Imperial SuperCommandos

Hey guys!

So I was watching the last episode of Rebels, and it immediately came to my mind the idea of building an Imperial Supercommando, and since they work for the Empire surely they could be in the 501st. However, I wasn't quite sure in which detatchment they would fit, since they are neither BH nor TKs, so I asked on the general 501st forums, and someone suggested that they could very well be part of the Spec Ops, since they are sort of a Special Force.

What do you think? With the material availabe could we make a CRL for them?

reb_ca_1831_bab1cbe1.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C965%2C864

imperial-super-commandos06_fb3dc0be.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1280%2C720

imperial-super-commandos09_75deb930.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1280%2C720

This is their official description by the way:

"Mandalorian warriors loyal to the Empire, Imperial Super Commandos were deadly and efficient enforcers. Led by Gar Saxon, the Imperial Super Commandos' armor was a distinctive and streamlined white, and their masterful combat abilities were eclipsed only by their ruthlessness. Under orders of the Empire, they destroyed the Protectors of Concord Dawn with no mercy, and sought to do the same to their missing leader Fenn Rau and any rebel opposition."

And finally I found out the shape of the cod piece, which was something that was bothering me

Cod_zps2gpuorlm.jpg

• Like 2
That was a great episode. We'd gladly welcome it here, too. If you want to take it on, we'll help guide you through the process of building the CRL and submitting it to the LMO. :thumbsup:

I'd really appreciate the help :)

I'm still new to all about armor making, but as soon as school's over (in two weeks), I'll have plenty of time to work on it and post my progress. For now I'm just investigating materials and gathering all the references I can.

• Like 1

Looks like a cross between a clone and Fett armor. I'd look through the CRLs from the clone trooper and bounty hunter detachments and see what pieces are already in existance or that might require minor mods to work. That will save all sorts of time. I'd be happy to help in anyway I can.

Looks like a cross between a clone and Fett armor. I'd look through the CRLs from the clone trooper and bounty hunter detachments and see what pieces are already in existance or that might require minor mods to work. That will save all sorts of time. I'd be happy to help in anyway I can.

Yes... it's sort of a cross between a concept Boba and a concept Stormtrooper, however the only piece that is more or less the same is the belt and the holster like plates of the CW mandalorians

aQJls.jpg

9400840508_7561c32c17_c.jpg

Boba-Fett-Ralph-McQuarrie-Concept-Art-0132.jpg

And the helmet looks more or less like a Mandalorian Executioner

88e9ec9596af909e4d3c341596c9ee2d.jpg

So, I think I'll have to sculpt everything myself. Which is actually what I want :P

• 2 weeks later...

I am loving this! The existing crl's will still provide a nice framework from which to move forward. First step is identifying the basic pieces and if they are fett or clone. From there details can be hashed out.

Thanks!!! In a few days I'll start the process of sculpting the armor and will post my progress to get some feedback from you guys :)

In the mean time, I've already gone through all of the CRL, and so far what I found is that the only parts that sort of resemble what we see in the Imperial Supercommando are:

- Deathwatch: Belt, Codpiece and Thigh armor (only the basic shape)

DW_Airborne_Cod_Ver_A.jpgDW_Airborne_Belt.pngVizla_S4_Thigh_Armor.jpg

- Stormptrooper concept: Chest (again just the basic shape)

Stormtrooper_Concept_Chest.jpg

- Commander Cody Phase II (ROTS): Jetpack (and again basic shape)

CODYJetpack_copy_copy.jpg

And that's all I found that resembles the armor of the Supercommandos, everything else has no previous reference

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there! I was also interested in constructing this costume. I have a bunch of HQ screens from the latest episode that features the Commandoes in better lighting. I've already started to source some soft parts, and I have a SO that is big into prop making that will help me construct some prototypes out of worbla.

Consequently, we were also thinking worbla would work better in general due to the easier to sculpt nature of it and ability to worked with better to create the more seamless contacts or even completely seamless (something much harder to do with ABS, fiberglass, etc.)

