Imperial Security Trooper - Andor - CRL Discussion

This will be a thread for discussion of the Imperial Security Troopers as seen in Andor on Ferrix.

This will be the main listing and we'll tackle each part piece by piece (green is done, yellow is WIP, and red is not finalized):

• Helmet 
  • Goggles 
  • Hat
  • Tunic
  • Chest Armor
  • Back Armor
  • Shoulder 
  • Biceps 
  • Gloves
  • Belt
  • Trousers
  • Boots
  • Shin armor
  • E-10.5 Blaster
  • Baton 
  • Radio backpack

----------FINALIZED TEXT GOES BELOW THIS LINE------------

Description: Imperial Security Trooper: Andor
Prefix: TX
Detachment: Spec Ops Detachment
Context: Star Wars: Andor (TV Series)

Special Notes:

• The armor parts are painted black, and made from one of these (or similar) types of materials:
    • Fiberglass
    • ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
    • HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene)
    • PLA, ABS, PETG (3D Printing)
    • Polyurethane Rubber
  • 3D Printed parts are permitted but all print lines and other artifacts must be removed.
  • Blasters are not required for legion membership per our weapons policy.

Description: Imperial Army Security Trooper: Andor
Prefix: TX
Detachment: Spec Ops Detachment
Context: Star Wars: Andor (TV Series)

The Imperial Army stationed its black-clad Security Troopers on Ferrix to maintain order in the streets. During this time, a civil uprising endangered the peace the Empire sought to maintain. 

Helmet

• An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.
  • A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned with the rim.
  • The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is black.
  • The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.
  • A  raised lip covers the edge of the helmet rim.  The lip may be either molded in place, or added as a black trim. Trim shall not exceed 3/8" (10mm"
  • Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt.
  • The helmet is to be painted black to match the armor.
  • The helmet has a black chin cup with grey webbing strap. The strap has a snap connecting to a shorter segment mounted to the left side of the helmet. 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• The trim on the helmet rim is a black trim added to the helmet.                                              
  • The helmet has a 3 inch (76.5mm) web suspension with foam around the perimeter. 
  • Imperial Code Disks do not feature a notch or groove details.
  • Goggles and strap may be permanently mounted to the helmet, with the telemetry unit mounted directly atop the goggle strap. 
  • The chin cup is similar to a Rawlings athletic chin cup. 

Goggles 

• Goggles shall have an aged chrome or silver frame with detail painting and weathering to match reference image. 
  • Goggles shall have a trim around metallic frame. Trim shall be rubber or foam.
  • The Goggle strap mounts directly to the rubber or foam trim. 
  • Goggles have a green tinted lens featuring two flat panels on each side.
  • Goggle strap features two sizes of elastic. The thinner elastic strap attaches directly to the goggles and is sewn to the larger strap, which forms the main goggle strap.
  • The goggle strap features a number of buckles:
  • There are metallic buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 1" (25.4mm) elastic is threaded.
  • A large buckle greeblie on the back side through which the 1.5" (40mm) elastic is threaded. This greeblie features a square inset into the buckle matching the helmet color.
  • A black 1.5" (40mm) triglide is permitted on the right side of the buckle at the rear of the helmet. 
  • Goggles are worn just above the brim of the helmet.

• Serrated 1" (25mm) silver slide buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 1" (25mm) elastic is threaded.
  • Goggle straps are approximately 1" (25mm) and 1.5" (40mm).
  • 1” (25mm) elastic is used to attach serrated buckle to goggles.
  • Goggles and strap are permanently mounted to the helmet.
  • Goggle strap has the Telemetry Unit mounted directly to it on the right side of the helmet. 

Hat

• Fabric matches the tunic and pants. 
  • Bast of the hat is conical with a crown about 4"  (101.6mm) tall.
  • Front bill extends 3" (76mm) down , decorated with (5),(6),(7) or (8) concentric stitches. 
  • An Imperial code Disk is positioned in the center of the vertical "flap".

OPTIONAL level two certification ( If applicable):

• Disk does not feature notch or groove details. 

