Imperial Army Trooper - Andor - CRL Discussion

We need to make sure we are only using the Aldhani Troopers for the references here, even though we know that most likely, it is the same armor used for the Ferrix versions. That helps keep it on track for David, this coming from the King of random jumping ahead of everything posts. lol  My thinking is that once the CRL is done for the Adhani, then we can work on the Ferrix ISB Enforcement Trooper. 

• Like 2

I agree that references for the Aldhani trooper should strictly be based off the Aldhani trooper scenes in Episodes 5 and 6. I think we are still on track and not distracting @Blackwatch. The few recent references of the Ferrix trooper are strictly for comparison clarity. It is not my intension to use it as strict reference for the Aldhani soldier CRL builds. 

• Like 1

Boss man Mark has reached out to the LMO to request that we recieve the soft version without armor, under the same principle that a TIE Reserve is a TIE without armor.  The LMO has not responded but that reasoning is sound. 

Lets look at cleaning up the back:

Change Log 1.2

Back Armor  

Back plate is painted to match the chest armor and helmet. 
Back plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate.
Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

The backplate features painted details that vary from trooper to trooper. Acceptable colors for these details are either silver or gunmetal, but one color must be chosen. Mix and match of the detail items is not permitted.
There are 2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie.                                                                                                                                                              

Hose connecters are painted to match the strap raised slot , strap , buckle  and recessed box color. 
Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside, all painted silver or gunmetal. The silver or gunmetal paint does not leave the edge of the box opening.  
The vents at the top of the boxes are painted black inside each cell. may have the openings darkened with weathering. 

Four raised bars approximately .375" (10mm) long aligned to the top of the recessed box opening may be present.
The walls and floor of the recesses shall be painted to match the rest of the armor.

Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside that are painted to match the recessed box color. Light weathering is permitted. 

Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. The floor of the cut out and the walls inside match the color of the armor. 
Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.
There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recess.
There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.                                                                                                                          
There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.  The raised slots are painted  either silver or gunmetal grey.  
Shoulder straps are black and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle. The chest buckle shall match the raised slot color. 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
The hose fittings are angled forward

There is a recessed hole approximately .31" (7.8mm) above the top left corner of the left recessed box. 

There are two indented squares approximately  .25"x .25" (5mmx5mm) aligned vertically above the right upper corner of the left recessed box. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Boss man Mark has reached out to the LMO to request that we recieve the soft version without armor, under the same principle that a TIE Reserve is a TIE without armor.  The LMO has not responded but that reasoning is sound. 

Lets look at cleaning up the back:

Change Log 1.2

Back Armor  

Back plate is painted to match the chest armor and helmet. 

The backplate features painted details that vary from trooper to trooper. Acceptable colors for these details are either silver or gunmetal, but one color must be chosen. Mix and match of the detail items is not permitted.
There are 2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie.                                                                                                                                                              

Hose connecters are painted to match the strap raised slot , strap , buckle  and recessed box color. 
Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside, all painted silver or gunmetal. The silver or gunmetal paint does not leave the edge of the box opening.  
The vents at the top of the boxes are painted black inside each cell. may have the openings darkened with weathering. 

Four raised bars approximately .375" (10mm) long aligned to the top of the recessed box opening may be present.
The walls and floor of the recesses shall be painted to match the rest of the armor.

Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside that are painted to match the recessed box color. Light weathering is permitted. 

Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. The floor of the cut out and the walls inside match the color of the armor. 
There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recess.
There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.                                                                                                                          
There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.  The raised slots are painted  either silver or gunmetal grey.  
Shoulder straps are black and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle. The chest buckle shall match the raised slot color. 

The hose fittings are angled forward

There is a recessed hole approximately .31" (7.8mm) above the top left corner of the left recessed box. 

There are two indented squares approximately  .25"x .25" (5mmx5mm) aligned vertically above the right upper corner of the left recessed box. 

Only thing that stands out to me is this line:

Hose connecters are painted to match the strap raised slot , strap , buckle  and recessed box color.

Did the comma sneak in too early on the write-up? The strap is black, so I'm assuming it was meant to read like this?

Hose connecters are painted to match the strap raised slot, strap buckle,  and recessed box color.