But I'm in the same boat as you -- no idea what I'm doing!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I was also interested in constructing this costume. I have a bunch of HQ screens from the latest episode that features the Commandoes in better lighting. I've already started to source some soft parts, and I have a SO that is big into prop making that will help me construct some prototypes out of worbla.

Consequently, we were also thinking worbla would work better in general due to the easier to sculpt nature of it and ability to worked with better to create the more seamless contacts or even completely seamless (something much harder to do with ABS, fiberglass, etc.)

But I'm in the same boat as you -- no idea what I'm doing!

It would be great if you could post your work here as well, so we can help each other out :)

I agree that worbla may be easier to sculpt, however for the chest armor I think I'm going to sculpt in MDF or clay, since my goal is to make a mold out of it, but I'd really like to see how your's is turning.

Btw, I finally finished the 3D sculpt of the helmet!!! Now we're just making some minor tweeks and adjusting the scale.

Render%20Supercommando%203_zpswklyp7y4.png

Render%20Supercommando_zpsegrnhxrz.png

We'll be making ribs using the 3D model, and laser cutting them with MDF. Afterwards we'll be filling everything with polyurethane foam and detailing with Bondo... There's a long road ahead, but really worth it. I'll be posting my progress as soon as there's some :P

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Nice work so far! I've yet to make any progress on the armor myself, working with a tailor on the soft parts first. I keep going back and forth on if I should mold the armor of just make it a one-off. Once school lets out for summer I'll have plenty of time to crack down on it though!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you guys don't mind me posting here. I just started my build and I'm hoping to have it done around the end of June to mid July.

So far I've ordered a shirt that should work, fabric for the neck seal, patches for the shoulders, gloves and a helmet base.

This is the helmet I bought and I'm going to do extensive mods. https://www.etsy.com...visor?ref=hp_rv

I'll post pictures when everything comes in.

Now on to my current build progress. I figured out measurements for most of the plates from the reference images and started patterning everything. I decided to have the lower abdominal plate free floating. The upper two sections I'll have connected with strapping. All the plates are made out of 3mm sintra and the panel lines are etched in with a file.

Lower abdominal plate

Pl6ou8e.jpg

JJlFldw.jpg

4SUCIDI.jpg

LXglU9G.jpg

Cod plate - painted and weathered

yes0MHg.jpg

pR77y3w.jpg

Thigh plates - they need a bit more shaping to smooth them out

N9UNw2p.jpg

sqVlHZ6.jpg

Hand plates - they're darker in person

9g2SrsR.jpg

Thanks!

I made some more progress today. I cut and shaped the upper abb plate and cut out the front half of the chest armor. The upper plate still needs to be trimmed some to increase the taper in the front. I also discovered that it's large enough to put on without a seam on the side so I'll glue the two halves together.

NIGnVR4.jpg

2EH5nfh.jpg

I also cut out all the parts for the belt and cut and shaped one of the shins.

Here is a rough draft of a CRL you can use. It's modified from the Merc's CRL and my own observations from additional screenshots.

Helmet

*Animated style helmet to match visual references is required.

*The dome has a smooth transition into the helmet base without a brow ridge.

*The helmet has embossed lines that outline the upper portion of the visor and extend around the back of the helmet. Additional line details outline the red inverted traingle on the forehead. Two verticle lines extend from the bottom of each earcap and end at the bottom edge of the helmet.

*The bottom mouth portion of the helmet must be recessed from the rest of the face and feature six "teeth", three on each side of the vertical visor section.

*The helmet must feature a black visor that is dark enough to hide the wearer's face. Visor material must be visible in the vertical visor slit of the helmet.

*The helmet must have an inverted red traingle in the center of the helmet dome front.

*The helmet must have two oblong earcaps.

*The left will extend half way down the helmet base and features a small raised circle and one tapered antenna that extends to be level with the top of the helmet dome.

*The right earcap has a cut out facing the back of the helmet. It extends 4/5th of the length of the helmet base. The earcap features a panel line on the front edge. THe earcap features a raised circle detail and two tapering antenna, the front antenna being longer than the rear.

