Death Trooper CRL - First draft

All,

The Death Trooper CRL is now live. I'll announce it on the legion forums after I post here.

It may seem like it but I do not have it out for SpecOps nor am I intentionally trying to crap in your wheaties. The Shoretrooper placement was utterly bungled by me. I still stand by the decision but I did not handle the situation well. I waited far too long to make a decision and it caused both camps to be dug in and emotionally invested in the costume. I regret my actions, or inactions.

Part of the reason it was difficult for me is that I've always had a great affection for the SpecOps detachment and its leadership. SpecOps has always been led the same way I tried to run FISD when I was DL, with a spirit of inclusion, transparency and a dedication to helping anyone who asks. I wanted to send the Shoretrooper this way out of basic favoritism not what was best for the legion. I'll likely be apologizing, not for the eventual placement, but for my bungling of the decision for years to come.

If I have the privilege and honor to be LMO again in 2017 I promise to find a way to improve costume placement before EP8 costumes start piling up.

With that said I gave the Death Trooper a TX not a DT.

I fully understand that the legion's two letter costume designations have become a strong source of identity for members. We wear them proudly on our racing shirts and other personalized swag. However that was never their intent to begin with. Originally they were a way to group costumes in the member database.

For many years we had a handful of them and all costumes were lumped into one of these groups. Somewhere along the way, around the time clones were at the height of their popularity things went awry. Suddenly there were seemingly more clone designations than all of the other costume types (not really but some days it feels that way). Philosophically I believe we should reduce the number of two letter designations for the sake of clarity and organization of our member database. That is why I have said no to creating new ones in 2016. Off the top of my head I've said no to TFA TKs being FN and Deathwatch costumes getting a DW. They are both TK and BH respectively.

That said I set aside my strong philosophical feelings for the Shoretrooper given the contentious nature of the detachment placement. As not to perpetuate the vitriol I gave them the ST designation rather than TB. I suspected that no one that was against the costume going to the bikers would have settled quietly for being a TB, as much as I still want it to be.

Here is a list of the current two letter costume designations as it stands now.

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 10.30.00 AM_zpsx9z8clxn.png

I hope even if you do not agree you understand my position. My other hope is that all of the approved death troopers are as proud to wear a TX on their shirts as they would be a DT, because you folks should have every reason to be proud to be a SpecOps members.

I'll also tell you what I told the FO TKs: There is nothing stopping you from putting DT-XXXX on your personalized merch. To date I have not seen a FO TK use FN on their gear, but they could.

Thank you for your time and patience.

-Eric

Awesome news :) Thanks Eric.

Sorry if I get a little excited but....

Yay, my first ever CRL is live :)

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thanks, Eric for posting that explanation. I am sure you were tired of hearing from me on this one ;), but I appreciate all the back and forth we had to make this another killer CRL published by Spec Ops.

I also want to congratulate all the troopers involved in this process. Each of you had a part in bringing this costume to life with your dedicated work, constant feedback, and persistence.

• Like 3

I also want to congratulate all the troopers involved in this process. Each of you had a part in bringing this costume to life with your dedicated work, constant feedback, and persistence.

Concur with Steve 100% on this I was just the editor at the end of the day. Thanks to everyone who contributed with ideas, discussion and research both here and elsewhere on social media.

Awesome job :)

• Like 4
CRL question. NSM scope, no language making the LED optional. Considering we never once saw LED's lit up, I'm sure it was a mistake and it was supposed to be optional. We should get that updated.

Derrek. It seems the wordsmithing that has been done has resulted in some of the detail being lost. The draft above does state the leds on the lid and scope are optional for that very reason.

• Like 1

Derrek. It seems the wordsmithing that has been done has resulted in some of the detail being lost. The draft above does state the leds on the lid and scope are optional for that very reason.

I'm happy to change it. Please paste the desired wording in this thread and I'll fix it as long as Steve is down with it.

Does anyone have a TK doll they can take photos of? I'll absolutely put that in the CRL :)

-Eric

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm happy to change it. Please paste the desired wording in this thread and I'll fix it as long as Steve is down with it.

Does anyone have a TK doll they can take photos of? I'll absolutely put that in the CRL :)

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Here is my Stormie Doll.

20170213_203452_zps3zuk9gij.jpg

NW3naV5_zpsxlinwsmp.jpg

• Like 3

-Eric

Hi Eric

I think the scope wording should be changed to:

"-Monitor sits on the left side of the helmet

- May be optionally fitted with a functional green LED to the front under emitter slot"

This would make it consist with the wording on the helmet description.

Thanks

Seems like an LED bulb or something like it should be there no matter what. It lighting up would be optional.

That is true :)

How about:

"- Monitor sits on the left side of the helmet fitted with a LED type lense to the front under emitter slot

- Optionally the LED may be functional emitting green light"

That is true :)

How about:

"- Monitor sits on the left side of the helmet fitted with a LED type lense to the front under emitter slot

- Optionally the LED may be functional emitting green light"

Why make someone go through the trouble of installing an LED if it's not going to be functional? I don't agree with requiring the light but I say if it is to stay, might as well keep the verbiage as-is. Personally, I believe the LED portion should be optional altogether. Just my two cents. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom-line question is is the lense visible on the costume when off...If it was so recessed you can't possible see it, than not a requirement. If you can see it when you are holding one of the buckets, than it would be required.

It's a very hard detail to see on screen, if not invisible in most scenes.

I'd vote that having a functional/non-functional LED be moved into a higher tier and L1 not having any optional LED, or in the case everything is L1, that the LED either way is optional.

• Like 1

It is still visible on screen and now adays we have added benefit of conventions with the armor right there to see and its present. In the end, we are talking the equivalent of gluing in a little plastic bead if not getting a readily available LED. No wiring required, not batteries required, etc. Would be easy to do. Hard to ignore what's on sceen.

• Like 1

It is clear that the LED is on the scope and therefore should be level 1. It is too obvious not to be!

The wording is such that having it functional is optional.

As Steve says it is an LED that will cost a few pence/cents and can be glued in place without a for holes to be drilled or batteries and wirng.

It is too obvious in the reference photo therefore it needs to stay!

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all. Question on the neck seal. Does the fabric need to be supported internally like a TK seal or can it just be stitched to mimic the ribbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk