Purge Trooper (Phase II) - Kenobi - Discussion

Kenyon, there are 2 areas on your helmet design that I wanted to point out to you to. The first is the small rectangular shape below the vocoder. In the show worn images it is more square and there'e a shallow recessed line running through the center. Your design looks more rounded on the top and bottom edge and I'm not seeing the recessed line. It also looks like it comes out a little further away from the edge of the ridge that runs around the plate. The other area is the small rectangular shape above the visor. It looks to me like the outer edge of that shape actually turn out at an angle and aren't flat or follow the radius of the brow ridge. Take a look and let me know what you see.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Kenyon said:

For the teeth I don’t thing the base should have an option of being metal mesh because you can clearly see in this picture of the screen used helmet that it’s solid plastic and painted silver with no metal mesh anywhere on the mouth 

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAJpBT

My apologies, I forgot that part of our earlier discussion - my brain is still catching up from my absence. Entirely agree with your assessment on that.

How does the rest of the draft look to you?

50 minutes ago, tipperaryred said:

My apologies, I forgot that part of our earlier discussion - my brain is still catching up from my absence. Entirely agree with your assessment on that.

How does the rest of the draft look to you?

The draft looks great, for the led what more backing info do you need to confirm it’s orangish yellow? If I get another guy that was on set to confirm it so that there’s two onset people confirming it will that work or does it need to be a photo?

There’s a couple more things about the rectangle on the brow that need to be wrote in which is what Scott is speaking about  but I or him need to figure out exactly how to say that  because it’s a rectangle with the two bottoms corners flattened and pushed in with the sides angled out like wings sorta  

Thanks for pointing that out Scott, I’m looking at that with my designer now!

• Thanks 1

The LEDs are still a challenge. I look at the FBFX image and it's obviously a clear LED diode above a red diode. But they do make clear diodes that light up as a color, so that's not the best way to verify that. All of the Kenobi show screen captures that I've seen show it looking more yellow. The guy that you know, Kenyon, has told you its orange. I may have to go back and watch the Series again and that episode to see if there are any scenes that give us information. Kenyon, If you know someone else who might have Intel, then maybe we can get 2 verifications.

• Thanks 1

So I just asked my friend who wore the purge helmet on set again if the top led was orange or white and he said and I quote “orange definitely not white, like blinker orange on you car”

im trying to get him in here to talk about it possibly

• Thanks 1

Hi, Guys,

I'm Craig TK-77776. I was one of the troopers in Kenobi. 1st off, we stood in formation behind the purge troopers from almost a week. The lights are definatly Orange yellow, kind of like a blinker light on your car.

On top of that Im one of 3 who actually went behind the blue screen and got to wear it. Yes IT IS NOT WHITE!!!!!

I've been helping Kenon with his design and frankly its felt like I was critiquing someone's artwork.  But I have picked apart that thing from the smallest details.

Dont ask me by memory which light was on top but I know the color was not white!! I held it in my arms.

• Like 3

Here he is guys! The man,The myth,The legend, Craig Gaylord! I would not have been able to know anything near what I know now without him. He’s a fantastic guy and answers whatever he can and is extremely nice about it. 

Thanks again Craig for helping out with all of this 

• Like 2

Aaah Thanks.

Justin Dobies was the head stunt guy who let me try on the helmet. We were chatting and he asked me to hold his blaster. I told him we didn't really get to check out his armor because they were always in the front. He let us check everything out including the tiny cogs on the waist wrap (I know it has a differnt name). Then I guess because we always check out each others armor when we are trooping , I didn't really think about what I was asking but I said can I see the helmet and he let me hold it, then I said can I try it on? He smiled and looked around and said, yeah, go over behind the blue screens and you can , just don't let anyone see you. So, me and three others went over and took turns trying it on. The red lenses ARE REALLY DARK, intense RED!!! I mean like when you put on those red bue 3d glasses. That kind of red. 

But it wasn't till the next day that it really hit the 3 of us. We realized this will be a costume they use in other things, yet we got to actually wear the helmet. I'm still not sure what was cooler, being in Obi Wan or getting to try on a brand new trooper costume before anyone ever got to see it.

So, that's the story. Then while we had to be quite, Justin posted that picuture on Insta and someone tagged me that I was clearly in the background.

Anyway Im blessed to have had this incredible expierience and if I can help to get all that to the CRL I will be so honored.

• Like 4

Thanks Craig for joining the forum and taking the time to help us get the most accurate information to create the CRL. Trying to guess what it should be is definitely not the best solution. So having your input will be invaluable in this process and hopefully we can finish building this out that much quicker. So THANK YOU again in advance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, smoszer said:

Thanks Craig for joining the forum and taking the time to help us get the most accurate information to create the CRL. Trying to guess what it should be is definitely not the best solution. So having your input will be invaluable in this process and hopefully we can finish building this out that much quicker. So THANK YOU again in advance. 

Ahh thank you for that warm welcome.

What's so hard is that all the shots of them are so dark.

After that experience, I knew that costume was going to be one of my next future costumes. It was destiny😆

Glad to be on the team and that I can help.

• Like 1

Hi everyone.  Craig asked me to join this topic.  I was one of rhe the stunt team members and good friends with Justin.   But also was scheduled to play a purge trooper as well.  I did have rhe costume fully on.  I was the one that coordinated the 501st on the show.  I haven’t had a chance to read the thread and will do so tomorrow.  But more than happy to help with this crl.  I was also one of rhe clone troopers in the order 66 sequence 

• Thanks 2

It was too late for me to introduce you guys to him. But I wanted to welcome my friend,  Ardeshire, aka Equuspolo. He is the reason that at any of the 501st were in Obi-Wan Kenobi. He was the one that talked to Deborah Chow and suggested using us rather than CGI or extras. And then people were chosen from all over the California garrisons but most of them were from SoCal. Anyway, I think most of the people from my garrison were so tired they would just go back to the hotel after filming all day. But all the local guys they weren't going back to hotels so they would get together for dinner at the shake shack around the corner. Me and my other friend are the only people who decided that it was more important to make contacts and friends and went out each night and got to really know these guys.

Anyway, I saw all these different questions about the lights. The backpack and such as I start going through the thread here. I saw that there were number of assumptions that I knew were wrong. And at first I asked my friend who was the other trooper who wore the helmet and he said his memory is so bad, he doesn't really remember anything except for the little imperial cogs on the inside of the waist part. I still don't know what nothing's called. He was the one that suggested asking Ardeshire. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

So you guys think I'm an expert on the helmet. This guy has worn the whole costume and worked with the troopers on a daily basis up close. He should be able to help us on any of the questions, and correct any mistakes that I have missed.

Welcome Ardeshire!!

• Like 3

Welcome. We're so happy to see you join the group and offer up your help. The more expertise and members we have working together, the easier it will be to get this completed so we can all go out and share this incredibly cool armor as we troop. When I saw the Purge armor in Kanobi, I switched from a patrol trooper to building this out. I have everything done accept a way to get it approved. So I'm itching to get the CRL done.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, smoszer said:

Hey Craig. I think the waist thing you're asking about is the kama. The black and red leather piece worn around the waist. 

Yes that's it. I remember it being black background on the inside with little tiny red cogs and they were very small. Like the size of a dime.

Ardeshire do you remember the same?

• Like 1

Huge thanks to you both for chipping in with your experience, it's always a great help. We've had some very positive discussions already to get the draft CRL to where it is, and with you guys jumping in we may get there even quicker now.

So going by the "orange yellow" description from on set, would people be onboard with describing it as "amber", or something like it? It would give people a slight amount more latitude towards either the yellow or orange side.

• Like 3

The reference picture that we have of the kama show the background as red and the cogs as black. They're about the size you described and basically touching each other so there is very little red showing.

3 hours ago, batlord77 said:

Yes that's it. I remember it being black background on the inside with little tiny red cogs and they were very small. Like the size of a dime.

Ardeshire do you remember the same?

Well it wasn’t leather it was a vinyl material, black Matt on the outside and a deep red on the inside with chainmail like pattern that were actually individual imperial cogs in black on a dark red background.  They are about 3/8 inch each 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

Huge thanks to you both for chipping in with your experience, it's always a great help. We've had some very positive discussions already to get the draft CRL to where it is, and with you guys jumping in we may get there even quicker now.

So going by the "orange yellow" description from on set, would people be onboard with describing it as "amber", or something like it? It would give people a slight amount more latitude towards either the yellow or orange side.

What is this referring to?