*The back half of the helmet must have a quarter-round rib detail along the bottom edge running from one earcap to the other.

*The helmet must feature a raised rectangular section on the helmets inset back panel. This section must feature three embossed details to match visual references.

*The rear of the helmet must feature two white, two-part decals flanking the raised rear panel detail.

*The helmet dome, faceplate, rear dome, earcaps, mandibles, teeth and rear raised panel must be painted white. The cheeks, rear helmet inset, rear panel detail squares, the area under the earcaps, and the section between the teeth must be light grey. All line details must be black.

*The helmet must be painted and waethered to match visual references.

Flight Suit

*Two piece construction.

*The top will be a form-fitting, long sleeved white shirt, featuring vertical ribbing.

*The shirt will feature red imperial cog with white background patches on each upper bicep.

*Pants must be made of white medium weight material. The pants must be form-fitting. The pants must appear to be a six panel construction to match visual references. This can be accomplished with cosmetic stitching.

*The pants will be tucked neatly into the shin armor.

*The shirt and pants will be weathered to match visual references.

Neck Seal

*The neck seal is constructed from fabric visually matching the shirt material and featuring the same vertical ribbing.

*The neck seal is dark brown to match the gauntlet, shin and hand plates in color.

*The neck seal will come to the wearer's jaw-line in a turtleneck fashion.

Boots

*The boots will be ankle length and will not have any visible vippers, laces or other closure methods.

*White leather or leather like material.

*The sole will be painted white.

*The sole will be flat or may feature a small heal.

Gloves

*White in color

*No seams on the top of the hand.

*Cloth only.

*No straps or closures.

*Will be tucked into the gauntlets.

Hand Plates

*The hand armor must appear to be at least 3mm thick.

*Gauntlets must overlap the bottom edge of the hand plate.

*Any visible gap between the bottom edge of the plate and the gauntlet should be covered with dark brown material or leather to match plate color.

*Feature an embossed inverted triangle.

*Will be painted dark brown with the inverted triangle painted white.

Gauntlets

*The gauntlets will be made of plastic or other rigid material and will appear to be at least 3mm thick.

*The gauntlets must have rounded edges and wrap around the wearer's arm in a seamless appearance.

*The gauntlets feature a protrusion extending slightly past the elbow.

*Both gauntlets must feature an orange and a red button. The orange being on top and the red being on the bottom.

*Must be painted dark brown with white panel ine outlining the elbow protrusion. Must be weathered to match visual references.

Torso Armor

*Imperial style three piece construction, made up of upper and lower abdominal plates and chest plate.

*Must appear to be at least 3mm thick.

*The chest armor will appear to be one piece wrapping from the chest over the shoulders, reaching slightly past the shoulder blades in the rear. Will feature a neck opening just large enough to allow the head to pass through.

*The chest armor features a semi-circle cut out in the center of the front facing lower edge.

*The chest armor will taper vertically resulting in the front being shorter than the back.

*The chest armor will overlap the lower abdominal plate.

*The upper abdominal plate will wrap fully around the wearer and appear to be seamless. (A small seam on the side or back is acceptable).

*The upper abdominal plate will taper vertically so that the front is shorter in the back.

*The upper abdominal plate will feature two semi-circle cutouts, one on the left and one to the right, evenly spaced and lining up with the line detail on the lower abdominal plate.

*The upper abdominal plate will overlap the lower abdominal plate and will fall underneath the chest armor.

*The lower abdominal plate will fall underneath the upper abdominal plate. It will wrap fully wrap around the wearer appearing seamless (a small seam on the side or back is acceptable).

*The lower abdominal plate should be taller in the front than the back to allow the other plates to overlap without a visible gap.

*The lower abdominal plate will feature two sets of vertical embossed lines on the right and left side. These lines will line up with the semi-circle cutouts in the upper plate. Inside the vertical lines will be an embossed rectangle with two line details diving it into thirds.