Bumped the comma from in front of the word buckle to the end.

---

I know this is listed as "may" but would we want to make this an L2 line item? If not, I'm good if it stays where it is.  -- Four raised bars approximately .375" (10mm) long aligned to the top of the recessed box opening may be present.

All else looks great to me. Looking forward to the LMO response.

• Like 1

Good catch on that Oxford comma, which should not exist with the "and" following it. 

On the raised bars, we cannot see them on all, I would feel more comfortable with them being a permissive item.  
Should it be L2, the higher standard? Im kinda torn on that. 

lets try this.  As always, discussion is encouraged. 

Change Log 1.3

Back Armor  

Back plate is painted to match the chest armor and helmet. 
There are 2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie.                                                                                                                                                              Hose connecters are painted to match the strap raised slot, strap buckle and recessed box color. 
The vents at the top of the boxes may have the openings darkened with weathering.                                              
Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside that are painted to match the recessed box color. Light weathering is permitted.                                                                                                                                              Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. 
There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.  The raised slots are painted  either silver or gunmetal grey.  
Shoulder straps are black and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle. The chest buckle shall match the raised slot color. 

The hose fittings are angled forward.                                                                                                                            
There are two indented squares approximately  .25"x .25" (5mmx5mm) aligned vertically above the right upper corner of the left recessed box. 

• Like 1

Guys I keep trying to get this text to align ,instead of being pushed out like it is. I have put it in Notepad++ and it still will not line up after I paste it back in. argh. 

• Like 1

Tried to clean this up for @Blackwatch, looks good at the moment... saving post... and... does it look good?

Change Log 1.3

Back Armor  

Back plate is painted to match the chest armor and helmet. 

There are 2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie. Hose connecters are painted to match the strap raised slot, strap buckle and recessed box color. 

The vents at the top of the boxes may have the openings darkened with weathering. 

Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped.
There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.  The raised slots are painted  either silver or gunmetal grey.  
Shoulder straps are black and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle. The chest buckle shall match the raised slot color. 

The hose fittings are angled forward.                                                                                                                            

There are two indented squares approximately  .25"x .25" (5mmx5mm) aligned vertically above the right upper corner of the left recessed box.

• Like 1

Thank you! 

Its been a longgoing issue that no matter what computer I use, and I have several to work with, the text gets boogered. 

Im going to paste that to the first post of the topic, and finish out the back armor. 

Next will come the shoulderbells and the biceps; Small enough that we can work both at the same time. 

• Like 1

Here come the shoulders and biceps. 

This is direct from the Mudtrooper text. Ill make the edits that we know we do not need such as heavy weathering and montana gold cab yellow for the commander. 

Shoulder Armor

Each shoulder bell is a mirror image of the other.

The detailing of each shoulder bell is asymmetrical.

Shoulders should have a longer flat edge that covers top of bicep with a shorter flat edge that connects to chest armor.

Shallow grooves are present in a pattern matching the photo.

Shoulders are painted  matte feild grey and moderately weathered.  to match the armor and helmet. 

Shoulders are mounted to the shoulder strap via a bracket and 1 or 1.25" webbing strap. 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

Green color is similar to Pantone 350U overlaid with Pantone 433U.

Biceps 

Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip layer on top.

Left bicep is matte field gray with moderate weathering. 

Biceps are painted to match the armor and helmet. 

Right bicep armor is painted red with three yellow squares on the cover strip, with moderate weathering.

Each bicep may feature a slanted fishhook detail that is inset into the bicep top facing outward.

Left bicep color is similar to Pantone 350U overlaid with Pantone 433U.

Right bicep color is similar to Toyota Red 3E5.

Yellow color is similar to Montana Yellow Cab.

• Like 1

Shoulder armor we will need to talk about the left shoulder rank stripes vs none... stripes are gloss black... and white... 

Have we confirmed that the bicep armor has the slanted fish hook detail?

Sorry, should have internet access back today at some point. Would have been posting screenshots, etc. But hard to do all of that from my cell.

Will add content tonight if internet is back.

• Like 2

the fishhook is not visible in the shots we have posted for reference. Its at the top of the bicep, and covered by the shoulder bell. 