Tunic 

• A long-sleeved, black jacket that falls just to mid-thigh, with no visible zippers or buttons. 
  • Fabric is a plain weave cotton similar to duck canvas.
  • Has a high mandarin style collar with a left-over-right closure that rises from the front of the tunic.
  • The front closure overlaps left over right and rises from the hem at the bottom of the tunic to the top of the collar. 
  • Four rectangular pockets are present on the jacket front, covered by large flapped closures. Lower pockets are larger than the ones on the upper chest.  Lower pocket seams rest on the same seam as the end of the tunic
  • The rear of the jacket has a horizontal seam present near the upper back. Two vertical seams start below the horizontal upper back seam moving down the bottom of the jacket. 
  • Two black tunic hooks to hold the belt in place are permitted. If used, the hooks will pass from the inside of the tunic to the outside through holes on either side of the tunic at the hip. The belt covers the holes.
  • One pocket is present on each arm of the jacket, each covered by large flapped closures.
  • The top of the arm pocket flaps are in line with the top edge of the chest pockets. 
  • Cuffs on the sleeves are about mid-distance to the elbow. The material folds back on itself to form the cuff. 

• The front jacket flap will have rectangular stitch marks with a stitched X inside where velcro is attached to keep the flap closed.
  • Fabric has the appearance of waxed canvas or oilskin fabric. 
  • If left arm rank bars are present, the black fabric should be similar to duvetyn type of fabric and will  have 3 equidistant horizontal stitch lines through each rank bar.

Trousers

• Black pants matching the tunic and hat in color, type and weave.                                                      
  • There are no visible pockets. 
  • Trousers feature a long reinforcement panel on the front of the leg from mid thigh to below the knee.  This panel is double row stitched. It does not extend to the side seams of the trouser leg. 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable)

Gloves

• Black gloves made of smooth leather or leather-like material.
  • Gloves shall have all logos removed.
  • There is no decorative stitching on the gloves.

• Gloves shall have a U-shaped adjustment at the wrist.
  • Dents brand gloves or accurate replica of Dents gloves.

Belt

• Belt is construction from a non-textured leather or leather-like material. 
  • Approximately 2" (50.8 mm) in width, up to 3" (76.2 mm) is acceptable.
  • There are no loops on the belt.
  • A single large snap or rivet is visible approximately 1" (25.4 mm) to the wearers left from the buckle.
  • The buckle is constructed from a horizontally brushed metal, or metal looking material.
  • The buckle size is approximately 2 5⁄8" (66.7 mm) high and 4 1⁄8" (104.5 mm) wide with 0.5" (12.7 mm) radius rounded corners.
  • Buckle is adorned with a Rogue One type Code Disk without grooves at the center. The belt is worn above the top of the lower pocket flap top edge.
  • The belt features two boxes, one on either side of the buckle.
  • The boxes are Rogue One style boxes, the dimensions are approximately 3" (76.2mm) tall x 2" (50.8mm) wide, x 1" (25.4mm) thick.
  • Boxes shall be painted to match the armor. 

• Belt is made of leather.
  • Belt has a groove at top and bottom edge of the belt along its length.
  • Belt boxes are smaller than Rogue One boxes, being 2.5" (67mm) tall x 1.75" wide (45mm) x 1" (25.4mm) thick.
  • Belt boxes feature a pill shaped indentation at the top of the box.

Boots

• Boot rises to no higher than mid-shin, and is leather or a leather-like material. 
  • There are no laces, decorative stitches, embellishments or buckles on the instep.
  • If seams are present they are at the rear only. 
  • A single adjustment strap at the top outside of the boot may be present. The buckle is no wider than 1" (25.4mm).  This need not be functional. 
  • Strap adjustment buckle is dingy gunmetal color, or dingy grey. It shall not be shiny / chrome. 
  • Zippers on the inside of the boot are acceptable as long as they are concealed. 
  • If the zipper is not covered by a vinyl or leather strip, it is painted black. 
  • For basic approval the soles may feature a more agressive tread. 
  • German Bundesmarine Navy Sea Boots (or authentic replica) are most canon. 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (If applicable):

• Boots are made of leather. 
  • German Knobelbecher Bundesmarine or Knobelbecher Bundeswehr style, accurate in hieght and design.
  • Sole is low-profile with no hobnails, a modest heel and modest tread. 
  • Rectangular reinforcement stitching on the upper shaft does not have an "X" stitched into it. 