*Torso armor will be painted white and be weathered to match visual references.

Shoulder armor

*Will appear to be at least 3mm thick.

*Shoulder armor must be an upside down arc shape and should match the curve of the chest armor.

*If the shoulder plate is to be moveable the attchment method must not be visible.

*The shoulder plates will be painted white and be weathered to match visual references.

*Must feature two rectangular strap plates that are attched to the chest piece wrapping over the shoulders.

*The strap plates must appear to be at least 3mm thick and will be painted white.

Belt

*Must be made of plastic or other rigid material (can use leather or other material for the base).

*Must be about six inches wide.

*Must be white and constructed with sixteen plastic rectangular panels and a belt buckel with indented details to match visual references.

*Must include two white tapering hip pouches attached over each hip. The poches must have leather flaps to close the pouch with no visible snaps, velcro, etc.

*Must be weathered to match visual references.

Cod Armor

*Must appear to be at least 3mm thick with rounded edges.

*Triangular shape, tapering into a rounded off point.

*Features embossed line detail down the outside edges and ending in a vertical line 2/3 of the way down the plate.

*Painted white and weathered to match visual references.

Thigh Armor

*Must appear to be at least 3mm thick, with rounded edges.

*Tapering rectangular shape with short wings on either side.

*Front facing wing is longer than the rear facing wing.

*Embossed panel lines seperating the wings from the main panel. The main panel features an embossed rectangle.

*Must be painted white and weathered to match visual references.

Knee Armor

*Must attch securely to the shin via a hidden attachment point.

*Must have embossed line details to match visual references.

*Must be painted dark brown with white line detail and weathered to match visual references.

Shin Armor

*Shin armor extends down the sides of each foot.

*Must wrap fully around the lower leg and appear to be seamless (small seam on the side or back is acceptable).

*Must be painted dark brown and weathered to match visual references.

Jetpack

*The jetpack must include five main components, Two tapered flanking wing sections, one recessed rectangular plate, one tubular thruster, one small square detail plate.

*Must feature embossed line detailing to match visual references.

*THe wings will be painted white, the thruster and rectangular panel will be dark grey and the aquare detail plate will be orange with light grey details. The jetpack will be weathered to match visual references.

Blaster

*Stock must appear to be telescopic.

*Receiver must have two sets of iron sites. THe rear will be made of two posts and the front will be made of two posts with one circular cap set behind and between the two posts.

*The scope must be mounted in the center of the receiver on a single inverted trapezoid mount. It must have an ocular and objective lense both larger than the main tube.

*The receiver must be square in design with a single barrel protruding from the weapon with an inset barrel housing block.

*The receiver must have an inset rounded square detail on the right and left sides toward the front of the weapon.

*The receiver must have an inset rectangular detail on both sides of the main body of the receiver.

*The receiver must have an inset circle and rectangle detail on both sides of the receiver toward the stock.

*The stock must have an inset circle detail on both sides and an obvious butt pad.

*The pistol grip must be a blocky design and must feature line details that match the visual references.

*The rifle must contain an elongated, rectangular trigger guard.

*The main receiver is painted a dark grey. The secondary details on the receiver, barrel block and scope are a light grey.

*The sight posts, trigger guard, grip, barrel, and stock are black.

*The blaster must be weathered to match visual references.

Hey Torolf! I love the progress. I've been contemplating using Sintra so I'm glad to see it looks more than do-able with it.

A few constructive observations, if I may:

The lower ab plate: On the on-screen troopers, the 3 squad detail. It consists of two rectangles squishing a smaller rectangle in the middle ( [ ][ ][ ] like so)

The upper ab plate: The on-screen troopers have a much shallower curve. The curve you made matches the chest armor's center cut better.