I did some paint tests. Black green, German Grey, Tamiya TS4, RAL 7016 etc.  

The 7016 is dark, almost as dark as the armor.  The spray TS4 is the not as dark as the Montana Gold Stealth.  So, so far RAL 7016 sprayed over black is the darkest.  Model paints are not durable, they are model paint and intended to spray on super thin.  A special color would need to be mixed for a custom spray paint at a paint shop. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

For the shoulder bells --

Optional rank stripes located on the left shoulder may be present. The stripes are painted on -- as seen with how the paint fills the divoted recesses are seen in photos below: ( ...and how it is commonly painted on [not decals] with other troopers in the series, Shore and Tank).

aH9O6qV.png

VdaOa6R.png

B6hLpok.png

For the optional stripes, there is one horizontal white stripe and two smaller black stripes above and below the white stripe. I personally recommend that we state that both the white and black stripes are a gloss sheen, at minimum the black should be gloss.

---

I think the bicep wording as @Blackwatch has it is good to go.

---

Thanks @Blackwatchfor testing all these paints to help with ID'ing options. I think you're right, we will likely have to source custom spray paint options from a paint matching company like: https://www.myperfectcolor.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TeaJay said:

VdaOa6R.png

For the optional stripes, there is one horizontal white stripe and two smaller black stripes above and below the white stripe. I personally recommend that we state that both the white and black stripes are a gloss sheen, at minimum the black should be gloss.

Not sure to see the gloss for the white. I would keep it for the black stripes only.

4 hours ago, Vanedor said:

Not sure to see the gloss for the white. I would keep it for the black stripes only.

Fair enough, I'm on the fence specifically about the white being gloss too... I just figured it would give a good seamless look if the white has it too..

This little corner definitely shows the gloss on the black, at least in my opinion...

TXkL0hX.png

For the white, here's some more digging...

uC84hZh.png

B6hLpok.png

3L8AAKH.png

7eBikN3.png

Maybe it's all semi-gloss or even satin... definitely not matte

• Like 2
On 10/24/2022 at 6:25 PM, fb501 said:

Yeah was silver on the back areas, on our ones they had just been clearly spray painted and not finished to a detail finish as they are never meant to be seen in detail.

Gloves I had were Dents make of gloves, they all came from a box marked rogue one so they are reused from previous productions

I know I'm jumping the gun and getting ahead of things a little bit, but I was wanting to get this started as the gloves are next on the agenda and very straight forward based on the info we know from @fb501's post above denoting that the gloves he had on-set were made by Dents... when reviewing the Dents gloves options on their site, it led me to only one option that it could be since the gloves have no upper hand adornments... the tops of the gloves are a smooth black leather... and Dents only had one model of black leather gloves with no upper hand adornments...

https://us.dentsgloves.com/products/daniel-mens-unlined-leather-gloves

U2cDumh.png

dCmX6nb.png

VraLdEu.png

NWubQAC.png

---

I ended up buying a pair of these gloves a few months ago when they were ID'd. Here are some comparison photos of me wearing the gloves holding my hands in a similar position.

S4oX3bL.jpg

stlSdbG.jpg

S9u3TeR.jpg

lsuaFDn.png

We can come back to this post when we nail down the shoulder bells and biceps, but just wanted to dump this info since I had the time to do so...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, pm07 said:

Will the striped version will be listed under optional accessories? 

I would say, technically the shoulder bell isn't an accessory. My suggestion would be to place it in the Shoulder section with each of the two options listed, similar to how the tank trooper CRL is written...

Here's the tank trooper example:

tJm00vj.png

• Like 1

Thats some crazy expensive gloves for basic approval. Theres others that look very similar for a lot less. Durable? maybe not. 

For the bells how about this:

Change Log 1.1

Shoulder Armor

Each shoulder bell is a mirror image of the other.

The detailing of each shoulder bell is asymmetrical.

Shoulders should have a longer flat edge that covers top of bicep with a shorter flat edge that connects to chest armor.

Shallow grooves are present in a pattern matching the photo.

Shoulders are painted to match the armor and helmet. 

Shoulders are mounted to the shoulder strap via a bracket and 1 or 1.25" webbing strap. 

