Purge Trooper (Phase II) - Kenobi - Discussion

I thought I posted this last week, but it's still in my draft window. So here it is:

Do we have any pictures from the back? It would help to verify. We'll also need them for the backpack when we get to it.

I know one of the guys who was on set should be able to answer this fairly quickly. 

If there isn't a closure, does it fit over your head? The one I've already made needs a closure. I couldn't get my head through the neck hole without it. 

I agree with Daniel that there is probably a closure toward the back of the shoulder. I can also go back to the episode of Kanobi and see if I can find a reference. Real images of the back are hard to find. We only have the hot toys model. That's not a great resource as we've discussed. 

I did go frame by frame over the series and the behind the scenes special for more shots, but those in the reference gallery were the only ones of any use.  So we might just need to stick with the usual velcro style closure in the absence of anything contradictory.  In saying that, I'd still feel happier about it if anyone from the set was able to corroborate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I am new in this forum of the 501st, but I simply fell in love with the phase 2 Purge Trooper. I have had a look at the Purge trooper's boots.

The boots used, that can be best seen in the picture of the actor only wearing the under suite, might be of a same or similar cut, as the TK boots used in R1, but completely black. Good indices for this are the zipper on the inside of the boot and the seams running top to bottom.

image.thumb.png.973dbed09f874369d2c85cb05516dc79.png

yhp9.thumb.jpg.1c0d166906f56987c20c5fe10e30c282.jpg

One might say, that the upper front area of the shoo might look ribbed, as seen in the first picture, however I thing that is due to wear and tear of the used boots and is not always visible as seen in the second picture.

As comparison here are the black trooper boots from R1 as sold on Keep Trooping.

ktbootss.thumb.png.25600bbd9bb483f4a6ca2dcb24d15233.png

What do you think?

Yes I totally agree! I've been trying to get my range trooper done so haven't been on the fourm for a bit. I was going to say the same thing. They definitely appear to be black R1 tk boots. 

Suggested draft:

Black R1 style TK boots

Boots are made from leather or a leather like material and are completely black in color

Boots are all leather with no elastic cut outs for cuff

Boots have an inner zipper that replaces the elastic cuff

Zipper must be black in color

No Problem! Let's restart the Discussion again :banana:

After having a look at the crl for the R1 TK I suggest the following changes.

Concerning the boot style, the crl of the R1 TK crl refers to the style of the FO TK boot

Suggested draft:

Boots are ankle high and the same style as the First Order TK boot.

The boot sole is black and is flat without a heel.

Boots are made from black leather or a leather like material with no elastic cut outs for cuff.

Zipper must be black in color.

As a remark the on the boot's soles, in no picture the soles appear to be red, but rather all black, contrary to the Phase 1 Purge Trooper soles seen in Fallen Order or Jedi Survivor.

image.thumb.png.50130a0cbd18c8cc5a820e7300ff4a7e.png

I like those changes. The only thing we might want to change is referring the boots to an actual film. For example first order TK boot. The reason for this is allot of people use the elastic type boot for FO tk's cause of the armor peice that slides over it and covers it. Although we do mention the zipper itself this might create issues with the GML's with people arguing they are using a FO tk boot. Maybe we can word it like this

"Boots are all black, ankle high new Era style tk boots"

That way a specific costume or film is not mentioned.

OK that is interesting, adapting your advice it would look like the following.

• Boots are ankle high new Era style TK boots
  • The boot sole is black and is flat without a heel
  • Boots are made from black leather or a leather like material with no elastic cut outs for cuff
  • Boots have an inner zipper that replaces the elastic cuff
  • Zipper must be black in colour.

I left the mention to the boots colour in the same line mentioning the material. The mentioning that no elastic cut outs are permissive should be cut as well in light of your post.

Further more the R1 TK boot crl also states the following as a requirement for level 1 certification, I guess due to the same matter you brought into play. What do you think of adapting it for our case as well?

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• The wearer's inner side of the boots have zippers and no side elastic

We'll have to get tipperaryred to review this. I'm wondering about being so specific about the sole of the boot. I had a hell of a time finding anything close. I did find a more flat sole but it still has a fairly heavy tread that I'm debating about grinding off.  Keeptrooping is the only studio that I've found that offers the exact match and they only open up for a limited time to take orders and then close their catalog until they get caught up. I suggest that we consider being a little more relaxed for basic approval and add the more descriptive information for level 2. That makes it a little easier for people to source something. 

I basically copied the Part describing with the sole from the R1 TK crl, but I totally get what you mean. How about the following:

Boots are ankle high new era style TK boots

The boot including the sole is black and is flat without a heel

Boots are made from leather or a leather like material

Zipper must be black in colour.

The wearer's inner side of the boots have zippers and no side elastic

The sole is is flat without a heel

Sorry for not being as active in recent weeks, and thanks a million for keeping the ball rolling forwards. I should have a little free time the next few days, so I'll make sure a detailed catch-up here is at the top of my to-do list.

• Like 2

Working off Max's last draft, changes in orange and my own notes/comments in green.

Just to start off, I'd fully agree that the R1 black trooper boots from Keep Trooping are a solid match.  I'd also agree we want to keep this as open and flexible as possible for Lvl1.

Boots are above ankle height, similar in style to FOTK boots.

(I think this is keeps things simpler, as "New Era" will definitely confuse some people.)

Flat black soles, without a heel.

(NB. While the sole should be flat in profile, we don't need to say anything specific about the tread.  There *could* be a small tread there for all we know - none of the visual references prove differently).

Boots are made from leather or a leather like material.

Boots have a full height inner zipper.

(I removed any mention of elastic for Lvl1 as again, this could cause confusion).

Zipper must be black in colour.

The wearer's inner side of the boots have zippers and no side elastic.

The sole is is flat without a heel

(I think this feature is important enough that it should be required at Lvl1, so does not need to be repeated here.  Certainly it is a basic Lvl1 requirement for both the FOTK and the R1TK boots)

Finally, I don't think there has been any mention of the spats yet?  These are extremely different in style to the FOTK spats, as they sit only on the instep and are attached under the boot.  The FOTK spats sit below the ankle and are strapped around behind the ankle.  Do we know whether these are leather, fabric, or hard plastic attached to elastic/fabric?

Spats-Copy.thumb.png.f67e753e332c1ce7238b0305fc68fd38.png

image.png

To my knowledge the spats are the same material as the armor. That's how my kit is designed. And yes, they do secure under the boot. We haven't discussed this yet on the forum l, as I assumed it was part of the armor and we are still focused on the soft parts. 

Perfect.  Yes, the spats will probably have their own place in the CRL as hard parts in that case.  If they had been leather or fabric we could have just included them in the boot text.

The only real bearing they have on the boots is that they obscure the lower part of the boot seams.  The FOTK mentions "a seam down both sides of the front that swoops out to the side of the foot", but given the poor reference images and the amount that's hidden by the spats, I'd say it's safest to leave any mention of seams out of the text?

the spats are the same ones used on the new clone troopers. I emailed FBFX (the company that made both the new clones and the purge trooper costume) and they confirmed the base armor kit for the purge trooper is the exact armor kit they made for the clone troopers for the show. they just added the purge trooper details and greeblies to the armor. this is really good news because there is an Adam savage video where he goes over a screen used clone trooper costume at the FBFX warehouse. this shows up close and personal all the base armor that would be identical to the purge trooper. the spats appear to be the same as the clones but black and without the strap over the top. 

• Like 2