Shin Armor

Baton

• Metal or metal-like tube. Approximately 12 inches  (30.5cm) in length when collapsed. 
  • Rounded caps on each end, metallic grey or silver in color.
  • Has grips on both ends that leave only a small gap in the middle of the baton.
  • Grips may be made of neoprene or foam, and may be ribbed or left plain. 
  • One end of the baton may "extend" approximately 10 inches (25.4 cm).
  • Baton is only present when the holster is present. 

Baton Holster

• Hoster is mounted to the left side of the wearer's belt. 
  • Curved holder which fits around the middle part of the baton. 
  • Baton is carried n the holster at a slight angle. 
  • Lower part is curved. Baton is retained with a leather or flexible rubber strap. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Our CRLS will be handled one at a time. I have all the text written, but we need to wait for LMO review on the Aldhani troopers first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Blackwatch is correct.

We have been hammering away at the IAT Andor and it came around the time that elections were going on, so we have been a little delayed with that respect. Hopefully we can start pushing the framework on the IAT Andor in text form and start buttoning up/requesting images for that portion and then can move over.

I think that once we get the images verified for the IAT Andor CRL we can start laying this stuff out piece by piece.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Looking at the soft parts, this seems to be identical to the Aldhani Trooper, the fabric even has this brighter staining around the corners on pockets. I think it's fair to say that it's the same thing all around in the soft parts, except the color. 

4 Belt Boxes on some of the troopers are a nice touch. 

My initial thought on the batons is, that it might be the same as the Rogue One TK/Jyn Erso Baton? Looks like the big black rubber tip is absent or painted silver? Maybe somebody has a good screenshot on this? I've been struggling to find clear ones! 

Looks like there's some kind of D-Rings tucked between the chest armor and the shoulder strap mounts. 

1 hour ago, Detaleader said:

Looking at the soft parts, this seems to be identical to the Aldhani Trooper, the fabric even has this brighter staining around the corners on pockets. I think it's fair to say that it's the same thing all around in the soft parts, except the color. 

My initial thought on the batons is, that it might be the same as the Rogue One TK/Jyn Erso Baton? Looks like the big black rubber tip is absent or painted silver? Maybe somebody has a good screenshot on this? I've been struggling to find clear ones! 

Looks like there's some kind of D-Rings tucked between the chest armor and the shoulder strap mounts. 

I think your analysis on the soft goods are correct.  Here is the best image I can find on the batons...

andor1x12_2586 bcopy.jpg

3 hours ago, Detaleader said:

The baton is similar but not identical to Jyn’s. Hers is a little shorter and has the extra handle 90degrees out like a typical law enforcement baton. I cannot find any pictures or evidence to show the Rix road troopers have that extra handle

• Like 1

Troopers. 

Lets not get off track here. We will begin at the beginning, just as we did with the Army version.  The small components will be discussed only when we have finalized the discussion of all major components. Once those are cleared and locked, we will move on, BUT NOT BEFORE THEN. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Starting at the top, we begin with the helmet. 

Also, the color Montana Gold Anthracite has been brought up previously, so I want to get that into the mix early on. 

Proposal:

Helmet

An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.
A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned with the rim.
The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is black.
The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.
A  raised lip covers the edge of the helmet rim. 
Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt.
The helmet is to be painted black to match the armor.
The helmet may feature a black chin cup with grey webbing strap.

The helmet has a webbing style head suspension similar to work hard hats.
Imperial Code Disks do not feature a notch or groove details.
Goggles and strap are permanently mounted to the helmet, with the telemetry unit mounted directly atop the goggle strap. 

1 hour ago, Blackwatch said:

Starting at the top, we begin with the helmet. 

Also, the color Montana Gold Anthracite has been brought up previously, so I want to get that into the mix early on. 