Both details should probably also be more aligned with your nipples, based on what I'm seeing. Yours look like they're a bit too far apart.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got ton of updates. First off are the soft parts. I decided that baseball pants were the best option and I'll just take the legs in a bit, close up the pockets and add the panel lines. I'm using these since they only have the single logo and it can be covered with the thigh plates.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-clean-up-baseball-pants/pid1280994-075

I used this shirt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY9DBZM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut off the bottom half to use to make the neckseal then attached the top half to an underarmour shirt. I dyed the neckseal and surrounding area brown and attached the Imperial cog patches.

R5ZFi0P.jpg

lp7o3HX.jpg

I couldn't find any pre-made patches that would work so I made mine out of leather.

I bought a pair of Funtasma trooper boots and painted the soles white.

8a4P7Kd.jpg

I bought a pair of white band gloves and glued the hand plates on with an extra leather panel to cover any visible gap between the plates and gauntlets.

ZVGzBE6.jpg

I attached the cod to the lower ab section and glued the side seams on the upper ab. I also etched the trim line on the upper ab.

9uKvpo7.jpg

I figured out that leather handcuff pouches are the perfect size and shape. Luckily I had several old ones from work. I added thin leather to the front to cover the snap and basket weave pattern then painted them.

iV7c3MW.jpg

vrRNSIo.jpg

I made the belt out of leather with sintra panels, buckle and velcro closure. The panels and buckle are 5 1/2" tall and there are 16 of them.

8FG3OnQ.jpg

4WURruo.jpg

dI6b5Lo.jpg

I finished my jetpack. The fuel cells were the hardest part. I made each of them out of two mirrored panels of 3mm sintra. I heat formed the panels using a metal bowl then glued the two halves together along the outer edge. I added filler strips of sintra for the remaining edges. The panel lines were etched in with a small file. THe whole thing only weighs three pounds.

Bpw6rNc.jpg

APOAgga.jpg

iB2PSlM.jpg

Last is the helmet. The base helmet came in from etsy. I expanded the face section since it was too narrow and cut out the vertical and horizontal visor sections. I still have to add the lower cheek pieces.

S0hlvuS.jpg

The earcaps were molded with the helmet so I cut them out and filled the gap with sheet metal. Since then I glued in sintra panels and started bondo and sanding.

6scLFXh.jpg

I removed the rear ridge and moved it up 1/2" to form the rear recess area. I'll be adding the raised panel and quarter round rim and blending the brow ridge into the dome later this week. From there it's a ton of filling and sanding, new earcaps and etching in all the panel lines.

F6BNasl.jpg

I did a lot of work over the weekend and all I've got left is finishing the blaster, mounting the knees to the shins and weathering everything. I should have the entire kit finished by this Saturday and take app pictures for the Mandalorian Mercs Sunday.

Is there any update on the CRL? I'll do anything I can to help.

• Like 1

CRL has been drafted up just needs to be looked over so that will be on top of the list since it seems you are just about finished. Dont forget to post up some pics in here as well so we can see!!! I am looking forward to this and we will keep ya updated about the CRL. BTW if everything is on the up and up with your costume would you mind providing individual pics of your armor pieces as well as a full front and back which most likely will end up on the completed and final CRL. Thank you very much :D

I did a lot of work over the weekend and all I've got left is finishing the blaster, mounting the knees to the shins and weathering everything. I should have the entire kit finished by this Saturday and take app pictures for the Mandalorian Mercs Sunday.

Is there any update on the CRL? I'll do anything I can to help.

CRL has been drafted up just needs to be looked over so that will be on top of the list since it seems you are just about finished. Dont forget to post up some pics in here as well so we can see!!! I am looking forward to this and we will keep ya updated about the CRL. BTW if everything is on the up and up with your costume would you mind providing individual pics of your armor pieces as well as a full front and back which most likely will end up on the completed and final CRL. Thank you very much :D

Thanks for the reply. I'll be posting a bunch of pictures Sunday so you can see if the kit is up to spec. If it is I'd be glad to provide pictures for the CRL.
  • Like 1

Hey just following up :D

Thanks for the reply. I'll be posting a bunch of pictures Sunday so you can see if the kit is up to spec. If it is I'd be glad to provide pictures for the CRL.