ATA/CAP Magma Trooper (Cancelled - see pg. 7)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I'm sorry too...I'm scared to death about the rest of my kit now. I think I hit most of it with the Krud Kutter at least once.

But hey, I *really* learned this time. There's no way I'll screw up another entire suit from this point on.

you are correct krud cutter cures most plastics basicly dries it out causing it to become brittle if you had posted what you used to clean your armor i could've advised to use plastic conditioner to keep it from drying out we learn in this hobby so now you are aware take it as a positive keep on going Mike :thumbsup:

Greg, could I use this "plastic conditioner" to return the plastic to its original state? Is there a specific brand I should be looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Rubber-Plastic-Restore-Conditioner/dp/B008AVAU2E

this is what you need a penetrating conditioner or any penetrating restoring conditioner as toddo said goo gone and goof off are derived from orange peel mildly acidic but safer and just a polish with novus will bring back the shine on applying the conditioner let dry repeat you want to do this with multiple coats to get it to sink in also on your build always post as much information as possible no detail is too small because were human we make mistakes but some of us may help you avoid a costly one as your now experiencing hope this helped :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B008AVAU2E

this is what you need a penetrating conditioner or any penetrating restoring conditioner as toddo said goo gone and goof off are derived from orange peel mildly acidic but safer and just a polish with novus will bring back the shine on applying the conditioner let dry repeat you want to do this with multiple coats to get it to sink in also on your build always post as much information as possible no detail is too small because were human we make mistakes but some of us may help you avoid a costly one as your now experiencing hope this helped :thumbsup:

Good to know. I'll have to get this ASAP. I have no idea when I'll start seeing other pieces crack, so this is a must-buy. I'll try to be more thorough in my work logs from now on. Thanks very much for your help Greg! :thanks:

• 1 month later...

Hey SpecOps!! I found something really cool in the mail today.

1899968_10200778328460609_463557069_n.jpg

I got the first pair of Karin S.' prototype red handguards and am super stoked. The color is a perfect match to my red ATA armor. I'm not sure when she plans to start selling these, but keep an eye out for em on FISD, as that's where she's active. She did a fantastic job on these and they were well worth the wait.

Hi Scott and thanks! Unfortunately, I have not made much progress since my last update. I've filled a few of the damages with putty, but that's about it. Gonna wait for the weather to warm up before I break out the bondo.

I'm dedicating my time to finishing a BH in time for a Mercs troop this June. :)

• 2 months later...

I'm glad to see you return to this project.

Did you weather on top of the already painted blaster? Did you use a white or silver paint? One good way to weather is to do a primer (gray/silver) and then paint it black. Once all that is try, take it out and scrap it lightly (ground, wall, whatever). This will help the primer layer show through and overall look more natural.

I painted a metallic base coat, then applied liquid latex to the areas I wanted to have show through the black paint. Once the black paint dried I rubbed off the latex. I like your idea of taking out and roughing it up a little -- I didn't think of doing that.

I'm thinking I went a little too heavy with the paint chip look.

CAM00745.jpg

Try dry-brushing some flat black over your metallic parts. That will mute them and mix better with the rest of the blaster.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Steve. Sad it is, but the it's the best way I can get it approved cost-wise. I've sunk way too much in it already.

I've nearly finished painting the whole suit white and am plotting out where I'm going to make some cuts. I might just make a separate thread soon, rather than continuing posting on this one.

For now here's a preview of what the chest plate is going to look like -- the pen marks represent where the dremel will be used :thumbsup:

10299906_735270313177290_39701057_n.jpg

I must say I find that interesting in Maine the mercs have more presence down here in Tampa and in Florida in general complete opposite lol. Well everything varies from state to state so its all good.

Im still working on my Deathwatch Torch so I will see you on the BHG Forums :).

Awwww well you have to do whats best for you so that is understandable. You can always be on the detachment boards if you would like but I know if ya have to move on you just have to move on.

Im sorry things got too costly and you couldnt finish the MT but it will be cool to see you work on your death trooper ive never seen one before actually :)

Goodluck with everything and thanks for keeping us informed and up to date :)

I must say I find that interesting in Maine the mercs have more presence down here in Tampa and in Florida in general complete opposite lol. Well everything varies from state to state so its all good.

Im still working on my Deathwatch Torch so I will see you on the BHG Forums :).

Awwww well you have to do whats best for you so that is understandable. You can always be on the detachment boards if you would like but I know if ya have to move on you just have to move on.

Im sorry things got too costly and you couldnt finish the MT but it will be cool to see you work on your death trooper ive never seen one before actually :)

Goodluck with everything and thanks for keeping us informed and up to date :)

Thanks for the kind words Dorothy, and I do plan to check in here from time to time.

I've been pretty lazy about updating my progress on the BHG for the past few weeks. I found the Mercs forums to be a lot more active. I'll post something over there shortly to keep the rest of you in the know. Just now looking at your latest DW build update has left me very impressed. Weathering looks great and the plates look very cleanly trimmed. EA seems to be making some good progress on the Pyro pack from what I've seen on Facebook.

I learned from my mistakes made during my Magma project and am looking forward to salvaging at least something out of it in the form of a DT. With a new car purchase and college loans needing to be paid back after next year, I don't have a lot of spare cash to throw around anymore. Starting a Mandalorian probably didn't seem like the smartest move to make money-wise, but it WILL allow me to participate in more events as an official member of a costuming group. I'm only 19 now, and I can see myself being in the costuming scene for many years to come. There's no reason I can't start another Spec Ops costume later on (when I have a more stable financial situation)! I'm thinking a Swamp Trooper would be best for my next one.

:D

No problem, besides the BHG could use some work in my opinion.

Yeah my progress had to stop as I am starting grad school in the fall and I had cancel the shadow evo trooper until further notice so I understand. times be tough :) I hope they finish the pyro pack before the end of the year that would be nice but so far it does look good and I cant wait until they are finished.

Yeup there is plenty of time for costuming so no rush. I look forward to when you start the swamp trooper hopefully it will be a litlle less complicated and easier for you to put together.

So yay :D

• 2 weeks later...