Optional rank stripes located on the left shoulder may be present. The stripes are painted on. The white stripe is approximately 1" (25mm" wide bordered by a black stripes approximately 5/16" (6.5mm) wide.  The stripes may be semi gloss to gloss in color. 

Biceps 

Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip layer on top.

Biceps are painted to match the armor and helmet. 

• Like 1

I like the latest writeups for Shoulders and biceps. It's got my thumbs up.

-- 

Yea, the Dents gloves are pricey and do ship from England, so shipping to the US was pricey too. Not sure if a L2 will be desired for the gloves, if so, the only unique component for L2 would be how the underside of the wrist has a U-shaped recess to aid in wrist movement with how form fitting the leather is. Maybe the seam along palm where the thumb meets the rest of the hand... could see that as L1 though... Not sure if you would want to force this specific brand, doubtful due to limited stock.

I tend to get a bit obsessive with sourcing exact brands specifically worn on-screen when I am able. :D

Ok, so if we are all in agreement with the base text for the Shoulder and Bicep, we can move on.  I will let this remain overnight so people who are still getting home and logging in after work have a chance to look through it then we can get to the gloves. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, TeaJay said:

I know I'm jumping the gun and getting ahead of things a little bit, but I was wanting to get this started as the gloves are next on the agenda and very straight forward based on the info we know from @fb501's post above denoting that the gloves he had on-set were made by Dents... when reviewing the Dents gloves options on their site, it led me to only one option that it could be since the gloves have no upper hand adornments... the tops of the gloves are a smooth black leather... and Dents only had one model of black leather gloves with no upper hand adornments...

https://us.dentsgloves.com/products/daniel-mens-unlined-leather-gloves

U2cDumh.png

dCmX6nb.png

VraLdEu.png

NWubQAC.png

---

I ended up buying a pair of these gloves a few months ago when they were ID'd. Here are some comparison photos of me wearing the gloves holding my hands in a similar position.

S4oX3bL.jpg

stlSdbG.jpg

S9u3TeR.jpg

lsuaFDn.png

We can come back to this post when we nail down the shoulder bells and biceps, but just wanted to dump this info since I had the time to do so...

6 hours ago, TeaJay said:

I like the latest writeups for Shoulders and biceps. It's got my thumbs up.

-- 

Yea, the Dents gloves are pricey and do ship from England, so shipping to the US was pricey too. Not sure if a L2 will be desired for the gloves, if so, the only unique component for L2 would be how the underside of the wrist has a U-shaped recess to aid in wrist movement with how form fitting the leather is. Maybe the seam along palm where the thumb meets the rest of the hand... could see that as L1 though... Not sure if you would want to force this specific brand, doubtful due to limited stock.

I tend to get a bit obsessive with sourcing exact brands specifically worn on-screen when I am able. :D

And now I have to offer apologies for jumping the gun on the gloves. 

The following have been mentioned on the Officer's Forums for the "Non-Saga Officers," whose gloves appear to be the same as the Andor Trooper.  You will notice the smooth back, u-shaped recess on the inner wrist, and thumb seam.  All at $100 less then the Dents.  And at least one member paid slightly extra to make them touchscreen compatible (for those of us who like/need to be able to use our smartphones).

https://www.etsy.com/listing/611966182/men-leather-gloves-hsm2018?click_key=c8edd0d7ce10adf442d633deea269fcc375461ad%3A611966182&click_sum=3d235a2a&external_collection=&frs=1&sts=1

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wompet said:

And now I have to offer apologies for jumping the gun on the gloves. 

The following have been mentioned on the Officer's Forums for the "Non-Saga Officers," whose gloves appear to be the same as the Andor Trooper.  You will notice the smooth back, u-shaped recess on the inner wrist, and thumb seam.  All at $100 less then the Dents.  And at least one member paid slightly extra to make them touchscreen compatible (for those of us who like/need to be able to use our smartphones).

https://www.etsy.com/listing/611966182/men-leather-gloves-hsm2018?click_key=c8edd0d7ce10adf442d633deea269fcc375461ad%3A611966182&click_sum=3d235a2a&external_collection=&frs=1&sts=1

Great Dents alternative! Great find.