Proposal:

Helmet

An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.
A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned with the rim.
The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is black.
The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.
A  raised lip covers the edge of the helmet rim. 
Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt.
The helmet is to be painted black to match the armor.
The helmet may feature a black chin cup with grey webbing strap.

The helmet has a webbing style head suspension similar to work hard hats.
Imperial Code Disks do not feature a notch or groove details.
Goggles and strap are permanently mounted to the helmet, with the telemetry unit mounted directly atop the goggle strap. 

Thank you for keeping us on track. And also thank you for bringing up the paint. 

Are the goggles going to be a separate item from the helmet in the CRL? -- EDIT I can read, I really can!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hoda said:

(and for those playing along, we will use this thread to keep track of reference images

https://forum.specops501st.com/topic/8798-imperial-security-trooper-andor-reference-pictures/)

Reference pictures will be dropped in there this evening. Sorry for the delay!

• Thanks 1

Good catch! We'll get that added to the reference image link. For now, let's focus on one thing at a time.

Eventually we'll get to the backpack - it's listed above. For now, let's go down the list one at a time and start with ... helmets please.

I don’t have a screen cap at the moment but during the riot, one of the troopers helmets gets knocked off and there is a really good look at the inside of the helmet. The whole helmet appears to be lined and the padding is black foam. Is helmet lining something to take into consideration? Maybe a lvl 2 thing?

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Hoda said:

Good catch! We'll get that added to the reference image link. For now, let's focus on one thing at a time.

Eventually we'll get to the backpack - it's listed above. For now, let's go down the list one at a time and start with ... helmets please.

Yep…. When we get to that point there are other examples.  There are three or four “plain clothes” watching from the balcony during the holo speech and Andor kills one going to Bix.  Before I forget, one thing I noticed is that all (on the balcony) have some form of silver spot on their lower left pocket area.

5 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Are there going to be different versions as there are for Aldhani?  I forgot (until looking through images) that Ferrix also has the troopers without armor but with the same tunic/pants.  I think this is the only example though.

asfd.jpg

The first Ferrix trooeprs we see marching are the black clad troops in no armor, so it makes sense. 

And dont get me going on this radio pack. I already have the frame and microphone. LOL

• Like 1
12 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Are there going to be different versions as there are for Aldhani?  I forgot (until looking through images) that Ferrix also has the troopers without armor but with the same tunic/pants.  I think this is the only example though.

asfd.jpg

We will be doing one thing at a time, starting at the top. All parts and versions will be covered, when it is time. 

We will not be skipping ahead, or getting out of place. This is Spec Ops, and things are done methodically. 

We will hold the discussion for the helmet open until we are satisfied that it is complete and correct. 

What discussion is there of the helmet, the current CRL topic? 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

We will be doing one thing at a time, starting at the top. All parts and versions will be covered, when it is time. 

We will not be skipping ahead, or getting out of place. This is Spec Ops, and things are done methodically. 

We will hold the discussion for the helmet open until we are satisfied that it is complete and correct. 

What discussion is there of the helmet, the current CRL topic? 

I do not see any differences between this helmet and the Aldhani other than what I already mentioned.  I do not think the goggles are permanently attached (which is a L2 for Aldhani).  In the riot the helmets get tossed around, fall off etc.  Ill have to rewatch, but I think googles come off in one shot.  The back strap definitely is not permanent as it rides up the rear of the helmet.

Sean I believe you are right, we had some evidence that there was something like 2 sided mounting tape on the goggle strap showing on the Aldhani troopers. The back of the Rix Road trooper definitely slides up. We know from Fraser on set that the goggles were at least mounted to the front, if not cast in place.  The lenses in the black Rix Road troopers seem to have their lenses which were partially lost by the time they were repainted for Aldhani. 

My Army goggles slide all over the place, its just a factor of a goggle and a strap on smooth surface and nothing to grip. Even if they were mounted it would not take much to knock them loose, and that fall to the ground during the fight would defnitely do it. You can even see the color of the lens here. 

We have the green troopers set to grey webbing for the strap.  I have to wonder if this strap is the same strap, mounted internally with no changes, and appears darker due to film lighting differences. 

• Like 1