in-game has just the overall filth on it, wanted to try and recreate that. Decided to thin out some black and later dark green paint to kinda wash over everything. The thinned out paint leaves a very small amount of color but it is just enough to project the overall look of filth over large sections of the armor where mud wouldn't collect (the flat spots), looks much better to me. And the extra color adds some dimension to it beyond just brown.

All that's left is to finish up the shoulders, then paint/weathering then getting it all strapped back together!

Fivezero

Thanks a bunch guys!

The last piece of the puzzle, almost ready to go! Still have a few more spots to hit and clean up, then they'll get primed and painted! Realized we're less than 2 weeks away from CVII, paint might be a bit fresh by then. :D

DSCF0008_zps8dklxp7j.jpg

Got all the straps attached for the rest of the armor, just need to get these guys finished!

Fivezero

Welp, here's the shoulders all finished! The glue is drying for the straps right now as well. So with that, I can definitively say this guy will be at Celebration (I was getting really worried when I looked at the calendar the other day). Going to try and put it the whole thing on later this week, just to make sure I didn't forget anything (and ya know, a quick picture too).

DSCF0013_zpseobhhl6x.jpg

Fivezero

Boy that weathering really pops on those things with flash, doesn't look that dirty in regular lighting.

• Like 2